NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Not just Pokemon, I mean everything in the games industry. There are so few genuine surprises anymore and it's a real shame. And we're still a month till E3 so plenty more to come.

Yup. I'm totally with you on this one. It's getting really out of hand.

I watched a YouTube video about it the other day and the guy was saying this is why E3 lacks the impact it once did. Most things get leaked and the surprise is taken away from the shows. Two years in a row now Microsoft have had their press conference spoiled because of leaks.

He also made a good point of how leaking games and rumours are such money spinners for a lot of Youtubers that it causes a lot of people to actively search for things all the time. Just look at the amount of views and videos that got created over these rumours or the E3 Walmart leak. It's crazy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sounds more like a Pokémon Dungeon game with Pikachu & Eevee as starters, and possible dumbed down mechanics.

If it is a main series game, it'll be refreshing not having some super powerful (and increasingly naff looking) legendaries dominating the box art and story.

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

If that's the case, who would ever choose Pikachu?

*raises hand* :D

Although this is going to have to mix things up quite a bit in order to get me interested in Pokémon again. I skipped on the most recent games after barely being able to make it through the demo... :zzz: 

• Like 1

Well, if that Eevee is as stubborn as Pokémon Yellow Pikachu and refuses to evolve, I'd choose Pikachu too (and box it soon after...).

As for the possible leaks, the problem is that they are very incomplete, so speculation goes through the roof. But it takes the fun out of E3, I completely agree. We probably get some more details but the feeling of a bombshell being dropped is gone.

11 minutes ago, RedShell said:

*raises hand* :D

Same for me. Even though I do love Eevee and its evolutions, I gotta go with Pikachu.

• Like 1

I think leaks can sometimes help a game in the long run, Mario + Rabbids springs to mind and maybe Retro's game, we'll see. 

52 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup. I'm totally with you on this one. It's getting really out of hand.

I watched a YouTube video about it the other day and the guy was saying this is why E3 lacks the impact it once did. Most things get leaked and the surprise is taken away from the shows. Two years in a row now Microsoft have had their press conference spoiled because of leaks.

He also made a good point of how leaking games and rumours are such money spinners for a lot of Youtubers that it causes a lot of people to actively search for things all the time. Just look at the amount of views and videos that got created over these rumours or the E3 Walmart leak. It's crazy. 

And it's not just on our end, ruining the magic of E3 etc. The devs of these games can't be too chuffed either, not being able to reveal their game on their own terms, games they've spent years making. All because people on 4chan or the likes of Laura Kate Dale and (in the past) Emily Rogers want a few moments of fame every so often. Emily is a lot better about it now to be fair, only leaking development info, tidbits or hints rather than spoiling the whole game.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

And it's not just on our end, ruining the magic of E3 etc. The devs of these games can't be too chuffed either, not being able to reveal their game on their own terms, games they've spent years making. All because people on 4chan or the likes of Laura Kate Dale and (in the past) Emily Rogers want a few moments of fame every so often. Emily is a lot better about it now to be fair, only leaking development info, tidbits or hints rather than spoiling the whole game.

Yeah, it's gotta be rough on the developers/publishers. It kinda makes you wonder whether Rage 2 was going to be announced at E3 but because of the leak their hand was forced to show it earlier.

4 hours ago, Serebii said:

Can I also remind people it has been longer since the last new game in Kanto (2009 - 9 years) than it was between Red & Green and FireRed & LeafGreen (Just under 8 years)

It’s also been 10 years since we’ve seen Sinnoh, so... ::shrug: though, based on past precedent, I wouldn’t have expected that game this year anyway: we’ve been having remakes every other generation for a while now, so I’m surprised to see so many fans up in arms about Sinnoh being “skipped”. 

@Glen-i I think @Vileplume2000 is on the money; if Pikachu and Eevee are the starters, we probably won’t be able to evolve them. If we can, I’d imagine it would be fairly late into the game. 

@Hero-of-Time @Ronnie I agree that leaks are really damaging, and aren’t good for either the potential audience of the game or it’s developers. It surprises me a little bit just how much more under wraps the reveals saved for The Game Awards seem to be than for something like E3, as both of them are massive showcases/conferences. I’m still excited for this year’s E3, but when I hear a tease that Capcom are bringing two games to it, I have a very good idea of what it is that they’re going to show.

It really does kind of suck.

With regards to Pokémon in particular, substantial leaks have been much more common over the last 2 years, at least as far as I can remember, which seems to be a result than of the games now being localised in China (the SM and USUM leaks were China-based, if I recall correctly). 

The fact that @Dcubed's "Mobile Generation" theory is even remotely feasible is downright depressing.

And a few days ago, I was worried about being able to battle online.

