NEurope
Ronnie

The Last Night

Can't believe no thread on this, for me this was one of the major highlights of the Microsoft conference.

Looks absolutely stunning, what an incredible art style.

I really really hope it comes to PS4/Switch soon

Artstyle looks amazing, but I'm highly suspicious of the developpers since I was directly sent an e-mail from them about this game, and can't remember signing up for any newsletters of Odd Tales. Have they done any other games I may know? I can't find much info regarding other games.

Edited by Sméagol

Lots of controversy over the dev making this at the moment. People are boycotting it due to his Gamergate opinions.

Lots of controversy over the dev making this at the moment. People are boycotting it due to his Gamergate opinions.

Yeah, I was reading about this today. Shocking stuff.

Apparently the guy just appeared on the PC conference and addressed the Gamergate stuff and explained a bit more about the game. Reactions I've seen so far seem to be people being even more put off, especially from this description:

It's set in a dystopian future where feminism and progressivism win.

Such a shame, visually it looks terrific. Will be interested to read reviews & analysis of the final product though. Reading it's synopsis there is potential for some interesting stories if it's ideas are sufficiently explored but his previously expressed views definitely throw up some red flags around the concept.

The Last Night is what we call post-cyberpunk – it’s not the kind of dystopia the genre is famous for, rather it depicts an alternate direction for society. One where the fight for survival doesn’t mean food and water, but a purpose for living. Human labour and creativity has been rendered obsolete by AI, so people are now defining themselves by what they consume, not what they create. Charlie is a lower-class citizen who can’t interface with the systems and augmentations of the world around him, due to an accident during his childhood. He’s a citizen of the thriving metropolis and yet he’ll never be a part of it. Then, a chance encounter offers him the chance to be part of something else and take matters into his own hands