NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter World (PS4)

@Hero-of-Time are you still sticking to the LS or will you be checking out any other weapons this time round?

@Rummy, @Blade & I don’t get on all too often, a night or two a week, if you fancy joining us? We’re still low rank too (I’m HR10)... we’ll be on tonight if you’re about!

Edited by Kav
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kav said:

@Hero-of-Time are you still sticking to the LS or will you be checking out any other weapons this time round?

@Rummy, @Blade & I don’t get on all too often, a night or two a week, if you fancy joining us? We’re still low rank too (I’m HR10)... we’ll be on tonight if you’re about!

I'm probably still too low to join yet(thought I'd love to) in addition to going to see Black Panther with my marvel mate tonight, if you know when you guys might be on always give me a bit of an advanced notice shout? I'll try and smash through it a bit on thursday-sunday to get my HR up a bit closer to 10-12ish and some bits that feel ok. My biggest problem with games like this(or any with an inventory :p) is that I'm an absolute hoarder :p

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rummy said:

I'm probably still too low to join yet(thought I'd love to) in addition to going to see Black Panther with my marvel mate tonight, if you know when you guys might be on always give me a bit of an advanced notice shout? I'll try and smash through it a bit on thursday-sunday to get my HR up a bit closer to 10-12ish and some bits that feel ok. My biggest problem with games like this(or any with an inventory :p) is that I'm an absolute hoarder :p

Hoarding is what’s needed in MH... at least for me who likes to make so many different weapons & armour!

We tend to be on Tuesdays & (me sometimes) Thursdays... sometimes Sunday nights too.

I think HR 5 isn’t too far behind us really, given we’re still rocking low rank equipment, but if you want to increase it first that’s no problem of course.

2 hours ago, Kav said:

I've just used the LS exclusively at the moment, at least outside of the the arena quests. I may try and mix things up a bit and start using either a gun or a bow. It might be a nice change to tackle beasties from afar, rather than charging in swinging.

• Like 1

Someone over on Resetera made this cheat sheet. Granted, the game tells you most of this information in your hunting log but I figured I would drop it here for those who want it.

rl0tNSy.jpg

2FWzPa8.jpg

I had another good session on the game last night. Once again I was just jumping between random quests with strangers and taking down Elder Dragons. I think Teostra is probably the easiest of them to fight, especially if people bring flashes and use them as he's about to do his big bang attack.

I'm thinking about making sets that will help fight Nerg and Hazak. Getting earplugs for Nerg would be a life saver when he's about to do his dive bomb attack and having effluvial resistance when fighting Hazak would negate the life halving spray that he does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

hunter rank 39? i'm only HR3! christ!

I've only just killed my first Kobi-Tadachi, who is a cheap ass bitch with his shock powers and then running up a tree and atomic elbow dropping you!

Is Poison a viable weapon element? i'm using the Puki Gaive and its generally quite good, but i do wonder how effective it is compared to other status elements?

basically i have no clue

Is matching armour better? because a mix right now seems best ability wise

10 hours ago, Agent Gibbs said:

hunter rank 39? i'm only HR3! christ!

I've only just killed my first Kobi-Tadachi, who is a cheap ass bitch with his shock powers and then running up a tree and atomic elbow dropping you!

Is Poison a viable weapon element? i'm using the Puki Gaive and its generally quite good, but i do wonder how effective it is compared to other status elements?

basically i have no clue

Is matching armour better? because a mix right now seems best ability wise

When Tobi climbs the tree use a flash bomb and he'll drop right out of it.

Poison is a decent element to use, especially if the weapon has a high chance of inflicting the status effect. If playing solo, I think that it's the best status to use. All the other effects are best used when you are in a team, so just go for raw damage/high sharpness.

Matching armour is only if you want to look good. :D Mixing sets is the best way to get the skills you want to use, which depends on what kind of weapon user you are.

• Thanks 2

This comparison is doing the rounds...

I’m going to say, I think the handler is  more annoying than JJB!

• Haha 1

I haven't found the gall to commit myself to this again yet, may well be on this eve though. Running basic/story stuff mostly(still haven't learnt trapping) tho suddenly I think I'm realising I had a dream I went MHing with friends. And I started thinking about those flashpods mentioned and we didn't have any.

Sometimes I wonder if MH is witchcraft.

Cracking session on this last night. Myself and a mate came up with a great strat for fighting Teostra that keeps him pinned down and unable to move. We spent a while farming him and even the tempered 15 minute versions of him are a cake walk now. The randomers realised what we were doing and started to join in on the fun. :D 

We also done some farming on the Triple Threat event. We used the Bandit Mantle which nets you an insane amount of cash in a short amount of time. The monsters are easy to bring down and the amount of loot they drop is nuts, especially if everyone is using the Mantle.