"Oh, it's alright, you can piggyback off of @Dcubed's family subscription. But now Pokémon's at risk of dumbing itself down for people who haven't actually played Pokémon in years."

tumblr_inline_p6onq2bc0Z1r9vxyz_540.gif

• Haha 3

Still waiting for moar details about this but I could hope that GameFreak might introduce more new Kanto pokemon that they originally designed for Red and Blue but never add 'em in the game (like a new eeveelution or second evolution of Pikachu aka Gorochu) or Kanto variant for pokemon originated from different regions. We have no idea what Pokemon Go aspects they will use in the core game but I'll like to have the Pokemon will appear in the game similar to PoGo rather than a random encounter with an unknown pokemon in the grass and how they will revamp the catching mechanism with Touchscreen or Joycon.

• Like 1

Hmm, I suppose there were suggestions that they were going to rethink many of the game mechanics for the move onto Switch. I hope they don't make it exactly like GO and although the trademarks all but confirm this is real, I am still going to be cautious over automatically thinking that everything in that leak is true. Chances are part of it was made up too if a good amount of points turns out to be real.

• Like 1

+1 for choosing Pikachu

This will be the first mainline Pokemon game to be released for a console I actually own since Gold/Silver, so I'm really looking forward to it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bob said:

+1 for choosing Pikachu

This will be the first mainline Pokemon game to be released for a console I actually own since Gold/Silver, so I'm really looking forward to it!

I remembered SNES have an cartridge that allows you to play gameboy games on it. 😛 Oh it's called Super Gameboy. 😂 

Edited by DriftKaiser

So, this week is, supposedly, the week! 

I’m always extremely nervous but excited in the lead-up to Pokémon reveals. If we do see it this week, do we think it will just be logos that we see, or a CG trailer? Or will we get a good first look at gameplay?

1 hour ago, Julius Caesar said:

So, this week is, supposedly, the week! 

I’m always extremely nervous but excited in the lead-up to Pokémon reveals. If we do see it this week, do we think it will just be logos that we see, or a CG trailer? Or will we get a good first look at gameplay?

I just need confirmation of actual new Pokémon. CG or otherwise, I don't care.

I shouldn't be worrying about whether this will actually happen, but I'm genuinely concerned.

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I just need confirmation of actual new Pokémon. CG or otherwise, I don't care.

I shouldn't be worrying about whether this will actually happen, but I'm genuinely concerned.

Can you see yourself buying it if it's got Go intergration, set in Kanto and only has a handful on new Pokemon? I'm just curious to what you're breaking point is.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Can you see yourself buying it if it's got Go intergration, set in Kanto and only has a handful on new Pokemon? I'm just curious to what you're breaking point is.

Honestly, the new Pokémon. I can live with any Gen 1 Pandering or desperate attempts to get the mobile crowd on board. I'll grumble about it, but I'll soldier on.

I moan about a lot of stuff with the 3DS games, sure. But when a new generation starts, I could always rely on a bunch of new Pokémon to discover. And then I could experiment with them online to see what new strategies I can come up with.

The competitive scene changes quite a bit when you introduce new Pokémon with new moves and abilities. A new popular threat can suddenly make a previously underutilised Pokémon suddenly carve itself a niche. (Marowak, a Pokémon that hasn't been good since Gen 2, overnight became the best counter to Pheromosa. And quickly became the defensive core of my team throughout Gen 7)

When I first played Pokemon, my sense of discovery was satiated simply by watching my team throughout the story. 9 year old me ran to my mum, getting over excited about how I finally got the cool dragon on the box.

Nowadays, finishing the Pokédex marks the beginning of my experimenting. Finding out how to utilise the new Pokémon I really liked during my playthrough, what other people are copy pasting from Smogon and figuring out new and unexpected ways to punish them for having no imagination. (No Kyogre can stand against my Speedy Thunder Punching Groudon)

Say these next games went the "Return to Kanto, only Gen 1 Pokémon" route. Going by the official rules of "Only Pokémon that can be caught in the latest games can be used in competitions" That's effectively reduced the team building options by more than half! And there isn't even new Pokémon to help mitigate that. And that's before we get to the issue of how most Gen 1 Pokémon aren't even viable...

I don't believe Game Freak would go so far as to having only 151 Pokémon. At worst, they'll probably have some modern Pokémon available after you see the credits. But without 70-ish new Pokémon to play with, I might as well just carry on battling on Sun and Moon.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2

Guys...IT’S HAPPENING, IT LOOKS LIKE IT’S FINALLY HAPPENING! :D 

I doubt that Oha Suta will be the first to reveal the game if this is it. Off the top of my head, I can’t remember the last time a Japanese show got to be the first to exclusively reveal a game, though I remember plenty of times that they’ve revealed new Pokémon or shown off new footage. 

So a reveal by Thursday seems probable? :D 

2 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Guys...IT’S HAPPENING, IT LOOKS LIKE IT’S FINALLY HAPPENING! :D 

I for one am looking forward to Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Switch.

• Haha 1