NEurope
Happenstance

Anthem (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

New Bioware IP. Obviously looks very Destiny like but I'm definitely interested.

I'm very interested in this. Never got into Destiny, but this looks a lot like Avatar's Pandora being scouted by Iron Man.

Probably my second most anticipated new E3 game so far (still got the rest of the week to go though!).

Looks pretty spectacular from a technical POV, though I'm sure the final game won't look anywhere near as good on a regular PS4/XBO.

Looks great fun though, if it can be played single player I'll definitely pick it up. Fingers crossed.

Saw this on The Know the other day.  They were saying this could spell the end for Bioware if this game fails, they've already lost 1 studio due to Andromeda.

1 hour ago, Jimbob said:

Saw this on The Know the other day.  They were saying this could spell the end for Bioware if this game fails, they've already lost 1 studio due to Andromeda.

I think that’s absolutely a possibility, especially when we consider what EA did with Visceral only a few months ago. Honestly, after the response to Battlefront II’s loot crate system, I think that the future of Anthem - and consequently, BioWare - could almost entirely depend on whether or not EA pushes a similar agenda here with regards to microtransactions and the like. 

Why this wasn’t retooled from a new IP into something of a guaranteed success with the Star Wars license I’m not sure. BioWare has been sliding a bit as of late, in my opinion, and I hope that EA’s shareholders aren’t the major hurdle that they have to overcome when this game releases. 

So this has been officially delayed to next year now. Not a surprise as with very little being shown I found it hard to believe that they'd make it for a Fall release this year. Not to mention as well that even from the wording from EA that it seems a lot is riding on this for BioWare as it seems that most, if not all, staff there are actively involved in the development of Anthem. Not sure what that means for the next Dragon Age title as it wasn't mentioned at all in their latest earnings report.

I don't doubt that the atmosphere at BioWare at this time is horrible, coming off of the back of the backlash to ME: Andromeda you'd expect morale to be low but if they really are hedging their bets on Anthem it looks like it could be a make or break situation. I think a lot will come down to how they get their message across for the game and how they differentiate themselves from the likes of Destiny, which has obviously had a bumpy ride the last couple of months for how they've been tweaking XP gains and limiting rewards to repeated activities and such. But a lot will also come down to whether the game can and will have the content to keep people's attention and whether it's of a quality to warrant that.

We've not seem enough to make a real judgment on that but I didn't come away from the unveil being impressed with what we saw. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out and how much they'll show over the next year. Will it just be a small outing at E3 with the promise of more to come later or will they start a slow build up from GamesCom onwards.

Widely loved and praised EA CFO Blake Jorgensen has revealed that the game will be released March 2019:

In the case of Anthem, the real issue is, the game will be shipped in the last quarter of the year and in the last month of that quarter, meaning we’ll probably have limited restocking of the title, even if it’s extremely successful. Since it is new IP, we’re being conservative in how we’re thinking about it. We’re very excited about the game. It’s extremely unique, and I think players are going to really enjoy playing it, but we’re careful not to put too large of a forecast in there. And clearly, it will impact this year as well as next year as we not only continue to sell more into the next year but start rolling out the live services associated with that game.

EA’s CEO, the also widely loved and praised Andrew Wilson, earlier this year hinted that the game would have some form of early access release:

Later in the fiscal year, we will launch our stunning and ambitious new IP, Anthem. Every dimension of this game will offer something entirely new for a wide audience of players. From a new universe with unique stories that BioWare is creating to the cooperative gameplay to the epic and beautiful environment that constantly evolves around players, Anthem is a fundamentally social experience and will open new ways for fans to join the community and play early, enabling us to shape and refine the game with their input and feedback. We’re deeply excited to launch this brand new franchise and equally excited to work with our players to make Anthem a game they can’t wait to play and share with their friends for years to come.

Thank the gods of gaming that Electronic Arts is the one putting out this game. They’d never take advantage of consumers, and would never be willing to rob us in broad daylight. 

:cheeky:

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Haha 1

Confirmed to be the game’s box art.

It looks very much like a 70’s/80’s sci-fi movie poster to me, but it’s not that interesting. It seems more colourful than the relatively desaturated look we got last year, but it seems pretty empty, and there’s not much shown to get excited about ::shrug: we’ve seen all of it before.

