NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Yoshi's Crafted World (2019 - Switch)

3 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

But how can you like Ash? He is "ResetEra, the person". Unsubscribed from the podcast because I couldn't stand him.

Also, Derrick's Christams videos with his Gran are the sweetest content available on YouTube. You have no soul. Of all of the them, Derrick clearly has the most love for Nintendo games, I would have thought that would be right up your street? :D Each to their own I guess. 

I'm sure he's a nice guy, I just find his voice and mannerisms annoying.

It looks like a pretty solid successor to Woolly World, which was a pretty solid game.

Just like Woolly World, it looks very slow, chill and not very action focused. The level design philosophy looks extremely similar, and the foreground/background mechanics are a natural evolution that befit the collection/find the hidden object gameplay of Woolly World to a tee.

That's not a bad thing really, but I reckon that some who are looking for something faster paced and more action packed than Woolly World will be disappointed. For those that enjoyed Woolly World, it's going to feel very familiar and it'll surely be a great chill game!

The game looks a lot more polished than the old demo now. The delay has done it a world of good! That being said, the visuals are a bit disappointing in that it really isn't much of an upgrade over Woolly World at all (It also looks like it's running in 720p/900p, definitely not 1080p - the 3D elements look very soft compared to the HUD). I'm not convinced that Good Feel made the right choice in switching from their bespoke Wii U engine (which looked and ran very well on Wii U) to UE4; it doesn't really feel like it has paid off. It's still great looking mind you, but its not much of a jump from Woolly World and I get the feeling that they would've been better off building on top of their existing Woolly World engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well. Bye bye January Direct... but good to see that the game is finally coming out.

Damn.  Guess they couldn't get the Direct done in time after all :( 

Ahh well, at least we have a release date; and it lands exactly when I thought it would.  The very last moment of the financial year.

That probably means that it's coming in hot and might either be incomplete, or buggy... Not a good sign...

Edited by Dcubed

I played through the demo this evening.

DzYnzsBU0AAyx_c?format=jpg&name=large

Its quite a relaxing affair. It seems to be a standard Yoshi adventure in that there are Flowers, Hearts and Red Coins to collect. There are also missions to complete. The one in the demo has you hitting 5 cows with your eggs. :D 

The reverse course is you rushing through the stage in order to find 3 Poochie pups. This is a bit of a callback to Woolly World on the 3DS.

I tried both handheld and TV mode and I gotta say that handheld mode is pretty rough in comparison. It seems very blurry and I could be wrong but I swear it doesn't run as smooth either. Shame. Given all the time it's had in development I expected it to be a bit better in off screen mode. 

Despite that issue I'll still be there day 1. I loved Woolly World and I do enjoy my cute and colourful platformers, especially when there's plenty of things to hunt down and collect.

• Like 3

Surprised to see this is running on Unreal Engine 4! Is that a first for a Nintendo first party game?

Does Good-Feel count as first party? But yeah, pretty surprising. I can't see the actual EPD teams ever using it though

Played the demo this weekend. The game just looks so charming and great, a great new art direction that makes a lot of sense coming from Woolly World. The fact that you can play a stage in reverse is a nice little twist. But the demo level was just too easy, plus I don't think it controls great, especially if you have to aim at stuff in the background or foreground. With the backlog in my mind and other games that are coming, I think I will leave this for the time being. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess my eyes didn't deceive me when I thought it looked worse in handheld mode. That resolution is pretty rough. Given that the game has just been sat waiting for release ( apparently it was finished late last year ) I'm surprised that it hasn't been polished up some more and the resolution been given a bump. 

• Sad 1

Disgustingly low resolution! Good Feel made a huge mistake abandoning their own HD engine with Wooly World in favour of UE4.

I just finished watching that video, I still intend to get the game when it comes out but... why couldn't it have been released earlier? :hmm:

If this had been out in the second or third week of March then I likely would have played it with my brother when he's hopefully coming down as it looks like a good co-op game.

Ah well, plenty of other good co-op stuff to play so it's no big deal but it just looks like this game was finished ages ago so could have been released earlier perhaps.

Maybe it's intentionally as close to April as possible? End of one financial year, start of the next... that's probably it.

Anyway, I'm still kind of looking forward to it.

6 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Ah well, plenty of other good co-op stuff to play so it's no big deal but it just looks like this game was finished ages ago so could have been released earlier perhaps.

