NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

8 hours ago, Ike said:

You can press Y to change the selection mode in a box from single to "multi" (which I'm not sure that does, might not be the correct name) or group.

Oh right, forgot to respond to this as well.

Pressing Y in the box cycles between 3 different modes.

The Red Arrow is the standard way of selecting.

The Blue Arrow allows you to skip any menus that appear when selecting a Pokémon. This lets you move Pokémon around without a menu popping up every time you press A.

The Green Arrow lets you move large amounts of Pokémon at once. Press A at a starting point, move the cursor around to "select" a group of Pokémon, then press A to move the whole group at once. (Make sure the destination has enough space to hold them all)

I caught a couple more G-Max Pokemon last night. I think I only need 6 more and then that's them all done and dusted. Thanks for the assist on one of them, @RedShell. Were you doing any raids last night? I seen you catching stuff but I never seen any raids pop up in the stamps. They REALLY need to fix the online setup but I doubt they ever will. It's still stupidly hard to get into random raids and the stamp system is just a broken mess.

I'm back at work now after my weeks holiday and i'm kinda glad that I am. I finished the game at around 12 hours play time but some how I have now put in 80 hours on the game. I completely fell down the rabbit hole and found myself breeding for max IVs and shiny hunting, even though I have no interest in the competitive side of the game, making the whole thing I was doing pretty pointless. I found the whole thing stupidly addictive, which isn't a good thing and i'm happy that I now get to spend some time away from the game.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I caught a couple more G-Max Pokemon last night. I think I only need 6 more and then that's them all done and dusted. Thanks for the assist on one of them, @RedShell. Were you doing any raids last night? I seen you catching stuff but I never seen any raids pop up in the stamps. They REALLY need to fix the online setup but I doubt they ever will. It's still stupidly hard to get into random raids and the stamp system is just a broken mess.

I'm back at work now after my weeks holiday and i'm kinda glad that I am. I finished the game at around 12 hours play time but some how I have now put in 80 hours on the game. I completely fell down the rabbit hole and found myself breeding for max IVs and shiny hunting, even though I have no interest in the competitive side of the game, making the whole thing I was doing pretty pointless. I found the whole thing stupidly addictive, which isn't a good thing and i'm happy that I now get to spend some time away from the game.

I wasn’t doing any raids of my own yesterday, no. Was working on catching wild Pokémon, including the big cheese of Shield: :heh: 

He wasn’t too bad actually, only had to reset once and that was my own fault really for stupidly putting a burn on it. :hehe:

Funny moment leading up to that encounter:

Galarian Corsola is just insane. Found out about it’s potential from a recommended YouTube vid and then discovered that I had an almost perfect stat one which I’d received off a Surprise Trade, so I went ahead and trained it up. I pretty much haven’t had to use another Pokémon since! :D This thing + Eviolite is basically a sponge, almost impossible to take down. It’s not very powerful but combined with moves which constantly drain HP, you can just sit back and wait for Pokémon to die. :laughing: 

Anyway, I’ve reached 300 caught in my Pokédex now, so I’m getting there. This could well be the first Pokémon game where I fully complete the dex. Can’t remember for sure now, but don’t think I’ve ever quite managed it before. :blank:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RedShell said:

Galarian Corsola is just insane. Found out about it’s potential from a recommended YouTube vid and then discovered that I had an almost perfect stat one which I’d received off a Surprise Trade, so I went ahead and trained it up. I pretty much haven’t had to use another Pokémon since! :D This thing + Eviolite is basically a sponge, almost impossible to take down. It’s not very powerful but combined with moves which constantly drain HP, you can just sit back and wait for Pokémon to die. :laughing: 

I was gonna suggest that you might make Corsola your Eviolite Pokémon, but, well. I saw it in one of the raids you did with me and saw how little damage it took and figured that you were already doing that.

Corsola may just be this Gen's equivalent to Marowak from last Gen. In that it was a totally hopeless Pokémon until it got a regional variant.

You probably have, but have you considered implementing an Arcanine in your competitive team? It was really popular last generation because it had access to Intimidate and decent stats. (Well, until Incineroar got intimidate as well and pretty much replaced Arcanine) Not to mention, you seem to like Arcanine. Granted, it's more of a doubles thing, but still.

As for me, I've started my competitive building with Toxtricity. (According to @Serebii, the most looked up new Pokémon on his site) With Throat Spray equipped, two of its attacks, Boomburst and Overdrive become more powerful than Explosion, which is nuts! Shame about it's middling speed and crippling ground weakness though.

