NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

15 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Am I sad they never kept Tatl from Majora's Mask or Linebeck from Phatom Hourglass in every subsequent Zelda game? Of course not, that would be stupid. Instead, those subsequent games give me brand new experiences each every time, not the exact same game repackaged time after time like Pokemon does, with the same simplistic button-puzzle gyms, the same buff/debuff animations and souds, the same statuesque copy and pasted NPCs patrolling routes ready to stop you if you walk past.

Oh yeah, I forgot you had the choice to play through Phantom Hourglass as Linebeck instead of Link.

Come on, man. You know that's not a similar situation.

The thing that bothers me

The thing that bothers me is your spelling of the word 'lose'.
  • Haha 1

Oh yeah, I forgot you had the choice to play through Phantom Hourglass as Linebeck instead of Link.
Come on, man. You know that's not a similar situation.
There's very few Pokémon you're actually playing as (and never in the main titles), you're just issuing commands. A better comparison would be the creatures you direct to fight for you in Ni No Kuni, which as far as I know nobody really cares about and they didn't all reappear in the sequel.

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

the creatures you direct to fight for you in Ni No Kuni, which as far as I know nobody really cares about

EXCUSE ME? :p 

First of all, the creatures are called "familiars". :nono:

And secondly: I care about 'em. They're awesome.

latest?cb=20160522073229 Draggle

latest?cb=20140604185301 Psychophant

latest?cb=20140611141115 Auroralynx

latest?cb=20160522060627 Scrapdragon

I love them and I'm still sad that they got rid of the mechanic in the sequel (it was still a great game). :( 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

EXCUSE ME?  
First of all, the creatures are called "familiars". :nono:
And secondly: I care about 'em. They're awesome.
latest?cb=20160522073229 Draggle
latest?cb=20140604185301 Psychophant
latest?cb=20140611141115 Auroralynx
latest?cb=20160522060627 Scrapdragon
I love them and I'm still sad that they got rid of the mechanic in the sequel (it was still a great game).  
Oh yeah, I think they were cooler than most new Pokémon, just saying that nobody really seemed to voice anything when it didn't carry over to No No Kuni 2. But because Pokémon, people complain in this situation.

Always thought something like this would happen. Just constantly making up new Pokémon that for whatever reason weren't discovered in the previous games was never going to be sustainable. Not at all fussed as the newer Pokémon designs generally speaking don't hold a candle to gen 1/2.

Personally I hope they enrarge as many Pokémon fans as possible while making the cuts, because Pokémon fans are the worst. ;P

Maybe now they will be able to concentrate on more important things like shaking up the gameplay/structure of the main series.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Not at all fussed as the newer Pokémon designs generally speaking don't hold a candle to gen 1/2.

Just here to say that Krookodile is way better than any Gen 1 Pokémon (I'd say Feraligatr is the only Gen 2 one who I think might be cooler)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

To most people, this is a non-change as I don't think that many people actually carry over their Pokémon.

However, don't start bringing in other games and sequels in comparison as that doesn't make any sense. Since G/S, Pokémon games have given you the ability to transfer over your old Pokémon to use in the new games and that has now changed. Ni no Kuni 2 doesn't let you bring over your old "familiars", well, then the third game probably won't as well - it's simply not a part of the games' identity. So some characters from some old Zelda-games don't appear in newer games? Alright. Then they are only side-characeters - however, a Zelda game where the sheikah or similar are not represented may feel wrong at this time as they have been present in many, many games since their conception. People were also frustrated when their favorites from Super Smash Bros. Melee didn't carry over to Brawl, understandably, because from Super Smash Bros. to Melee, all existing characters carried over so it was somewhat expected that that would also be the case for Brawl. It wasn't, and people were sad and complained, understandably.

But it is with Pokémon it is part of the identity for the games. I mean, it's part of the theme song! "Gotta catch 'em all!" - except that now you can't catch or at least own all existing Pokémon in one game. Of course that upsets the people who enjoyed that aspect of the game, even though there are crappy designs here and there.

Speaking of designs, this love for Gen 1 and partly Gen 2 has to stop. Gen 1 is generally boring as many of the Pokémon are almost an exact copy of an existing animal with only a few original designs. At least they let the designs deviate a lot more in further generations - though there is no excuse for Pokémon like Aegislash and Klefki that are based on human creations - that doesn't make sense. (We also have Grimer and Muk who are based on human waste... Terrible designs.)

I think it's a bad decision because it changes what Pokémon is about but as I'm not one of those carrying over previous Pokémon, it won't affect me.

