NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

I mean saving an animation in Maya one day and then opening it the next can cause the rig to break so it's possible.

#stillbitter

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Serebii said:

My belief is that they intended for every Pokémon to be in, but something must have happened. I've done a lot of research and spoken to a lot of developers about this and the only logical conclusion I can come to is that when they ported the models over to the new engine, the animation rigs broke (which is not unhead of)so they had to rerig every model and rerecord the animations and the sheer scope of that caused this situation.

I had a feeling you would have looked into this.

To be honest, I never considered the possibility of stuff breaking during the transition. It would certainly explain a lot. Although if that were the case, I kinda wish GF would have been more upfront about it, instead of trying to claim it was something to do with balancing (Which I still think is baloney).

I guess it'll be proven if the next mainline game after Sword/Shield comes out and suddenly allows for all Pokémon to be used.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I guess it'll be proven if the next mainline game after Sword/Shield comes out and suddenly allows for all Pokémon to be used.

Full Pokédex in Pokemon Hyper Sword & Hyper Shield confirmed!

• Like 1

Based on the trailer the other day I imagine they'll be called Pokémon Spiffing Sword and PipPip Shield. 

• Haha 5

New trailer from Worlds...

Held Items are back! The Eject Pack looks super awesome! :D 

Edit: Japanese version of the trailer has some extra footage...

Visuals look really nice!

Edit 2: Sword/Shield will be introducing Ranked Battles!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Having actual ranks is something I never realised Pokémon actually needed until now. Seems obvious in hindsight.

I can imagine a lot of people trying out some competitive matches and getting absolutely destroyed by some nut that has a properly trained team. I've been there, it can feel a bit disheartening.

At least with a beginner rank, it'd be a bit more viable to pull off a win at first.

I hope Eject Pack is a one-use item. It'd be way too powerful otherwise.

content-4-35928-pokemonswordshielddetailsanner.jpg

All the latest Pokémon related info is up on the front page.

A couple of videos in there and a link to the Official Pokémon YouTube Channel where all the action is taking place. :D

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

Enjoy Ranked Battles while they last, they probably won't be in any game past Gen 8!

Also, watching the TCG stream in Worlds. There was a guy playing a Fire based deck and his first name just so happened to be Blaine. They also teased a new mechanic for Sword and Shield's trading card game expansion which is called "V" and it looks like the cards will have over 300 HP.

Image result for Pokemon V tcg

Dynamaxed Pokemon cards might actually be a thing!

This year's World Championships has been really varied. Some proper surprise Pokémon showing up in this Incineroar and Gen 3 legendary populated meta.

Stuff like Breloom, Shedinja, Venusaur and Umbreon are holding their own quite well.

Proper upset with a former World Champion getting knocked out by a Groudon with Dragon Claw of all moves. Who teaches Groudon Dragon Claw!? It's such a "me" kind of moveset.

With that said, if Intimidate got nerfed, I would be over the moon. Intimidate dictates the entire doubles meta and I'm getting kinda sick of it.

Edited by Glen-i

On 17/08/2019 at 1:14 AM, GenericAperson said:

Enjoy Ranked Battles while they last, they probably won't be in any game past Gen 8!

Also, watching the TCG stream in Worlds. There was a guy playing a Fire based deck and his first name just so happened to be Blaine. They also teased a new mechanic for Sword and Shield's trading card game expansion which is called "V" and it looks like the cards will have over 300 HP.

Image result for Pokemon V tcg

Dynamaxed Pokemon cards might actually be a thing!

Could just be another Wailord.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Proper upset with a former World Champion getting knocked out by a Groudon with Dragon Claw of all moves. Who teaches Groudon Dragon Claw!? It's such a "me" kind of moveset.

OK, that part is pretty hilarious!

Grand Final Day today. At least WolfeyGlick isn't going to win it again...

Edited by GenericAperson

13 hours ago, Glen-i said:

This year's World Championships has been really varied. Some proper surprise Pokémon showing up in this Incineroar and Gen 3 legendary populated meta.

Stuff like Breloom, Shedinja, Venusaur and Umbreon are holding their own quite well.

With that said, if Intimidate got nerfed, I would be over the moon. Intimidate dictates the entire doubles meta and I'm getting kinda sick of it.

I caught a bit of a battle where they had Kyorge and Air Lock Raquaza out at the same time on the same team. Is there a reason for that I'm missing? Does Air Lock not make thunder 100% accurate in rain?

3 hours ago, Ike said:

I caught a bit of a battle where they had Kyorge and Air Lock Raquaza out at the same time on the same team. Is there a reason for that I'm missing? Does Air Lock not make thunder 100% accurate in rain?

Air lock nullifies any and all effects of weather, so it is a bit strange to have both out at once if they're on the same team. Rayquaza is a good counter to Groudon/Kyogre though.

Air lock is always in effect when Rayquaza is present in a battle. So if a Groudon switches in, then the weather change won't do anything. So I think it's more of a way to bring some calm to a battle in an attempt to maintain control.

I might be wrong, but most competitive players don't teach Kyogre Thunder, with the weather being so volatile in this gen, it's far too risky to go for it. They normally go with Ice Beam, Origin Pulse and two support moves. If they replaced Ice Beam with Thunder, they run the risk of being utterly walled by Groudon with Harsh Sunlight.

