NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Honestly, I'd be amazed if we saw Diamond/Pearl remakes in the more traditional style in the near future.

Gen 4 fans got shafted so hard by Let's Go. They were this close.

Uh...I wasn't expecting DP remakes in Gen VII. We got FRLG in Gen III, HGSS in Gen IV, and ORAS in Gen VI; since ORAS, I've been under the assumption that they're aiming for remakes every other generation (one reason other than the pattern being that they won't run out of material to remake too quickly), so I've expected it to be coming in Gen VIII for a while now. 

At the very worst, the introduction of Let's Go might have pushed the games back a year, and though we are probably looking at this game coming after potentially the longest break between remakes, I think that Sinnoh in the Sword/Shield engine would be more than worth the wait. 

@Hero-of-Time @Shorty @Jimbob and others have mentioned the lack of Pokémon in the overworld, and that's something I've been thinking about too. I think it's something that could and should be an option which could be toggled (I think I mentioned this the other day) -- encounter rates in a specific area were probability based for random encounters prior to LGPE, and I would assume that the same is also true for spawn rates in LGPE. It's always nice to have options. 

What I've been thinking is that there a couple of things not present in this reveal that do still have a chance of being in the game: namely, Pokémon in the overworld and a controllable camera. Let me explain.

If you'll recall, during the reveal for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, Junichi Masuda promised that another core series title was in the works, saying something to the effect of it being aimed at more experienced/older fans (and likely the Japanese market). From their perspective, a return of random encounters was clearly seen as a desire of more experienced fans -- as much is made evident by their presence in yesterday's reveal. From a PR perspective, I think that such a stance makes sense, given how relatively poorly the Let's Go games sold in Japan when compared with the West and previous core series releases. If their aim was to get Japan and more experienced/older fans back onboard with yesterday's reveal, then I don't think that they had much to gain by showing Pokémon in the overworld -- and if it's an option which can be toggled, perhaps that's something best explained in a Q&A during their Pokémon Day celebrations this week, or a demo at E3 during Treehouse (they had one for Sun/Moon in 2016, so this doesn't seem too Farfetch'd to me). 

What's more, from a promotional perspective, if this game does have an option for this which can be toggled on and off, wouldn't it be best to turn it off when recording footage for a reveal such as this? It saves them the meticulous work of editing code to ensure that no new Pokémon are shown in an unplanned way, which could in turn worry other fans that there are no new Pokémon coming at all, or not common enough to be seen...it has the potential to open up a pretty big rabbit hole. What's more, it's clear to me that they wanted the focus to be on the Galar region and how it looked in-engine; perhaps they feel that Pokémon running around in the overworld would have only distracted from their focus (I know that I would have been). I think that more evidence of this is that we only see one (?) NPC in the entire reveal (even then, that was only to show how trainer battles would be started), and there's no way that the routes and towns/cities/settlements are nearly as empty as we saw them here; that beautiful Route 1 shot at the beginning of the trailer made it very clear to me that they they've pared the game's contents back a bit for this reveal. 

As for a controllable camera, though much more unlikely, I'm really struggling to think of a way in which they could have shown that off in the trailer in an effective way which clearly illustrates that there is now a controllable camera. This is our first look at these games, so the pans and wide shots of the environment and following the protagonist around were to be expected -- as I said before, there was a real focus on showing off the Galar region. The smooth movement of cameras suit the purpose of the reveal and the focus on the world, and even if they had the camera completely circle the protagonist in a third person view, I still think it would be too smooth to convey to us that the camera can be controlled this time around. Again, if this is in the game, it seems like something best saved for a Q&A or demo.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

@Ugh first aid has notified me that most of the fanbase has designated the female trainer as Scottish.

Which is funny in and of itself, but it led to this.

Yeah, now it's my headcanon too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weird 1

Pokemon Sword and Shield seem great so far!

I'll be buying Pokemon Sword on day one. I'll be choosing Grookey, the grass type. Assuming there's a GTS, I'll get the other two there.

I'm slightly disappointed that there's no following Pokemon, but it's not the end of the world.

I'm very pleased battling wild Pokemon is back. I am a little disappointed that wild battles are triggered as a random encounter, rather than from interacting with Pokemon in the overworld, but it's no big deal either.

Anyway, Pokemon Gen 8 is the reason I bought my Switch, and so far so good!

Please be Pro Controller compatible, lol.

