NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Yoshi's Crafted World (2019 - Switch)

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I unlocked and beat all of the post game levels this morning. 

D2-Yo64U4AA17in?format=jpg&name=large

They offered more of a challenge, what with there being no checkpoints throughout the levels. It's a shame there are only 4 of these.

Have you tried the boss challenges? I think they might be somewhat difficult. 

I had hoped you would be the one to collect all flowers so I could see what that unlocks but I'll have to find someone else to ask. Hehe. 

47 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Have you tried the boss challenges? 

Yup. I'm actually on doing them now. I've just got the final boss battle challenges to do. Doing that whole fight without taking a hit is going to take some doing.

Completing the boss battles under the time they ask you to do it in is pretty tricky. Some of battles have a way of speeding the fight up. Once you figure out what it is then you can really shave down your time.

The post game battle challenges took some doing. Not getting hit proved easy up until the last phase. At that point something always seemed to have gone wrong for me. I had to restart the thing lots of times.

I was on nearly two hours trying to get the challenges done on the final boss but I've finally finished them.

Spoiler

D2_p7ElUYAAWDdW?format=jpg&name=large

Doing a no hit run was pretty easy, it was the time limit that was the sticking point. I pretty much had to have a complete perfect run to achieve the time as I couldn't find any way to really speed up the fight. No doubt there will be an easier way to get under the time limit but with the game being so new there's no info out there yet.

I wanted a challenge out of this game and I eventually got one. :p 

That's all the boss challenges taken care of. Back to playing the levels over...and over...and over again. :D 

I've now managed to complete all of the Poochy Pup missions.

That took some doing. There's still a hell of a lot to get through. 

I never realised that costumes protect you from damage. I didn't figure this out until I was faffing on with the boss challenges. I thought they were just collectibles! :D 

UK Charts: Yoshi's Crafted World wins in close battle for No.1

Just 63 units separated No.1 and No.2.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-04-01-uk-charts-yoshis-crafted-world-wins-in-close-battle-for-no-1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first Switch exclusive game to hit No. 1 that isn't featuring/starring Mario? The others being (I think) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis Aces, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

Just now, Tim B said:

UK Charts: Yoshi's Crafted World wins in close battle for No.1

Just 63 units separated No.1 and No.2.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-04-01-uk-charts-yoshis-crafted-world-wins-in-close-battle-for-no-1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first Switch exclusive game to hit No. 1 that isn't featuring/starring Mario? The others being (I think) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis Aces, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

Did Breath of the Wild not top the UK charts when it was released?

It is done.

D3LhO4JV4AA6RJg?format=jpg&name=large

693! That's how many flowers there are to collect in the game. Insane!

As for the reward for getting 100%....

Spoiler

D3LhTifUEAAplK-?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah, totally not worth it. :p 

I was quite negative when I first finished the game but going for the 100% helped me appreciate certain things more. Doing the boss challenges is when the game clicked for me and from that point on it had its hooks in me.

The game still has issues. The soundtrack is so bad, especially by Nintendo's standards. Also, collecting the craft pieces could have been handled in a much better way. It would have been far better to either get all of the missions at once or the game should count any objects you hit that will be in a future mission.

I still think Woolly World is the superior game but I did end up enjoying this more than I thought I would.

I look forward to seeing how many hours I've put into this. It's got to be close to 30.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm not usually one for platformers but I'm finding this tough enough at times trying to 100% it. That Go Go Yoshi stage was infuriating.

2 minutes ago, Kaxxx said:

I'm not usually one for platformers but I'm finding this tough enough at times trying to 100% it. That Go Go Yoshi stage was infuriating.

Despite being an early level, that's probably one of the toughest standard stages to get 100% on. The score needed to get all the flowers is quite high. Cocking up once may be enough for you to lose out on getting the score needed.

Yeah, I got it finally along with the pups stage, was tough but rewarding I thoughtlt.....in the end. Never played much of Yoshi games since the N64 but really liking it. 

I'm coming towards the end of the main game now, I think. Might try and get it done by the end of the afternoon as CEX are offering £32 cash for trade-in and I'd really like to catch that before it comes down. Not bothered about collecting everything and sometimes I complete a level wondering how the F I missed some things...

Wish I'd played Yoshi's Woolly World now.

I should add, the level design and art direction are both top notch. This really feels like a high quality product full of that Nintendo magic.

Sure, it's not the biggest game in the world but there is 30 hours of content here for those wishing to 100% it.

This game feels like the most suitable platformer for children on the Switch, as it's less complicated than Super Mario Odyssey and less difficult than New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

Edited by Tim B
Forgot something

It took a little while but I've been back to Yoshi's Crafted World recently and cleared the game this afternoon.

When I started it last year, I liked it well enough but was a little torn on what way to tackle the game.

Playing through a level while ignoring the collectables would be, like @Hero of Time said, far too short and easy but then I always found myself missing just a single red coin and feeling like I didn't want to be going through the stage again to see if I missed an invisible winged cloud or something :hmm:

Upon my return in recent weeks, I decided I was happy enough to go through each course, collecting as much as I could and moving on. If I ever wish to return to the game, either alone or with my wife or son, there's plenty to return to :smile:

What I uncovered was a wonderful game that I would probably have loved to take the time to explore and unlock everything in my younger days but one that I find myself struggling to want to commit the time to in 2020.

It's a shame because there is so much to like about the game, including the variety and beautiful designs of the stages throughout, and it makes me wish I had all the time in the world to kick back and fully appreciate it.

For me, with Woolly Word and Crafted World (Dare I even throw Yoshi's Fruit Cart in..? :grin: ), Yoshi games are better than they've ever been :hehe:

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where do you stand when it comes to the newest Yoshi games, @nekunando? Are you Team Woolly or Team Crafty?

Personally, I preferred Woolly World but I still enjoyed this game. I just thought Woolly World had less padding, flowed better and the soundtrack was miles ahead of what was on offer here.

I think the newer Yoshi games are better than Yoshi's Island in terms of getting collectibles/100%. I always hated that you had to do a perfect run in each stage in order to unlock everything. At least with the newer games if you miss something then that's all you need to find on your next run. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Where do you stand when it comes to the newest Yoshi games, @nekunando? Are you Team Woolly or Team Crafty?

The real question is which Yoshi is more adorable?

And there's only one correct answer.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Personally, I preferred Woolly World but I still enjoyed this game. I just thought Woolly World had less padding, flowed better and the soundtrack was miles ahead of what was on offer here.

I think the newer Yoshi games are better than Yoshi's Island in terms of getting collectibles/100%. I always hated that you had to do a perfect run in each stage in order to unlock everything. At least with the newer games if you miss something then that's all you need to find on your next run. 

It's been a good few years since I played Woolly World but I'd say it probably has the edge :smile: Having said that, it's probably a lot closer than I anticipated when I first dipped into Crafted World!

I really liked playing Woolly World with the Wii Remote and using the tilt to aim the eggs :heart:

I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of the original Yoshi's Island, despite playing through it twice!

Edited by nekunando
  • Thanks 1

I downloaded this over Christmas but it has just sat on my Switch home screen waiting to be played. 

It's there for when I have got through other stuff but Pokémon is taking up all my gaming time at the moment and I'm fine with that. 

Sign in to follow this