N-Europe

Metroid Prime 4 Beyond (Switch 2025)

Cube

This aint it fellas.
The gameplay and graphics are from a bygone era and it doesn't seem to have a clear identity, which isn't a surprise given all the development complications.

Prime remains in my top three games of all time, but I made my peace with the series after the disappointment of Corruption - very glad I didn't have any emotional investment in how the series would pan out!
Exactly how I feel. We have seen this all before, very little distinct identity or novelty to that trailer.
  • Like 1

Feel like it's a bit too early to judge it either way. They've basically only shown off the opening section of the game - whatever there is that is new and unique will surely be revealed in the next trailer 

To me visually it looks like a shinier version of what we saw in Prime Remastered (based on the trailers and the first few hours I spent with the game), but I do agree with @killthenet that it seems a little early to make the call on it. What we see in the trailer, for the most part, I'm guessing is the absolute start of the game, and from my limited time with Metroid games up to this point, it looks par for the course? 

There's still plenty of time to show off new mechanics and a greater sense of identity, but this trailer was to reintroduce Prime 4 after not hearing anything about it officially since they restarted development in 2019, and before that we only had that generic logo reveal from 2017. There seems to be a portal behind Samus in the stinger -- so maybe we're saying some type of space/time travel this time around? Which is a cool thing to tease but absolutely shouldn't be where you go with your first trailer for a game like this. 

Anyways, hadn't commented on it before, but so happy to see Sylux turn up here. I had a friend who played Hunters when we were younger on the playground back in primary school and I spent countless hours just staring at character trophies in Smash Bros. Brawl, just wondering what these characters were all like in games I didn't own/had no way to access, and Sylux just always looked really cool to me. 

Edited by Julius

I wonder what the sales expectations are for this? Metroid has never been a franchise that sells in an evergreen way, and with Retro Studios releasing sod all for a stupid amount of years, I imagine Nintendo are going to want a decent return on it.

1 minute ago, Julius said:

I had a friend who played Hunters when we were younger on the playground back in primary school and I spent countless hours just staring at character trophies in Smash Bros. Brawl, just wondering what these characters were all like in games I didn't own/had no way to access, and Sylux really caught my eye. 

Ah, Julius' daily reminder to most of us on here that we are old gits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I wonder what the sales expectations are for this? Metroid has never been a franchise that sells in an evergreen way, and with Retro Studios releasing sod all for a stupid amount of years, I imagine Nintendo are going to want a decent return on it.

Given how long it has been in development for, I can't imagine that the development budget is anything below $100 million at this point.

I imagine that it'll be another £60/$70 release to help offset some of that cost, so that'll help.

They're probably expecting something at least on par with Metroid Dread I'd imagine, so 3 million is likely the goal, but the actual break-even point is probably gonna be somewhere around the 2 million mark.  If it ends up being a cross-gen Switch 2 launch title? They should easily meet and surpass that goal... if it remains a Switch 1 exclusive though? That's gonna be tough...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1