I knocked together a Mushromancer set which is a bit of a game changer, especially if combined with Wide Range skill set. You can really help your team out at the start of a quest if you use your mushrooms when standing next to your squad. 

Looking forward to putting more stupid hours into the game over the weekend. I'm nearly at 150 hours played now. :eek:

• Thanks 1

On 14/02/2018 at 7:39 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Someone over on Resetera made this cheat sheet. Granted, the game tells you most of this information in your hunting log but I figured I would drop it here for those who want it.

rl0tNSy.jpg

2FWzPa8.jpg

I had another good session on the game last night. Once again I was just jumping between random quests with strangers and taking down Elder Dragons.

Just wanted to say thanks for this, I keep pulling up the forum and coming back to these pics as quick guides now lol. Trying to figure out what's what for bounties etc.

Gamewise I'm still low level yet somehow never get bored at all. I think I'm HR8 atm and just did a quick hunt on the Leggy with my mate in Japan yesterday(I love her and she's amazing but a total MH nerd so Japan sucks for gaming together) and Psychick and my mates mate over here - multiplayer with a real squad is fucking fun! Admittedly a wee bit easier but goddamn that's what's so lovely! Ripping the ever living shit out of a monster within minutes that'd take you about half hour otherwise - belissimo!

The game's breadth is overwhelming at times, but also kinda reassuring - how wrong can you go when there's so many potentially 'right' options? Now I'm a bit more familiar I've been utilising the SOS function on the boards a bit more to randomly help folks and get a bit more(literal) experience. I also figured the Glaive out a bit better(I'm an absolute fucking idiot) and managing to hit my triple buffs within about 5 hits of a familiar monster on each encounter now. A few are a bit tricky and I get doubles then need to work for the third - but fuck me it's like having a whole new weapon now I've figured that shit out. I'm not very good with accuracy/actually hitting the monster, and I really need to move off the bone tree(see above for not progressing enough and not getting the right mats) cos the sharpness disadvantage really sucks for some monsters.

But yeah. Basically this game somehow seems to both keep my interest and also keeps getting better too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had some cracking sessions on this over the weekend and made some great progress.

I reached HR100, caught all the rare pets and fish, nabbed 8 large gold crowns and 8 mini gold crowns, built 5 rare 8 weapons and, to top it off, I came across someone who was hosting the Japan exclusive USJ quest and ended up getting all the materials from that for my cat and new longsword.

The hunt for the rest of the gold crowns now begins....

• Thanks 1

Turns out that I had one more quest to complete. Once you reach HR100 you get given your final quest. This pits you against Teostra, Kushala and Nergigante who are all Tempered. Sadly, the mission itself is pretty easy as you only fight one of the beasts at a time. In past MH games the final quest has been in the arena facing multiple monsters at the same time.

Something I forgot to mention yesterday was that I manged to nab a Hero Streamstone for my Longsword. These things are pretty rare and even when you do get them to drop you have to hope its for the weapon you use. Kinda like the Ancient Shards from the other games. The streamstone allows me add things like attack power, affinity or healing ability to my longsword. I've yet to use it yet as i'm paralyzed by the choice I have to make. :D 

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The streamstone allows me add things like attack power, affinity or healing ability to my longsword. I've yet to use it yet as i'm paralyzed by the choice I have to make. :D 

I’d say go for affinity, as LS still has pretty fast attack rate. That or attack power, healing ability would be pointless for you. :hehe:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I’d say go for affinity, as LS still has pretty fast attack rate. That or attack power, healing ability would be pointless for you. :hehe:

I think it depends on what armour skills you use and how the weapon will link up with those. I've yet to faff on with the min/maxing endgame, purely because i've never felt i've needed to, so i'm still unclear on what my setup will be.

27 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think it depends on what armour skills you use and how the weapon will link up with those. I've yet to faff on with the min/maxing endgame, purely because i've never felt i've needed to, so i'm still unclear on what my setup will be.

I see.

Watched this yesterday:

It's got me even more excited to get the game and start some hammer time. :grin: I never really messed with those sliding charge moves in the beta, but they look absolutely awesome!  :o

• Thanks 1

So after getting a new job sorted, I kept my promise to myself and finally picked this up, trading in a few games too so I didn't pay anything for the actual game itself!

Before I start rambling, I'm definitely enjoying myself with it and the experience; I'm about 10 hours in and have just defeated my first Tobi Kadachi.

