NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Don't lump people like me with them lot.

I'd suggest not taking every post so personally. My post wasn't about you. I said...

fuck the crybabies harrassing them

unless you're harrassing them, that isn't you.

There's a growing trend of game devs (artists if you will) no longer doing what they want to do but feeling forced into doing what they're "TOLD" to do. I just find it annoying.

About to see the Birdkeepertoby Q&A panel, I'm asking him who the cutest cover legendary is so we can finally know.

UPDATE: he said Xerneas

Edited by Sofiz
  • Haha 3

Anyone got a copy of platinum they are looking to sell? Only Pokemon game I don’t own ... not that I can transfer the Pokemon over 😂😂

Could they have maybe spent more than 2 minutes on the box art? :blank:

Edited by Ronnie

Oh. 

The previously discovered phenomenon known as Dynamaxing can only occur in specific areas of the Galar region. While Dynamaxing seems to be a phenomenon common to Pokémon from Galar, it’s been discovered that there’s a special phenomenon known as Gigantamaxing. Not only do Gigantamax Pokémon become bigger, but their appearance also changes. Like normal Dynamaxing, Gigantamaxing boosts the power of the Pokémon—and it also allows each Gigantamax Pokémon to use a unique move known as a G-Max Move. Each G-Max Move is particular to a specific species of Gigantamax Pokémon, and regular Dynamax Pokémon are not able to use G-Max Moves. Only certain species of Pokémon can Gigantamax—and even among such species, only rare specimens will be able to Gigantamax. The majority of Pokémon will keep their usual appearance when they Dynamax. Two Pokémon species revealed to have Gigantamaxing capabilities today are Drednaw and Corviknight.

So.. Dynamaxing for Pokémon not in Galar. 

I get the feeling that these titles are being rushed out to meet the demand for them, it would explain why they've made so many concessions.

If not... then if they actually took time to come up with those boxarts and they aren't as a result of being rushed then, that's not really great.

Anyway, I suppose it doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things, plenty of iconic titles have bad box art.

As for all of this Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing... it's OK I suppose, the only thing I like about it is that it gives a more Pokémon Stadium feel when used in the arenas.

39 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Oh. 

So.. Dynamaxing for Pokémon not in Galar. 

That whole paragraph reads like a trainwreck. All sounds like pointless fluff (with terrible names, Gigantamax? G-Max Move?)

• Like 2

To be honest, the whole nature of these games means I'm not getting hyped for them in the same way as I did with Sun and Moon. Game Freak may claim they are trying to make this game the best possible game in the series but everything going on surrounding this game claims otherwise. 

That said, I definiately want to use a Yupper on my team. Sucker for Dog Pokemon that aren't Normal, I used an Arcanine in White 2 and a Lycanroc in Moon.

• Thanks 1

I already pre-ordered Sword.

7_8_version_2.jpg

I see I made the right choice.

By that description, Gigantamaxing is basically temporary Mega Evolution while G-Max is Z-Moves. I mean, the only difference is that certain Pokémon get more of an advantage when they use it...

Wait a sec...

OH MY ARCEUS! DYNAMAXING IS A BLATANT RIP-OFF OF AWAKENING FROM SUPER MYSTERY DUNGEON!

Let me explain. Awakening was a feature that Chunsoft used to implement Mega Evolution in a game that doesn't have trainers.

Simply put, some items let a Pokémon enter awakening state for a limited amount of time. This increased their stats and allowed them to block attacks from the front. But when certain Pokémon did this (Charizard or Mewtwo for example), they Mega Evolve as well, giving them a bigger advantage. (Although to balance things out, Mega Evolved Pokémon go on a rampage when it runs out which may hurt your team)

With this explanation on what Dynamaxing is, the similarities are glaring.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

That whole paragraph reads like a trainwreck. All sounds like pointless fluff (with terrible names, Gigantamax? G-Max Move?)

Yeah. I'm more confused having read it!

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Glad that wasn't just me then. Sounds far too convoluted for no reason.

Dynamaxing doesn't sound that great if it replaces your moves with generic ones, gonna make the gym battles pretty boring.

