NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

Everything that was in this trailer was part of that old leak BTW; further confirming that it was true... all of it.

Spoiler

2915214-6224036108-pikac.jpg

RETRO 'CHU IS COMING BACK!!

Edited by Dcubed

So that trailer and that description confused me no end and left me even more confused on why Z moves and Mega Evolution have gone because Dynamaxing, Gigantmaxing G-moves seem to be the same things with different names and lazier art design

Gamefreak: Only new Pokemon from Galar will be able to use Dynamaxing

Everyone: Finally they are stopping Gen 1 pandering and giving some awesome new mechanics to the new Pokemon Inthe game!

Also Gamefreak: Pokémon from other regions will be able to use Gigamaxing which is bigger and better than Dynamaxing in every way. Only specific Pokémon from other regions will be able to use Gigamaxing. You can guess which ones.

Everyone: :o

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Everything that was in this trailer was part of that old leak BTW; further confirming that it was true... all of it.

Looking forward to seeing this... (Reveal hidden contents)

2915214-6224036108-pikac.jpg

RETRO 'CHU IS COMING BACK!!

At least one thing in every "true" leak is fake as it's just info thrown in by the leaker to make people think that such a thing is in the game when in fact it isn't. Or, that thing is taken out of the game for whatever reason.

3 hours ago, Agent Gibbs said:

So that trailer and that description confused me no end and left me even more confused on why Z moves and Mega Evolution have gone because Dynamaxing, Gigantmaxing G-moves seem to be the same things with different names and lazier art design

That's exactly it.  It's a way of introducing very similar mechanics, but without the associated costs and time involved in order to make new models, animations and designs for each Mega Pokemon.

Game Freak have already had to cut Pokemon from the game entirely; so it makes sense that they're trying to cut any reasonable corner they can in order to get the game out during this year.  If the release date is absolutely immutable (as is probably the case), then it's a sensible approach to take.

If only Let's Go (and the original shift towards mobile) hadn't have happened... they wouldn't have had to lose a year+ on Sword/Shield's development...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

On 08/07/2019 at 7:14 PM, Ronnie said:

Out of curiosity what do all these mega evolutions, gigantamaxing, dynamixing, Z-Moves, G Max Moves etc actually do from a gameplay POV? Is it just the same moves as normal but slightly more powerful attack values or is it more interesting than that?

I actually heard something interesting about this at the Q&A panel, I say interesting very loosely because it actually makes me feel a bit disappointed, but I'll explain. Paraphrasing btw, but this was the main point:

"I was fighting Nessa during my demo time with the Pokémon company, who dynamaxed one of her water types. I sent out Yamper because I figured an electric type would do well, and he got destroyed before I could do anything. I think it's very strategic, that you have to essentially decide which Pokémon to send out as a sacrifice."

Now either he's not very good at battles (or because using weak demo Pokémon, which is fair enough) or my worst assumption is correct: 

Dynamax is near impossible to overcome without sending out another huge Pokémon of your own. The latter idea irks me ever so much, because I don't like the idea of GameFreak deciding that big Pokémon can only be taken down with OP powerhouses or other Big Pokémon. I also don't think "sacrificing" and "waiting" are particularly strategic things to do... Even if you came up with a way to weather the storm without your Pokémon dying, that's still pretty much a "just don't die 'til Dynamax wears off" strategy. Maybe you could use something like a FEAR strategy on them, but I feel like this new mechanic just limits your options either way. Even if you're the one doing the dynamaxing, it's limiting you to "be big and just nuke the enemy with no careful strategy or planning". Unless you're against another Max, you really don't get to do anything interesting once you pop the enlargement pill.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sofiz said:

Dynamax is near impossible to overcome without sending out another huge Pokémon of your own.

This is my biggest worry about Dynamax. It might be too much to counteract through normal means.

Now granted, in that example you gave, that electric Pokémon wouldn't resist a water move, something like Grass might stand a chance. But three turns of constantly powerful attacks from a stat-boosted Pokémon?

If it is that powerful, moves like Protect and Spiky Shield will become absolutely vital to doing well in battles. Even outside of competitive ones. And those moves are the most boring, pace-killing moves ever.

Having to sacrifice Pokémon isn't good strategy, well, unless you used Explosion to take down a full-HP Pokémon with one in the red.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Having to sacrifice Pokémon isn't good strategy, well, unless you used Explosion to take down a full-HP Pokémon with one in the red.

