NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter World (PS4)

I need to work out what armour to upgrade to soon. At the moment I've just been upgrading my bone armour because I dont want any weaknesses but I assume thats just a bad plan for the long run.

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I need to work out what armour to upgrade to soon. At the moment I've just been upgrading my bone armour because I dont want any weaknesses but I assume thats just a bad plan for the long run.

Most armour will always have weaknesses. It's best to try and look at what skills they offer and see if they are of any benefit to the weapon you are currently using. Fire weakness is a pretty bad one to have, seeing as a lot of the monsters tend to spit fire.

To be fair, I usually just pick the armours that look the coolest.  The other day I was rocking a set that made me look like I was a member of the Beetleborgs. :D 

91lsgTC17ZL._SY445_.jpg

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Most armour will always have weaknesses. It's best to try and look at what skills they offer and see if they are of any benefit to the weapon you are currently using. Fire weakness is a pretty bad one to have, seeing as a lot of the monsters tend to spit fire.

To be fair, I usually just pick the armours that look the coolest.  The other day I was rocking a set that made me look like I was a member of the Beetleborgs. :D 

91lsgTC17ZL._SY445_.jpg

Thanks. Decided to work on some Anjanath armour now.

I guess I was just pissed at it so much because it didn’t get delivered when it should... that I’d been without it until last night, I was desperate to get online and hunt with mates.

That you’re forced to sit through so much crap at the beginning it just boiled my blood! Haha

@Hero-of-Time can you decipher which are story missions so I can just ignore them outright? I’ve never cared about the single player in MH.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kav said:

I guess I was just pissed at it so much because it didn’t get delivered when it should... that I’d been without it until last night, I was desperate to get online and hunt with mates.

That you’re forced to sit through so much crap at the beginning it just boiled my blood! Haha

@Hero-of-Time can you decipher which are story missions so I can just ignore them outright? I’ve never cared about the single player in MH.

This will probably annoy you but you actually have to do them in order to progress and unlock more monsters and a higher HR. It's not that bad. Just join a squad and use the SOS system to get through them. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

This will probably annoy you but you actually have to do them in order to progress and unlock more monsters and a higher HR. It's not that bad. Just join a squad and use the SOS system to get through them. 

It’s needless shit like this that really grinds my fucking gears!

Cheers dude.

Just now, Kav said:

It’s needless shit like this that really grinds my fucking gears!

Cheers dude.

I imagine they've done it due to the complaints by many who said the story mode in these games needed fleshing out. Just think of them as normal hunts, except that you can't have someone join you right from the start.

• Like 1

Don't think I'm going to be able to resist buying this game for much longer. The hype is killing me! :shakehead Even without being able to play online I know I'd still really enjoy it as I actually like the single player aspect of MH, and always found it super rewarding defeating the more difficult monsters without any assistance.

Picked up NieR: Automata recently though, and still working my way through that, then got Shadow of the Colossus on the way, so will probably have to be towards the end of February. But then Yakuza 6 is out in March! :eek:Arrrrgh! Too much going on. :hehe:

BTW, Nice to see you posting here again, @Hero-of-Time and enjoying MHW of course. ;)

:peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Got this yesterday and it's a bit overwhelming but I'm enjoying it even though I've still not decided on my weapon of choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Cookyman said:

Got this yesterday and it's a bit overwhelming but I'm enjoying it even though I've still not decided on my weapon of choice.

Yeah, I remember being hugely overwhelmed by my first foray into the Monster Hunter franchise with MHTri on Wii, it's definitely not an easy series to get into, once you do though... well, it quickly becomes dangerously addictive! :grin:

I started out with sword & shield (which is always the recommended option for newcomers) before moving on to long sword, lance and finally the hammer. Have stuck with hammer as my weapon of choice ever since (when playing as a cat isn't an option that is ;)) as I just love the feel of that weapon. And being able to K.O. monsters with a well timed bash on the head is ridiculously satisfying. :cool:

• Like 1

My first foray was also MHtri on wii and then MH3Ultimate on Wii U. On the Wii I just felt like I was battling the controls most of the time, really made it harder to get into than the actual mechanics. Also that I didn’t really have anyone to co-op with.

