NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter World (PS4)

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

So...that Behemoth. That is one bad ass monster :D Kicks the crap out of me everytime. ::shrug: 

Anyway, after using the Insect Glaive for my now almost 50 hours of playtime I want to switch to something else. Either Dual Blades or Heavy Bowgun. Haven't quite decided, yet.

My guild card on Monster Hunter Generations reads "Dual Blades for Life" so you know what I'm going to recommend... ;)

...the Heavy Bowgun of course! :grin:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

...the Heavy Bowgun of course! :grin:

I'm actually heavily in favour of giving the Heavy Bowgun a chance. The Insect Glaive was a pretty cool starting weapon for me, but I've had my close quarters fix and now I'm ready to fight from a distance :D 

@drahkon my favourite weapon is the Charge Blade, it’s such a technical weapon. Once you get used to hitting guard points you can really dominate monsters and feel godly doing so... can’t recommend it enough!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kav said:

@drahkon my favourite weapon is the Charge Blade, it’s such a technical weapon. Once you get used to hitting guard points you can really dominate monsters and feel godly doing so... can’t recommend it enough!

I don't recall asking you, though. :p Just kidding.

Charge Blade was the weapon I used during my first 2 hours. It was quite possibly the worst choice because I was overwhelmed :D Might get back to that weapon at some point, though. 

Right now the Heavy Bowgun is growing on me. I was a little confused with the fact that you can't deal a lot of damage from a distance, but then I realized: With the way the battle system works, being able to deal full damage from far away would be OP. It's kind of obvious, really :D 
Love the different choices in ammo you get. 

Playing with the Heavy Bowgun changes battles completely. It was quite surprising. I guess most weapons play very differently from each other?

Anyway, I'm farming Lunastra to craft the weapon variant I want. I don't really understand the Heavy Bowgun's stats and what synergises with it, but that's the beauty of this game: It's awesome to try and find out :peace: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You guys could've told me that this game is hella addictive and awesome :p 

Just unlocked Augmentations. Why not let me grind more to upgrade my gear even more :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow... that's one Monster Hunter crossover I didn't think we'd see happen. :D

Obviously doesn't work as well as Geralt from The Witcher but... I'll take it! :peace:

Haven't been playing MHW that much in the past week (haven't played much at all, to be honest) but whenever I log on and go on a hunt it's a blast. :) There aren't many games that are still this much fun even though you're pretty much doing the same thing over and over again :D 

I've started fighting with Dual Blades and goodness me, they are fun. Full on offensive-mode :peace: 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Haven't been playing MHW that much in the past week (haven't played much at all, to be honest) but whenever I log on and go on a hunt it's a blast. :) There aren't many games that are still this much fun even though you're pretty much doing the same thing over and over again :D 

I've started fighting with Dual Blades and goodness me, they are fun. Full on offensive-mode :peace: 

Welcome to the joy of Monster Hunter. :D

Dual Blades for Life :cool:

I need to get back to playing this in the evenings.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2019 at 10:12 AM, drahkon said:

Any time you might feel it start getting a bit old just change weapon and it brings a new freshness to it.

Next time you feel that give the Bow a go.

• Like 1

Just augmented my Dual Blades so I get a little bit of life steal. It's not much but it can certainly reduce the amounts of potions I drink :D 

In other news:

Total worldwide shipments and digital sales for Monster Hunter: World have surpassed 14 million, Capcom announced.

Monster Hunter: World first launched for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One worldwide on January 26, 2018, followed by PC on August 3, 2018.

An expansion, Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, launched for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on September 6, and is due out for PC in January 2020. Shipments and digital sales for the expansion have surpassed 2.5 million as of September 13.

gematsu.com

Incredible. Here's hoping Capcom will never ever go back to handhelds with Monster Hunter. I always thought the series was held back by the technical limitations of weaker devices, which was one of the biggest reasons I couldn't get into the series in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I put a stupid amount of time on this over the Christmas period and I fell in love with the game again. The new expansion is absolutely fantastic and I was lucky enough to get to play the timed Safi'jiiva fight, which was amazing. I look forward to the return of that fight. 

The Guiding Lands area is such a cool addition to the game. It takes all of the previous hunting zones and mashes them into its own large map. It essentially becomes a bit of a Monster Hunter open world at this point, with you being able to run around hunting beasts from every region but without having to return to the hub. Players can come and go as they please ( as long as the host is firing the SOS ) and you can earn points in order to summon a monster that you may want to hunt. The other weekend I spent ages in this mode in the same session with a bunch of randomers and had a cracking time. 

The Clutch Claw is absolutely fantastic and really changes how you hunt the monsters. You use it by grappling to the monster and if you have something in your slinger, and the beastie isn't in rage mode, you can fire a shot off at it's head and send it charging to a wall, knocking it out and getting a bunch of free shots on it. You can also weaken monster parts by grappling and attacking them. This new system really does bring another dimension to the fights and makes you look for opening in order to trying and get the grapple.

It's a shame nobody seems to be playing this. I think this is the first MH game since the PSP games where I have played through it on my own. Still, the SOS system makes it very easy to hook up with random players and it's always easy to get a few hunts in, whatever the time of day. I finished the story mode but I continue to play the game and I think I will be doing so for a long time. 