That's a good strategy, as you're using the move in the best possible way. Using Pokémon as cannon fodder however, is not.

I do hope they allow Pro Controller useage with this game. 

I'm playing "Let's Go" again, and that single joy-con control method is just the absolute pits. 

25 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I do hope they allow Pro Controller useage with this game. 

I'm playing "Let's Go" again, and that single joy-con control method is just the absolute pits. 

I'm hoping Pro Controller usage is supported without question as it's the only way I'll consider playing the game.

Has it really not been confirmed yet? :hmm:

I was hoping that Let's Go would get patched so that a Pro Controller could be used when playing on the big screen.

I haven't touched it since I started playing it briefly a little while back, same for Super Mario Party...

I'm aware of the reasons behind the joy-con only control scheme but I just hate being effectively forced to use them if I want to play the games. ::shrug:

So I really hope that these latest games support the Pro Controller on day one, otherwise it's a no sale from me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I'm hoping Pro Controller usage is supported without question as it's the only way I'll consider playing the game.

Has it really not been confirmed yet? :hmm:

I was hoping that Let's Go would get patched so that a Pro Controller could be used when playing on the big screen.

I haven't touched it since I started playing it briefly a little while back, same for Super Mario Party...

I'm aware of the reasons behind the joy-con only control scheme but I just hate being effectively forced to use them if I want to play the games. ::shrug:

So I really hope that these latest games support the Pro Controller on day one, otherwise it's a no sale from me.

I don't think they allowed it with Let's Go, because when in TV mode you had to use motion controls to throw a Poke Ball to catch a wild pokemon. Which again, is torture. 

Not so bad if you want a Lv 3 Caterpie that stands still, but when you get the better Pokemon it can be painful. That's why I ended up playing the majority in handheld mode when really I loved the look of it on the big screen. 

I'll still buy regardless, but the lack of Pro Controller support would be a massive bummer. Hopefully we get confirmation soon. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sofiz said:

Dynamax is near impossible to overcome without sending out another huge Pokémon of your own. 

OK, this tells me very much that someone at GameFreak is a huge Godzilla/Ultraman fan because of the idea that only massive Pokemon can take down other massive Pokemon.

I will reserve judgement on the whole mechanic until I get a chance at playing it myself.

• Haha 1

To the people wondering about Pro Controller support, I'm 99% sure I saw someone playing Pokemon SwSh with a Pro Controller during one of the E3 videos! :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sckewi said:

To the people wondering about Pro Controller support, I'm 99% sure I saw someone playing Pokemon SwSh with a Pro Controller during one of the E3 videos! :)

Thank you. :D

I thought I saw that as well, but I couldn't be sure as E3 week was a bit of a whirlwind, but that's good enough for me, if the Pro Controller was there, then I'm there for the pre-order. :peace:

• Like 1

There are steelbook versions available for the individual games now! Check them out on Nintendo UK's store or ShopTo. Speaking of ShopTo, I don't know how reliable they are but they're offering £10 off on preorders, both the dual pack and the individual games.

I actually think the individual game steelbooks look better than the dual pack one. xD

Although it says the artwork isn't final for all of them.

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Argh! Wrong Westfield! Should've been the one in Stratford!

Any Westfield is the wrong Westfield. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Ashley said:

Any Westfield is the wrong Westfield. 

This is fact. You're liable to be trampled most days.

Edited by Glen-i

Apparently there will be some Pokemon SwSh news tomorrow, which happens to be exactly 100 days until it's out!

I wonder if they'l tell us about this game's evil team (if there is one?).

Or maybe they will announce that they've decided to put all Pokemon in the game. xD

1 hour ago, Sckewi said:

Apparently there will be some Pokemon SwSh news tomorrow, which happens to be exactly 100 days until it's out!

I wonder if they'l tell us about this game's evil team (if there is one?).

Or maybe they will announce that they've decided to put all Pokemon in the game. xD

The announcement video is tomorrow, not today.

Chances are that it'll reveal the rest of the info that was part of the original leak...

Spoiler

umzO15.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

This is fact. You're liable to be trampled most days.

But I'll still see you there October 18th, right?

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

But I'll still see you there October 18th, right?

...Maybe.

content-4-35900-pokemonswordshieldnewinfobanner.jpg

We'll be sure to cover this tomorrow soon after it airs.

All relevant times are in the article but it's 2PM for the UK.

• Thanks 3

Well, that wasn't as big as an announcement as everyone was anticipating. And I can't believe they actually use the term "hangry"!

• Thanks 2