NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

15 hours ago, Mandalore said:

That was really underwhelming. It's basically just a legendary Pokemon fest.

So... Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire then?

sword-shield-dlc.original.jpg

Pokemon Sword + Pokemon Sword Expansion Pass and Pokemon Shield + Pokemon Shield Expansion Pass is my favourite Pokemon game!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 5

Wasn't someone here complaining about how rubbish the box art for Sword and Shield were?

Hope you're happy now.

Next 2 Pikachu codes: P1KABESTW1SH & KAL0SP1KA.

On 11/10/2020 at 12:26 PM, markderoos said:

No word on Zarude yet, right? Other than a code with your cinema ticket in Japan?

Nope.

• Thanks 1

So, the beta for the games from 2018 is currently being streamed live over on Twitch. Imagine it'll get pulled sooner rather than later, but don't want to share it seeing as it wasn't legally obtained.

Ek4gjLNWkAAft78.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

Can find the stream over in this ResetEra thread. Though I think it's ended now.

Absolutely insane how many leaks have been coming out of Nintendo recently pertaining to their older games, but those were much, much older than this. 

The beta had:

- Pokémon not available in the full games in places where I think Game Freak said they couldn't be viewed? (i.e. just saw Greninja in a Camp)

- one heck of a cool logo and title screen

- a fully controllable camera. 

Worth noting this was some 18 months before release and that's how Route 1 looked. Not that Routes require the most time, and they could have been left until much later, but it does scream that the games were rushed to me (if it wasn't apparent before :p). 

It's been a year since the games released, and it still hurts to think about what these games could have been. Yes they were a runaway success, but man, it just really hurts not seeing Game Freak show any drive or pride in guiding this franchise forwards. It's the biggest entertainment IP in the world, a guaranteed success; this is the equivalent to seeing Star Wars Episode X in a decade or two be an amateur fan film by comparison, with CGI, design, and other technology outdated by some 15+ years, and then destroying the box office! 

As much as I want Diamond & Pearl remakes to hear what they do with the music, I have so little confidence in Game Freak delivering a game that's just on par with the games they would be remaking and released some 14 years ago for a much, much less capable system. I know some here and elsewhere enjoyed the game, which is awesome, and I'm not saying that Pokémon needs to go completely nuts, but just taking inspiration from games which are a decade old (or more at this point!), like Xenoblade Chronicles and Dragon Quest VIII, would go such a long way to pushing the franchise forwards. That's crazy to me.

There's just no excuse in my head. Some might say "but they need to line it up with the anime/TCG/etc.", but good scheduling and a big enough team would undoubtedly be able to handle this. It's frustrating to say it, but it is complete laziness from Game Freak; someone over there needs to grow a backbone, dig their heels in, and take the reins.

How have the games got worse over the last decade, considering that their design philosophies were admittedly already quite outdated by the time we reached the DS? It's been 7 years since they put out their first "3D" title with X & Y, and I still can't even use my right stick on my Pro Controller a generation later to control the camera, for crying out loud. 

GOr5.gif

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Pokédex cut for "balancing" issues is even more insulting than it was before with this stuff coming to light.

And of course, Mega Evolution was never meant to be cut initially. I always thought so, because it made a lot of Pokémon more viable for battles (Beedrill was not utter garbage anymore), even with the side effect of Mega Rayquaza. Dynamax is a poor substitute.

When I wrote up the N-E review, I decided to give Game Freak the benefit of the doubt when I scored it an 8, but now that I'm certain stuff was dropped to save time, I'm wanting to lower it to a 7, maybe even a 6.

An extra year would've made a whole lot of difference.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Told you all that Dynamaxing was only included because it was a cheap/quick way of having “Mega Evolution” without having to make unique 3D models & animations.

Edited by Dcubed

10 hours ago, Julius said:

I know some here and elsewhere enjoyed the game, which is awesome, and I'm not saying that Pokémon needs to go completely nuts, but just taking inspiration from games which are a decade old (or more at this point!), like Xenoblade Chronicles and Dragon Quest VIII, would go such a long way to pushing the franchise forwards. That's crazy to me.

I did enjoy playing the game but that's mainly down to the core gameplay still being fun, plus I skipped gen 7 entirely so it had been a while since I played the series. It's really frustrating knowing how great modern Pokemon games could be if Gamefreak just got with the times. 

And the fact they sold so well suggests they won't learn anything. Unfortunately if the sales had bombed I doubt they would have learnt anything either, they'd just focus more on Pokemon Go. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Told you all that Dynamaxing was only included because it was a cheap/quick way of having “Mega Evolution” without having to make unique 3D models & animations.

Probably right, in a sense. But there are some Pokémon that got new models for Gigantamax forms. (Charizard, Pikachu, a lot of the new Pokémon)

I have to wonder if most of those Gigantamax forms were meant to be Mega Evolutions at first? It would have meant having to tweak stats, typing and abilities though. So it was probably changed to Dynamax (Which only doubles HP, for every Pokémon) to save time.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Is that it for hat Pikachu now? :hehe: I got 6 in total. 

Nope, two more to go! One tomorrow and one next week according to serebii.

Edit: Who here by the way picked up the season pass? The Crown Tundra is dropping tomorrow, and I kind of feel like going back to this but I've barely heard anything about how people value it.

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Nope, two more to go! One tomorrow and one next week according to serebii.

Edit: Who here by the way picked up the season pass? The Crown Tundra is dropping tomorrow, and I kind of feel like going back to this but I've barely heard anything about how people value it.

I have recently been playing it again as I only dipped my toe in Isle of Armor when it launched. I’m looking forward to playing Crown Tundra over the weekend!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I haven't actually bought it yet. Hyrule Warriors is higher in my priority list at the moment.

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I haven't actually bought it yet. Hyrule Warriors is higher in my priority list at the moment.

I thought the Dynamax Adventures mode would be right up your street.

11 minutes ago, Ike said:

I thought the Dynamax Adventures mode would be right up your street.

It is, it's the best thing about the DLC, but I have limited funds and Hyrule Warriors has to take priority at the moment.

If only I could join someone else's Dynamax Adventure (Kinda like how people without the DLC can join someone who starts a raid from Isle of Armour), I'd be all up for helping out, but...

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

It is, it's the best thing about the DLC, but I have limited funds and Hyrule Warriors has to take priority at the moment.

If only I could join someone else's Dynamax Adventure (Kinda like how people without the DLC can join someone who starts a raid from Isle of Armour), I'd be all up for helping out, but...

Yeah, I doubt it, think it uses rental Pokémon and it's a new mode (kinda).

Had a quick go - done the first battle, caught a couple of Pokemon, done a Dynamax Adventure (not sure if I was lucky or if you always get it on the first one but I caught

Spoiler

Suicune

:D! After that I saved at Freezington Town.

Seems like a decent start and enjoyed it so far (although I've not played it much)! Looking forward to playing the rest of The Crown Tundra.

Edited by Sckewi
messed up xD
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sckewi said:
  a Pokemon? (Reveal hidden contents)

Suicune

What about it?

Spent yesterday evening playing Dynamax Adventures with a few friends, it's so much better than the Dynamax battles in the base game. There's quite a lot of strategy involved in picking the right Pokemon and then choosing which paths to take before the final boss. Zygarde in particular has been very challenging so far for us.