NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Yeah...seeing as I bought Monster Hunter World a couple of weeks ago for sale and as I have only done two quests so far...I think I'll wait with this :D 

But good to hear that it's getting great reviews. End-game especially is supposed to be really good.

Maybe it's time to ditch Diablo 3 for now and get on with some MH action?

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Maybe it's time to ditch Diablo 3 for now and get on with some MH action?

It is.

Here's the deal: I know that Monster Hunter World is much more accessible than its predecessors, however, when I started it a couple of weeks ago I was still overwhelmed. Does anybody know of a good video or, preferably, a nice write-up to digest which covers all the basics? 

Once I've finished Matterfall I will put all my gaming time into Slay the Spire and Monster Hunter World but I'd like to go into the latter much more prepared :D 

11 hours ago, drahkon said:

Here's the deal: I know that Monster Hunter World is much more accessible than its predecessors, however, when I started it a couple of weeks ago I was still overwhelmed. Does anybody know of a good video or, preferably, a nice write-up to digest which covers all the basics? 

The main loop of the game is pretty easy to get to grips with. You fight beasts, kill them and carve them and then use these materials to upgrade your weapons and armour. This allows you to do more damage and take more hits, which in turns lets you taking on stronger enemies. Keep repeating that loop until the credits roll. :D The main challenge that a lot gamers face with the series is that you need to have patience and learn the attacks of the monsters you are fighting. Knowing what type of gamer you are I think you'll be fine with this aspect.

When roaming around the maps always make sure you are picking up everything you can. Herbs, mining spots and bugs are all used to craft new items and they come in very useful, especially when you are starting out. Sometimes it's best to just do a gathering run on a map rather than going hunting.

The MH games are always best played in multiplayer mode and this one makes it very easy to hook up with people. When you are in a quest you can fire off a flare which will attract other hunters who are looking to help. They can jump straight into your game a lend a hand.

Weapons - The first thing to do is to figure out what weapon you want to main. With you being a beginner I suggest using something that has a block function so that you can at least defend against the enemies while you learn their attack patterns. When I first played MH all those years ago I went with the Great Sword. It's slow but it does a great amount of raw damage per swing and you can also block with it. These days I rock the Long Sword, which is fast, does less damage but can inflict status effects pretty quickly.

When building a weapon you should check out the skill trees, either in the game or online, to see what weapon it will eventually turn into. This is a good way to gauge what items you will need to upgrade it and what monsters you will need to hunt to get the parts from.

Armour -  For this, at the start of the game what I usually do is just concentrate on getting a good defensive stat without worrying about what skills you get with it. You see, each piece of armour you equip comes a stat bonus. Equip enough pieces to raise the stat level to 10 or above and you will get a bonus, such as extra health, higher attack or being able to see where the monster is on the map. Again, you don't really need to dig into this kind of thing early on it the game and it's more for the end game stuff.

You can also upgrade your armour. Using certain items allows you to increase the base stat of each piece you equip. They will eventually hit a limit but later armour usually all end up around the same defensive levels once fully levelled up. At that point it's just a question of what skills you want or how you want to look.

Items - Always make sure you keep a full stock of things like potions, herbs and antidotes before going on a quest. You can usually buy these items but you can also make them by combining things you find in the field. Combining items can also help create better items. For example, a potion can be combined with some honey to make a mega potion. Later on in the game you will be able to farm these items from the main town. This allows you to get items without having to gather them yourself.

Food - There will be a kitchen/restaurant area in the main hub. You should always eat before going on a quest. Eating the food will give you stat upgrades during the quest that you plan be doing. These upgrades will last until you finish the quest or die. Completing more quests will unlock more food options. The more food options you have, the higher the stat bonuses will be. Eventually you will be able to max out your HP and stamina bars just by eating a meal. 

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If you have any more MH related questions then just post away. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much :) 

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

he main challenge that a lot gamers face with the series is that you need to have patience and learn the attacks of the monsters you are fighting. Knowing what type of gamer you are I think you'll be fine with this aspect.