• Thanks 1

The expansion is on sale for a tenner off. A mate and I are considering getting this instead of Castle Crashers Remastered for some co-op action.

I reckon Iceborne offers a lot more content and "better" co-op possibilities.

Just now, drahkon said:

The expansion is on sale for a tenner off. A mate and I are considering getting this instead of Castle Crashers Remastered for some co-op action.

I reckon Iceborne offers a lot more content and "better" co-op possibilities.

Yeah, they still keep pumping out new events and monsters as well. I keep playing it between other games and i'm closing to 500 hours on the thing now! :eek:

• Like 1

Bought it :D

Turns out my mate hasn't even played World, yet. :laughing: No biggie, as I'll gladly play the vanilla game again :peace:

Well, the first two Iceborne hunts kicked my ass. :D
Managed to not faint, but it took quite a while to hunt down the monsters. Ahhhh, the game has me hooked again.

Can't wait to play World again, this time with a mate. Already created a loadout with some crappy armor and the first Greatsword :D

28 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Well, the first two Iceborne hunts kicked my ass. :D
Managed to not faint, but it took quite a while to hunt down the monsters. Ahhhh, the game has me hooked again.

Can't wait to play World again, this time with a mate. Already created a loadout with some crappy armor and the first Greatsword :D

Yeah, Iceborne is much harder than the base game. It offers a decent challenge throughout the whole thing.

• Like 2

My mate and I started playing Monster Hunter World today.

Setting up co-op play is a bit of a hassle for the first few quests (or isn't possible at all for one expedition). I would assume the main quests will continue to suffer from this.
It's still great fun, though.

Definitely need to get used to the slooooooooooooow Greatsword. Damage per swing is great, but mobility sucks :D
My mate uses Sword and Shield.

One of his remarks that stuck with me: "There's so much information being thrown to me...I don't understand anything" :laughing:
Yes, my friend, we've all been there. Really hope he sticks with it until it clicks.

On 02/04/2020 at 12:01 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, Iceborne is much harder than the base game. It offers a decent challenge throughout the whole thing.

Will pick this up when I’ve finally got some expendable cash! Skint ain’t the word!!!

On 4/2/2020 at 11:47 PM, drahkon said:

I would assume the main quests will continue to suffer from this.

They sure do...Monster Hunter World's co-op set-up sucks.
Certain quests/expeditions I could only join after 15 minutes, some of them I couldn't join at all...Yesterday, I spent 25 minutes doing something else while my mate was busy in an expedition I couldn't help with ::shrug:

Can't wait for him to be done with all the assigned quests and we can start with the end game...

Made some progress with Iceborne. The Clutch Claw is awesome. I haven't really used it until yesterday. Finally did the tutorial and man...it's a game changer. Definitely helps against some of the more annoying monsters.
Upgraded my Dual Blades. Went with Poison as my go-to element for now. :D

I'm torn...

Fighting old monsters on Master Rank is awesome but the new Iceborne monsters aren't designed very well...they either bum-rush you constantly or spam AoE attacks. Once they're enraged it gets even worse, especially since the clutch claw becomes pretty much useless. Adding to that they have way too much HP. Fighting them becomes tedious and annoying. :hmm:

I'm now halfway through the expansion and it's been mostly a negative experience :(

On 4/19/2020 at 3:32 PM, drahkon said:

I'm now halfway through the expansion and it's been mostly a negative experience

And then Velkhana enters. The second fight against the dragon was amazing. :o

I spent quite a bit of time unlocking all Palico skills over the weekend. I guess it's reasonable to do that after 100 hours... :D Should've done that ages ago, though, as the Plunderblade is apparently incredibly useful for getting materials.

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

And then Velkhana enters. The second fight against the dragon was amazing. :o

I spent quite a bit of time unlocking all Palico skills over the weekend. I guess it's reasonable to do that after 100 hours... :D Should've done that ages ago, though, as the Plunderblade is apparently incredibly useful for getting materials.

Plunderblade is indeed an awesome skill. There have been instances where i've needed a gem or mantle from a boss and instead of farming the thing, i've just went in with my Palico and attempted to nab said item with Plunderblade. It works more times that it should. :laughing:

Speaking of Velkhana, i've recently been farming the thing. I'm trying to get the large gold crown size and it just won't show up. However, I did manage to get the large gold crown off of Yian Garuga last night. I just randomly jumped into a quest and figured I would give someone a hand. My kindness paid off. :D 

I'm still playing this in between everything else and despite the stupid amount of time i've put into the game i'm still nowhere near getting the platinum. I dunno whether that makes me happy or sad. 

• Like 1

Forgot that this is on Xbox Game Pass (still seems crazy it is) so I've been chipping away again the last few days in the hopes I might actually "complete" the base game.

I had a fight against Nergigante (final 7* quest I think) already lined up from last play a good few months ago, so I fired my SOS flare and allowed a couple of higher rank hunters to decimate it while I tried to remember how to run and block with my shield 🤦‍♂️

After that embarrassment I've held my own against Teostra and Kushula (?) All in multiplayer, found I'm appreciating it's differences to the 3DS/Switch game styles I've been used to 😊

• Haha 1