On the Wii U the controls seemed more manageable, but that just could’ve been me being more experienced from Souls games. 

Haven't gotten World yet, but I think I’ll have a much easier time getting into the game. It sounds more solo friendly and closer to a Bloodborne esque playstyle. I can handle those controls for sure. 

• Like 1

I got this launch day but haven't had much time to play it as yet unfortunately.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to this, but instantly.....the online is amazing and better by a country mile than when I had the 3DS one

I tried all the weapons and went with the insect Gaive this time, previously when I had the 3DS game I used great swords and dual blades and whilst I could easily pick up dual blades, for the life of me great swords just don't seem to click this time. That said the Gaive has clicked, leaping around dodging, its all what I like and allows me to get the job done

currently rank three and have only done up to the pukei pukei main quest, rocking bone armour now and the puki puki gaive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like Capcom had to ship another 1 million copies to keep up with the demand for the game.

Capcom also confirmed that the game is now the fastest selling game in Capcom's history.

I've said it for a while now that the series was on the wrong platform to find success in the West. Putting it on both the PS4 and Xbox, both of which have better online setups than the consoles/handhelds that previously housed the series, has proven my point. Focusing on the Western market seems to have really paid off for them and the series.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Looks like Capcom had to ship another 1 million copies to keep up with the demand for the game.

Capcom also confirmed that the game is now the fastest selling game in Capcom's history.

I've said it for a while now that the series was on the wrong platform to find success in the West. Putting it on both the PS4 and Xbox, both of which have better online setups than the consoles/handhelds that previously housed the series, has proven my point. Focusing on the Western market seems to have really paid off for them and the series.

I tell you what else they've nailed; the release date.

They've literally had no competition in terms of that type of game, the whole of January was building up to the release of it and there is still nothing that's come out since MH released to take gamers away from it.

Excellent work from Capcom, as a gamble/ throw of the dice, they've nailed it and it's great to see it's paid off for them!

• Like 1

Fantastic, I remember a while back when some remarked that this would always be on handheld because of Japan. Great to see the game doing well as it's much better than the previous games.

Been seeing this advertised on screens in London including outside Blackfriars station.
  • Like 1

It’s great on the PS4, but with the structure it has now where you have to progress the story, I’d have much preferred this to be on Switch!

I’d have done the story quests on my commute so I could focus on proper multiplayer at home!

So far it’s my least favourite Monster Hunter, Simply because of the structure of the game... still good of course, but not as fun as the others.

38 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I tell you what else they've nailed; the release date.

They've literally had no competition in terms of that type of game, the whole of January was building up to the release of it and there is still nothing that's come out since MH released to take gamers away from it.

Excellent work from Capcom, as a gamble/ throw of the dice, they've nailed it and it's great to see it's paid off for them!

Very true.  January was an excellent choice of release month.  Capcom really like the January release slot and have used it a lot in the past; oftentimes it doesn't work out well for them, but this time it was perfect.  Sony's massive marketing muscle no doubt helped tons too.

Can't really deny that the game has well outperformed even my wildest expectations, both in the west and in Japan.  Even though I'm really sad that there's no realistic way to play local multiplayer (which is basically half the reason I play Monster Hunter) and I'm not overly happy with some of the changes they've made (like making it possible to use potions while moving), I tip my hat to their success nonetheless.

I'll no doubt pick it up when it comes out on PC and try to jury-rig some sort of dodgy local multiplayer setup.

Edited by Dcubed

Very true.  January was an excellent choice of release month.  Capcom really like the January release slot and have used it a lot in the past; oftentimes it doesn't work out well for them, but this time it was perfect.  Sony's massive marketing muscle no doubt helped tons too.  

Can't really deny that the game has well outperformed even my wildest expectations, both in the west and in Japan.  Even though I'm really sad that there's no realistic way to play local multiplayer (which is basically half the reason I play Monster Hunter) and I'm not overly happy with some of the changes they've made (like making it possible to use potions while moving), I tip my hat to their success nonetheless.

I'll no doubt pick it up when it comes out on PC and try to jury-rig some sort of dodgy local multiplayer setup.