Edited by Glen-i

Got the seventh and eighth badge pieces yesterday. Really disappointed with those - Piers shouldn't be the seventh given how weak a fight and gym mission that was but I guess they wanted to start on a high note. The gym mission against the final Gym was better because of its gimmick but still disappointing. Also, the two gyms were accessible within an hour of each other, no filler inbetween. In general, this game just feels like a cut-down version of Pokémon in every single regard. It has less routes, less trainers to battle, less secrets, less story, less legendaries, less Pokémon, less moves... It just doesn't feel right. It's not a bad game per se, but it's just not at all the best Pokémon game out there. 

• Like 1

Anyone about this evening about 7pm to please help my finish my Dex? I'm only missing Slurpuff and Dracozolt, happy to trade whoever is needed. I have Shield if there's any version exclusives people are after.

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

You probably have, but have you considered implementing an Arcanine in your competitive team? It was really popular last generation because it had access to Intimidate and decent stats. (Well, until Incineroar got intimidate as well and pretty much replaced Arcanine) Not to mention, you seem to like Arcanine. Granted, it's more of a doubles thing, but still.

Yeah, I probably will seeing as I’ve already been using one for most of my playthrough, It’ll need some tweaking, but with all the QoL improvements to the training system it won’t take long at all. :cool: 

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

As for me, I've started my competitive building with Toxtricity. (According to @Serebii, the most looked up new Pokémon on his site) With Throat Spray equipped, two of its attacks, Boomburst and Overdrive become more powerful than Explosion, which is nuts! Shame about it's middling speed and crippling ground weakness though.

Sounds crazy! :o 

We’ll need to have another battle at some point, with these new super Pokémon! :heh:

Well, I didn't see the final evolutions yet for the starters so thanks Pokémon YT channel for elaborately putting them in the video and even in the thumbnail.

Yeah I know, the game has been out for almost 2 weeks now but still, would've been fun finding it out in the actual game. So far for my old person rant. :p

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Well, I didn't see the final evolutions yet for the starters so thanks Pokémon YT channel for elaborately putting them in the video and even in the thumbnail.

Yeah I know, the game has been out for almost 2 weeks now but still, would've been fun finding it out in the actual game. So far for my old person rant. :p

I was thinking that... although I must admit that now I have seen them (I'd already seen the fire evolution but that's it) it does make me want to go back and play the game more. :D

But I get it though, I hadn't had that much time to put into the game and I'd have liked to have seen them evolve in game and be 'It evolves into that?!?' but oh well.

Everything just seems to move so quickly these days, in an ideal situation though, two weeks should be enough time but sometimes it just isn't.

I can still fondly remember playing the early games on my GameBoy and clearing the main story in a matter of days to a week, ah simpler times... :smile:

Yay my copy of The Official Galar Region Strategy Guide arrived. I can tell people I read books now!

Edited by Sckewi
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rob3008 said:

Anyone about this evening about 7pm to please help my finish my Dex? I'm only missing Slurpuff and Dracozolt, happy to trade whoever is needed. I have Shield if there's any version exclusives people are after.

I should be free. Just message when you're ready.

Apologies for posting the trailer, @Vileplume2000 and @S.C.G. I didn't even think about people not wanting to see the evolutions. As pointed out, it doesn't help that Nintendo slapped them all over the thumbnail. Sorry. :( 

Oh, no worries, I'm not blaming you. I already saw the thumbnail on YouTube, plus I already saw the Sobble final stage from someone liking something on Twitter. The game is out, and I also don't want to black out for a month so I can catch up with it. It's just hard to be surprised these days.

In fact, I see the contrary in the comments on YouTube and people would have wanted to see the final stages before the games came out because now "they picked the ugly one". Guess you can just never do it right :grin:

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Apologies for posting the trailer, @Vileplume2000 and @S.C.G. I didn't even think about people not wanting to see the evolutions. As pointed out, it doesn't help that Nintendo slapped them all over the thumbnail. Sorry. :( 

It's not your fault, I put the blame squarely on Nintendo for choosing those evolutions for the thumbnail... :p

...and maybe myself a little bit as I had hoped to have put more time into the game by now, it just hasn't happened yet. ::shrug:

It will do soon now though as I want to level up my team and get me a Drum-ape, Buff-Dragonball-Fire-rabbit and a... Killer-killer-killer-killer-killer-chameleon! :D

I'll use their proper names when I find out what they are... maybe. :grin:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The reason they are revealing the evolutions now is that the Sword and Shield TCG set is out in Japan this weekend. Because of the way the card game works, Grookey, Scorbunny and Sobble were going to have their evolutions in the main set and judging what happened in Sun and Moon, the Theme Decks related to the new set will be based around the starters. Except, if they are shown in their final evolutions it makes them being cover cards more appealing.

