NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

I've got a couple of Dreepy with two perfect IVs if you want one of those, @Glen-i.

Been playing around with the breeding aspect of the game and have been using a 4 perfect IV Ditto.

5th gym battle. As always, may contain Pokemon spoilers so don't watch unless you have already passed this point:

I also need a bit of advice. I have two Pokemon with Gigantamax forms but I tried one of them out in a Max Raid battle and they were simply Dynamaxed. How do I obtain the Gigantamax forms for Corviknight and...

Grimmsnarl?

Can you trade (wireless and surprise) without an online subscription? 
I would be shocked if you could. You couldn't with Pokemon Let's Go.

I'm super gutted right now, I found my first shiny in Sword yesterday, but due to turning off auto save and my own stupidity, I didn't save when I closed the game and lost it and an extra hours worth of grinding and Pokedex completion. Only now do I find out it was actually that new ultra rare shiny with the gem like sparkle effects which is roughly a 1 in 65000 chance of appearing, if I didn't feel bad enough last night I certainly did tonight at this revelation,

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I can only imagine how blindsided people get when you roll in with your team and proceed to far outperform what is expected from a Pokémon that most people wouldn't have above level 20.

Funny thing is, it turns out my Grookey actually has pretty bad stats. Yeah, I just unlocked the stat checking function and Grookey is just OK overall with Decent for both Speed and Sp. Atk, and No good for Attack. :hehe: 

However, that Pikachu you very kindly sent my way has amazing stats, Best for everything! :cool:

Are all of the Let’s Go save data Pokémon blessed with such perfect stats, or was I just super lucky? Or perhaps this is just proof (if proof were needed) that Pikachu is indeed the best Pokémon ever. :heh:  

Anyway, looks like I’ll be resetting her EVs at some point then and doing some proper training. :D Am I correct in thinking it has to be done gradually with certain berries, or is there some new/more efficient way in this version?

@RedShell Yeah, both of the Let's Go Pokemon are perfect.

As for your IVs and EVs, I think EVs can be reset with berries and IVs can be hyper trained with bottle caps. Of course I've just got into this aspect of Pokemon over the past couple of days so I could be talking a load of rubbish. :p 

I have managed to breed a bunch of 5 perfect IV Dreepy. Not bad for my first day on the job as a Pokemon Breeder. :D I'm not sure what else I can do though to knock them up to the full 6 perfect IVs.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RedShell said:

Am I correct in thinking it has to be done gradually with certain berries, or is there some new/more efficient way in this version?

Those berries are how you reset EV's. I think one of each will do the job.

The quickest way to train those EV's back up would be to shove vitamins down your Pikachu like the drug dealer you've always wanted to be. 1 Calcium gets you 10 Sp. Atk EV's. The maximum each stat can have is 252.

Each Pokémon can have a grand total of 510 EV's shared between all stats. So most people choose 2 stats, max them out and then put the rest wherever they feel it's appropriate.

So for Pikachu, I'd recommend maxing out Sp. Atk and Speed and then put the last bunch of points in HP, seeing as you plan on Dynamaxing it.

Another way of EV training is battling certain Pokémon over and over. For example, say if you beat a Rattata (I know it's not in this game, just roll with it), you'd get 1 Speed EV. Of course, beating 252 Rattata is insane... And kind of cruel.

Luckily, there are certain items known as the "Power Set" I can't recall where you get them. I think it's the BP shop in Hammerlocke. If you equip one of these on your Pikachu, then it gets an extra 8 EV's for every Pokémon it beats. So put on a Power Anklet, beat that Rattata and you get 9 Speed EV's instead of 1.

If you can't be bothered with that and don't have the dosh for drugs, then you can use Poké Jobs. You should have some jobs that raise base stats, one for HP and so on. Give your Pikachu a Power Anklet, send it on the job that raises speed for the whole day and when it gets back, that stat will be maxed out. Rinse and repeat for Sp. Atk (Make sure you change the Power item to the lens), and finally, give it a HP Up to finish the job.

There, you've EV trained your Pikachu in 2 days with almost zero input.

As for IV training, Hyper Training is how you do that, but your Pikachu already has perfect IV's so it doesn't need to do that.

Hope that's easy to understand. If you don't get something, let me know.

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@RedShell

I have managed to breed a bunch of 5 perfect IV Dreepy. Not bad for my first day on the job as a Pokemon Breeder. :D I'm not sure what else I can do though to knock them up to the full 6 perfect IVs.

