NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Rocket League (Switch)

First hands on

That beauty remains on Nintendo Switch. I first played the game on PC, and naturally that version was more graphically impressive than the Switch version. However, the team made the right choice to prioritize 60 FPS, so the game runs nice and smooth even in handheld mode. The developers behind this port, Panic Button, are also responsible for the miracle that is Doom on Switch. You can’t blame poor technical performance for your loss, only your own poor performance. And the game’s visuals are still plenty bright and cheery and explosive shrunk down on the handheld screen.

• Like 2

Confirmed release date of November the 14th...that's two weeks away! 

November shaping up to be a huge month; this, Doom, Skyrim and LA Noire, and no first party games in sight :p

Ok, they may all be ports, but I haven't played any of them myself even owning a 360 and One, so colour me excited :)

• Like 1

So who's getting this and barring any EA style gimp-up let's get some games organised!! Have it on PS4, loved it, but never played it because PS4, so looking forward getting back on it

9 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

So who's getting this and barring any EA style gimp-up let's get some games organised!! Have it on PS4, loved it, but never played it because PS4, so looking forward getting back on it

We can spam our what's app thread with game invites because I'll be day one for this!

• Like 1

I'm gonna day one this for sure! Got it on Steam around Xmas, put in a decent amount of hours but once it was rumoured for the Switch I stopped playing. Such an incredible game, and N-E nights should really be great fun.

2 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

We can spam our what's app thread with game invites because I'll be day one for this!

Please don't.. I don't think I'm getting it :red:

2 hours ago, dazzybee said:

Day One, so if anyone is around when I'm on, let's do it.

• Like 1

Cool, that's fast already! Will probably get this as well, so would be nice to play some games with fellow NE people!

The game is now out and some impressions on Era are starting to come out.

The game runs at 720p  in docked mode but only 576p in handheld mode, making the game look pretty blurry. Gotta say,  visually the game looks pretty rough even in docked mode.

The developers spoke out about it and said that the main focus was to have the game run at 60fps, which they have achieved at the cost of lowering the resolution.

Private online matches are in but you can't play with friends and then jump into matchmaking with random players. They are looking into patching this in at some point.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The game runs at 720p  in docked mode but only 576p in handheld mode, making the game look pretty blurry. Gotta say,  visually the game looks pretty rough even in docked mode.

Same with Doom. On their own the games look kinda fine but compared to the other versions they look pretty bad. But it's 60fps so that's cool.

Private online matches are in but you can't play with friends and then jump into matchmaking with random players.

How this is not available in the game at release is beyond me. It's basically the reason to play the game. Match-up with friends and play against randoms...they better patch it in a couple of days after release...

My first ever play of Rocket League...bloody addictive! 

Graphics do take a hit here and there, but runs so smoothly.

A great addition to the Switch line up and I can't wait to be able to play this on the go as well, I had been ploughing through divisions on FIFA, up to div 2...might not get a look in now I don't think!

Just bought it through the Nintendo website since I still had some credit on my account, so it should have been downloaded to my Switch tonight when I get home. Feels modern to buy a game like this haha. Can't wait to give it a go, never played it before but looks fun as hell!

Haven't been able to check that, I don't think you can though, no.

The game takes a massive graphical hit in handheld mode, looks quite ropey, and the ball even has an outline around it alá Smash Bros 3DS...

Still, funnily enough I was thinking about Perfect Dark on the N64 today, and how four player multiplayer Vs a team of bots used to be hell on earth, you'd have to factor in the slow down to your aiming and movements! 

Thankfully this loses nothing performance wise in hand held mode.

What a great game. Don’t understand flying through the air at all... had s game and for batter 14-1 (I was with a player called @Cube wasn’t you was it?) and the level of control they had was ridiculous. Also raised a really annoying thing - matchmaking. Two rookies next to a veteran and an all star... hmmm... annoying. Still great fun. 

Weird the game you can create a lobby from the main menu but then not search for a game... does anyone know if you can join a friend’s game?

Need to get 4/6 of us together for some games. 

8 hours ago, dazzybee said:

What a great game. Don’t understand flying through the air at all... had s game and for batter 14-1 (I was with a player called @Cube wasn’t you was it?) and the level of control they had was ridiculous. Also raised a really annoying thing - matchmaking. Two rookies next to a veteran and an all star... hmmm... annoying. Still great fun. 

Weird the game you can create a lobby from the main menu but then not search for a game... does anyone know if you can join a friend’s game?

Need to get 4/6 of us together for some games. 

Yeah also played some games yesterday, as expected great fun! Never played RL before so I started with the tutorial. Decided to go online after that and saw @Nicktendoonline as well. Sent him an invite and moments later we were in a team playing matches! @dazzybeeI think the host of the party can search for games (so invite people from the main menu and then the host player can search).

Matchmaking is bad indeed. Played some games with rookie and semi-pros, which was equally matched. But also got slaughtered 14-1 against some killer team. Guess it should get better when more newbies pick up the game and start playing.

Graphics are mediocre in handheld (haven't tried TV mode yet). But as soon as a match starts and things get moving I quickly look past it.

Hang on. So you CAN search for games on a party? @Hero-of-Time where did you hear you couldn’t and why are psyonix saying they’ll patch it in when it already is? Very confusing 🤣 But who cares, amazing news. Game tonight?!?

Just now, dazzybee said:

Hang on. So you CAN search for games on a party? @Hero-of-Time where did you hear you couldn’t and why are psyonix saying they’ll patch it in when it already is? Very confusing 🤣 But who cares, amazing news. Game tonight?!?

Peeps over on Era who were playing it.

For you guys getting matched up with higher ranked players, have you tried disabling the cross play feature? There's a good chance you are getting paired up with people who have been playing this for a long time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

For you guys getting matched up with higher ranked players, have you tried disabling the cross play feature?

That's what I've done and what I suggest everyone who's new to Rocket League should do. It is harder to find a game, and the AI does end up appearing more often, but at least you're not going to get slaughtered by someone who's put 100s of hours into the game already.

Graphics are baaaad in this game. Like really bad, but it was worth the sacrifice for that silky smooth 60fps. Here's hoping they can make incremental improvements over time. Love having this on Switch, was always such a pain to be tied to my PC and uncomfortable chair :D

I'm gonna end up sinking hours into this. Getting together with friends and playing is pretty streamlined in all honesty, and matchmaking only seems marginally slower that the version I played on Steam. No complaints about this aspect, it's proper Rocket League, just without the glamour of the other versions. Rocket League 64 (seriously, it's that ugly at times).

I presume you’re playing in handheld? This kind of stuff clearly doesn’t bother me because I’ve played doom and this on PS4 and both seem absolutely fine on switch to me, guess I just don’t care too much about that for these games. 

Just now, dazzybee said:

I presume you’re playing in handheld? This kind of stuff clearly doesn’t bother me because I’ve played doom and this on PS4 and both seem absolutely fine on switch to me, guess I just don’t care too much about that for these games. 

I've asked about the matchmaking in the Era thread and a guy replied saying that you can play with your mates. Scroll to the bottom.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rocket-league-switch-release-and-impressions-thread.5853/page-19

4 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

I've played in both, and both are ugly as sin. For comparison sakes I have a 2 year old laptop with a GTX950 in it and I play at 720p, medium settings. For me, the difference is night and day. Complaints about the text not being readable are also valid. The aliasing is jarring. I really hope they plan on touching up the visuals a bit.

Sign in to follow this