NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Fortnite

I don’t play the game personally (my little brother loves it), but their crossover with Marvel is insanely smart. I was only just talking to my brother the other day about how Dusty Divot looked exactly like the crater/site of Mjölnir in Thor, and how they’re very clearly setting Season 4 up in tandem with the release of Infinity War with a superhero movie-esque trailer.

And then I saw this crazy thing:

Fair play to Epic. I definitely see how so many people have become so invested in the game due to its many updates and excellent feedback loop, and I admire the fact that there is a base game which is still available for free. 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1

Apparently the IW guys are big Fortnite fans(and hey when you build a very accessible product why be surprised) and it's very interesting how they approach the whole model. I don't really play atm but I like what they're doing; just feel it's a bit of a shame they essentially mugged of PUBG for it but hey - that's the business.

Fortnite BR has been incredible for me the last two weeks. Buying the Battle Pass was a good idea :D The challenges you get really make you change how you play (i.e. use a variety of weapons, land at different spots, explore the map) and while the rewards are entirely cosmetic, they are actually pretty cool.

Had a lot of fun playing with mates. Managed to win in Squad Mode two days ago. We started with three and in the end I managed to secure the win against two opponents. My heart was beating quite fast :laughing:

Is anybody still playing this? I've practically been on it a lot over the past couple of weeks. I'm crap at building fast but I'm a lot better at shooting. Is it bad I'm always top 10 in solo solely through just shooting? LMAO.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I play this with mates a couple nights a week, dependant on when the Mrs goes to bed, she gets tired early being preggers so I figured I’d get my gaming in now as much as I can before the baby arrives. Haha

I have loads of fun with the game, awful at building too but I’ve just changed my controller layout to Builder Pro and it’s MUCH simpler... I just need to remember that I’ve changed it when in the heat of battle!

Edited by Kav

I'm still on it like, daily. Been playing Switch duos too  as one of my pals has a switch, only it doesn't seem to run that well, it seems to get massively laggy in places - not sure if that's the framerate or a server problem somewhere. And the joycons are a faff to aim with. Aside form that, a blast!

Hoping there's some nice map tweaks coming with the new season - it's been a while now since they added alot. The game was at it's best for me when all the meteor stuff was going on toward the end of the last season.

Still finding new weird mad stuff happens with every match I play. It's just such a well made and fun game!

I’m really enjoying this more and more, changing the controls to Builder Pro has helped although I still occasionally forget I’ve changed it when I get ambushed.

I’m also still massively peeved at Sony being so anti-consumer and Epic not doing anything to help alleviate the situation with regards to the blocking of the PSN-linked Epic Accounts on other consoles... I’ve created this thread on Twitter and am replying to every PlayStation tweet with it, I don’t care if I’m trolling, it deserves to be called out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kav said:

I’m really enjoying this more and more, changing the controls to Builder Pro has helped although I still occasionally forget I’ve changed it when I get ambushed.

I’m also still massively peeved at Sony being so anti-consumer and Epic not doing anything to help alleviate the situation with regards to the blocking of the PSN-linked Epic Accounts on other consoles... I’ve created this thread on Twitter and am replying to every PlayStation tweet with it, I don’t care if I’m trolling, it deserves to be called out.

You are actually helping Sony justify their position all round. Its certainly not anti consumer and remember they are going to focus on 'their' users not competitiors.

Its too early to start saying consoles dont need to exist. Lets wait and see before destroying working business models. 

Edited by Choze

8 hours ago, Kav said:

Todd Howard puts more heat on Sony...

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/06/29/bethesdas-todd-howard-suggests-sony-preventing-fallout-76-crossplay

In a video interview with German website Gamestar.de, Bethesda Games Studio's director and executive producer Todd Howard is directly asked about crossplay for this year's Fallout game, Fallout 76. "We would love to do that," Howard said, "but right now that's not possible." Howard pauses for a second, then begins "Sony isn't being as helpful as we want them to be."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Choze said:

You are actually helping Sony justify their position all round. Its certainly not anti consumer and remember they are going to focus on 'their' users not competitiors.