It would have been nice to leave it a bit longer for those who hadn't seen yet, but as we all know Pokemon is a multi media franchise and the TCG is very important to the Pokemon Company because of how much money can be made from all the sets without necessarily having a large installed player base so they have to keep supporting that.

Edited by GenericAperson

Finished the game last night. After going in with low expectations, it was fun but I still can't help but feel disappointed with lack of progression with the series.

I'm glad I avoided spoilers. Discovering new Pokémon throughout the adventure is definitely the best bit, lots of great new designs and some nice Galarian forms. From a more casual perspective, the battles are as good as usual and Dynamaxing adds something a bit new to the mix. The new locations look great.

I've got pretty much the same complaints as I've had with the past few entries though, it's all just smoke and mirrors. The environments may look big and grand, but in reality the explorable area is smaller than in Red & Blue. Exploration has been cut, now routes and caves are pretty much just short linear straight lines. Celadon and Saffron City are way bigger than anything in Sword & Shield. Then there's the generic story, some catastrophe involving two super powerful legendary Pokémon.

• Like 4

Synchronize doesn't work on

Spoiler

Eternatus?! That's a lot of unskippable cutscenes. :shakehead

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Ike said:

Synchronize doesn't work on

Reveal hidden contents

Eternatus?! That's a lot of unskippable cutscenes. :shakehead

Yeah, once I realised that, I decided to just use a mint instead. I recommend that you do the same.

• Like 1

Encountered/caught my first shiny Pokémon last night! One of those blue jellyfish things. :heh: So yeah, I finally used an Ultra Ball. :D Still have my Master Ball too, which I’ll use if I ever come across a shiny that I actually like... so probably never then. :grin:

As for the Pokédex, think I’ve got or evolved everything that I can now (other than a few max raid Pokémon) so will need to start organising some trades for the Sword version exclusives soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, RedShell said:

As for the Pokédex, think I’ve got or evolved everything that I can now (other than a few max raid Pokémon) so will need to start organising some trades for the Sword version exclusives soon.

Just give me a list of what you need and i'll get you sorted...while I still have the game. :p 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just give me a list of what you need and i'll get you sorted...while I still have the game. :p 

Ok, here’s my list:

Spoiler

398 Zacian

392 Jangmo-o

377 Arctovish 

374 Dracozolt 

369 Stonjourner

367 Darumaka

363 Solrock

347 Turtonator

343 Passimian

291 Malamar 

281 Rufflet

276 Accelgor 

274 Escavalier

267 Gothita

266 Rhyperior 

224 Scraggy 

213 Aromatisse 

211 Slurpuff

206 Flapple

204 Sylveon

I believe a few of those are actually available in Shield, but either I just can’t find them, or they really hate regular Poké Balls. :heh: 

Edited by RedShell

2 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Ok, here’s my list:

Pokémon (Reveal hidden contents)

398 Zacian

392 Jangmo-o

377 Arctovish 

374 Dracozolt 

369 Stonjourner

367 Darumaka

363 Solrock

347 Turtonator

343 Passimian

339 Trevenant 

295 Mawile 

291 Malamar 

281 Rufflet

276 Accelgor 

274 Escavalier

267 Gothita

266 Rhyperior 

224 Scraggy 

213 Aromatisse 

211 Slurpuff

206 Flapple

204 Sylveon

I believe a few of those are actually available in Shield, but either I just can’t find them, or they really hate regular Poké Balls. :heh: 

Some problematic Pokémon in your list.

To get Sylveon, grab an Eevee, spend a lot of time in camp, shove its face full of curry, until you see 3 or more hearts appear from it when you interact with it. Then level it up.

Trevanant is gotten by trading a Phantump with someone else. In the same vein, you need to give Rhydon a Protector and trade that to evolve it. (You can get Protectors from the BP Shop in Hammerlocke.)
There's also Swirlix and Spritzee, which need to be traded while holding a Whipped Dream (Swirlix) and a Sachet (Spritzee), that'll get you a Slurpuff and a Aromatisse.

Get a Shelmet and a Karrablast and trade those two Pokémon with each other to get them both to evolve.

Number 206 might be problematic, as it requires an item only Sword players can get.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Trevanant is gotten by trading a Phantump with someone else

Just got one from a max raid! :cool: 

*removes it from list*

And a Mawile just arrived via Surprise Trade. :D 

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 1

@RedShell I've now got a bunch ready for you. I've attached 4 fossils (2 of each) to some of the Pokemon so you should be able to create the ones you are missing.

Let me know when you're ready.

• Thanks 1