NEurope
Cube

Metroid Prime 4 (Switch)

7 hours ago, Hogge said:

Yeah, my intention wasn't to start a debate on drought or nought (lol), but express my curiosity of just how much of a train wreck the canceled MP4 version must've been.

I heard all they had to show was an HD render of a mine cart.

• Haha 3

Hmm, if they are looking for an art director, I think the game is still a looooong way away:

• Like 1

Between this getting restarted from scratch and Retro's general lack of anything in 5-6 years it seems like a big waste of resources. Credit to Nintendo for not shipping subpar games though, especially in a franchise that's kind of on thin ice.

• Like 1

But then again:

"And lastly, Mr. Tanabe I can't not ask you about a certain other project you're working on - Metroid Prime 4. We haven't seen anything of it at all this E3. Do you have an update for fans waiting patiently for it?

Tanabe: I shouldn't say, it's a little tricky... To be completely honest, at this E3 I just want people to pay attention to Luigi. If I mention something about Metroid Prime 4, people will focus on that. But when the time comes, I am so ready to talk about it!"

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-18-luigis-mansion-3-developers-talk-cut-ideas-labo-and-birdo

So it seems that they could have shown something this year had they chosen to.

What does an art director do that impacts gameplay? Isn't it more stuff like how the world looks that can be changed within a few weeks and doesn¨t affect the gameplay?

3 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

But then again:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-18-luigis-mansion-3-developers-talk-cut-ideas-labo-and-birdo

So it seems that they could have shown something this year had they chosen to.

What does an art director do that impacts gameplay? Isn't it more stuff like how the world looks that can be changed within a few weeks and doesn¨t affect the gameplay?

If i'm not mistaken, the art director is responsible for a game's visual aesthetic, which is pretty major. It's him/her who decides the exact brand of creepy/serious/realistic/wacky a game is going for. Consequently, how well an animation or model gels with the gameplay, if only aesthetically.

For example, in Fire Emblem Awakening, it was the art director, not the artist, who decided that Armour Knights should have enormous shoulders and cavaliers should have toilet helmets. These decisions easily take me out of the game, since they're so ludicrous. Metroid depends a lot in aesthetic to be memorable.

If they haven't settled on an art director yet, then MP4 is very far away. Might be they worked on the gameplay engine and level structure first, then want to build a world around that... But it's still a big chunk of the game.

If they have worked on modelling the environments first then that would constitute some progress, especially if Nintendo wants to make sure the gameplay foundation is there before anything else. If that's the case they are probably on Retro's computers as massive grey shaped objects with no detail.

A game like this probably isn't going to be out until 2022 at least anyway. Nintendo wanted to focus on things coming up this year and next year, Metroid Prime 4 was scrapped entirely and restarted again so I think that's why they didn't show anything.

• Thanks 1

We need to bury this thread for our own sake. There's won't be any substantial news for at least a year. :cry:

• Like 1

So I'm not saying that this is a sign that we'll see the game this year...

...but I'm also not saying that it's not a sign that we'll see the game this year :p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

So I'm not saying that this is a sign that we'll see the game this year...

...but I'm also not saying that it's not a sign that we'll see the game this year :p

I love how everyone on Twitter is going crazy from this!

3 hours ago, Kav said:

I despair at the thought that people are going crazy over something so trivial.

I want more Metroid Prime, man, but there's plenty of other games to tide me over.

27 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I despair at the thought that people are going crazy over something so trivial.

I want more Metroid Prime, man, but there's plenty of other games to tide me over.

People have been waiting for news about this game for nearly 5 years, it's ok to be excited that it's finally happening.

Just now, Ronnie said:

People have been waiting for news about this game for nearly 5 years, it's ok to be excited that it's finally happening.

Not when it confirms absolutely nothing!

Just now, Glen-i said:

Not when it confirms absolutely nothing!

It's not supposed to confirm anything. It's a tease that news is coming soon. It's ok to be excited about that.

44 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It's not supposed to confirm anything. It's a tease that news is coming soon. It's ok to be excited about that.

It's not though? At most, it's a tease of some artwork existing.

8 hours ago, Kav said:

People also went nuts when Retro Studios posted about BBQ and started theorizing that it was Metroid Prime (rib) related. People be crazy. :D 

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

...but there's plenty of other games to tide me over.

Indeed. Although it is easy for me to take this stance as I'm not huge on the Prime series. 

• Haha 1

But what does it MEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN??????????????????

Looking forward to the 10 hour long Gamexplain dissection video.

• Haha 2

It means that they just felt it was time for a new banner, and this is the project they are working on.