NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

I guess during Masuda's tour of the UK they saw a lot of football going on and decided to use that as an inspiration.

In some ways, the two have a lot in common. They both are played competitively and each team is built from the ground up either through buying in the transfer market in football's case or catching wild Pokemon in Pokemon's case.

On the downside, it sounds like the EXP share is imbedded into the game not as an item in Sword and Shield like in Let's Go.

I've only played Gens 1-5, although I played them a lot. But I always wished the Exp Share from Gen 6/7 was in the games after I heard about it. I'm glad to hear the Exp Share is returning for SwSh. Hopefully the level curve of the game combined with opponents having good moves and strategy will make the game challenging. But if not there's always this game's battle tower equivalent, where the Exp Share will come in really handy for levelling up Pokemon quickly for the challenge.  That said, some people dislike the Exp Share or like to turn it off sometimes, so hopefully for those people there's an option to turn it off, which hopefully is still possible via the game's menus, even if the Exp Share isn't an actual item.

22 minutes ago, Sckewi said:

That said, some people dislike the Exp Share or like to turn it off sometimes, so hopefully for those people there's an option to turn it off, which hopefully is still possible via the game's menus, even if the Exp Share isn't an actual item.

One can only hope. After the way Let's Go handle it though, I won't be hoping too much.

• Like 1

People were mad to think Game Freak would have that many gyms when they can't even get all the Pokémon in there!

I didn't believe that for one second.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

The Pokémon Company has issued an official statement:

In the Galar region, Pokémon Gym Battles are popular sporting events, and the 18 different types of Gyms that exist in Galar contribute to the background setting of the story in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. In each game, Trainers must collect eight Gym Badges to complete the Gym Challenge and earn the opportunity to participate in the Champion Cup.

Over the course of the main story, Trainers will challenge eight Gyms, which are all in the Major League. Which Gyms appear in the Major League and Minor League will differ between Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. For example, depending on the version of the game, Trainers will be able to challenge different Gym Leaders, such as Bea or Allister.

Each version will have eight Gyms and eight Gym Leaders that Trainers can battle for a traditional Gym Challenge experience that fans have enjoyed throughout the Pokémon video game series.

Also, The Pokémon Company is hosting a 24 hour live-stream from a forest region in the game:

My god that statement is so badly written. So convoluted. 

As for 8 gyms, same old same old. Even more laughable when said gyms still seem Game Boy-like in their puzzle/structure. 

Yeeeahhhh...

I know full well that I'm pretty sad when it comes to Pokémon, but even I have better stuff to do than watch that.

I've got Mario Kart results to sort out!

7 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

What the f.. is that? 

Is that a genuine question about the stream?

It's a 24 hour stream of a still image of an area from the upcoming Pokémon games. Rarely, a Pokémon will be shown for a brief moment, which effectively confirms that Pokémon will be catchable in Sword/Shield.

Yeah, someone at the Pokémon Company is probably high out of their mind.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

So it's a wildlife cam.. that's a good idea except that they should have called it that instead of a stream.

It looks like it's been eating those mushrooms and they've disagreed with its digestive system.

Poison/Fairy type?

46 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

It looks like it's been eating those mushrooms and they've disagreed with its digestive system.

Poison/Fairy type?

If so, it's got competition with Galarian Weezing for people's teams!

EDIT: Unless you're @Glen-i and just use multiple Pokemon of the same type on your team anyway.

Edited by GenericAperson

2 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

Unless you're @Glen-i and just use multiple Pokemon of the same type on your team anyway.

Hey, I only do Gym Leader runs on any third versions or repeat playthroughs. If it happens on a first playthrough, it's only because I really like the designs of Pokémon that just happen to share types.

My first playthroughs consist of nothing but brand new Pokémon! And no, I didn't count Alolan forms as brand new for Sun/Moon, so I won't have Galarian forms in my first team here. (Except Zigzagoon, because it has a new evolution which is KISS Fan, the Pokémon, which is just great)

Edited by Glen-i

Fair enough.

As it stands I'm probably going to take both a Sobble and a Cramorant just because I like both types. But if Sobble's final evo secondary typing isn't what the team really needs I will go with Cramorant. I'm ideally looking for a Fighting and a Ground Pokemon to go alongside Sobble/Cramorant, Yamper, Corviknight and Impidimp, a Ground one would counter a large Electric weakness.

I didn't really want to plan out beyond three Pokemon as I enjoyed finding stuff like Araquanid which was the one Pokemon I hadn't planned for other than thinking the team needed a Water type, but they've been pretty sparing with the Gen 8 reveals of Pokemon this time around so I'm sure there are plenty of Pokemon that will only get leaked through datamining be known about through actual gameplay.

• Like 1

Galarian Ponyta is Shield exclusive. And there's now a full trailer showing it off:

• Like 1

It's Psychic, not Poison / Fairy!

Galarian Ponyta
Category: Unique Horn Pokémon
Type: Psychic
Height: 2’7″
Weight: 52.9 lbs.
Ability: Run Away/ Pastel Veil

Galarian Ponyta have been found in a certain forest of the Galar region since ancient times. It is said that they were exposed to the overflowing life energy of the forest over many generations, and therefore their appearance became unique in this region.

Galarian Ponyta can absorb the life energy of the surrounding atmosphere and store it in its mane. Its mane will become more colorful, and even emit a sparkling glow, if there is an abundance of energy around.

Galarian Ponyta’s Ability, Pastel Veil, is a new Ability introduced in these titles. This Ability prevents the Pokémon and its allies from becoming poisoned. It can even cure the poisoned status condition of its allies when this Pokémon enters the battlefield.

I see, they had a mystery for a Sword Exclusive Pokemon that was then followed up on with a proper reveal so it makes sense they'd do a tease for a Shield Exclusive and then a proper reveal. I will say, 24 hours was a lot for just one Pokemon though...

13 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

I see, they had a mystery for a Sword Exclusive Pokemon that was then followed up on with a proper reveal so it makes sense they'd do a tease for a Shield Exclusive and then a proper reveal. I will say, 24 hours was a lot for just one Pokemon though...

It's kinda lame if Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash is the Shield exclusive to counteract Sword's Farfetch'd/Sirfetch'd.

One version gets a brand new Pokémon to play with, the other gets an alternate form instead.

If that's the case, it's the first time two versions don't have the same footing as far as Pokémon distribution goes.

Could still be the case that there might be equivalents that we don't know about yet. But judging by the fact that Yungoos and Alolan Rattata were treated as a day/night exclusive pair in Sun and Moon and we had the Totem Gumshoos in Sun and Totem Raticate in Moon I wouldn't be surprised if the Pokemon Company sees brand new Pokemon species and regional variants as the same thing, new Pokemon.