NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Beyond Good and Evil 2

Journey to System 3, for the prequel to one of Ubisoft’s most beloved games! Fight alongside unforgettable characters in a stunning new solar system, as you struggle for freedom and the right to determine your own fate among the stars. Play the adventure by yourself or with friends in a vast and seamless online playground.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is the spiritual successor to the cult classic, a prequel that will transport players into a profoundly multicultural world, capturing the spirit of the original with grandiose decors and intense dramas that play out across a vast universe. Through the Space Monkey Program, Ubisoft Montpellier will be developing the game alongside its community of fans.

System 3 has become the center of interstellar trade and colonization in the Milky Way of the 24th century, thanks to the creation of Hybrid slaves. While private enterprises fight over resources and power, the first colonists weave together the rich and diverse spiritual and cultural heritages of Old Earth to give meaning to their existence. In this new era of piracy, we will rise from lowly pirate to legendary captain at the helm of massive star-faring vessels, adventuring alongside crews of colorful characters to fight for freedom and the right to determine our own fate among the stars!

Nothing about which platforms the game will launch on.

What's this about shared world?

To be honest I feel like I'm the only one who hated the trailer, that's not bge to me. The swearing was ring inducing, that east London street monkey was cringe inducing.... the world looked amazing though. Ugh. Gutted.

What's this about shared world?

To be honest I feel like I'm the only one who hated the trailer, that's not bge to me. The swearing was ring inducing, that east London street monkey was cringe inducing.... the world looked amazing though. Ugh. Gutted.

Totally agree. What a cunt that monkey was, lol.

I thought that this looked a bit shit. Even before the title reveal came up, I wasn't feeling it.

Hope it isn't shit, but the trailer was pretty crap.

soon as shared online world was mentioned my hype died.

Uurrrrggghhh. The high of e3, and then the low of e3 for me. Hope the online aspect doesn't dominate the game. What a major disappointment it could be.

Can't claim to be too into the dialogue or the voice acting, but as a trailer, and as a way of introducing the world I thought it was great! Baffles me that Nintendo didn't do something similar for Metroid (ie CGI trailer to give a flavour of the game).

People in general across the internet seem hyped for this even though there is a general acknowledgement that very little is there game wise. I couldn't less interested if I tried this is not Beyond Good and Evil!

It may not be exactly BGE but I loved the trailer for this, taking the animal concept but rather than making another cartoon style game they've made it quite gritty and realistic which I do think is an interesting take.

Can't judge the game yet as we've not seen it!

You can kinda tell it won't get a Switch release though, the lack of raw horsepower makes more realistic graphical styles a challenge imo.

Not a fan of the drip feed of information this far out from a game's release. Hoping it goes quiet - and I mean, dead silent - soon...

Staff combat and ship manoeuvres gameplay:

Information revealed during the stream:

• 120 developers are currently working on the game at Ubisoft Montpelier. They’re starting to work together with their Sofia, Barcelona and Bordeaux branches for additional manpower.

• The game will appear at this year’s E3, with surprises in store.

Spoiler

In 2040 the new engine which allows space colonization is invented. In 2063 a crisis affects all networks on earth, as AI turns against humanity, which reverts to more reliable ways of communication. 2086 sees the creation of the first hybrid. Hybrids are the manpower behind space colonization. They have both human and animal DNA. In 2108 humanity finally leaves earth. Different expeditions are named after simple sequential numbers, and they lose contact with Earth when they leave. Beyond Good and Evil 2 is set in the system discovered by Expedition 3.

In 2223 Ganesha City is founded in System 3. While the game sticks to this one solar system, there will be also “surrounding surprises” according to Michel Ancel. The team doesn’t want to create millions of planets, but planets that have a meaning and a story. Ganesha city has been named like that because when you look at its planet, you’ll see a shape similar to the Indian sub-continent.

In 2314 a massive starship is attacked and its crew is exterminated. It’s the start of many mysterious events. In 2360 System 3 has become so rich that pirates start to prosper as well. The system enters a golden age of piracy.

At a following unknown date, Jade is born during a dark age for the system. This is before the start of Beyond Good and Evil 2.

The world is behind created both for people who want to play solo, and for those who enjoy co-op.

In space, there is a strange gate that both scares and attracts the player. Hybrids think that they can find new life behind it. No one knows what it really is, so there are several legends surrounding it, and a giant spaceship graveyard.

Players will be able to create their own captain, you can be human, hybrid, male, female or “different genders”. The system is very open, and you can recruit characters and even enemies to be part of your crew. Crew members all have a role like medic or spy. They expand your abilities to explore and discover you more places.

