NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Fortnite

By Epic

FPS with fort building.

The aesthetic reminds me of Overwatch. Wont require high specs for PC and Mac.

So this is actually looking pretty damn good. It's available to play now and although is technically early access I think that it means something a little different for Epic.

Anyone else playing it yet? Some of the guys from work are trying to push me to buy but I'm not 100% sold yet with all the Switch gaming that I have to do :p

The Battle Royale mode has launched for free. It’s pretty fun. It’s a 100 player free for all. With a timer. The areas closes in over time too. 

has abit of resource gathering and building but for creating walls or tiny defences. I can see why Battle Royale games are popular. 

36 minutes ago, Choze said:

The Battle Royale mode has launched for free. It’s pretty fun. It’s a 100 player free for all. With a timer. The areas closes in over time too. 

has abit of resource gathering and building but for creating walls or tiny defences. I can see why Battle Royale games are popular. 

I've been playing this since it came out last week.. I'm bloody obsessed. Outrageous that it's now free! Highly recommend everyone hops on it. Pubg knockoff or not, it's immensely smooth and a fantastic experience. Genuinely heart pounding stuff once you get down to that top five! Today's addition of better ranged weapons has definitely improved the game too.

I do feel like they've missed a trick by not making it a plus game. Does anyone ever check the free-to-play games tab? I guess it's success will be dependent on word of mouth.

It's literally identical though, with the legacy structure crafting stuff from Fortnight thrown in.

There's a certain way to do homage, but to rip an indie developer's innovations wholesale, six months in to an early access campaign when you yourself provide the engine the thing is made on, is at least a little unseemly. It might have been a little more dignified to either wait until the game you're ripping off (and trust me, it's boggling how much of a rip off it is) is out, or to have an actual variation on the idea. 

The best thing about game mechanics is that they can't be copyrighted, and so iteration happens quickly, between different studios. But I can understand why Bluehole would be a little salty when there is no iteration happening at all, more opportunistic swiping.

Edited by The Bard
  • Like 2

First match of Battle Royale (my first ever experience with this type of game):

ub1Dakk.jpg

:D

It's so much fun. I'll probably spend the occasional hour with this. Hopefully PUBG will arrive on PS4 eventually.

• Haha 1

This game is amazing. A lot of fun.

Played a couple of matches with a mate just now. Your squad will get filled automatically (if possible, of course) so you always have 4 players. Our last match was with only one other guy, though.
My mate died halfway through. That other guy and me had an intense battle at a bridge. Four people were already in a firefight and we chimed in. My squadmate didn't survive, but I did :D I managed to kill the last three players and win the match with my incredible sniping skills :laughing:

Instantly one of my favourite gaming experiences ever. :peace:

Really hope Epic continues to update the game. The guns could use some work, i.e. aiming feels a little odd and hit detection seems off at times. Gunplay is "floaty", for a lack of better word.
Fully customizable controls would be welcome, too.

I think this iteration of Battle Royal can definitely co-exist with PUGB. Never played the latter but from watching gameplay videos I'd say that the latter has a more military approach, not only in equipment/weaponry but also in how the gunplay feels.

That's pretty cool.

• Like 1

Yeah its a great game. Its Epic so I expected it to be decent. 

Early days yet but its nicely paced. The matches are relatively short which is good.

On 27/09/2017 at 6:01 AM, The Bard said:

It's literally identical though, with the legacy structure crafting stuff from Fortnight thrown in.

There's a certain way to do homage, but to rip an indie developer's innovations wholesale, six months in to an early access campaign when you yourself provide the engine the thing is made on, is at least a little unseemly. It might have been a little more dignified to either wait until the game you're ripping off (and trust me, it's boggling how much of a rip off it is) is out, or to have an actual variation on the idea. 

The best thing about game mechanics is that they can't be copyrighted, and so iteration happens quickly, between different studios. But I can understand why Bluehole would be a little salty when there is no iteration happening at all, more opportunistic swiping.

Yeah, I'm unsure how I feel about it tbh. My initial reaction (which I posted in the battle royale games thread) was the same - I really do feel like it was made solely to beat PUBG / any other competitors to the console market. Totally can see why Bluehole have complained, and the backlash against them doing so seems a bit harsh; even though the genre pre-existed before them, the timing of fortnite BR as you say really makes is seem like a blatent rip off.

All that said.. having played a tonne of Fortnite BR I actually think the two games are wildly different, whether intentionally or not. Fortnite is way more fast paced and arcadey in it's gunplay, a lot more vertical in it's design, and way more about dashing around than PUBG, which seems to me (though tbf based only only letsplays) more slow paced and tense, partly from the map being about thrice the size.

I've had four victory royales thus far and they've all come because of at least some forms of crafting (building a quick base at the end and peeking out from above it, or crafting stairs to scale a mountain to get the higher ground against the rest of the top 5 etc) - so I do think that goes a long way to differenciate the two. Mechanically it's brilliant; I still feel a bit iffy playing it but everything works so well and is such fun that I've gotten over it.. I think it'll probably ultimately a positive for the genre, as @drahkon says, and it certainly hasn't killed my interest in PUBG when it finally comes to consoles. The whole fiasco has been a bit of a marketing boon for both games!

30u8hev.jpg

• Like 1

Downloaded this last night and...

Blown away. Wasn't really sure I'd enjoy this kind of game but I FUCKING LOVED IT. It was so thrilling. I managed to get to the last 9 on my first proper game, which I'm pleased with since I still hadn't worked out how to crouch.