Maybe it's intentionally as close to April as possible? End of one financial year, start of the next... that's probably it.

Rumours were that is was finished late last year and Nintendo have just been sitting on it, which is exactly what happened with Tropical Freeze.

The first half of this year has been very rough in terms of new 1st party releases. I'm excited for what the second half of the year will bring but i'd much rather Nintendo spread their titles out throughout the year instead of dropping them all on us in a short period of time. They've been doing it for years and I find it pretty annoying. Remember when they dropped both A Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D World within a week of each other? It was nuts. It was even worse for US gamers as they got them both on the same day.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Rumours were that is was finished late last year and Nintendo have just been sitting on it, which is exactly what happened with Tropical Freeze.

The first half of this year has been very rough in terms of new 1st party releases. I'm excited for what the second half of the year will bring but i'd much rather Nintendo spread their titles out throughout the year instead of dropping them all on us in a short period of time. They've been doing it for years and I find it pretty annoying. Remember when they dropped both A Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D World within a week of each other? It was nuts. It was even worse for US gamers as they got them both on the same day.

I agree with you, but I also remember most people on here saying Nintendo should have had Mario Odyssey and BOTW ready for the Switch's launch. Loads agreed that two big hitters on the same day was better for them than spacing them out. Obviously that turned out not to be true, and that still applies here I think, like you say.

I think there's a few big third party games releasing in Q2 for the Switch, so maybe that's one reason they're pushing most things towards the second half of the year. Or they wanted to get Mario Maker and Fire Emblem earlier than June/July but they just needed more time.

Fire Emblem clearly got pushed back. I imagine Nintendo wanted that as their April/May game, especially as they still had it down as a Spring release in their earnings report the other week.

I guess the original plan was Mario U DX in January, Yoshi in March, Fire Emblem in April/May and Mario Maker in June. Then things like Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon and Zelda in the second half. That seems pretty spread out if Fire Emblem hadn't gotten pushed, but from what I saw that game needs as much work as possible, it looked a bit rough in places.

I've pre-ordered it via ShopTo for £39.85, which seems like the best deal. It also comes with a Yoshi egg cartridge case. Woohoo! Free stuff!

Does anyone know if ShopTo are one of the companies that like to send things out early?

2 minutes ago, Tim B said:

I've pre-ordered it via ShopTo for £39.85, which seems like the best deal. It also comes with a Yoshi egg cartridge case. Woohoo! Free stuff!

Does anyone know if ShopTo are one of the companies that like to send things out early?

Yeah, you should get it on the Wednesday or Thursday. Although they have been known for being slower when free gift is involved. I guess it slows up their packing process.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I tried the demo a couple of weeks ago and to be frank, I disliked it quite much. It just didn't seem fun, and having to repeat the levels to collect arbitrary stuff for some robot, and also perhaps repeat the levels to collect stuff you may have missed (red coins and flowers) just seemed tedious. Doing the levels flipped was alright, though, especially as there is a time limit.

However, I've got the full game now and played it for two hours straight yesterday, and actually, it's much better than the demo had me believe. It seems a bit more fast-paced that Woolly World (which was a bit on the slow side), and while it still isn't difficult at all, getting all flowers and red coins on each level can provide some challenge. The levels seem varied enough and there are lots of them, it seems.

I decided to skip doing the robot missions to find stuff but may return to do those later so I don't play the same level back to back three times.

Well. Up to now, my conclusion is that this is better than Woolly World so far.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tim B said:

Woooow, how did you get the full game already?

Review.

On 15/03/2019 at 9:08 AM, MindFreak said:

However, I've got the full game now and played it for two hours straight yesterday, and actually, it's much better than the demo had me believe. It seems a bit more fast-paced that Woolly World (which was a bit on the slow side), and while it still isn't difficult at all, getting all flowers and red coins on each level can provide some challenge. The levels seem varied enough and there are lots of them, it seems.

How's the soundtrack? Seems to be an area that's inferior to Woolly World.

Also, is the music at the beginning of this trailer in the game?

That groove is slick! :yay: Has got to be the work of Kazumi Totaka. :bouncy:

Anyway, I wasn't so impressed with the demo version. There's also something about the look of this game that doesn't quite sit right with me. :hmm: It's difficult to pinpoint, but I think it's the lighting. The game obviously has a cute and colourful style, yet somehow it appears kind of dark at times or too contrasty. :confused:

Sign in to follow this