NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Looks like the rumours of this being a spin off are bogus. This looks to very much be the next step in the Monster Hunter series.

DCKgqJPV0AAgCjc.jpg:large

• For new people coming in, here's a recap of info that has been shared so far by Capcom employees who have worked on/with Monster Hunter.
  • A 4:56 video that shows a bit more extended footage of the things we've already seen.
  • Monster Hunter: World is not a spin-off.
  • Monster Hunter: World was worked on by the main development team in Japan.
  • You can play offline.
  • Fishing, mining, and capturing bugs still in the game.
  • All 14 weapon types confirmed in the game.
  • Tails still cuttable.
  • Hunt, Carve, Forge loop is still there.
  • Still has the same rewarding and challenging gameplay.
  • Health, stamina, potions, sharpness still present.
  • Sound still plays after making a good well done steak.
  • Targeting locked 30FPS across all platforms (referring to console).
  • The game uses the MT Framework. Maybe PC as well, weird wording in this one.
  • Insect Glaive will be in the game.
  • When asked about Hunter Arts, response was "Brand new title. Brand new gameplay systems in place!"
  • Separate maps, but zones are gone!
  • More clarification on maps/zones: "It's not open world game, but all the maps are massive and wide open, without any loading screens :)"
  • Charge Blade is in, Tonfa is not.
  • No underwater combat.
  • No Prowler Mode in Monster Hunter World.
  • Palicoes are in the game.
  • In-game voice chat is supported.
  • You can either choose to sneak past small monsters to avoid fighting them, or kill them to collect/loot their bodies. The world is "hella flexible."
  • Gestures will be present in Monster Hunter: World.
  • They are completely focused on World for the western markets, and Monster Hunter: World is once again confirmed as the next main title in the series.
  • After being asked if there will be a Monster Hunter 5 or a game for the Japanese audiences, they reply was: "This is the next generation of Monster Hunter!"
  • You can both do drop-in/drop-out co-op, or form a pre-hunt party in Monster Hunter: World.
  • Multiplayer is online-only, there is no local co-op.
  • Monsters will not have health bars, but damage numbers will appear.
  • Monster Hunter World is confirmed to NOT have regenerating health. I guess there was a rumor going around about this?

Sorry for late reply, it's a private demo you can sign up for at E3. Four developers from Japan playing the game unscripted (they were unable to defeat Rathalos lol).

• Started demo off with just one hunter, he tracked the new monster with "scout flies" ...
  • when the battle got rough, he led the new monster to Rathalos Nest very high up in the environment.
  • Rathalos was pissed to see the hunter and the monster creeping into his lair and preceded to wreck everything.
  • Great animations of the monsters fighting each other. The lone hunter sends signal flare and 3 other devs join mid battle.
  • Lots of vertical combat, more than MH4. Seems all hunters have a grappling hook.
  • The monsters interactions with each other was very cool, they encountered 3 different large monsters during demo.
  • One of them ate an herbivore whole lol.
  • The rapid fire on the heavy bowgun is a special ability.
  • The combat looks and feels like traditional monster hunter with quality of life improvements.
  • Day and night cycle is realtime, Rathalos destroyed a dam which cause an area to flood. Sweeping 2 of the hunters out of the area.
  • I really like that they went back to a more prehistoric feeling and mood to the game.
  • The fours hunters fighting together looked awesome, Rathalos has many new attacks, throws and animations.
  • The bow has a nice new attack which drops small bombs on top of the monsters.
  • I think they finally updated the Rathalos model haha.
  • I wish it was a bit more stylized, but the Graphics look great.

• Starts by showing extended trailer I think?, notes no loading screens between areas but it's not a fully connected open world.
  • Ryozo (Capcom) wants to note 'living breathing world', monsters all have intelligent AI and desires/interactions, world going on around you and you can use their interactions to your advantage.
  • Interviewer asks about stealth sequence we saw - Ryozo notes there are new suit items like mantles, new one from the trailer, cannot have on all the time, has a cooldown. Also opposite which lets you lure monsters towards you.
  • Interviewer asks how multiplayer is being approached - Ryozo notes previously it was 4 player, going to hub, questing, etc. New game will include drop-in multiplayer via shooting up flair part way through quest (same as in trailer).
  • Interviewer asks whether hunter lounges will exist - Ryozo confirms 'of course'.
  • Interviewer asked about joined servers (related to global presumably) - Ryozo notes that yes, all servers merged into one, everyone will play together, simultaneous launch as well.
  • Interviewer asks about any new tweaks to combat system - Ryozo wants to assure everyone all 14 weapons are in, they know hunting is core gameplay, not removing anything, building on base from previous titles. Goes on to talk about 'slinger' (grappling hook item), can also pick up rocks and use slinger to launch rocks around.
  • Interviewer makes joke about meat on the spit.