You can only move fairly slowly (even while "running") after using a potion, and you still have to put away your weapon (other than sword and shield). Honestly though not sure how you could be against that, there's so many quality of life changes the archaic-feeling series desperately needed that this game brought with it. I'm super impressed with this game.  

15 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

You can only move fairly slowly (even while "running") after using a potion, and you still have to put away your weapon (other than sword and shield). Honestly though not sure how you could be against that, there's so many quality of life changes the archaic-feeling series desperately needed that this game brought with it. I'm super impressed with this game.  

I think many were worried it would eliminate the risk/reward of using a potion but, as you mentioned, this certainly isn't the case. Taking a Mega Potion takes an age, as does using an antidote. While you can stop the animation and do a roll or start pegging it, this means you will waste the potion as you won't get the full amount from it.

• Like 1

I think many were worried it would eliminate the risk/reward of using a potion but, as you mentioned, this certainly isn't the case. Taking a Mega Potion takes an age, as does using an antidote. While you can stop the animation and do a roll or start pegging it, this means you will waste the potion as you won't get the full amount from it.

Just about any monster will still fuck you up if you're using a potion and it suddenly targets you because it will outpace you by far. You're much better off trying to find a bush really.

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

Just about any monster will still fuck you up if you're using a potion and it suddenly targets you because it will outpace you by far. You're much better off trying to find a bush really.

Pretty much. Timing your dive animation still works to great effect. :D 

Finished what appeared to be the final quest in the game this morning. I unlocked the Rainbow Pigment for my efforts.

I still maintain that the HR49 quest that puts you against a Tempered Kirin is the hardest quest in the game. The thing is brutal and seems to be a roadblock for many players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These folks with their HR49s and I'm still here probably barely HR5. This was a bad idea for me as I've been not dealing with life enough recently, but by that token I'm trying to not play it as 'casually' as the equally if not more dangerous OW :p Having said that given my MH experience is limited to a few hours of solo play in MH3U, I'm slowly growing to enjoy this as I start to understand it more. Not just the monsters and weapons and whatnot mind, even just some of the interfacing! The multiplayer looks rather excellently designed for dropping in and out and finding company to play with - credit both to the makers and Sony themselves too. As much as I'm not looking to rush into it yet(and I think we'll be surprised by its end of year sales) I know I'm gonna get a lot of fun and time out of it eventually.

Bit frustrating as previously mentioned however that the early missions are difficult/unclear in weather multi. I know H-o-T said it earlier but even so it wasn't quite clear to me at first that people couldn't join me until certain cutscenes.

• Thanks 1

I'm up the 70 hours but only HR 12. Don't care, loving every moment. :bouncy:

Don't understand the complaints about multiplayer either. I've been able to do every quest with my partner, even story ones. We just made a squad and make sure we're always in the same session. 

I played the MH on the Wii and thought it was overly complicated, but absolutely adore this one. Also don't understand disliking movement whilst drinking potions, you barely move.

• Thanks 1

I reached HR70 yesterday evening. I haven't really been going for any new armour or weapons, i've just been doing random quests with strangers. One thing I have noticed is just how few people actually use flash bombs in this game. The things come in super handy for most of the monster fights, especially the Elder Dragons, yet people just don't bring them on quests. People will spend time changing their callouts to things that they think are funny ( they really aren't ) but they won't spend the time to harvest and craft things that will actually be useful on the quests 

I was doing a quest last night that had us fight an Azure Rathlos and Pink Rathian in the arena. I done this quest previously, with a rare group who did actually prepare for the fight. We kept both of them grounded with flash bombs for most of the fight, killing them before the Dragonator was even ready. When I ran it later, I was the only one to bring flashes and the quest took ages, with one guy dying 2 times in a row and then refusing to come back in the area to help, probably because he was scared he would die a 3rd time.

At around 110 hours played, i'm still loving the game. I haven't even started faffing about with Augmenting my weapons and armour yet. Speaking of which, I think it's time I had a look at mixing a set up to try and get the best use out out the LS. There look to be a few great builds kicking about now, so I may try and build one of those. I should have enough parts for whatever I decide to do. I have yet to use anything since building the armour and sword that i'm using now and that was ages ago.