Its too early to start saying consoles dont need to exist. Lets wait and see before destroying working business models. 

Ive no idea how you come to that conclusion. It’s blatant anti-consumerism.

I’m not sure where you get I’ve suggested consoles don’t need to exist... how have you arrived at that?!:wtf:

• Like 2

On 30/06/2018 at 3:33 PM, Kav said:

Ive no idea how you come to that conclusion. It’s blatant anti-consumerism.

I’m not sure where you get I’ve suggested consoles don’t need to exist... how have you arrived at that?!:wtf:

Dont play dense you know full well its challenge to the business model. If you think its anti consumer then do complain to the relevant bodies including taking it up legally. :indeed:

I think the Sony statemnent is spot on. They have to look after their business and customers first. Not competitor's customers and business. With the statements by some 3rd party pubs you can sense they see this primarily as a way to bypass royalties. The whole crossplay thing isnt that important to them until now.

Edited by Choze

How is it looking after their customers by blocking their Epic account and only allowing it to be used on PC/mobile, not Xbox/Switch?

They're pissing off a lot of people so I'm not sure what you mean by looking after their players.

It comes down to money. They want people playing and buying micro transactions on their machine not their competitors, but when compared with how Xbox and Switch are handling the situation Sony sound tone deaf and out of touch. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

How is it looking after their customers by blocking their Epic account and only allowing it to be used on PC/mobile, not Xbox/Switch?

They're pissing off a lot of people so I'm not sure what you mean by looking after their players.

It comes down to money. They want people playing and buying micro transactions on their machine not their competitors, but when compared with how Xbox and Switch are handling the situation Sony sound tone deaf and out of touch. 

Hmmmm. Considering how badly MS and Nintendo are doing they are very very late here. Being generations late to the crossplay party doesnt help them either. The fact their combined Fortnite userbase is completely dwarfed by the PS4 userbase is always going to be an issue.

The account stuff needs to be explained by EPIC. No reason why they cant divide purchases. This is why they should have used Steam rather than try to make their own mini platform.

Edited by Choze

4 hours ago, Choze said:

Hmmmm. Considering how badly MS and Nintendo are doing they are very very late here. Being generations late to the crossplay party doesnt help them either. The fact their combined Fortnite userbase is completely dwarfed by the PS4 userbase is always going to be an issue.

The account stuff needs to be explained by EPIC. No reason why they cant divide purchases. This is why they should have used Steam rather than try to make their own mini platform.

Microsoft and Nintendo aren't doing badly. Switch is flying off the shelves and Xbox One is selling big numbers too. Just so happens PS4 is doing even better. 

The account stuff doesn't need to be explained by Epic. Sony allow you to log in to mobile and PC but specifically not their two direct competitors. The ball's in Sony's court and they're getting torn apart for it. 

Even Todd Howard has waded in and pointed the finger at Sony. 

Being generations late to the crossplay party doesnt help them either. The fact their combined Fortnite userbase is completely dwarfed by the PS4 userbase is always going to be an issue.

Not sure what this means or has to do with anything. 

• Like 1

Defending Sony in this case is silly, but Epic are at fault also, they could do plenty to help alleviate the issue, but it’s Sony that blocked the use of the Epic Accounts on other consoles as a proviso of Fortnite being on the PS4.

It is blatant anti-consumerism.

Edited by Kav

Sadly I don't see Sony changing their stance on cross play until next gen rolls round and install bases are returned to zero. Sony are apparently releasing this bundle next month around the time the next season starts in Fortnite.

royale2-1021x580-1117405.jpeg

The bundle comes with save the world(pve), 500 v bucks and an exclusive skin. It's a pretty good deal and has the potential to shift a lot of PS4s.