All of this sounds....:yay::heart::bowdown::bouncy:

• Thanks 1

No local co op...:(

It's honestly great that they are moving the series forward like this and I may even pick it up on Xbox but I won't be able to plough any time into at all...fair play to Sony for splashing the cash!

A few more details have surfaced.

• Using a potions doesn't make your character stop.
  • Hunters can change weapons and armor midhunt by going to the Base Camp.
  • This feature was added due to there usually being multiple large monsters in an area and from each having a different strength or weakness.

Changing weapons and armour mid quest....:o

DCMZpUeV0AAioDi.jpg:orig

DCLns_oVYAAmXI9.jpg:orig

DCLnw23V0AQX1XW.jpg:orig

DCLnzloVoAAKWCZ.jpg:orig

DCLnua9VYAAOKBb.jpg:orig

1013.jpg

195.jpg

I'm not happy with the changes made here so far, especially after hearing that You don't need to stop moving to use potions anymore. That's so broken! Where's the risk/reward that makes MonHun, well... MonHun!?

And what's the point of stealth in a MonHun game!? Why would you ever use it!? It's meant to be an arena fighter FFS!

I do like how interactive the environments seem to be though, and the grappling hook looks really cool. But I'm very much mixed about this game overall.

Also, no local multiplayer is a massive bummer. Do hope that the rumour pans out fully and we still get traditional MH games on Switch; I'd be terribly sad to see us lose traditional MonHun and local multiplayer for good.

So, using a potion comes with no risk what-so-ever?

Uh-huh...

Hunters can change weapons and armor midhunt by going to the Base Camp.

This feature was added due to there usually being multiple large monsters in an area and from each having a different strength or weakness.

So, I just imagined that quest in Generations where you had to fight the 4 new monsters in one area? Weird, it was so vivid and tense...

I'm not buying that one, this smacks of simplifying Monster Hunter for the west.

Edited by Glen-i

I have absolutely no sympathy for the loss of a Switch version in the west. :heh: It looks like MH is returning home and much for the better. This game could really be something!

• Like 1

I have absolutely no sympathy for the loss of a Switch version in the west. :heh: It looks like MH is returning home and much for the better. This game could really be something!

Being pleased that there are less games for people to play is not a good look.

Holy shit!!! This is my most anticipated game after that info-dump!

Being pleased that there are less games for people to play is not a good look.

Now you just look silly for reaching the wrong conclusion.

I've no sympathy for a cross format because as has often been the case, these games tend to be gimped to the lowest hardware format supported. In terms of the other version, I don't see MH being as big a deal in the west so I can fully understand why they would want to focus on one version over here. I also think it would be fairly wicked for people to all get behind one game and unite the communities on here!

The omissions or changes being complained about also sound fairly trivial. I can think of games with instant healing (Zelda BotW, Phantasy Star Online) that limit the amount of healing items you can carry and still allow you to be one shot fairly easily so that healing doesn't break the game.

Edited by Sheikah

Also, no local multiplayer is a massive bummer. Do hope that the rumour pans out fully and we still get traditional MH games on Switch; I'd be terribly sad to see us lose traditional MonHun and local multiplayer for good.

Taking the series back to it's roots, baby! :D

I don't think we will lose the traditional series but I think there could be cause for concern as to whether they will get brought over to the West. I can't see Nintendo wanting to localise it if there is another version out of the game on other consoles. If the next gen MH does happen to break the Western market and sell well then Capcom will have no reason to bring over the other version.

Extended gameplay.

Some of the monsters lol. Check out the one with the big appetite...

I'm not happy with the changes made here so far, especially after hearing that You don't need to stop moving to use potions anymore. That's so broken! Where's the risk/reward that makes MonHun, well... MonHun!?

After playing Horizon I say do away with some of these tropes. Lots of RPG have silly time wasting mechanisms. If the core gameplay is good, its much more important.

Just re reading the info...so this isn't actually an open world game, just no/limited loading times between areas?

That would be a bit of a let down if so, I mean even Switch can do open world games...;)

Just teasing, I'm all for progress so I'm glad to see them shaking this series up and bringing something new to the series, just wish it had local play, I'd even pick up a bloody Vita if it did through that!