8 minutes ago, Ike said:

Glad that wasn't just me then. Sounds far too convoluted for no reason.

Dynamaxing doesn't sound that great if it replaces your moves with generic ones, gonna make the gym battles pretty boring.

Simply put. Gigantamax is a better version of Dynamax that only a select few Pokémon can actually use.

It's a Mega Evolution reboot.

G-Max Moves are Z-Moves. Specifically, the Z-Moves that only one Pokémon species could use.

Edited by Glen-i

10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Simply put. Gigantamax is a better version of Dynamax that only a select few Pokémon can actually use.

It's a Mega Evolution reboot.

G-Max Moves are Z-Moves. Specifically, the Z-Moves that only one Pokémon species could use.

That's a lot more clearer explaination.

It's just so weird. Earlier they explained Dynamaxing as a way to make previously unuseful Pokémon relevant in the game and now they introduce another version where some Pokémon seem even more useful than others. 

I think they've lost it with this gimmick.

Out of curiosity what do all these mega evolutions, gigantamaxing, dynamixing, Z-Moves, G Max Moves etc actually do from a gameplay POV? Is it just the same moves as normal but slightly more powerful attack values or is it more interesting than that?

Edited by Ronnie

12 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

It's just so weird. Earlier they explained Dynamaxing as a way to make previously unuseful Pokémon relevant in the game and now they introduce another version where some Pokémon seem even more useful than others. 

I think they've lost it with this gimmick.

That was never gonna happen anyway. Even before this better version was explained, why Dynamax a weaker Pokémon when you can Dynamax an already useful Pokémon and make it even better?

It's the Mega Rayquaza conundrum, why use any other Mega Evolution when Rayquaza has a clear inherent advantage over everyone else? (Rayquaza didn't need to use up an item slot to Mega Evolve, so you could use a different item)

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Out of curiosity what do all these mega evolutions, gigantamaxing, dynamixing, Z-Moves, G Max Moves etc actually do from a gameplay POV? Is it just the same moves as normal but slightly more powerful attack values or is it more interesting than that?

Seeing as I play Pokemon competitively, I'll try and keep this brief.

Z-Moves were a once per battle mechanic that significantly increased the damage output of an attack. It basically gave each trainer a nuke button for dealing with difficult opponents. I wasn't a fan, there was little strategy involved.

Mega Evolution, depending on the Pokémon, increased it's stats by a total of 100 (It was distributed differently depending on the Pokémon, so Venusaur would get more of a defensive boost while Mewtwo would get it's Special stats enhanced) Some Pokémon would even change their typing and ability. (Gyarados changes from Water/Flying to Water/Dark)

It was a good concept executed kinda poorly. It was a great opportunity for weaker Pokémon to become more viable. (Beedrill went from a complete joke to a genuine glass cannon threat) The problem is Game Freak gave Mega Evolutions to popular Pokémon that were already really strong. (Such as Mewtwo, Rayquaza and others) and it kinda fell apart by the time Gen 6 ended.

Dynamax seemed to be a combination of both, but with a 3 turn time limit. This Gigantamaxing confirms that there's a better version that only certain Pokémon can use. Much like Mega Evolution.

If Game Freak keep it in check and only give Gigantamaxing to Pokémon that aren't already really useful, there's a good potential for competitive play to be more balanced, but I'm not getting my hopes up, considering the blatant pandering they've been pulling since X/Y.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Some Pokémon would even change their typing and ability. (Gyarados changes from Water/Flying to Water/Dark)

This part sounds most interesting. Otherwise just increasing attack/defence stats seems a bit mindless :blank: like you say buffing weaker ones sounds like a good strategy, problem is I suspect a lot of people want to see the powerful ones get even more powerful.

Just seems weird they keep introducing things, then ditching them, then replacing them with something similar but a different name. It'd drive my OCD crazy if I was a Pokemon fan.

Edited by Ronnie

Thank you @Glen-i for explaining what these things mean.  Can you explain why they named Gigantamaxing after a penis enlargement pill?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Thank you @Glen-i for explaining what these things mean.  Can you explain why they named Gigantamaxing after a penis enlargement pill?

Because someone's favourite Pokémon is Palkia.

• Haha 2