Yeah, that won't be a problem :D Slap on some awesome music and I'm ready to fight.

The MH games are always best played in multiplayer mode and this one makes it very easy to hook up with people. When you are in a quest you can fire off a flare which will attract other hunters who are looking to help. They can jump straight into your game a lend a hand.

Will I be matched with hunters that are roughly the same level? Usually I don't like to play games with randoms and it's even worse when they're overpowered.

If you have any more MH related questions then just post away. 

I remember having a lot of trouble understanding the inventory/stash system. Granted, I didn't put a lot of effort into getting to grips with it, but still...there were times when I just couldn't find an item that I picked up during a quest ::shrug: Any tips? :p 

Will I be matched with hunters that are roughly the same level? Usually I don't like to play games with randoms and it's even worse when they're overpowered.

That will be the case here, at least on the earlier quests. It's one of the downsides to falling behind when hunting with mates. If you don't keep up with each other then sometimes it feels like you get carried through certain quests. It's why I put stupid hours into the games when they first get released so that I never having that feeling. :p It's always best to experience a MH game when they first come out because you are at level pegging with everyone and everyone is still trying to learn the ropes for the new monsters. 

I remember having a lot of trouble understanding the inventory/stash system. Granted, I didn't put a lot of effort into getting to grips with it, but still...there were times when I just couldn't find an item that I picked up during a quest ::shrug: Any tips? :p 

Items that you pick up or carve that can't be used there and then won't be seen in the scrolling inventory that's at the bottom of your screen. Only items that are useful out in the field ( potions, whetstone etc. ) are used in that inventory. For things like ores you mine and materials you carve, these are kept elsewhere in your inventory. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

For things like ores you mine and materials you carve, these are kept elsewhere in your inventory. 

IIRC I never saw them anywhere ::shrug: Maybe I'm dumb :D 

17 hours ago, S.C.G said:

https://www.thegamecollection.net/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-master-edition-ps4/?sqr=monster hunter&

There's a non-steelbook version or at least there was the other day as it's sold out now and they only have the steelbook in stock. :(

It's £2 more but I don't mind, I'd rather that than have to get the steelbook and then rebuy the game like I did with the Yakuza titles.

Guess what? You were right @Hero of Time it turns out that they either don't have non-steelbook copies, or they sent the wrong one and they are charging £2 more or they were.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, I have the steelbook now, it is a nice steelbook, if there were to be any game I'd want a steelbook of then it would be Monster Hunter...

...plus I have empty PS4 cases from old PS Plus subscriptions, and I found a seller selling the pre-order sleeve for a cheap price, which will do nicely for the shelf. :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monster-Hunter-World-Iceborn-Ps4-Display-Case-Poster-X2/401859635001?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

There you go, in case that's of any use to you, the picture isn't very good but you can see he's selling ones for the Xbox version as well in addition to other POS game stuff.

Anyway, I have the game now, that's the main thing, I may keep an eye on that seller to see if he's selling a display sleeve for Yakuza Collection nearer the time.

But forget all that... Monster Hunter Iceborne is here! In the month of "buy everything, play everything or give up and sod everything, let's release everything in..." September! :p

• Haha 1

I didn't get around to playing this yesterday, because of course I didn't!

Banjo in Smash, SNES games on the Switch... there's no way I was going to miss out on any of that. :D

Tonight though, I've unsealed the steelbook copy of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, the disc just took 20 minutes to install and now...

...there's another 8GB update which will take another quarter of an hour and that's on a good wired connection. :p

But soon... :cool:

On 9/5/2019 at 9:52 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

With you being a beginner I suggest using something that has a block function so that you can at least defend against the enemies while you learn their attack patterns.