Is Sony's stance cool? No not at all but it's business and they seem intent on turning the screw whilst their market leaders. Will It hurt them in long run? If they relax their cross play rules when next gen starts I think they'll be ok, people have short memories.

2 minutes ago, Map said:

Sadly I don't see Sony changing their stance on cross play until next gen rolls round and install bases are returned to zero. 

Yeah, I think that's how they are going to play it out, as well. They'll use it as a selling point for the PS5.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Microsoft and Nintendo aren't doing badly.

Judging by the Fortnite userbases, PS4 is absolutely decimating them combined and then some(H1Z1 has 10m+ users). Are you really going to say they have leverage anymore? :cheeky:

Fortnite is also free to play on PS4 unlike the other consoles.

I think a solution might involve charging for Switch crossplay possibly.

but it’s Sony that blocked the use of the Epic Accounts

Even if that was the case, its on EPIC to mark and communicate restrictions. Even with PC, IOS and PS4 its confusing and unclear. I would much rather they used Steam. But hey greed trumps user experience for many publishers and developers.

Edited by Choze

2 minutes ago, Choze said:

Fortnite is also free to play on PS4 unlike the other consoles. 

It's free to play on the Switch. How that pans out when they start charging for online in September is unclear at this point.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2018 at 1:37 PM, Choze said:

Eve  if that was the case, its on EPIC to mark and communicate restrictions. Even with PC, IOS and PS4 its confusing and unclear. I would much rather they used Steam. But hey greed trumps user experience for many publishers and developers.

What if someone, such as say...Sony, are binding their hands behind the scenes with legal restrictions/contracts/NDAs etc.

You ask me here it's Sony getting all big bollocks again because they're topping the market. They're using that leverage. Sure, it is business, but things should have their limits in certain circumstances. For me it's all irrelevant, I don't play much(want to tho) and it'll likely only ever be on ps4 and I doubt I'll buy the packs etc. anytime soon, so it doesn't bother me. A mate of mine did mention it in passing, tbh I was so clueless at the time I didn't really understand what he was saying and glossed past it. I can see it both ways but I do think Sony could be better here.

Though if you want to argue Epic buried the fuck out of PUBG by doing Fortnite (I'm not, I don't know much at all about PUBG and Fortnite does continue to provide content) then you could also argue this as slight karma for Epic - but it doesn't seem to be doing too many favours for consumers either way.

• Like 1

Sounds like what many of us predicted in the beginning. Good to see they took the time to work on impact to business etc. Good research takes a long time. I think they will lead as usual and from a more stronger/more informed position. They cant look to Apple/Google for shortcuts.

We also now know that console purchases arent exactly shared. Which was a big question mark for moneitisation. No doubt game devs and pubs will want to undermine the platform holders cuts.

Playstation's current Crossplay position wasnt clear nor fixed on PC/PS4 purchases since the PS2 days. Some games have full purchase sharing others do not. So it will be interesting to see hwo things turn out.

Edited by Choze

Greed seems to be back on the agenda? Google and Apple have pulled Fortnite from their stores because Epic were trying to encourage users to pay direct for content and circumventing the store/platforms fees etc?

The 1984 play against them is pretty slick memewise lol(detailed in article with link to original 1984 ad) and it's gonna be curious to see how much Epic can whip up in this fiasco PR wise to gain support given popularity of Fortnite?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/aug/13/fortnite-maker-lawsuit-apple-app-store-removal

16 minutes ago, Rummy said:

Greed seems to be back on the agenda? Google and Apple have pulled Fortnite from their stores because Epic were trying to encourage users to pay direct for content and circumventing the store/platforms fees etc?

The 1984 play against them is pretty slick memewise lol(detailed in article with link to original 1984 ad) and it's gonna be curious to see how much Epic can whip up in this fiasco PR wise to gain support given popularity of Fortnite?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/aug/13/fortnite-maker-lawsuit-apple-app-store-removal

Yeah, not really sure who to side with here. All parties involved are pretty rich and greedy.  

Sign in to follow this