NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)

This is so awesome. Looks like a true remake.

Let's hope they add better controls.

But even if they don't, I'll buy that shit again :D

Think this was the big one for me this year, despite it being a remake.

It looks fantastic.

I didn't play the original so will definitely be picking this up!

Didn't get a chance to play the original, and i have heard some great things about this game.

While I liked Shadow of the Colossus on PS2, I probably didn't appreciate it quite as much as others, largely due to frustrations with the controls!

If they improve that aspect in the PS4 version, I'll happily dive into the game again :hehe:

I'm not the only person who feels that a lot of the original game's look and feel has been lost in this remake am I?

Almost all of the "otherworldly haze" that is a trademark of Team Ico's games is absent here...

Edited by Dcubed

I will be picking this up eventually. I really enjoyed The Last Guardian. I assume this is similar?

This looks amazing. Really looking forward to play this as it's the only one of the Team Ico trilogy that I haven't played. Great trailer again. :D

Odd that they split the cinematic trailer from the gameplay trailer considering how it went on-stage. Here’s the gameplay trailer:

No idea why it wasn’t included in either of the trailers, but we have a release date: February 6th 2018.

Ueda has also said that he proposed some changes to Sony for the game, but it’s still unclear if they’ll be included.

That's [mention=689]Eenuh[/mention]'s birthday. Looks like I've sorted out a gift already!
Who says romance is dead?!
Looks to be a budget release. It's £25 over on Shopto.
Even better!

On 10/30/2017 at 6:35 PM, Dcubed said:

I'm not the only person who feels that a lot of the original game's look and feel has been lost in this remake am I?

Almost all of the "otherworldly haze" that is a trademark of Team Ico's games is absent here...

I don't think it looks that great either, looks pretty generic to me like those fan made OOT in Unreal engine demos. I'm also concerned about having complete camera control, as awkward as the camera is in Team Ico games it's an integral part to how the games feel. The thing I was most concerned about upon it's original reveal was that the original games score seemed to be missing but the last two showings have confirmed that it is still there, it's the one aspect about the original that nobody can have any complaints over so hopefully they don't re-record it or have new arrangements. 

The lack of involvement from Ueda is pretty disappointing so my expectations are pretty low, I just hope that it doesn't replace the original (or the HD remaster) going forward, it would be a shame for it's legacy to be tarnished by a remake that fails to capture the awe and the magic of Ueda and Team Ico's original creation.

• Thanks 1

I think that “otherworldly haze” that is missing is purely performance saving tricks. Watching that trailer the game looks fantastic. It’s crisp instead of blurry and there is not nauseating amount of motion blur now. 

And I thought SotC always had full camera control? I’m sure I remember running towards the camera while keeping a colossus in focus. 

Also, @killthenet I’m not sure why Ueda’s lack of involvement should matter. The game has been made and remastered once already. His involvement shouldn’t be necessary to once again rerelease it. That would be like being worried that the other multitude of HD rereleases weren’t handled by original studios. Okay originally that was worrying but at this point many studios have proven quite adequate at just updating a games graphics and leaving mechanics alone. 

@Nolan It matters because for the remaster Bluepoint simply used the assets from the original game but at a higher resolution so there wasn't really much they could do wrong, with this they're making everything again from the ground up. Obviously I hope it turns out well but I'm just concerned that it won't feel quite as special and future generations will be more likely to play this remake than the original because it's more accessible, I would have just preferred them to port the HD remaster over to PS4. 

I don't think you could move the camera completely around Wanderer like they do at the start of the gameplay trailer, you had some limited movement and could press R2 to focus the viewpoint on a Colossus but the choice of angles was very limited. 

• Like 1

I will eventually pick this up. I really enjoyed The Last Guardian. I have too many games that I want to play first though.

Never played SoTC, however i have far too many games to get through first before i even consider a purchase.

Been watching some previews of it, and it looks fantastic.  They've done an excellent job on remastering this.