Pfff, I'm not a weakling :p I decided to go with the Insect Glaive for now. The heal effect of my Kinsect came in handy during the battle against Pukei-Pukei. What I didn't utilize at all, however, was the "extract" funktion (edit: the German in me came out...it's function, obviously). Guess I have a lot to learn :D 

Spent about an hour with the game just now. 30 minutes in Astera just to take in some more information and then 30 minutes on the hunt for Pukei-Pukei
What a battle that was. Halfway through, a second monster joined the fight...I think it's called Great Jargas? Anyway, they appeared to be screaming at each other for 10 seconds and then immediately ganged up on me. Thank you very much. I ran away and had to track the poison bird again. Managed to find him after a while and was able to take him on without interference. Took a while to beat him, but I did it and I am chuffed :D 

What a game!

Edit: Do all monster appear in free-roam? I.e. can I farm all materials just in that "mode"?

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

@S.C.G I was playing the snes games on switchon friday, was playing StarFox for the first time since 1999 when I still had a snes.

Will probably be hunting online tomorrow night or early next week as I have a long download time right now about 27 hours.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Gadwin said:

@S.C.G I was playing the snes games on switchon friday, was playing StarFox for the first time since 1999 when I still had a snes.

Will probably be hunting online tomorrow night or early next week as I have a long download time right now about 27 hours.

Hey there @Gadwin I thought you'd be pleased with the SNES games as well, I'm glad to hear that you got some play time in with them, som great games on there. :D

I only just got around to playing Monster Hunter World: Iceborne late last night by the time it had finished installing, so I have started but I'm only one quest in. :smile:

That download time sounds painful :p 27 hours... I hope it speeds up for you at some point but we'll be sure to play some games online once it's installed and you're ready. :peace:

From what I played last night, the story is cool, you don't have to start it until you're ready either, it is like a proper expansion, you get a title update and all the items etc.

Once you start Iceborne, any 9* quests are then marked as "complete" but you can still tackle them as it will add then as a duplicate "Optional" quest.

This only applied to two quests for me, I'm HR 33, that's where I left it at... you get M Rank for Iceborne which seems seperate from your other rank and the HR cap is removed.

Just from completing that first quest, I went from M1 to M2 if that's any indication, and while I won't spoil anything, the story is cool, the new location is amazing and it's all just really fantastic as the improvements really make a difference, it feels right carrying on from the base game and it has enough things in there to aid newcomers as well.

I can't wait to play more of it. :)

• Like 1

I now realize what the main thing was that made me stop playing the game at first: I thought that you needed long play sessions to make progress. I was wrong, at least in the early stages of the game (no idea if it's different later). I played for an hour now, finished one investigation, a main quest, upgraded my weapon and crafted a new armor. :peace: 

Yup yup, I can see myself spending many hours with this :D 

• Like 2

Can I just say: I'm impressed with how polished this game is. So many little details, so many things to do...it's insane.

Still don't understand a few things. For example: My kinsect can do some poison thingy, which I can then hit to release poison. However, monsters don't get poisoned? Am I doing it wrong?

Also: Is it necessary to switch weapons for different monsters? Do I need to get used to different types of weapons in order to deal different types of damage (e.g. blunt, etc.)? Or can I pretty much just use one weapon throughout the game with no problems?

• Like 1

Well, at least we have a month to prepare...

:blank:

...It's still not enough.

Rajang Hype! :D

• Like 1

I've reached HR5 in 10 hours of playtime in a week. Looks like it's a nope from me :D Adding to that, I don't even own Iceborne.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, drahkon said:

I've reached HR5 in 10 hours of playtime in a week. Looks like it's a nope from me :D Adding to that, I don't even own Iceborne.

Given hunts are usually about 50min allocated and you're new to it I wouldn't say thats horrifically ridiculous as you slowly get used to things; it also has certain quests that stop your rank going up(even tho it is behind the scenes with optionals etc) until you complete those etc.

I don't have Iceborne myself but interested as a few folks I know are likely to; however I've only just got help with Tempered Kirin and got end game options etc to do and probs shit to collect so if folks are getting back on for a roam and a chuckle message me on psn - Rumdumcious

• Thanks 1

Capcom reports that Monster Hunter World: Iceborne has already shipped a whopping 2.5 million units -- a figure that includes both digital numbers as well as physical. Put simply, it's been a huge initial hit, especially since Iceborne requires players to complete the base release.

