NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter World (PS4)

A few new bits of news.

Firstly, the amount of people allowed into a town has gone from 4 up to 16! This is a massive improvement and one that has been needed ever since they scaled back the town hub from 8 people on the PS2 to 4 on the PSP/Wii/3DS versions.

Secondly, if you want to revert your weapon back to its previous form you will now get materials back when doing this.

Lastly, it seems that charms can now be created and upgraded using materials. Rather than relying on the RNG to spit out a decent one, you will now be able to create the type you want from scratch and then upgrade it to how you want it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few new bits of news.
Firstly, the amount of people allowed into a town has gone from 4 up to 16! This is a massive improvement and one that has been needed ever since they scaled back the town hub from 8 people on the PS2 to 4 on the PSP/Wii/3DS versions.
Secondly, if you want to revert your weapon back to its previous form you will now get materials back when doing this.
Lastly, it seems that charms can now be created and upgraded using materials. Rather than relying on the RNG to spit out a decent one, you will now be able to create the type you want from scratch and then upgrade it to how you want it.

Excellent quality of life improvements. There is enough content in these games to not artificially stretch it out

Beta coming Dec. 9th; you can play as Aloy (from Horizon Zero Dawn), exclusively on PlayStation.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blade said:

I assume everyone will be up for trying the beta?

Oh god yes!

25 minutes ago, Blade said:

I assume everyone will be up for trying the beta?

Nah. Looks garbage. Not my type of game at all.

• Haha 2

Oooh Beta, looking forward to playing Monster Hunter on the big screen again, it's been so long!

• Like 2

Having only played MH3U on 3DS to any large degree, reading about World sounds pretty cool. It sounds like they've addressed most of the bits of the game that felt outdated to bring it into the modern era. Couldn't be happier that it's departed handheld and coming to big consoles now.

Saw this quote as well on Eurogamer by a staff member who has played 10 hours of World:

Capcom's refitting of one of its signature series is at once streamlined and expanded, and it'd take a calamity between now and its release next January to prevent this from being the very best Monster Hunter yet.

Think this might be something special.

• Like 1

Pretty much agiven but it's good to hear this regardless. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it would be great if they didnt follow their SFV approach for sure. That was a full price game with a free to play dlc system...

Every part of me wants to buy this, but I know it's a waste of time and money as I'll never get to play it as much as I want and need to.

I'd love it or a MH game to come to switch so I can enjoy it, but I hope this sells great guns and the lack of portability doesn't hinder it.

12 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Every part of me wants to buy this, but I know it's a waste of time and money as I'll never get to play it as much as I want and need to.

I'd love it or a MH game to come to switch so I can enjoy it, but I hope this sells great guns and the lack of portability doesn't hinder it.

It shouldn't, I mean the series started as a console game. If anything i'd argue the series going to a handheld hindered it in many ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It shouldn't, I mean the series started as a console game. If anything i'd argue the series going to a handheld hindered it in many ways.

True, but then it has become a portable lead series; in the West, it's mainly about getting together with your friends in the same room, Capcom holding monthly events etc, so it will lose a certain social side to it.

But then perhaps the series can evolve once again and the enhanced online capabilities will be just as big a benefit to it. I certainly hope so, if there was some sort of PS4/Vita option like the Switch I'd be all over it!

1 minute ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

True, but then it has become a portable lead series; in the West, it's mainly about getting together with your friends in the same room, Capcom holding monthly events etc, so it will lose a certain social side to it.

But then perhaps the series can evolve once again and the enhanced online capabilities will be just as big a benefit to it. I certainly hope so, if there was some sort of PS4/Vita option like the Switch I'd be all over it!

I just hated how the handheld market became the main focus for the series. It held the game back for years, as did it being on Nintendo platforms. With World it seems Capcom could be delivering the game that I and many other fans imagined it could be ever since the series was rumoured to be hitting the PS3. Being able to play it online, with party chat native to the device being used, is something i've waited a LONG time for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I just hated how the handheld market became the main focus for the series. It held the game back for years, as did it being on Nintendo platforms. With World it seems Capcom could be delivering the game that I and many other fans imagined it could be ever since the series was rumoured to be hitting the PS3. Being able to play it online, with party chat native to the device being used, is something i've waited a LONG time for.