I'll gladly take one of those if you're giving them away.

I should be available from 6pm to 7:30.

Do you need anything in return? I've got Shield in case you need some version exclusives.

17 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

I also need a bit of advice. I have two Pokemon with Gigantamax forms but I tried one of them out in a Max Raid battle and they were simply Dynamaxed. How do I obtain the Gigantamax forms for Corviknight and...

Pokemon name (Reveal hidden contents)

Grimmsnarl?

In order to get the Gigantimax version of any Pokémon, you need to catch that Pokémon in a Max Raid Battle where you fight against the actual Gigantamax form. Nothing else will do.

• Thanks 1

Yeah @Glen-i you can have one. I've got like 30 of them at this point. :D 

I finally done it...

Spoiler

I can see why people fall down the rabbit hole of breeding Pokemon. It's time consuming but immensely satisfying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

The quickest way to train those EV's back up would be to shove vitamins down your Pikachu like the drug dealer you've always wanted to be. 1 Calcium gets you 10 Sp. Atk EV's. The maximum each stat can have is 252.

Have they removed the limit on vitamins can't raise EVs over 100?

Some sales figures to glance over:

• Pokémon Sword & Shield have sold over 6 million units worldwide in first week of release.
• Fastest selling Nintendo Switch software to date.
• Pokemon Sw/Sh have sold 2M copies in Japan. (1.35M physical copies sold were reported by Famitsu on 11/20)
• These figures are double what Pokémon Let's Go achieved - 3 million in its first week.
• This is the record opening for a Switch title globally, beating Smash Ultimate's record of 5m.

For comparison: X/Y sold 4M in around the same time span; Sun/Moon 7.2M in roughly 12 days. 

While this is awesome...unfortunately, I guess Game Freak won't be learning any lessons anytime soon to take into the next game.

I got three badges in a few days back and have struggled to bring myself back to the game – sadly, I'm just not having much fun with it, and I'm finding it very bland and repetitive. I'll probably force myself to finish the game, but unless something drastically changes, I can see myself finally walking away from the franchise after rinsing some of the flavour out with another entry. But hey, it was fun while it lasted.

Glad to see that most others here are having a good time with it, though :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cheers for the tips @Glen-i, I’m familiar with the IV/EV malarkey though, from when I kinda got into it back in the GBA days, and it seems like they’ve not changed much, but made some nice improvements (like the removing the vitamins limit) to make it a bit more straightforward, which is nice. :) 

Yesterday I managed to breed an Axew with the right nature/perfect attack stat and get it EV trained (or rather, drugged up :heh:) and levelled up to 100 in record time! I actually let this one evolve too as the plan was to make a False Swipe machine to help with catching the remaining Pokémon. It’s been doing a great job so far, although ghost Pokémon will still be a bit problematic. :D 

You probably won’t be aware of this as you weren’t on N-E back then, but basically I have this weird thing where every single Pokémon I catch has to be in a standard Poké Ball, including legendary Pokémon. It’s become a tradition. :hehe:

58 minutes ago, Ike said:

Have they removed the limit on vitamins can't raise EVs over 100?

Yep. The only limit now is money. :grin: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You can get money stupidly easy in this. Just level up the Giga Meowth you got free with the game, attach the Amulet Coin, go repeat battles at the stadium after you finish the game, turn massive and then unleash the Giga equivalent of Payday. Profit! You get close to 100,000 each time you win. :cheeky:

Haha! I remember that obsession @RedShell! :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You can get money stupidly easy in this. Just level up the Giga Meowth you got free with the game, attach the Amulet Coin, go repeat battles at the stadium after you finish the game, turn massive and then unleash the Giga equivalent of Payday. Profit! You get close to 100,000 each time you win. :cheeky:

Yeah, I heard about this. Yet to try it though. I already had quite a lot of dosh saved up just from picking up and selling random stuff from the wild area it seems. :hehe: 

6 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, I heard about this. Yet to try it though. I already had quite a lot of dosh saved up just from picking up and selling random stuff from the wild area it seems. :hehe: 

Yeah, the amount of pearls you find just lying around is crazy. :D 

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, the amount of pearls you find just lying around is crazy. :D 

I actually thought something was wrong with my game at one point, like why am I finding so much expensive stuff!? :heh: 

The wild area is so awesome. :cool: Just a shame that performance can absolutely tank when playing it online. It is cool seeing other trainers wandering about though, and it’s nice how everyone has a present for you. :grin:

• Haha 1

Yeah, the wild area is great. It's such a tease of what a Pokemon MMO could be like. It's just a shame the raid system is very unreliable. :( 

• Like 1

So I finally managed to catch a wild Ditto in a Max Raid Battle. Guess that'll have to take up permanent residence in the Day C... I mean Nursery.