However, it's a good excuse to bring back the Stadium-games as someone mentioned earlier.

10 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Speaking of designs, this love for Gen 1 and partly Gen 2 has to stop. Gen 1 is generally boring as many of the Pokémon are almost an exact copy of an existing animal with only a few original designs. At least they let the designs deviate a lot more in further generations - though there is no excuse for Pokémon like Aegislash and Klefki that are based on human creations - that doesn't make sense. (We also have Grimer and Muk who are based on human waste... Terrible designs.)

You're right that Gen 1 is overrated, and that the designs aren't as cool as people make them out to be, but what is with this opinion people seem to have that Pokémon based off of human creations is a bad idea? You can't argue that it makes no sense, as 

a) Pokémon lore states that objects can become Pokémon when imbued with some special power

b) you can argue that in the Pokémon world, early civilisations would have been inspired by Pokémon to create these man-made objects

c) evolution in the real sense could see Pokémon adapt slowly over time with humans, coming to resemble more and more these manmade objects over time

I personally would rather Pokémon weren't restricted in terms of what we can base designs from. And I personally think Muk, Aegislash and Klefki are wonderful.

7 minutes ago, Sofiz said:

You're right that Gen 1 is overrated, and that the designs aren't as cool as people make them out to be, but what is with this opinion people seem to have that Pokémon based off of human creations is a bad idea? You can't argue that it makes no sense, as 

a) Pokémon lore states that objects can become Pokémon when imbued with some special power

b) you can argue that in the Pokémon world, early civilisations would have been inspired by Pokémon to create these man-made objects

c) evolution in the real sense could see Pokémon adapt slowly over time with humans, coming to resemble more and more these manmade objects over time

I personally would rather Pokémon weren't restricted in terms of what we can base designs from. And I personally think Muk, Aegislash and Klefki are wonderful.

I wasn't aware of a) - that would make sense.

To me, though, it just raised the question of what came first and I didn't like to think about that. It's mainly from a philosophical point of view but that is rendered invalid with a).

My world is shaken. Not stirred.

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

Though there is no excuse for Pokémon like Aegislash

How dare you! we don't have enough Ghost Pokemon to start bashing them.

The comparison to Ni No Kuni is interesting, because Mindfreaks post made me realise thats exactly how they should do this for this Gen and beyond - you didn't carry over familiars because the games story, protagonist etc was different so it made no story sense to do so - why not do that for Pokemon? no carry over - you are a new trainer, have new pokemon, or make it post game only to transfer over level 1 clones of pokemon you want to transfer.

Really its not that bad a thing. the bigger issues are how the game looks, when Nintendo create a world the size of BOTW on switch, by comparison, Gamefreaks efforts for one open area and limited towns seems, well, poor. if its been sacrificed to retain hundreds of mon, then they needed to be braver and cut them down to no more than 200? 300? 400? and then expand the world. 

And a new gimic of making supersize pokemon seems terrible, like they got stuck watching season one of the anime and loved that giant gengar episode, or the one with the massive clay doll from whatever season. They could have stuck with Megas and been more simple and just given us a new story in a new area which is really all people want. Who wants a new Gimic that will be dropped by the next game? especially one that amounts to changing the scale of the Pokemon

• Thanks 1

Castlevania-styled Pokémon-movie?

Sorry, I know this is completely irrelevant to this thread but it's just... really cool.

Edited by MindFreak

I have a feeling all the Gen 1 pandering is a marketing thing. Everyone involved wants to sell this game to as many people as possible, not just for the hardcore crowd who've kept up to date with the series and not just with young kids who may be getting into the series for the first time. They also want people who haven't played since the series began to have a reason to check out the newer games and the easiest way to do that is to include some sort of familiarity to what already exists.

I think this is just something that happens with all long running franchises that are big at some point. If there is any dwindling in public importance after a certain time period then while the hardcore fans will always get something new to freshen up the series, the general public will only ever remember the popular stuff from when said series began, and in Pokemon's case it was unlike anything ever seen before when it came around as a craze.

It's not just Pokemon this happens with, you can look to other examples of things that were well known at one point but faded from public eye despite the fact that they never really ended. For example, Power Rangers is currently on it's 20th different version and the new toys support this, but everyone remembers the original series and the Mighty Morphin team the most so for many years new versions of those rangers have been in production as action figures under Legacy lines and Lightning Collection and all the new seasons have been referencing the original in some way, shape or form regardless of whether it's appropriate to do so. These newers shows have been similarly panned for Mighty Morphin pandering.