It kind of gives me the same vibe as Overwatch. Nowhere near as polished or as charming but it's easy to pick up and play, but there's a high skill ceiling. I'd love to know what the plans for it are because I am so ready to get behind this.

• Like 2

I tried it, played four matches, then went back to playing PUBG.

It's far more stable and smooth than PUBG, but the looting isn't fun at all and the matches are far too quick.

If anyone sees me online, shoot me a voice chat or an invite. I'm up for giving a squad a try.

Also, anyone got any tips for building? I really really haven't got the hang of it and I'm super preoccupied with...not dying.

On 06/10/2017 at 2:53 PM, Daft said:

If anyone sees me online, shoot me a voice chat or an invite. I'm up for giving a squad a try.

Also, anyone got any tips for building? I really really haven't got the hang of it and I'm super preoccupied with...not dying.

Hah yeah - tbh until the endgame just stairs and barriers are all you need - just get used to pressing circle then R2 for barrier, circle triangle triangle r2 for stairs.

Maybe worth dropping somewhere right on the edge of the map, farming some resources and having a wee practice. In endgame, I find barricading yourself in with vertical blocks, and then adding stairs to the middle works well. That way you can peak over the edge - massive advantage over people running about on the ground below. Make sure you build your endgame-thing with bricks or preferably metal (L1 to switch)

And I'd probs be up for that - I'll get you added on psn.

Had a look at the newly released stats and felt a bit sick. Seriously addicting game..!!

Edited by dan-likes-trees
  • Like 1

I downloaded this yesterday. I'm slowly getting better, I think that's where the fun part is. It was very satisfying going from dying early every match to coming top ten in my last one.

Like Daft, I'm not used to the building mechanic yet. I've just been building stairs to get to high places. I don't want to commit to building anything too extensive in case I get snuck upon or if the map starts to shrink.

Would love to try the squad mode with anyone on PSN.

Anyone checked out 50 vs 50 yet?

Not quite as structured and exciting as this trailer makes out..

But it's still pretty dope! When you get in a good group and you're just swarming toward the center circle it's a pretty unique experience. Glad they're spicing things up to differentiate further from pubg et al.

Generally still absolutely loving / addicted to the game. Got my first double figures kills win the other day. Then looked at my total time played and wondered what I'm doing with my life

After watching others playing the Battle Royale mode online, I finally decided it was time to give it a go myself so downloaded it on my PS4 and I absolutely love it. Only played a handful of matches but managed to get to the top 5 in 4 of them and even managed 2nd twice.

The last match was mine for winning and I messed up, rather than building anything, I was trying to scope the last person as I had a legendary grenade launcher, purple shotgun, blue rocket launcher and a green assault rifle (as well as full shield) and thought I'd finish the job quickly. But he got the drop on me and a single shotgun shot to the head and it was over for me. Absolutely gutted as I'd played the long game, dropped right at the edge of the map, fought off one other player doing the same and escaping death narrowly and then spend the game heading north up the maps West coast to stock to the edge of the circle, with plenty of houses and chests along the way.

That rush tho when you see you're in the last 5 or so. Itching to get back on and play it as it's unlike anything else I've ever played.

I play it on PC occasionally, but alsmost never get into the top 10. My aiming is still too bad and I'm still learning the weapons, and also quickly switching between building and gunning. Especially when you see some people on Twitch, damn I still have a lot to learn haha.

I loved 50 vs 50, too bad that was only a temporary mode.

Finally upgraded my HDD so I downloaded this as I had the space - I am utterly shit lol. Yet I can't stop playing it. I've mostly been going solo so far, I need to figure out about building structures and defending well etc. I also need to just get into more fun fights, as I'm barely scraping by in them atm. I'm really bad at it though, basically only coming where I am by running away and surviving!

Edit:played a squad game with randoms earlier, had two communicating Germans and they basically carried me(to #1!), tbh we barely got shot at but yeah I need to work on my gunplay(managed just one kill in a bit of a rash panic) and very much so my construction. May played a few games in forest landings and just practise building.

Also for those not knowing there's apparently a snipers mode in BR now.

Any of you guys still playing this? Odd lack of chat about it as it seems to have stealthily become the biggest game on the planet right now (See also: Drake streaming it with Ninja, premier league players celebrating goals with the fortnite dances).

Keeps going from strength to strength for me; all the updates and the progression keep it pretty fresh even months on in

I pop on once in a while, but usually I'm OWing/MHing/getting back into Terraria now and too shit at it to really enjoy it fully by actually winning stuff. Enjoy that they continue putting in new content and modes etc but I think without me managing to get better I kinda lose a bit of interest. Do wanna try and get back into it tho(the other problem is it's very dangerous for losing hours to it :p).

30 minutes ago, Rummy said:

too shit at it to really enjoy it fully by actually winning stuff. Enjoy that they continue putting in new content and modes etc but I think without me managing to get better I kinda lose a bit of interest.

I don't think you need to win a lot to enjoy it. For me most of the enjoyment comes from adapting to the situations you find yourself in which in turn makes you better.

I have to improve my building skills. Most of the time when it's 1v1 at the end I lose because I can't build fast/precise enough. I've gotten better over the past few days, but still need a lot more practise.

• Like 1

Oh god yeah the build rates of people who play loads - it's just too much for me to handle! How do they co-ordinate that terrible navigation so rapidly! Tbh I know I need to work on it, and gunfights in general(I just tend to avoid conflict and survive) but it seems like more effort than I can be bothered with atm :p

Sign in to follow this