NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)

25 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Never played SoTC, however i have far too many games to get through first before i even consider a purchase.

Been watching some previews of it, and it looks fantastic.  They've done an excellent job on remastering this.

I haven't watched anything and the original frustrated me at times.. but anyway.. :grin:

Didn't realise this was out so soon! I was hesitant when it was first announced as I thought it looked a bit bland and generic but I'm happy to admit that I was wrong. Watching that DF analysis and the Easy Allies review have got me really excited to play this again, really glad it's garnered such glowing reviews.

• Thanks 1

Just started playing this, know pretty much nothing about it (never played the original) and I already appear to be fighting the final boss! :heh: Awesome.

• Haha 3

I haven't been into town today to pick up my copy of the game but I'll collect it before work tomorrow afternoon. Not sure when I'll play it, though :red:

Up to the 3rd colossi.  What an amazing remake! While the look is still a bit “off”, lacking the hazy and ethereal look of Team Ueda’s games (and none of the filters quite match the original look), it is otherwise a brilliantly faithful remake that includes some subtle, but noticeable control tweaks that make the gameplay that much more responsive, while maintaining the weighty and realistic feel that defined the original experience!

Only thing I have to question though is why they felt the need to redub Dormin.  Not quite sure why they changed the voice there (not that the new one is bad or anything, it just strikes me as an odd change when they’ve just reused the rest of the dialogue as it was in the original :heh:).  Also the map opening animation isn’t as cool as the original sadly.

Otherwise it’s great stuff! They haven’t really messed with the original experience! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

I remember the Crash trilogy developers saying they rerecorded sound effects because the sound quality in the originals wasn't good enough for the remakes. Probably the same thing here. If you update the visuals and the music, you're going to have to redo the sound effects too to avoid a jarring experience.

8 hours ago, dwarf said:

I remember the Crash trilogy developers saying they rerecorded sound effects because the sound quality in the originals wasn't good enough for the remakes. Probably the same thing here. If you update the visuals and the music, you're going to have to redo the sound effects too to avoid a jarring experience.

Could be, but they already remastered the audio for the PS3 release and aside from the intro and ending music (which were re-recorded with some additional instrumentation for this PS4 remake), as well as Dormin's voice (which has changed quite dramatically), the rest of the audio has just been re-used from the PS3 re-release.  So it still strikes me as a strange change. 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Just did the 5th colossi, daaaaaaaamn! That was ridiculously exhilarating!! :o

Spoiler

Jumping on its wings at the last second and then trying to stay on as it flew about was so much fun. :D 

Man, obviously the game didn’t look anything like this on PS2, but even so it must have been mind-blowing back in the day. :cool: Loving it. :) 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Just did the 5th colossi, daaaaaaaamn! That was ridiculously exhilarating!! :o

5th (Hide contents)

Jumping on its wings at the last second and then trying to stay on as it flew about was so much fun. :D 

Man, obviously the game didn’t look anything like this on PS2, but even so it must have been mind-blowing back in the day. :cool: Loving it. :) 

Oh yeah, it absolutely was!

I first played it on PS2 around 2007-2008 and was absolutely blown away!

You're at the same point I am now on the PS4 version BTW! And yes, that colossi is just breathtaking! (Would you believe that they get even more amazing? You had better do, because they do!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Just defeated number 14...

Spoiler

Not such a fan of these smaller/faster colossi though, they're kind of annoying and ultimately less satisfying to fight. :hmm:

The 5th one remains my favourite... so far, hopefully the last two will be cool. Don't think anything is going to top the 13th as far as comedy goes though... :hehe:

Spoiler

Shadow of the Colossal Buffoon! :D

...Poor Agro. :laughing:

• Haha 4

One of the greatest games I've ever played. Personally I think it's the best game I've ever played on PS2 and they've done a great job upgrading the graphics on PS4.

Controls take a bit of getting used to but once you do it's one of the most individual and strikingly stylistic games out there. It's like Dark Souls.... no no no, I'm not talking about the difficulty but more so the atmosphere (and the fact that the graphical styles are similar)

Finished this last night. The ending was absolutely bonkers, didn’t see any of that coming. :hehe: But yeah, very glad I finally got to check out the game, it’s certainly a pretty unique experience. I enjoyed the slight puzzle element of figuring out exactly how to tackle each colossi (a few of them actually took me a while to work out :blush:) and the gameplay was for the most part very good, although at times it did feel like I was also fighting the camera a bit.

Looking forward to doing another playthrough at some point, quite tempted to have a go at the hard mode speedrun trophy too.

• Thanks 1

The snow today gave me the perfect opportunity to finish up.  What can i say, it's certainly a unique experience to say the least.  Some of the colossi were challenging at times, and each was unique to tackle and take down.  Camera was awkward at times, but other than that i enjoyed this game.

I can certainly see why people praise this game that's for sure

I'm watching @Eenuh play this whilst I watch the Arsenal/City game. The game looks fantastic. I loooove the style of games that Team Ico create and I'm sad that this will be the last one that I'll play and that there's no more after this. It's very minimalist, but it works so, so well. Not sure which of the three will be my personal favourite when I start and finish this game.

Dusted off my PS4 and started this last night having never played the original. What a STUNNING game, even if all the colour seems to have been sucked out of it. That's part of the charm I guess. One of the most technically impressive and beautiful games I own on PS4.

I've done 3 colossi, and they were very impressive looking, the third one especially.