True, I think you need a change of platform/technical specs to evolve a series, even revolutionise it! 

From a selfish POV I wish I would be able to play it (I'll probably be looking for deals on it after a few months, when it's £30 I might try and snap it up) and be able to plough the time into it on Switch that I know I could.

On the flip side, in my heart of hearts after 400+ hours on 3U and 300+ on 4U, Generations wasn't quite what I hoped and felt like quests for quests sake, so a shake up is definitely needed which this looks like it will deliver.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

On the flip side, in my heart of hearts after 400+ hours on 3U and 300+ on 4U, Generations wasn't quite what I hoped and felt like quests for quests sake, so a shake up is definitely needed which this looks like it will deliver.

Yeah, Generations was pretty much when I felt that changes needed to be made. It was far too easy for veterans and it got boring really quickly. Still, it wouldn't have stopped me from buying XX if it had arrived on these shores but World does look like the shake up the series really needed.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, Generations was pretty much when I felt that changes needed to be made. It was far too easy for veterans and it got boring really quickly. Still, it wouldn't have stopped me from buying XX if it had arrived on these shores but World does look like the shake up the series really needed.

Yeah three of my friends pre ordered Switch's (still in short supply when they did) when XX was announced in Japan anticipating a release over here; they cancelled them as soon as we found out it wasn't coming this way

I don't often go in for betas or demo's...

...but when I do, it's for a Monster Hunter title. :D

• Like 1

Looks like a clan system is in the game.

The Tavern: “Star’s Ship”

“Star’s Ship” is a tavern that exists on the deck of a ship, and the Gathering Hub where up to 16 players can gather and intermingle. It is the optimal place to communicate with hunters and set up hunting appointments. You can even enjoy things such as arm-wrestling with other hunters. Each facility in the Gathering Hub can also be used offline, with some exceptions.

Things to do at the Tavern

• Arena Counter / Quest Counter: Take on various quests. Particupate in Arena quests.
  • Circle Management: A reception counter for the management of your in-game communities.
  • Announcement Board: Check login bonuses and other topics.
  • Canteen / My House / Gathering Hub Goods Supply Officer

Quest Counter

Quests have various objectives, such as hunting monsters. In Monster Hunter: World, you can freely choose which quest to take on, and the amount increases as you progress the story through “missions.” When you unlock the Gathering Hub, you can enjoy most quests (excluding specific quests) in either single or multiplayer.

By clearing missions, the story will progress, facilities at the Research Commission HQ will unlock, and the extent of which you can go on expeditions will increase.

“Free Quests” are quests that you can take on as many times as you like, and the amount increases by meeting specific requirements, such as clearing requests from staff members at the Research Commission HQ or characters who support the members of the Research Commission. Additionally, “Research Quests,” limited time event quests, and more are being prepared.

“Quests” and “expeditions” can be enjoyed by up to four players from the 16 players in the Gathering Hub in online multiplayer. Many quests and expeditions can be dropped into at any time. However, when dropping in a certain amount of time after a quest has already begun, it will not be treated as a clear and you will not be able to earn the quest reward. However, the materials you get from fighting monsters and such can still be obtained. Parts destruction rewards and the like can also be obtained by meeting certain conditions.

“Arena Quests” have limited time “Challenge Quests” in Monster Hunter: World. Since Challenge Quests are reflected on the world ranking, you can compete with other hunters around the world for the best time.

Circle Management

An in-game community invitation system called “Circles” has been implemented in Monster Hunter: World.

Circle Key Points

• A Gathering Hub usable by Circle members is available
  • You can be a member of up to eight Circles
  • A Circle can have up to 50 people
  • Identifiable messages can be created among Circle members

Circle Formation

You can set the Circle name, symbol icon, messages, etc. yourself to form a Circle all your own, and paritcipate in Circles with the same goals. Circle members have icons before their character names (only in the Gathering Hub), and the Circle’s icon and name is displayed on their Guild Cards.

• Thanks 2