Going to start putting the Gym Leader battle videos in spoiler boxes as they are obviously later in the game material.

Wow, that's a lot of easy cash. I better hurry up and use that Meowth code next time I play!

I've now got three badges and progressed a couple of towns from there. I don't want to complete the storyline too quickly, so next I'm gonna do the codes, then go back and do anything I missed in the towns, like in-game trades, sidquests etc. Maybe even work on the curry dex for a bit.

At this point I think, and I'll do the negatives first, the storyline is a bit bland/typical so far, the dexit thing is a shame but tbh I kind of forgot about it, and the Wild Area is very laggy if you're connected to the internet. But regardless I'm still very much enjoying SwSh a lot and don't regret buying it one bit. The graphics and style of the game are great, the music is top-notch, and I am enjoying the adventure even if the storyline's not exactly amazing. Battles are great fun and there are some great attack animations even if not all of them are so. The Wild Area is really good fun and I'm enjoying finding new Pokemon and collecting stuff through raids and generally exploring. The British slang such as people ending sentences with "mate" and saying they're "cream crackered" is very funny.

Very pleased to hear the games have sold so well. It's nice to know one of my favourite game series is still doing really well, and maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'd be very worried if a mainline Pokemon game sold badly. Would they make improvements and try again? Or would they just stop making mainline Pokemon games?

And finally I've found myself wondering, programming aside, if in terms of canon SwSh's universe has Mega Evolution. Like if you were able to fly from Galar, to say, Alola. Would you find an Alola where Mega Evolution exists? I've not seen any NPCs mention Mega Evolution yet, so I'm thinking no. Although to be fair Pokemon canon is about as reliable and consistent as Sonic's, so I guess it doesn't really matter. xD

3 hours ago, RedShell said:

Yesterday I managed to breed an Axew with the right nature/perfect attack stat and get it EV trained (or rather, drugged up :heh:) and levelled up to 100 in record time! I actually let this one evolve too as the plan was to make a False Swipe machine to help with catching the remaining Pokémon. It’s been doing a great job so far, although ghost Pokémon will still be a bit problematic. :D 

Pangoro with Mold Breaker can hit ghost types with false swipe. I used one in S/M.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

Pangoro with Mold Breaker can hit ghost types with false swipe. I used one in S/M.

Gonna have to correct you there. Mold Breaker ignores abilities, not typing.

You're thinking of Scrappy, which lets a Pokémon hit Ghost types with Normal or Fighting moves. Pangoro has one as its hidden ability.
I'm not sure how you get a hidden ability in this game, let me try and find out.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Gonna have to correct you there. Mold Breaker ignores abilities, not typing.

You're thinking of Scrappy, which lets a Pokémon hit Ghost types with Normal or Fighting moves. Pangoro has one as its hidden ability.
I'm not sure how you get a hidden ability in this game, let me try and find out.

Ah, not that useful unless you manage to find one then.

I think I read that hidden abilities are gained through catching raid Pokemon. They are randomly dished out on those.

@Glen-i Don't want mine then I take it? I forgot I actually traded it in another suprise trade, but I actually got a 3rd one back. Personally I don't find him all that great though.. He only starts evolving at level 50, is pretty weak until then, and I feel he's still weak eventhough he almost caught up with the rest of my team. Maybe it's the stats I don't know about, maybe it just happens to be the part of the game I'm in. Lots of ice types before the 7th Gym leader, and he had a ghost Pokémon that totally demolished my Evolved Dreepy.

I also got multiple Sobbles.. I think i got 3, and traded back 2 of them. I have one spare if anyone wants it. Also got a Grookey, so all I need is the bunny. I have no idea what the stats are though.

I'm on my way to the last gym now. I'm deciding if I should try my luck with whatever I have now, or try to find and train something I like and has a type advantage in the last gym. I have no ice or fairy type Pokémon (or moves) currently. Only Dreepy, but he's probably not going to work.