NEurope
Cube

Metroid Prime 4 (Switch)

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Only Breath of the Wild as far as Zelda goes. And I can't think of any other Nintendo game that has done the same thing, but I'm not gonna state that as absolute fact in the fear of someone proving me wrong.

You really did expect me to be a pedant didn’t you? ;) 

But what the hell, here’s THREE cross-gen non-Zelda Nintendo games...

417VexRZQ+L._SX466_.jpg

Animal Crossing

DOSHIN+2.jpg

Doshin the Giant

1ljeVld_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue Rescue Team

The last one is so obvious that I just had to make this post.  FOR SHAME @Glen-i!!!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

You really did expect me to be a pedant didn’t you? ;) 

But what the hell, here’s THREE cross-gen non-Zelda Nintendo games...

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue Rescue Team

How the living eff did I forget that one!?

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

How the living eff did I forget that one!?

Well, I don’t count red and blue rescue team as the exact same game, so maybe you shouldn’t either. Just hide behind that argument ;)

Edited by markderoos
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Massive respect to Nintendo for coming out an saying this, the reaction has been great too. I honestly don’t mind waiting if it’s going to be a fantastic game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm assuming that this Prime 4 will keep the same story as the nixed game? Not that we know anything about it other than Sylux is supposed to be the main part of the story.

1 hour ago, FalcoLombardi said:

I'm assuming that this Prime 4 will keep the same story as the nixed game? Not that we know anything about it other than Sylux is supposed to be the main part of the story.

Probably, I highly doubt that Retro themselves will write the script. It'll be that guy who manages Metroid whose name I can't remember.

I've also heard murmurs that Metroid Prime Trilogy: Switch Version has been finished for a while and that other Metroid games are in development. I think it was the same guy who tweeted out the info about multiple development teams working on MP4.

Maybe that's why they delayed the Trilogy. Maybe they want to release it a little bit closer to when MP4 releases, so maybe next year. Having one type of Metroid experience a year until their big hitter Metroid Prime 4 comes out would be a good move considering the state of the franchise. The Metroid: Samus Returns was a good start! (haven't played it yet though :laughing:)

Edited by Fused King

On 25/01/2019 at 1:59 PM, Dcubed said:

One more thing I think we can say with certainty too.

Metroid Prime 4 will not release on the current iteration of Switch.

With development restarting this late, there’s no way that it’ll arrive before the current Switch gets succeeded.

Not necessarily, the Switch is not even 2 years old. I think it will definitely be released in the last few years of the Switch's life, maybe its swan song with a port released for the successor to the Switch.

Wii U was not chucked in the bin until after 4 years, I imagine the Switch will have similar lifespan to PS4 and 3DS.

• Like 1

Wii U was not chucked in the bin until after 4 years,

Some of us chucked it binwards much earlier than that.
  • Haha 3

You know, I'm actually disappointed development is going back to Retro Studios. By Prime 3, I had the feeling that well of ideas was pretty much dry. I was looking forward to a new take on the franchise.

But then again, it's not like Retro are currently doing anything, either.

Edited by Jonnas

In 10 years, the well of ideas may have been filled again. After all, it was Retro themselves that pitched the idea of MP4 to Nintendo.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

In 10 years, the well of ideas may have been filled again. After all, it was Retro themselves that pitched the idea of MP4 to Nintendo.

Not only that but I imagine there will be new staff on board now, some of which will probably have new ways to freshen up the series.

The news didn't hit me that hard. I've never been a fan of the Prime games so i'm not too fussed about the delay.

This whole thing does kind of mirror the situation over at Square-Enix with the Final Fantasy VII remake. Both games were announced early, both were farmed out to other development studios, both games had to be scrapped and brought back in-house to be restarted. It's an eerie similar situation. The race is one to see which game comes out first. Final Fantasy has been in development longer but my money is still on Metroid. :p 

• Thanks 1

If Nintendo feels the current build was worth scrapping to get it up to their level of quality, and if Retro pitched an idea to Nintendo that they loved, then this is all welcome news to me. I really like how Nintendo has handeled this too. Their honesty is something we don't see that often in the gaming industry these days.

