NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

On 10.10.2019 at 8:22 AM, Glen-i said:

It's kinda lame if Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash is the Shield exclusive to counteract Sword's Farfetch'd/Sirfetch'd.

One version gets a brand new Pokémon to play with, the other gets an alternate form instead.

If that's the case, it's the first time two versions don't have the same footing as far as Pokémon distribution goes.

There's also the possibility of Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash getting new a evolution, turning them into a 3 stage evolution line. I could see something Pegasus alike for example.

24 minutes ago, ThiophenSJ said:

There's also the possibility of Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash getting new a evolution, turning them into a 3 stage evolution line. I could see something Pegasus alike for example.

I gonna side on the face of, "I doubt it".

Rapidash already has a Base Stat Total of 500, evolutions tend to add approximately 100 to that. If Rapidash were to get an evolution, it would have stats to rival the likes of Dragonite and Hydreigon. It's not impossible, sure, never say never and all that, but I don't see Rapidash suddenly becoming a psuedo-legendary. For comparisons sake, Linoone only has a BST of 420, so an extra 100 for Obstagoon would put it at around Charizard levels of strength, which is pretty reasonable.

Poor Farfetch'd only has a measly 377 BST, so an evolution would have to add far more stats than average for it to stand a chance in a serious match.

That said, Rapidash being or evolving into a Pegasus style Pokémon (And presumably getting a Flying type added to its Psychic type) is a great idea and I would love it to happen.

Edited by Glen-i

I would find a Pegasus-like Pokémon pseudo-legendary material.. I think it's a good idea to have a third evolution of Ponyta, that would be kind of cool. And they could always nerf Rapidash a little.

Great interview with art director James Turner on the inspirations for the Galar region:

Also, absolutely love the art style for the concept art of Galar. They all look like paintings which belong in your grandparents' house! 

Anyone remember the days when a game would come out, and you would actually find things out while playing it?

Anyone remember the days when a game would come out, and you would actually find things out while playing it?
Weren't you complaining in a different thread about companies releasing games with no marketing, or without talking about them?
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bob said:
11 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Weren't you complaining in a different thread about companies releasing games with no marketing, or without talking about them?

I was just about to type something like that.

@Ronnie, you know full well that the moment this game gets released to the press, that someone will datamine it and reveal everything anyway.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bob said:
25 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

There's a difference between promoting a game and revealing everything within a game. (to both you and @drahkon)

There's also a middle ground between almost no promotion like in Concrete Genie's case, and revealing every gym, every trainer, all the new Pokemon, all the types of food you'll be able to make in the game, all the battle systems etc.

Edited by Ronnie

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

@Ronnie, you know full well that the moment this game gets released to the press, that someone will datamine it and reveal everything anyway.

I know that's the reason it happens, I was just being nostalgic for a time before leaks and datamines and surprises being spoiled all the time.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

There's also a middle ground between almost no promotion like in Concrete Genie's case, and revealing every gym, every trainer, all the new Pokemon, all the types of food you'll be able to make in the game, all the battle systems etc.

Actually, compared to the run up to Sun/Moon, Sword/Shield has been a lot lighter on pre-release info.

There could be two reasons for this.

- TPC are actually keeping a lot of stuff secret.

- This game has very little that is new.

Given the likely issues that no National Pokédex would imply, I'd be surprised if it wasn't the latter.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 3

Well we'll find out more tomorrow I guess, and probably a couple of weeks after that too, and another pre-release Direct maybe.

16 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

A new batch of info about the games will be shared tomorrow:

Is this info only going to be on twitter or what? But whatever, looking forward to new info. Due to my recent talks with a colleague (of which I didn't know that she's a pokemon fan), who's planning to buy a Switch + Pokemon Shield on Black Friday, I'm full throttle on the hype train for this game now. :D

6 minutes ago, ThiophenSJ said:

Is this info only going to be on twitter or what? But whatever, looking forward to new info. Due to my recent talks with a colleague (of which I didn't know that she's a pokemon fan), who's planning to buy a Switch + Pokemon Shield on Black Friday, I'm full throttle on the hype train for this game now. :D

I image this leaked image will be some of the new info presented.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:
  Spoilers (Hide contents)

More genwunner pandering? Why am I not surprised? :blank:

Gotta keep us happy. :p 

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I image this leaked image will be some of the new info presented.

Image (Hide contents)

Ah, hadn't seen that before. That would be a bummer, as I am personally not interested in that part of the game.

Spoiler

Remember when I got kinda excited because Zigzagoon got a new form and evolution and it gave the impression that maybe, just maybe, other Pokémon that weren't from Kanto might get some focus for once.

tenor.gif

Man, it sucks to be a fan of a wide variety of Pokémon.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ResetEra are currently grabbing their well-used pitchforks at only "opposite gender" Pokemon being infatuated with Eevie. 

• Haha 1

Well... so it was that leak.

But how is this "received from Pokemon Let's Go" going to work? As much as I dislike Gigantamaxing as "new" feature, I sure like my Eevees and want to know about that. :p

EDIT: Nevermind, it's just save data. For some reason I didn't get that at first.

Edited by ThiophenSJ

What I'm puzzled about is the fact that you get a Pikachu and Eevee from save data from the respective versions of Pokémon Let's Go! Right?

But, I thought that you could just Gigantamax any Pokémon which had the capability? Same with the limited time Meowth... aren't there other Meowth's you can just catch?

Am I missing something here?

I get the feeling I might have asked this question before, I really don't know at this point, it sounds like a simple feature but it clearly has caveats to it.

Edited by S.C.G

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

ResetEra are currently grabbing their well-used pitchforks at only "opposite gender" Pokemon being infatuated with Eevie. 

What, now?

Infatuation has been a status condition since 1999, that ship has long sailed!

7 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

What I'm puzzled about is the fact that you get a Pikachu and Eevee from save data from the respective versions of Pokémon Let's Go! Right?

But, I thought that you could just Gigantamax any Pokémon which had the capability? Same with the limited time Meowth... aren't there other Meowth's you can just catch?

Am I missing something here?

I get the feeling I might have asked this question before, I really don't know at this point, it sounds like a simple feature but it clearly has caveats to it.

Gigantamax only applies to a small number of Pokémon. Only the Pikachu/Eevee for Let's GO will be able to change form. Other Pikachu/Eevee will just look the same as they normally do, only bigger and not get the special move.

You're thinking of Dynamax, which any Pokémon can use, but they don't change their appearance.

Simply put, why bother Dynamaxing your crappy normal Pokémon when you'd be better off Gigantamaxing a Charizard instead and get a way better attack?

The whole system just screams imbalanced towards a handful of Pokémon (Mostly Gen 1, because of course they bloody are) that you'll no doubt see everywhere online.
Mega Evolution was a way more elegant version of this, basically. But that's not in this game anymore.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

That would explain it, thanks @Glen-i :D I was totally getting the two mixed up.

You're right as well, the whole thing seems really unbalanced, probably not really adding much to the game overall.

The only thing I liked about it was that it was bringing back some memories of Pokémon Stadium what with the setting and the bigger Pokémon seem to suit that.

It would have been equally fine if the game didn't have Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing in though I reckon, maybe even better for it.