God this sounds incredible. Screw my usual 4 day weekend for Monster Hunter, I'm taking a whole week off for this.

@Hero\-of\-Time, you know you want to do the same.

• Like 1

God this sounds incredible. Screw my usual 4 day weekend for Monster Hunter, I'm taking a whole week off for this.

@Hero\-of\-Time, you know you want to do the same.

Yup. A week off work shall be taken and the classic 16 hour a day sessions shall be had.

I was texting Josh all the new details today. Needless to say he was very hyped.

• Like 1

A few more details.

The environment can often help the player, but sometimes it works the other way around. During our viewing of the demonstration, we saw the player get caught in tree roots, which caused him to move slower. He had to push his way through the roots, but monsters can easily dash their way through them and break the environment. So basically, you’ll definitely find yourself in moments where taking the wrong step at the wrong time could mean taking a big hit or being KO’d by a monster.

Without zones, that means monsters won’t take those little shortcuts that lead from one part of the map to the other, but the retreating monster we saw actually managed to break down a whole wall and created its own escape tunnel.

Back to the subject of luring monsters, it looks like it’ll play a big strategic role on how you take on monsters in Monster Hunter: World. There was big fight that had all three monsters attacking each other: the Anjanath was biting the Great Jagras while a Rathalos was swooping down on the Anjanath. Again, since there aren’t any zones, for instances like these you’ll want to lure them out as far as possible to be safe.

Unlike previous Monster Hunter games, both single player and multiplayer modes have the same quest lines. If you’re playing single player you can send a flare to call for help. For example, say you’re having trouble taking down that Rathalos and need help from other players—they’ll get to drop-in at the sign of a flare.

@lostmario no more tedious single player for you. :D

In multiplayer, you’ll get to use pre-set phrases with auto-translate, so that means you’ll get to play with players from Japan without having to worry about too many communication issues. Yes, the game will handle cross-region multiplayer. As far as other communication methods go, there’s in-game voice chat and you can also use a keyboard to chat.

The game just keeps sounding better and better. I really hope they pull this off.

• Like 1

A few more details.

In multiplayer, you’ll get to use pre-set phrases with auto-translate, so that means you’ll get to play with players from Japan without having to worry about too many communication issues. Yes, the game will handle cross-region multiplayer. As far as other communication methods go, there’s in-game voice chat and you can also use a keyboard to chat.

Pffffffffff PSO was doing this 17 years ago.

Pffffffffff PSO was doing this 17 years ago.

Maybe thats why they dont release them outside of Japan now. They clearly thought the chat translations were too much effort to stick into English. :D

It sounds soooooooo good! :D

You know I'll be taking time off for this! @Blade, will you be taking some time off too?

Edited by Kav

I might have to buy this, i went off monster hungter on the 3DS because the multiplayer was so rubbish without communication, this looks like its miles better

@lostmario When is this out, I'm thinking of taking a break from work too!

I'd guess March. Didn't the trailer say Early 2018?

Here are a couple of impressions from people who watched the demo at E3.

The demos were amazing.

I actually watched the theater live demo twice at E3.

The first time they lead the T-rex looking thing (Ansomething) to the Rathalos and the Rathalos freaking picked it up and dropped it off a cliff. The team then just tried to take down the Rathalos but failed in the allocated time.

My second viewing the Rathalos and t-rex kept fighting until they both broke a dam and the water that poured out washed both monsters and the player down the cliff. The two monsters continued fighting each other until the trex got really hurt and tired and tried to run back to its lair visibly hurt and limping. The team of players then chased it and killed it.

All throughout these monsters where destroying trees and other parts of the environment as they tussled.

The variety in what can happen was just astounding.

T T-rex was the goal of the mission they were on. But in the demo they were obviously purposely taking him by the Rathalos nest to show off the interactions.

But in that one demo you saw 4 unique big species interact and 5 if you count these baby versions of one of them. Because it all starts with this lizard/snake type monster that literally kills and swallows another herbivore type monster whole like a snake.

He then takes it back to his nest to regurgitate it to his pack.

In one of my demos the babies would come out climbing down from the trees and out of bushes sometimes to attack the t-rex that had body slammed their momma on the ground. They got thrown around like the velociraptors in JP when they try to fight the t-rex. The ones that managed to survive then scampered in all directions to flee including up the trunks of trees.

The game sounds so good it could bring my a tear to my eye... this is the direction I've always envisioned Monster Hunter heading in! :D