I am looking forward to this game more now, even though the wait will be longer. And I really hope we'll see what the hell Retro has been doing up until now... This really baffles me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm quite curious. I wonder how terrible the game must be if Nintendo decide to pull the plug on what would've been the big game of 2019. Heck, as far as we know, it was the only game to look forward to this year. IMO, if the game was just to be mediocre, they could've rebranded it from Metroid Prime 4 to some separate Metroid spinoff. Considering the Switch's ongoing software drought, a mediocre AAA exclusive is better than no AAA exclusive.

2 minutes ago, Hogge said:

Heck, as far as we know, it was the only game to look forward to this year.

2 minutes ago, Hogge said:

Considering the Switch's ongoing software drought, a mediocre AAA exclusive is better than no AAA exclusive.

The only game to look forward to? Switch's "ongoing software drought"? Are you being serious? We've got Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Town, Pokemon Gen 8, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Daemon X Machina and Pokemon Gen 8 coming this year. Plus more unnanounced stuff coming this year that Nintendo just teased overnight.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The only game to look forward to? Switch's "ongoing software drought"? Are you being serious? We've got Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Town, Pokemon Gen 8, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Daemon X Machina and Pokemon Gen 8 coming this year. Plus more unnanounced stuff coming this year that Nintendo just teased overnight.

I bet there are lots of people looking forward to Pokemon Gen 8 and Pokemon Gen 8. :p 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I bet there are lots of people looking forward to Pokemon Gen 8 and Pokemon Gen 8. :p 

To be fair there are usually two versions. :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

To be fair there are usually two versions. :D 

tenor.gif

:p 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Ronnie said:

Well, first off, my point wasn't "ermargerd Nintendo aren't making games", but more out of curiosity over how Nintendo could decide to scrap everything instead of releasing it as a stop-gap measure.

And second, I do think there's a drought. Ultimate and Let's Go came out in December, Yoshi comes out in March. That's four months of bloody nothing. And December was the only month last year when Nintendo brought the goods. Very few of the titles you mentioned hold a candle to what's coming for other systems. We can of course hope that Nintendo make a new Direct next week where they announce two or three new AAA-quality titles for this year, but I doubt it.

10 minutes ago, Hogge said:

Well, first off, my point wasn't "ermargerd Nintendo aren't making games", but more out of curiosity over how Nintendo could decide to scrap everything instead of releasing it as a stop-gap measure.

Because they value quality and protecting their brand? And because it wasn't ready to ship and probably had (at least) another year of development behind it, so why bother wasting that time on an inferior product?

Ultimate and Let's Go came out in December, Yoshi comes out in March. That's four months of bloody nothing.

You're right, absolutely nothing. And certainly not a 2D Mario game that ended up selling 25% more than on Wii U.

Very few of the titles you mentioned hold a candle to what's coming for other systems.

In your opinion.

Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion are my two most anticipated games this year.

So no, Metroid Prime 4 wasn't "the only game to look forward to", there's tons coming to Switch this year, that we know of, let alone what we don't.

Edited by Ronnie

Selling 25% more than a game on Nintendo's worst selling console is damning with feint praise 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Selling 25% more than a game on Nintendo's worst selling console is damning with feint praise
*faint

Stop being pedantic. The point is that there is no drought and games are coming out. They may not be to your taste all of them but neglecting them on that behalf is just plain ignorant. By that argument, all consoles experience long droughts. Getting an exclusive game for the Switch on average every second month is just fin, and yes, we had some ports this past year, and those of us that had a Wii U and played those games may perceive that as a drought but still not a software drought. 

There are lots of games coming out on the eShop, though many of those are of course ports of other games. Still, they are coming and you can't blame anyone that you don't pick them up on Switch (unless they are more expensive there). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bob said:
1 hour ago, Ashley said:
Selling 25% more than a game on Nintendo's worst selling console is damning with feint praise emoji39.png

*faint

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c549f87456543396b

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Stop being pedantic. The point is that there is no drought and games are coming out. They may not be to your taste all of them but neglecting them on that behalf is just plain ignorant. By that argument, all consoles experience long droughts. Getting an exclusive game for the Switch on average every second month is just fin, and yes, we had some ports this past year, and those of us that had a Wii U and played those games may perceive that as a drought but still not a software drought. 

There are lots of games coming out on the eShop, though many of those are of course ports of other games. Still, they are coming and you can't blame anyone that you don't pick them up on Switch (unless they are more expensive there). 

Yeah, my intention wasn't to start a debate on drought or nought (lol), but express my curiosity of just how much of a train wreck the canceled MP4 version must've been.