Such a shame the controls are a nightmare, feels like I'm wrestling with them at the same time as wrestling with a colossus.

Still loving it so far though

Edited by Ronnie

36 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Dusted off my PS4 and started this last night having never played the original. What a STUNNING game, even if all the colour seems to have been sucked out of it. That's part of the charm I guess. One of the most technically impressive and beautiful games I own on PS4.

Did 3 colossi, and they were very impressive looking, the third one especially.

Such a shame the controls are a nightmare, feels like I'm wrestling with them at the same time as wrestling with a colossus.

Still though, loving it so far

I can't really get a chance to get near it yet :hmm:

I got a quick taste a couple of weeks ago (only up to the first Colossus) but getting the perfect combination of free time and access to the living room TV is proving difficult and when I do get a chance I have so many different things to play that this is having to wait!

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Still loving it so far though

In terms of controlling Wander and Argo, try and think of it as the characters having weight to their movements. Like real life, actions aren’t instantaneous. 

Though I do agree, wrestling is a apt way of putting it. Glad you’re enjoying the game regardless though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I kind of get the control complaint. It stopped me from doing anything but the first Colossus in the PS3 port. I picked the remake up because of all the work Bluepoint put in and I completed the whole thing in a few days.

My only complaint now is how awful the horse is to control at points.

Everything else was sublime.

Except the last boss when the controls became an issue again and kind of really soured the moment.

So, I got over the controls, learned to kind of enjoy them. And then there were points where they just got in the way again and it was incredibly annoying.

Edited by Daft
  • Thanks 1

This is easily one of the most stunning games I've ever played but it also makes me want to throw the controller through the tv. The controls are simply awful. Horseback traversal is PAINFUL, the way it slows down at time for no good reason. Why does your character take two minutes to stand back up after being knocked to ground. It's lots of little things like that that make you feel as though you're wrestling with the game, not just the colossus. 

Anyway, apart from all that, it's really terrific. About to do the final one… (having had to start all the way back at the shrine, twice, because I didn't realise you needed Argo to leap that gap getting to it. It's like playing Zelda II again.

Edit: Somehow fell down the chasm because of crappy controls. Now I start all the way back at the shrine once again. Another 5 minutes to waste getting back there. Joy.

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

This is easily one of the most stunning games I've ever played but it also makes me want to throw the controller through the tv. The controls are simply awful. Horseback traversal is PAINFUL, the way it slows down at time for no good reason. Why does your character take two minutes to stand back up after being knocked to ground. It's lots of little things like that that make you feel as though you're wrestling with the game, not just the colossus. 

Anyway, apart from all that, it's really terrific. About to do the final one… (having had to start all the way back at the shrine, twice, because I didn't realise you needed Argo to leap that gap getting to it. It's like playing Zelda II again.

Edit: Somehow fell down the chasm because of crappy controls. Now I start all the way back at the shrine once again. Another 5 minutes to waste getting back there. Joy.

You know you can call Argo right? I think it's the triangle button that calls him.

Edit 2: Also, by shrine, do you mean the main temple in the middle of the map? Because if you have been praying at the small shrines dotted around, you will restart at the last one you prayed at if you died. There should be one close to the last colossi as well I think. Bit late now I guess!

Edit:
I played this game recently as well, and really enjoyed it. It looks lovely! There isn't much to do in terms of gameplay other than fighting the colossi, but then I guess fighting them is usually a combination of puzzle + action, so that's alright. The controls can be annoying, but for some reason it annoyed me less than it did in The Last Guardian. Maybe I knew what to expect with this one. :p

Also, I imagine the horse controls are done that way because a real horse wouldn't handle smoothly. I got used to the horseback controls near the end of the game.

Lovely game, though not sure I'll play it again soon to get the extra stuff. Got too many other games to still get through! :)

Edited by Eenuh

Having ridden horses plenty in my life, a well trained horse can be controlled just by the pressure from your legs. Agro just controls poorly, lots of oversteer and understeer for no reason and poor pathing. They’ll follow a beaten trail prettt much by themselves at full tilt. 

Something like Red Dead Redemption or Breath of the Wild is a bit closer to actually riding. 

Complaining about how long it takes Wander to get up is silly though. I get that it’s annoying but  going back to personal experience coming off a horse you don’t just always bounce back up. There’s a time period where you’re breathing and gathering your bearings before you even try and move. 

• Thanks 1

I'm not exactly sure how to find the colussuses? The first one was easy, it was straight in front of you, but I can't find the second one.

I thought you're supposed to hold your sword in the air, but it just glows...? Went to the edge of the map because they said the next one lives in a cave by the sea, but can't see anything obvious.

You have to hold the sword up and look around. If you are looking in the right direction, you will see a beam come from your sword. The colossus is in the general direction of that beam (though with some of them I found it difficult to actually find them).

I think the one you are looking for is quite close to the temple, in the big chasm where the water flows.

• Like 1

If you rotate while holding the sword, you'll be able to see the beam more clearly. Furthermore, it's best to hold the sword up in sunlight, as the light gets dimmer the darker it is (so, inside a cave, nothing at all would appear).

• Like 1

You have to hold the sword up and look around. If you are looking in the right direction, you will see a beam come from your sword. The colossus is in the general direction of that beam (though with some of them I found it difficult to actually find them).
I think the one you are looking for is quite close to the temple, in the big chasm where the water flows.
Ah yes, I get it now. I didn't realise the beams of light focused when you looked around. I thought they were pointing to all of the beasts and wasn't sure which one to head towards.