NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Life is Strange: Before The Storm (PC/XBO/PS4)

Looking forward to this. I'll definitely wait until all episodes are out before I jump into it. Curious to see what the mechanics of the game are going to be, considering it's focusing on Chloe and Rachel.

- A 3 ep prequel series, set a few years before the events of season 1

- This is separate from season 2

- Not made by Dontnod, but by Deck Nine (?)

- Ashly Burch won't do the voice (Chloe is younger), but will be involved with the writing, funnily enough.

- The story of Chloe and Rachel, though it won't end with the start of season 1

- No supernatural powers, so just regular point & click adventuring

- The deluxe edition will include a small bonus episode in additon to the regular 3, where you can play as Max (also a few years back, I assume during the time where she and Chloe were separated)

I'm not sure how I feel about this being handled by a different team, though having Ashly Burch helping out should have a positive influence.

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/announcing-life-strange-storm

Will be putting down my Pre-order for the deluxe version in the coming days, can't wait to be back in that universe. Hopefully, despite a different developer, having Ashly Birch on board for the writing will help to bring a strong story and portrayal of the characters to the table. With no powers this time around, the writing will need to be on point to make it engaging. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic for seeing how it all turns out, hoping for something good to close this chapter in the Life is Strange universe.

Going to play this whether good or bad. The original season was a haunting if flawed delight and I'm going to want in on the conversation for this. I'd be entirely happy if it didn't any of the time mechanics so long as the characters were all explored properly in relation to the main series. Sounds like they've got some talent on this, so I'm quietly hopeful.

PS. Note to self: Buy some Daughter albums.

Edited by gaggle64

Looking forward to this a lot, but I think I will wait a while in case they make a physical version.

Pre-ordered.. Would probably like a physical copy, but if they decide to release one later, I'll probably just buy one anyway, just like I did with season 1. Unless it ends up being shit, but even with another developper, I'm confident it'll be at least ok.

8 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Will wait for all the episodes to be out before buying as per usual.

Same. I'm hoping for another retail release.

Got my code yesterday (and so did everyone else I presume). Downloads start at 17:00 UK, if you're on Steam. I'll be downloading this while playing Mario + Rabbids.

Did anyone get around to playing this? How is it? I've noticed that you can get it for about a tenner on PSN and the third episode has been released. 

I haven’t got around to it but I plan to with the positive buzz it’s gotten. People seem pleasantly surprised with it overall.

Ooooh, so this looks like it'll be worth getting then.

I only wish it was more than 3 episodes. That's going to be over so quickly! 

I've got the last episode sitting waiting to be played so probably get stuck in either over the weekend or next week.

Really enjoyed it so far though. Like a lot of places, I was surprised at how good it was especially as it's not been put together by Dontnod but rather Deck Nine. But the writing is still solid, the characters are well done and although it's a shame that Ashly Burch doesn't voice Chloe (with that whole thing being a rather messy situation), it still feels like the same old Chloe and seeing that relationship only alluded to in the original has been very interesting so far.

It's definitely worth a go if you enjoyed the original, even with it only being 3 episodes. If you pick up the deluxe version (also on sale on the PS Store) you do get the extra episode coming in the new year that focuses on Chloe and Max when they were younger tho think that's coming in February or there abouts (and Ashly Burch is back for that).

So I didn't see an announcement but I've seen it listed on Amazon and the like but if you've been waiting for a physical release of all the episodes for this then look no further than March 9th as it' getting a limited edition release with all 3 main episodes, the additional extra episode titles 'Farewell' with Max and Chloe, the mixtape mode that allows you to just play the music in game, some additional outfits for Chloe and an art book alongside the soundtrack in CD. 

So much the same as what they did for the first game. Being listed for £34.99 so make of that what you will. Possibly a little bit high compared to the first game as there's one less episode overall. But I'll probably be picking it up as big fan of the IP.

I started playing the game early this morning. Was Chloe always as annoying as this? I'm honestly finding it difficult to play because she's such a prick.

Just this minute finished the game. While not as good as the first game it's still a good entry in the series. Chloe became less annoying once she started hanging out with Rachel but she still had moments of being a very annoying character to play as.

The soundtrack is fantastic. I actually enjoyed it more than the tunes that were on the original and I can certainly see me listening to it while at work.

I found some of the voice acting to be stiff and robotic at times. Some characters just sounded really off and it felt like they were just going through the motions.  

Spoiler

I told Rachel the truth. Her dad was a nasty piece of work. She had been lied to for so long by the people she trusted and I didn't want to be another person in her life who was like that. She looked happy when she finally met her mother so I feel I made the right call.

The end credits scene is absolutely heart breaking when you know what happens in the first game. :( 

1 minute ago, Map said:

@Hero-of-Time have you played Captain Spirit yet?

There's no trophies...so no. :D 

Is it worth playing through? If it doesn't lead into any of the events that will happen in LiS2 then I doubt i'll bother with it.

It's ok, only takes a couple of hours to play through. Nice little chapter for free with great music as always and an introduction to a character that will be in LIS2.

5 minutes ago, Map said:

It's ok, only takes a couple of hours to play through. Nice little chapter for free with great music as always and an introduction to a character that will be in LIS2.

Ah, so there is some connection to LiS2. I may give it a go then.

I remembered I had the bonus episode to this sitting unplayed as well as the Captain Spirit prequel to Life is Strange 2 waiting as well so I jumped on earlier today and gave them both a play.

While I'm not entirely sure the Farewell episode was needed, I won't deny getting to see both Max and Chloe together again (with the original voice actors) was great and the little story of their morning together was a joy to experience, even if a little short. Even though I knew the ending was coming, it was still gut wrenching. That one two punch for young Chloe really does make you feel for her. I loved the little bits of foreshadowing and nods throughout to events to come. Just a nicely handled end to a fantastic story arch and characters.

It's made me think of how impressed I am with the work Deck Nine did overall with Before the Storm. I'd been sceptical but this became one of my favourite games last year and the ending and the after credits bit were brilliant pieces of juxtapositioning. Feeling your heart sink out of you right at the end with that reminder was heart breaking after seeing and experiencing Chloe and Rachel's friendship.

And as pointed, the soundtrack was always on point. Black Flies by Ben Howard nearly set me off in Farewell as soon as it came on but both Deck Nine and Dontnod did great work with matching the soundtrack to the moment in both games. That Wolf Alice track right at the end perfectly capped of Before the Storm and that friendship.

Jumping into Captain Spirit after that, I wasn't hoping for uplifting but what I got was really well done and a good step away from what came before it. The story there and the allusions to some of what has been happening again show Dontnod doing some great work on the narrative front and the improvements to the engine really do make the game look great, especially the snow effects and just how crisp the bright colours look. The toys Chris plays with looked really good, almost like the real deal.

It's got me excited for Life is Strange 2, and I suspect we'll get our first glimpse at Gamescom so I can't wait for that and for September to get here to start anew. I can honestly say I think Life is Strange is without a doubt one of my favourite new IPs of this generation and I hope they can continue the good work with the new one.

Sign in to follow this