NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Beta details.

Some details on the beta popped up via 4gamer

-beta has no character creation. 6 preset male, 6 female, 6 airu
-beta stuff doesn't carry over to the final game obviously
-beta data doesn't save. So if you turn off the game, your character/setting is erased.
-you need to be online for the beta, but you can still do solo hunt while connected.
-you can access the training area
-the beta matching is worldwide. You can set restrictions like language and stuff for you preference
-you can match with your friends by telling your friend your quest number/code.
-features like joining the hunt mid-quest, and kicking out a player is not available in the beta
-If you beat any of the quests in the beta, they give you a facepaint that you can use in the final game

• Like 2

Sooo...anybody up for trying this on Saturday? I'd be happy to go in with you guys. Mainly because you can tell me what the fuck to do :D

I’ll try and get on but I’ve got decorating to do this weekend... gutted!

I’ll make time though I’m sure!

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Ok..so I guess I'll play alone :p

Anyway, you can download the beta now.

I didn't say that I wasn't going to play it, it's just the realisation that it's launching now and well... I've got work most of today and tomorrow, though I could possibly get on for a few hours on Saturday night. :)

Then on Sunday I'll likely be busy but, I could get on for a few hunts at some point. :D

Is this Beta timed in any way or is it available until the game comes out?

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

Is this Beta timed in any way or is it available until the game comes out?

Ends on Tuesday.

Edit: This got lost on the last page:

original.jpg

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 2

Ah see that confused me the first time I saw it. I originally thought it was like the Splatoon test fires and those were the dates/times the beta would be active. Thats better then.

I'm downloading the Beta now, it'll be done before I leave for work so I should be able to play this evening by around 9:30PM maybe 10PM assuming people are still playing by then. :)

I'll likely just be able to play in the evenings as I'll be busy sorting stuff out most of Sunday I reckon but I can probably play at around the same time on Sunday as well. :D

Probably on Monday night as well, seeing as that'll be my last chance for some monster hunting action. :peace:

FUCK, I totally forgot about this.

Think I'll watch Bundesliga and be on after that, so probably around 8.30.

Did the beginner quest. Definitely much better having the game on a big screen. I feel like I can finally give it the time it would need to learn everything properly.

Just got home, hopefully I'll be around just after 10PM. :D

Did the first 2 quests solo and then jumped online (eventually) for the 3rd. Yeah, matchmaking is pretty terrible at the moment but probably not indicative of the final release.

Anyway, the game looks great (the Palicos are so cute in HD :D) but frame rate can take a major hit at times. Saw some serious slowdown when doing the 3rd quest online and a Rathalos decided to crash the party. :hehe: There seems to be quite a few tweaks and new additions to the gameplay this time (most of which just confused me) but otherwise it plays more or less how I’d expect. I went with the good old hammer and was right at home within a few minutes. :cool: 

I like how it recognises your performance online now and displays certain achievements at the end of a game, been wanting to see something like that in MH for a while. Would have preferred a full on stat display showing exactly how each player performed, with stuff like damage percentages etc... but this is better than nothing.

No PS+ for me next year though, so even if I do end up getting this it’d be a single player experience. So yeah, going to have to wait and see what the verdict is for it in that regard before making a decision. :hmm:

• Like 1

Yeah, servers are a bit rough at the moment. I couldn't find a game to join but once I hosted one myself it filled up pretty much instantly. That's probably the best route to take if you want to play multiplayer.

I just finished a quest and carved a plate. I'd better have that kinda luck in the main game. :p 

I was fighting the expert monster earlier and Rathlos swooped in out of nowhere and started clawing it and unleashing fireballs left and right. It was an absolute chaos and I was loving it. :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sooooo epic!

The Charge Blade is still the God of weapons!

Love this game!!!!

This game looks incredible on the Pro.

Finally I get to play Monster Hunter on the big screen again.

Also, no loading screens between areas, finally!!!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lostmario said:

Yeah, by all accounts the game uses the Pro really well. Kinda makes me want one.

While I'm not too bothered about upgrading to any newer systems which would require an entire TV upgrade to get the most out of, it's good that there are noticable improvements available for setups which allow it; personally I thought the game looked very nice indeed at even 1080p as it's such a leap forward for the series. :D

As for the gameplay, well I was pleasantly surprised to find that it plays just like Monster Hunter but even better than ever thanks to the numerous improvements which have been needed for some time, most notably the more open area feel which creates features massive, cohesive maps which feel even bigger due to not being held back on a technical level as with previous games which required the areas to be on seperate screens... it's something fans of the series have just had to deal with until now, even though I will probably miss diving between screens when at low health and there's a fireball coming directly at you which you would have been able to dodge by changing areas, also allowing you to heal before rushing back in. :p

Being able to get back to base camp easily is nice, I suppose that's just like having a Farcaster always at your disposal though I'm not sure if it works when you're in battle? I didn't use it myself but I do know that it's there.

I've completed all three quests solo anyway... I think that's all you can really do for the extra items which carry over into the main game? Obviously I could go off and look for the Rathalos  which I might well do as I saw a video where a team of hunters went after it, killed the Rathalos with minutes to spare and then went after the main monster, finishing it off just in time as well; it all looked suitably epic just as is the tradition now with these kinds of hunts when you have a team who know what they're doing. :)

Role on JANUARY 26th as I'm sure that I'll be playing a lot of Monster Hunter World when it releases. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G
JANUARY
  • Like 1

June, @S.C.G? :D 

Ive been fighting Diablos with some random people. It's a toughie to bring down as the equipment you have isn't really up to scratch for the fight. Gonna see if I can bring him down before the beta is over.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

June, @S.C.G? :D

I obviously still can't get over the fact that it's coming out so soon! :p

In related news, during my clearout of games, I finally found my long lost copy of the original Monster Hunter on PS2... I think I'll give it a play sometime soon. :D

I've taken down 2 ( Los and the muddy Ples ) of the 3 extra/hidden monsters now. Still not managed to beat Blos, though. 

11 hours ago, lostmario said:

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, by all accounts the game uses the Pro really well. Kinda makes me want one.

Oh man, now I’ve got a 4K TV there’s a huge part of me that’s dying to order the special edition PS4 Pro for this!

...but with the amount of time I game these days (not much) I don’t think I can justify it...

Anyhoo, this game makes me want to weep, I’m sooooo happy with it!

Edited by Kav

I have enjoyed this beta so much. It’s giving me that “I need moar” vibe and seeping into my dreams. It’s fun to play and fun to watch and has me wishing away the next 40+ days so I can play more.