I know the graphical focus is going to be on the Pokémon but god damn Game Freak have you actually ever looked at the human characters? They're so ugly and weird.

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

I know the graphical focus is going to be on the Pokémon but god damn Game Freak have you actually ever looked at the human characters? They're so ugly and weird.

Seems close to the anime really? It's fine if you like that sort of style. (I don't, but I can overlook it really)

Edited by Glen-i

It's been a while since I've had a proper look at Pokemon designs. Did the faces/eyes etc always look so flat?

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

It's been a while since I've had a proper look at Pokemon designs. Did the faces/eyes etc always look so flat?

As far as the 3D games go? Yeah, pretty much.

The Pokémon models are the same as the ones on the 3DS.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

@Ugh first aid has notified me that most of the fanbase has designated the female trainer as Scottish.

Which is funny in and of itself, but it led to this.

Yeah, now it's my headcanon too.

Looking forward to battling the charv trainers who challenge you for money for their "bus fare".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Seems close to the anime really? It's fine if you like that sort of style. (I don't, but I can overlook it really)

If the anime characters wore flat plastic masks on their face that is too small for their body, sure.

15 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

The thing that I noticed in the trailer were:

- The shot where your protagonist walks into the stadium, he looks like he is wearing a sports outfit? Pokémon soccer?

Soccer? I think you mean football. :heh:

• Haha 1

Already come up with a nickname theme for this Gen now.

Last Gen I named all my Pokemon after video game characters

DjOZlguX4AAGANa.jpg

Kaepora Gaebora and the Blue Tektite from Zelda, Oki from Okami, Mickey Mouse (technically a cartoon character but I'm countin him for Kingdom Hearts), Biolizard from Sonic Adventure 2 and Tediz from Conker's Bad Fur Day.

This time around with the football theme in the Galar region I'm thinking of naming my entire team around footballers. Names will be picked if the surname can be related to the actual Pokemon itself, so calling a Grass/Fire type "Eden Hazard" (Eden for Garden of Eden, Hazard for Fire, name could also work for a general Grass Type)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GenericAperson said:

Already come up with a nickname theme for this Gen now.

I'm kinda leaning on the idea of naming my Gen 8 team the most humdrum and boring English names I can think of.

So stuff like "Tim" or "Paul" or "Sally"

Blue Tektite made me laugh though, that one was a perfect choice!

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

I'm kinda leaning on the idea of naming my Gen 8 team the most humdrum and boring English names I can think of.

So stuff like "Tim" or "Paul" or "Sally"

Blue Tektite made me laugh though, that one was a perfect choice!

I know right? I wanted to continue the theme and it seemed like an appropriate nickname for a water spider but I didn't anticipate just how well that fit!

She's one of my go-tos in Free Play on Battle Spot if I ever need to pick three Pokemon just because of the high damage potential from Water Bubble and how much she takes hits.

That screenshot was from before the final battle... so no wonder I had to do the Pokemon League twice!

Really feeling the Britain+Football theme aesthetic that this gen is going for. Had quite the laugh with that Scottish trainer voice! Also, the fact that Wales seems to have been deleted off the island.

I feel like I say this every gen reveal, but I'm tempted to get back in the series. Then I remember it's no fun if my closest friends aren't into it either.

If you want to give them traditional English names try Wanker, Bastard and Muppet

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Really feeling the Britain+Football theme aesthetic that this gen is going for.

Yeah, I really like the environments they've shown so far. Something about it feels quite fresh.

I wasn't too keen on the new starters at first they've grown on me.

Got a good feeling about this one, strangely hyped for this already and that's quite rare nowadays.

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

What if you flip the region upside down?

https://imgur.com/LQwY61x

Ah, I see... Only half of Wales got deleted. And the city I thought was London is actually Leeds. Live and learn.

7 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Ah, I see... Only half of Wales got deleted. And the city I thought was London is actually Leeds. Live and learn.

Speaking of that, I really hope this region's dragon Pokémon is inspired by the Welsh flag.

1200px-Flag_of_Wales_(1959%E2%80%93present).svg.png

Two reasons why I want this.

1. It'd be really cool. Especially if it has a weird spear tongue.
  2. When I catch one, I can nickname it "Welshy" and then whenever it faints, I can drop to my knees, joycons in hand and do this.

• Haha 2

The nefarious Team Plaid. Trying to reawaken the ancient dragon Pokémon to cause a cataclysmic event, where everyone is forced to learn a dead language.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1