Coming February 22nd. Wonder if Sony will move Days Gone? I mean, they’re drastically different games so I don’t think it will effect it too much, but I can’t see Sony having delayed this game so many times only to send it out to die.

Full gameplay demo and trailer:

Game Informer has some exclusive coverage coming up. 

They also have interviews with Casey Hudson and some of the other members of the team.

They also have a forty minute video with exclusive impressions of Anthem from their visit to Bioware. 

• Thanks 2

Cheers for those links, I'll have a watch of a few of them.

Really excited for this and I thought it looked great (though I hate the whole 'numbers flying out of baddies you're shotting' thing). My only fear is how it'll treat single players. I'm really not a mulitplayer gamer. Hopefully there'll be a way of matchmaking with randomers if mulitplayer is mandatory.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Cheers for those links, I'll have a watch of a few of them.

Really excited for this and I thought it looked great (though I hate the whole 'numbers flying out of baddies you're shotting' thing). My only fear is how it'll treat single players. I'm really not a mulitplayer gamer. Hopefully there'll be a way of matchmaking with randomers if mulitplayer is mandatory.

No problem :) 

And visually, I think it looks superb. I have a feeling it’s going to really push some more gamers (maybe even myself) to make the upgrade to a Pro/X, because I do have some concerns about how it might run on the base PS4 and XBO models.

And no kidding about the numbers (did I also see like a dozen ‘COMBO’s come up at one point?), which seem far larger than they need to be. I actually think that they might be large enough at this point to negate the player’s ability to aim at the enemy, so it might be something worth looking into for them. The size and font of the numbers (and words?), at least from the few minutes I saw, seemed very arcade-like, which is in stark contrast to the tone that they seem to actually be going for ::shrug: oh well, plenty of time left for them to figure out those little kinks.

2 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

No problem :) 

And visually, I think it looks superb. I have a feeling it’s going to really push some more gamers (maybe even myself) to make the upgrade to a Pro/X, because I do have some concerns about how it might run on the base PS4 and XBO models.

And no kidding about the numbers (did I also see like a dozen ‘COMBO’s come up at one point?), which seem far larger than they need to be. I actually think that they might be large enough at this point to negate the player’s ability to aim at the enemy, so it might be something worth looking into for them. The size and font of the numbers (and words?), at least from the few minutes I saw, seemed very arcade-like, which is in stark contrast to the tone that they seem to actually be going for ::shrug: oh well, plenty of time left for them to figure out those little kinks.

Hopefully something that can be switched off. It seems like a really JRPG thing to do. Oh well.

IGN Live have a feature/interview on Anthem in 10 minutes

Whilst I like the look of this game I think that press conference showing was really poor and hasn't hyped me up at all.

The music in the trailer didn't work for me - it seems like they tried to sync it up with gunshots and explosions but in the end they just ended up bastardising a great song. They then had the Q&A which I wasn't a fan of. They talked about how there were four different javelins but then only discussed the scout and colossus which seemed really weird. I think they should have just focused on one aspect of the game rather than trying to talk about lots of different things and in the end not really saying anything at all.

Maybe we'll see more of it on Xbox's stage like we did last year. Hopefully a better demo. Reading up on it and hearing impressions from the likes of Game Informer and IGN, they're very positive about it. I just think it didn't demo particularly well. The constant cuts didn't help either.

I trust the A team at Bioware to give us a fantastic world and a great story.

My main fear right now is that EA are telling Bioware to rush development and have it out Q1 2019 to meet their fiscal year projections. End result is a skeleton of a game at launch, that gets better over time. Things like the devs saying "no PvP at launch" "no romance options at launch but if people ask for it we can add it later" lead me to think that.

Edited by Ronnie

Not my kind of thing, but hella impressive.

I love this artwork though:

anthem-boxart.jpg

• Like 1

The game's look and branding has definitely gotten a lot more colourful since last year's reveal

holackorainv3-1600.jpg

wilfenhahanv1-1600.jpg

paqueridezv2-1600.jpg

bordgenscv4-1600.jpg