I can't honestly say I've seen or done anything yet that makes me think this is "only achievable on Xbox One", indeed it still feels like Monster Hunter of old; that isn't a bad thing of course, I love the games, but I was expecting the wheel to have been reshaped slightly more than what it has, it just feels like the 3DS games with a bit more scope and prettier graphics, so far.

Even then, the graphics aren't incredible. Lovely vistas but nothing stand out IMO. I've enjoyed the online systems so far, having played with randoms and getting success with every SOS flare I've either sent out or answered. One epic moment was during the Tobi Kadachi fight when two of us were going at him, and then two other hunters finally showed up and we all layed into the poor thing! 

So far, so good! Again, nothing exceptional that I was hoping for/expecting with it being this "brand new" MH game, but it's nice to get back into something I know I'll enjoy. I do wish it was on the Switch to do all the grinding bits like mining etc, so that when it cones to big quests I am already ready and don't have to spend precious time doing that at home, but I may be in the minority there ;)

Also an odd statistic I saw today; so I unlocked the first capture achievement today, one of the really early optional quests you can do. When I looked at the achievement in my records, it said 50% of players had gained this achievement. 50%?! I know it's Xbox and many may have picked it up on PS4, but still that's atrocious, half of players who have played on Xbox haven't even got as far as a HR2 optional quests showing the basics of how to capture!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I spent 4 hours last night hunting for crowns. Didn't get a single one. The grind is very real. :D Still, I had a cracking time on it though. I'm now butchering Elder dragons like nobodies business. Taking down the likes of Kushala in just over 5 mins is very satisfying.

• Thanks 1

The SOS mechanic in this is brilliant; it turns what were mundane single player quests in past games into a thrilling encounter in the blink of an eye! 

Up to HR7 now but been doing most of the optional quests as well, maybe about 12 hours in, and really enjoying myself with it.

Again, apart from the SOS flare, I'm not sure I'm seeing anything yet that proves this couldn't have been on Switch mechanics wise, but then they seem to have stripped out alot of ore/plant farming (which I don't like but I can see why) so perhaps the early grind isn't as bad as before.

Also, when doing these flare quests, not once have I used voice chat to take a beast down; we all just get on with it. It's over rated, @Kav... ;)

• Haha 1

The size of the games worlds would have to be massively scaled back to get it running on the Switch. The graphics would also need to take a big hit.

I have to disagree with what you said earlier about the graphics. The game looks absolutely gorgeous and that's just with it running on my bog standard gear. Apparently it's stunning when on a Pro with a 4K TV.

• Thanks 1

Its possible as well that the worlds would have to go back to being split up into sections if it was ported to Switch.

Of course there's also the stuff you can't see as the extra power isn't just relegated to graphics. I have no idea obviously but its possible the monster AI and monsters battling each other draws from this extra power.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The size of the games worlds would have to be massively scaled back to get it running on the Switch. The graphics would also need to take a big hit.

I have to disagree with what you said earlier about the graphics. The game looks absolutely gorgeous and that's just with it running on my bog standard gear. Apparently it's stunning when on a Pro with a 4K TV.

Well, each to their own and all that :) it does look nice, don't get me wrong, but nothing out of this world, playing on a One S and with a 4K TV myself. I imagine it was optimised with PS4 Pro in mind though, so I imagine that's where the real money is! And if course, it would have to be graphically scaled back to be on Switch, but that rarely comes into my thinking so apologies for not making that clear!

I've come across this a few times, but obviously the areas are still divided up into numbers even though it's all "Open", and yet if a Monster isn't supposed to leave a certain numbered area yet, it still gets stuck in the exit area and won't fully move on until it's supposed to. I guess I'm just disappointed in constraints like that and the large loading times as well, wasn't expecting that with the promise of next gen capabilities.

Ultimately though that is nitpicking as I'm having an absolute blast with it so far :D

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Its possible as well that the worlds would have to go back to being split up into sections if it was ported to Switch.

Of course there's also the stuff you can't see as the extra power isn't just relegated to graphics. I have no idea obviously but its possible the monster AI and monsters battling each other draws from this extra power.

Yeah very true, although we've had two monsters on screen at the same time since 3U (perhaps before, that's as far back as I go) so I'm sure it could be done.

Anyway just to clarify myself incase any one thinks I'm utterly loopy, yes there would have to be significant scale backs for it to work on Switch, I'm not disputing that, but I mean that I don't feel like the mechanics of it couldn't be done.

Ultimately it won't, and if it does happen we'll get a Switch specific one I'm sure, so it's all conjecture anyway :)

I've just done the Street Fighter event for the first time and it was hilarious. Having Ryu's theme playing throughout the fight was epic.

If anyone wants the quest just let me know and I'll hook you up.