NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

Rumours have been swirling around that the reason for Dexit was because Game Freak run into severe technical issues with their 3DS model/animation rig importer and had to move them across manually.

Sounds pretty plausible; after all, they had already reused these models/animations in Let's Go anyway.

Ultimately though, all of these cuts come down to the fact that Game Freak as a developer have just being spread too thin, like I've been saying was going to happen for years.  Since 2016, Game Freak have released eight games in just the last three years! That's absoutely nuts! Something clearly just had to give, and it was ultimately Sword/Shield that bore the brunt of it.

On a brighter note, the game reviewed much better than I was expecting it would.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Ultimately though, all of these cuts come down to the fact that Game Freak as a developer have just being spread too thin, like I've been saying was going to happen for years.  Since 2016, Game Freak have released eight games in just the last three years! That's absoutely nuts! Something clearly just had to give, and it was ultimately Sword/Shield that bore the brunt of it.

They either need to start slowing down on the game releases or expand. They control one of the biggest IPs in all of media and yet don't show any kind of ambition or major growth within the company. Pokemon rakes in a serious amount of cash and that should be used to bring the development team up to the size and standard of other studios. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My initial choice was Grookey, then I changed my mind to Scorbunny for a while, and then changed my mind back to Grookey again. xD

I plan to get the other two ASAP and have all three on my team anyways. :D

31 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Sobble. I like the spy theme.

Really wishing I hadn't read this...

That being said I was planning to name my Sobble James Bond because of all the possible routes they could go with it, a spy chameleon seemed like the most suitable route especially in a region based on a country where one of it's most famous exports is James Bond...

Wait, Sobble is number 007 in the Galar Pokedex right? IT ALL MAKES SENSE!

Edited by GenericAperson
Potential spoilers

1 minute ago, GenericAperson said:

Really wishing I hadn't read this...

I'm referring to how it was revealed in the first trailer for the game... I don't know anything about its evolutions, nor do I know anything about the other two's evolutions. 

From the press release:

The stealthy Sobble, a Water-type Water Lizard Pokémon, shoots out attacks as it hides itself in water.

37 minutes ago, Ike said:

Do what starter is everyone picking? I'm going for Scorbunny.

Made my choice a long time ago and it hasn’t changed, Grookey:love:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ike said:

Thanks to @Ugh first aid, we're both getting all 3 at the start. Like we've done in every game.

For me though, Scorbunny is going straight in the PC while Sobble and Grookey are coming with me on my Galar adventure. Sobble's never leaving because it's the second chameleon Pokémon, while Grookey will probably be the first to be boxed if I find more than 6 new Pokémon where I think "I need that on my team"
It's gonna be interesting to see if what Grookey evolves into can beat Simisage in the "How Much I Like This Grass Monkey Design" competition.

Drednaw and Obstagoon are 2 of the officially revealed Pokémon I plan on getting as well, so I'm already equalling the amount of Pokémon I finished Sun/Moon with.

I did not like a lot of the Pokémon Sun/Moon introduced... That's one thing X/Y did better.

Edited by Glen-i

Some people really shouldn't be allowed access to the internet or social media

Edited by Ronnie
  • Haha 4

I keep forgetting that none of you have read any of the leaks; wondering about what the starters might evolve into etc.

I have decided against getting the game, at least for a while. Pissed that they cut my favourite 'Mon, and generally don't like the look of the rest of the game.

37 minutes ago, bob said:

I keep forgetting that none of you have read any of the leaks; wondering about what the starters might evolve into etc.

Last time, I caved and checked the designs for Incineroar, Decidueye and Primarina in the run up to Sun/Moon and I quickly regretted it while playing the game because I knew I robbed myself of the mystery of what the starters might evolve into.

Not making that mistake again.

• Like 1

I accidentally saw one of the evolutions for Scorbunny in one of the videos and learned of evolution names of Scorbunny and Sobble (might have been the final evos) but I have no idea what the likes of Yamper and Impidimp evolve into or what any unrevealed Pokemon are, or the names of the Pokemon shown in the final trailer.

I looked at almost none of the leaks, I don't know the starter evolutions.

While I didn't have any real hype for this game.. I'm now starting to really look forward to getting it tomorrow!

Game is out in Australia now so more people will be posting playthroughs of the game on Youtube and Twitch. So more spoilers may show up on the internet from people who've been able to play the game.

If you downloaded the game off the Australian eShop though, enjoy.

Ordered mine from the Nintendo Store so not getting my copy until tomorrow. Not been spoil'd so need to dodge them just a bit longer.

Spoiler

There's a Pokémon called Nickit!

They're getting British slang in the Pokémon names and it's great!

Today I'm gonna get the game, I preordered the Shield version. :D For the longest time I had the preorder for Sword running, but I spoiled myself about the new Pokemon and the version exclusives and decided that Shield has the better exclusives for me. Too bad I really love the design of the Sword legendary, but whatever. :heh:

21 hours ago, Ike said:

I'm picking Sobble. I was indecisive between Sobble and Scorbunny, but in the end I'm going for the spy theme as @MindFreak said.

21 hours ago, Ike said:

Sobble all the way. Little guy's adorable. 

I've been able to avoid all of the leaks so far, thankfully, but I think Sobble has the best design of the three, and I feel like I have a rough idea for where the evolutions of the other two are going to go in terms of design, but I'm pretty stumped when it comes to the little dude's evolutions.

Really excited to see which way it goes! 

Don't want to look it up incase I see the evo's but is Scorbunny a physical or special attacker?

Also is it telegraph'd when you choose your starters so you can save beforehand?

The game has arrived! :D

pcdR7A0.jpg

Won't be playing until Sunday or Monday, as I'm playing Fallen Order, and I'm pretty sure that'll probably be the shorter of the two.

Hope everyone has fun with the game this weekend, and while I'll probably be steering clear of this thread to try to avoid spoilers, I look forward to reading everyone's impressions of the game! After the reviews and negative backlash, honestly, I just hope the game's a cosy and upbeat ride :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Don't want to look it up incase I see the evo's but is Scorbunny a physical or special attacker?

Also is it telegraph'd when you choose your starters so you can save beforehand?

Physical, defo. Sobble is special. Grookey is more defensive than the other two.

It's also very telegraphed when you're about to choose. So don't worry there.

• Thanks 1