There will be main crew members, but you have a huge spaceship that can actually be home to many companions, letting you become a “space pirate legend.”

Combat can transition dynamically between spaceships and foot combat thanks to jetpacks. You can transition into space or cities while battles are still ongoing.

Asked whether there will be brothels in the game, Ancel shared that there are plenty of “dark places” that are part of the pirate way of life. It’s a mature game, after all. There is a Space Tortuga Island where pirates can gather and spend their money.

While the game won’t explain the ending of the firstBeyond Good and Evil, since it’s a prequel, most of the mysteries in the first game will be explained in some way. Players will also better understand the origins of Jade and of the hybrids. Those who have never played the first game shouldn’t worry, as they will discover the world naturally without needing to go back.

The idea of the camera from the first game is still included in the new one, but since the player doesn’t play a journalist anymore, it has been turned into a spyglass. You can take pictures with it, scan the surroundings, and “all sorts of things.” It’s a powerful tool to explore the world.

You can be good or evil, and there are different ways to reach the same objective. This is part of the DNA of the game. You have the freedom to work for the corporations if you want.

Last, but not least, there will be connections with other systems, for reasons that will be explained in the game.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 1

So with this not being at E3, the devs have just finished up the latest Space Monkey Program stream for the game and there really wasn't a huge amount to show. A lot of concept art with background story being given for how the game will supposedly start (you're a clone that's rescued by a space pirate, you then get initiated and become one yourself and that's pretty much the sound of it) but that's it. There was a rumour of a beta for the fall this year but with virtually no new gameplay or in game footage, you have to wonder whether that'll come to fruition or not.

The game seems to be in a strange place. There seems to be multiple teams working on it but they're still not ready to show anything substantial beyond small contain snippets. And with recent comments from Yves Guillemot saying that they're discussing with Ancel about which way to take the game, I wonder of they're pulling back a bit to make it a next gen game at this point rather than for current consoles. I just don't see them hitting a release till when the next gen hardware is set to land so maybe that's the discussion they're having internally at Ubisoft.

The passion is there and working with HitRecord is creating some great pieces of artwork and music for the game but I do wonder whether they're overstretching with what the game is going to be, especially as a prequel to a single player adventure game. I just hope they aren't forgetting their roots in that. It doesn't seem so when they talk about bringing back Mammago and the rhinos but it's whether the whole experience matches up to the original that I worry about the longer it goes on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Not totally unexpected that this would have hit a brick wall once Ancel left. I know there's been the Space Monkey Program, but for people who have just seen the game turn up at E3's (such as myself), so far this game isn't much more than a bunch of great CGI trailers. 

Which is a massive shame, because I know the first game has a pretty noticeably sized fan base. Let's hope someone can step in and right the ship :peace:

It's hard not to be cynical about Ubisoft's modern reputation for generic open world games when you seen news like this.

Hopefully it eventually gets reworked and becomes something that resembles the original game, instead of the online coop looter shooter Destiny clone that was planned.

• Like 1

I wonder what the devs are even working on, it must be a nightmare project to work on if there's no direction.

Called this out as vapourware the second that E3 demo dropped. You could tell they never had any idea what the game was. Shame, but unsurprising.

Good riddance to it if it is cancelled, always thought it looked like shit from the trailer/teaser thing. That chimp should win an award for most detestable/abrasive personality for a video game character. If the teaser had ended with him being domed that would have elevated this game to top tier for me.

• Haha 2

Emile Morel, the creative director for Beyond Good & Evil 2, has passed away suddenly at the age of 40. 

Per IGN:

emil-morel-1688585649766.png?width=1200

Emile Morel, a Ubisoft game designer and creative director for Beyond Good and Evil 2, has passed away at age 40.

The announcement was originally spotted by IGN on LinkedIn, where two individuals that worked with Morel made tributes on the website.

"A cherished colleague for over a decade at Ubisoft Montpellier, we laughed and wept through good times and bad, and shipped a lot great games together," Morel's former colleague M. Gabrielle Shrager wrote on LinkedIn. "Emile was so very proud of Beyond Good and Evil 2, the Space Monkeys and his teammates. He will be sorely missed."

Looking at his mobygames page, he also notably served as the lead game designer for 2013's Rayman Legends at Ubisoft, as well as being a lead designer for 2008's Alone in the Dark at Eden Games. 

RIP. 

• Sad 2

Sign in to follow this