My Kyogre knows Thunder though. Precisely because no-one expects it and it can really punch a hole with good prediction.

In a similar vein, my Groudon knows Thunder Punch because it almost always catches a Kyogre switch completely by surprise and is endlessly funny. Kyogre hasn't got the defense and speed to cope with my Speedy Groudon setup.

Edited by Glen-i

Once when I was playing on Pokemon Online (the fan server before Pokemon Showdown existed) as part of a tournament on another forum and I had a Gengar on my team. I decided to teach it Thunderbolt and because of that I was able to one hit KO my opponent's Tornadus and they got extremely salty over it because "you don't teach Gengar Thunderbolt".

Who are the finalists for VGC btw? My current interest in Pokemon has been closer to the card game than the video games so I haven't been following VGC. Though, I have heard of this epic one hour game in the TCG between one of the finalists and a Pidgeotto control deck that went on for so long that they didn't have time for any other games to be played after the initial game. :laughing:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GenericAperson said:

Once when I was playing on Pokemon Online (the fan server before Pokemon Showdown existed) as part of a tournament on another forum and I had a Gengar on my team. I decided to teach it Thunderbolt and because of that I was able to one hit KO my opponent's Tornadus and they got extremely salty over it because "you don't teach Gengar Thunderbolt".

Who are the finalists for VGC btw? My current interest in Pokemon has been closer to the card game than the video games so I haven't been following VGC. Though, I have heard of this epic one hour game in the TCG between one of the finalists and a Pidgeotto control deck that went on for so long that they didn't have time for any other games to be played after the initial game. :laughing:

That's the problem with Smogon, the Pokémon setups they have are absolutely perfect... for fighting other Smogon setups.

With a little bit of imagination and a bit of tweaking, it's quite easy to blindside a Smogon built team with a move they never saw coming. Do that often enough and they lose all momentum and give you an easy win.

Which is why I suggest that Smogon be used as a base to build on and not be taken as gospel. That site certainly knows a few things, but they're too narrow-minded.

I haven't been able to watch the VGC's today because I've been playing Smash and Mario Party at the community centre so I have no idea how it's going, sorry.

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

That's the problem with Smogon, the Pokémon setups they have are absolutely perfect... for fighting other Smogon setups.

With a little bit of imagination and a bit of tweaking, it's quite easy to blindside a Smogon built team with a move they never saw coming. Do that often enough and they lose all momentum and give you an easy win.

Which is why I suggest that Smogon be used as a base to build on and not be taken as gospel. That site certainly knows a few things, but they're too narrow-minded.

I haven't been able to watch the VGC's today because I've been playing Smash and Mario Party at the community centre so I have no idea how it's going, sorry.

Fair enough, I'll find out at the time I suppose. Juniors final starts in about 10 minutes, then it's the seniors and then the Masters final.

At the moment the Twitch chat is getting salty over the result of the TCG Masters final. A judge's call had a major impact on the direction of the game.

Tuned back in to the Junior Finals. These two kids are way better than I'll ever be and that's awesome. Digging Pi Wu's impromptu Rayquaza scarf. The two teams are completely different too, so that's gonna be interesting.

Something that I always respect with Pokémon World is that competitors are referred to by their actual name. I can't take a lot of competitive players seriously because they use their dumb online username.

Also, damn, that special Champion Blue remix specially used in these finals is totally banging every year!

Edited by Glen-i

That was a good final in the Junior division. Constant switch ups in strategies for each match was exciting to watch.

Edited by Glen-i

That explosion Smeargle though, shame it didn't work out too well for Teddy. Only saw a bit of the first and last games.

Yeah, would have been nice to have a UK champion. I think the burn did him in in the end. Congrats to Pi Wu though. Considering it's the Juniors final then at this point it really is like the end of the Pokemon games where a child get's his team recorded for all eternity!

Really hoping that once the Legendaries are banned for competitive play next year then VGC will become a bit more interesting to watch and allow many of the new Pokemon to actually have a fighting chance in the meta. Most of the new Gen 7 Pokemon that weren't legendaries were never considered because they all had low base speed.

2 minutes ago, GenericAperson said:

Really hoping that once the Legendaries are banned for competitive play next year then VGC will become a bit more interesting to watch and allow many of the new Pokemon to actually have a fighting chance in the meta. Most of the new Gen 7 Pokemon that weren't legendaries were never considered because they all had low base speed.

The opening few years of a Pokémon generation are my favourite for competitive battles precisely because legendaries are banned. A lot more Pokémon are viable when legendaries aren't everywhere.

Sun and Moons low base speed meant Pokémon like Pheromosa dominated because of its high speed. Ironically, that was the main reason Alolan Marowak rose through the ranks because it was a hard counter for it. I really like Marowak, so it felt great to finally use it in serious matches and not be laughed out of the room..

The seniors both share two Pokémon (Incineroar and Tapu Fini), but it should still be a good match.

Perish Song is an interesting choice.

EDIT: Hey, he pulled it off!

Edited by Glen-i

Problem is, if a new generation is coming out people are more likely to tune into the World Championships for any potential news on the new games. The fact that a legendary dominated format always comes to the fore in such years I don't think is ideal even if it's being done to shake up the format before everything changes.

Also yeah, using Perish Song to force switches or ensure someone goes down by preventing them from switching is a nice strategy.