[via pushsquare.com]

Insane numbers. But apparently deserved.

• Thanks 1

24h mark reached. High rank hunts are now available to me and so is better equipment. I feel like the game has now truly opened up :D 

Didn't enjoy the quests involving the Elder Dragon, I have to say...they were quite boring, to be honest. They don't take anything away from the game's awesomeness, though. It's unbelievable how much there is to do and see.

There are so many details, it's astounding. The devs really put in a lot of work. And it shows. You can feel the passion that has been put in by everyone who worked on Monster Hunter World. It's amazing :peace: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there anything special you need to do in order to get a monster's gem or is it simply praying to RNGesus and hoping for a drop?
Edit: Nevermind. Just slayed Kushala Daora and got its gem by carving :D I guess, it's RNG then.

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

Is there anything special you need to do in order to get a monster's gem or is it simply praying to RNGesus and hoping for a drop?
Edit: Nevermind. Just slayed Kushala Daora and got its gem by carving :D I guess, it's RNG then.

Yep, it's the good old Really Numbing Grind to get what you want in Monster Hunter World. :D

Luckily, the grind is fun most of the time. :smile:

Over the past week or so, this is the only game that I've had time for, I'm still managing to spend an hour or two in the evening at least making some progress.

Instead of going through the Iceborne main quests, I've actually been back-tracking and am going through all the optional quests I missed so I can get all the Astera upgrades.

These range from more ingredients for the canteen, extra capacity for the laboratory and more besides, really helpful stuff.

Using the clutch claw on earlier monsters from the base game is a real game-changing mechanic as well, I was blitzing arena monsters in 5 minutes flat. :p

I know I'm going to have to get on with the Iceborne quests soon and get better armour etc... I am looking forward to it as well but also, there's no rush. :peace:

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne is a game I can see myself returning to for a long time yet, at least well into 2020 with any luck. :)

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Yep, it's the good old Really Numbing Grind to get what you want in Monster Hunter World. :D

Wouldn't want it any other way :D 

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Luckily, the grind is fun most of the time. :smile:

It is indeed. I'm farming Nergigante right now to upgrade my weapon. Need its tail just one more time. :peace: 

I'm really tempted to get Iceborne as soon as I'm done with the "story" of the base game. 

• Thanks 1

After 31 hours the credits roll.

What a game. Except for one or two quests I was having fun the entire time. :) 

Now...I probably won't play this for a while since I want to focus on Tales of Berseria but sometime in the not so far away future I will buy Iceborne and keep chugging away at quests from the base game and the expansion :peace: 

Edit:

I probably won't play this for a while

Hahahaha, well that was a fucking lie :D Lots of new quests opened up. Guess I'll keep playing this then...

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

I know I'm pretty much talking to myself in here but I just have to gush :D 

Reached HR35, a couple more new quests opened up, which I didn't really expect. Also found a weird material (Streamstone) which I have no idea how to use ::shrug: Guess there's still a lot to explore :D 

The "cameo-quests" are also available now. Seeing Geralt in the New World was weird :laughing: Haven't done any of those quests, though.

Been doing a lot of SOS requests and it's so much fun teaming up with other Hunters. It's incredible how in sync people can get in a fight with pretty much no communication. So much fun.

Decided to not buy Iceborne right now because I'll be busy with the base game for a while and I don't want new content to distract me from the shit ton of stuff that I have to complete.

Oh, and FUCK YOU, Nergigante. Why won't you give me the final gem that I need to complete the armor set :( 

• Thanks 1

So...that Behemoth. That is one bad ass monster :D Kicks the crap out of me everytime. ::shrug: 

Anyway, after using the Insect Glaive for my now almost 50 hours of playtime I want to switch to something else. Either Dual Blades or Heavy Bowgun. Haven't quite decided, yet.

• Thanks 1