Another example is Yu-Gi-Oh. This is a game that has changed considerably over time but in spite of the fact that decks containing the likes of Blue Eyes White Dragon and Dark Magician pale in effectiveness to newer stuff like the Salamangreat family the former are still most well known to the general public. So naturally when it came to advertising the mobile game Konami referenced Dark Magician.

Unless a series has managed to keep itself rooted in pop culture and the public eye for an extremely long period of time then there is always going to be that period of time where something WAS super popular that those running these franchises are always going to look back to as a means of generating more profit, so they reference such a time period. I suspect this will also continue to be the case for more modern day fads like Fortnine, no matter how long it goes on for if it fades from public eye and general mass popularity you will always have a generation of kids who grow up to be adults with nostalgia for "how Fortnite used to be". And before anyone says Fortnite sucks... you'd be right but let's not forget that the stuff we grew up with like Pokemon was not seen always with the same kind of enthusiasm among our parents or any generation over a certain age. Overtime, a new generation that grows up can change the overall historical perspective of something and all the Fortnite playing kids right now will be adults by the 2030s, Their interests may have changed significantly by then but there's always a chance they will have some nostalgia over something that used to be popular when they were young, just like what we have experienced since our generation became adults with all these 90s things becoming prominent and relevant in the modern day in some way.

On 6/18/2019 at 7:34 AM, Glen-i said:

BTW, one of those Pikachu knock-offs won a World Championship. So it's way better than Pikachu. Buzzwole (an Ultra Beast) is legit one of my favourite Pokémon from Sun/Moon. It's super hilarious!

As @Ashley pointed out, Buzzwole is one of my favourites. He's just so utterly bizarre but kind of amazing. Him and Marshadow I absolutely love.

Edited by Daft
  • Like 1

On 19/06/2019 at 8:07 AM, MindFreak said:

At least they let the designs deviate a lot more in further generations - though there is no excuse for Pokémon like Aegislash and Klefki that are based on human creations - that doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to put a nerdy roadblock on those.

You've fallen into the common misconception about Klefki. Klefki is not the entirety of the model. Only the middle section is Klefki. The keys around it are literally just keys. It's a fairy Pokémon that collects keys. A Klepto for keys, that Klefki. (I don't like Klefki, though, it's one of those Pokémon that looked neat at first, but then dominated online battles and soured my impression of it. Kinda like Garchomp and Mimikyu)

As for Aegislash, it's typing should be a massive clue as to the story behind that one. Ghost possesses dangerous objects to defend itself. I'd be astonished if it didn't show up in Sword/Shield.

Then again, Sun/Moon didn't let you catch a Solrock/Lunatone in Alola. Which is amazingly dumb.

• Thanks 3

I like Klefki and Aegislash. Cool designs and cool names.

What I really can't stand is every cover legendary from gen 4 onwards. 

18 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

I like Klefki and Aegislash. Cool designs and cool names.

What I really can't stand is every cover legendary from gen 4 onwards. 

Palkia gets a pass from me because it's got a penis for a head and Game Freak got away with it. And that's just great.

I won't have people talk smack about Zekrom though. It's the best cover legendary, in my opinion.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Palkia gets a pass from me because it's got a penis for a head and Game Freak got away with it. And that's just great.

I won't have people talk smack about Zekrom though. It's the best cover legendary, in my opinion.

*to the tune of 'what would she look like with a chimney for a head'*

• Haha 2

Back before E3 started, I wrote an article about some common criticisms Pokémon faces nowadays. In the process, I inadvertently revived a long missing aspect of N-E articles, so I present to you...

N-Eaction: Pokémon Gotta Criticise 'em All!

content-2-35844-neactionpokemonsidebox.j

Thanks to @S.C.G for helping get it up and @RedShell for the um... appropriate images.

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on what I cover in there. Well, maybe not that particular topic. I think there's been enough discussion on that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/20/2019 at 7:48 PM, Glen-i said:

You do realise that means that you're saying that Zekrom is better than Groudon here... right?

I wish they'd stop using the legendaries for covers. They're normally pretty ugly. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I wish they'd stop using the legendaries for covers. They're normally pretty ugly. 

This. Should be cute Pokémon only on the covers. :hehe: 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dcubed said:

You do realise that means that you're saying that Zekrom is better than Groudon here... right?

Well I was replying to someone who was saying that the cover legendaries from Gen 4 onwards were not good. I forgot to clarify that Zekrom is the best out of that lot. Which is true. Reshiram would be up there too if it didn't have the unfortunate "Questionable Blaziken Hair"

Nothing beats Groudon. @RedShell, because it's a cute cover legendary. That big lug is adorable!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2
  • Weird 1