NEurope

Nintendo Life review

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/fifa_18

Seems to be a very good version for what it is ( portable FIFA ) but it's missing many modes/components that the other versions have. They say the game is essentially the Legacy Edition of the game but with a few extra bits.

Hopefully my copy will be waiting for me when I get home.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Hopefully it sells then fifa 19 will have the missing modes.

Will be interesting to see what the sales targets are for EA? 

I just see Playgrounds, Street fighter, flip wars, FAST etc all with online with friends and think huge companies like 2k and EA have no excuse whatsoever.

It wouldn’t be so bad if EA did any publicity whatsoever for it, even a proper page on the switch eshop, or let people review it so people knew what they were buying, or if they weren’t in essence giving us the legacy edition, or in fact even if they came out and said sorry, we’re patching it in!! But everything all added together says to me this is 100% EA being utterly lazy.

I’m still excited for it though 🤣

2 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

I just see Playgrounds, Street fighter, flip wars, FAST etc all with online with friends and think huge companies like 2k and EA have no excuse whatsoever.

It wouldn’t be so bad if EA did any publicity whatsoever for it, even a proper page on the switch eshop, or let people review it so people knew what they were buying, or if they weren’t in essence giving us the legacy edition, or in fact even if they came out and said sorry, we’re patching it in!! But everything all added together says to me this is 100% EA being utterly lazy.

I’m still excited for it though 🤣

I said yesterday it was like EA wanted the game to fail. Maybe that's actually true. :D

• Like 1

There will be no sales in Germany. Physical copies stuck in customs. EA could have shot themselves in the foot now reviews and people's impressions are out.

The lack of online with friends could really turn people away from the game

Regardless though, personally I wouldn't be buying it even if it had all features and modes. FIFA just doesn't play like an actual football match.

NBA 2K18 is gonna be my switch sports fix

48 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

And there's the catch... There always has to be at least one...

There had to be something, didn't there..?

Imagine EA trying to get away with something like that on PS4/XBOX One? It just wouldn't happen yet Nintendo fans are constantly left waiting to see which sacrifices are going to be made..

16 minutes ago, nekunando said:

There had to be something, didn't there..?

Imagine EA trying to get away with something like that on PS4/XBOX One? It just wouldn't happen yet Nintendo fans are constantly left waiting to see which sacrifices are going to be made..

If Nintendo had a Party & invite system on their OS they wouldn’t need to worry about this.

19 minutes ago, nekunando said:

They wouldn't be able to because you can jump into a friends game on a OS level on both those consoles. :p I think that's the point myself and Kav have been trying to make. We aren't trying to justify the way this has been handled, we are just saying that if Nintendo's online setup was on par with the competition then these issues wouldn't keep cropping up in games. It's not as if the setup they use for the likes of Splatoon 2 is ideal, either.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They wouldn't be able to because you can jump into a friends game on a OS level on both those consoles. :p I think that's the point myself and Kav have been trying to make. We aren't trying to justify the way this has been handled, we are just saying that if Nintendo's online setup was on par with the competition then these issues wouldn't keep cropping up in games. It's not as if the setup they use for the likes of Splatoon 2 is ideal, either.

My only issue is that @Kav is adamant that this is all Ninty's fault. There's blame on both sides. Other developers have coped just fine, EA shouldn't get a free pass on this.

Just now, Glen-i said:

My only issue is that @Kav is adamant that this is all Ninty's fault. There's blame on both sides. Other developers have coped just fine, EA shouldn't get a free pass on this.

Agreed but others are acting like this is all on EA. As I said earlier in the day, as well as you just mentioned, both are to blame.

I'm still shocked that EA haven't come out and explained why it's launched without friendly matches with mates. I imagine they've been bombarded on social media about the situation. If they do decide to comment on it, it's going to be interesting to hear what the excuse is.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

If they do decide to comment on it, it's going to be interesting to hear what the excuse is.

"It's Nintendo's fault"

:D

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm definitely not giving Nintendo a free pass on this either! Their online implementation has never really affected me much over the years but there's just no excuse for it to still be this bad in 2017. It's ludicrous :nono:

At the same time, I'm also sick of 3rd parties providing gimped versions of their games, justifiably or not, and then complaining that 'Nintendo gamers' don't want these games when they don't sell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has arrived!

Just signed into my EA account and it remembered my favourite team and setup from when I played FIFA 16 on the PS4. Nice!

Just playing the kick off game against Newcastle. I had loads of possession, numerous chances, Firmino missing many a shot, went into halftime 0-0. Seems pretty realistic to me. :D

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, nekunando said:

It's ludicrous :nono:

I knew something would have to go wrong with this, it was inevitable. :heh: Surely they will patch it though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just nipped up to my mates house and took my Switch to show him FIFA. Like me he hasn't bought one for his PS4 in a couple of years. I explained that I bought it for the off tv play feature and so I could play football while watching Soccer Saturday. He loved this idea and the game. He will be picking it up for himself tomorrow. :D

Stupidly went straight into an online seasons game without changing controls to alternate; found myself 2-0 up after 20 mins thanks to goals from Big Rom before connection lost...didn't go down as a win or a lose so I presume that was from EA's side...

Common sense has prevailed and doing the training drills to get reacustomed to the game, so far it's the FIFA I remember, loading screens though are crazy quick!!

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It has arrived!

Just signed into my EA account and it remembered my favourite team and setup from when I played FIFA 16 on the PS4. Nice!

Just playing the kick off game against Newcastle. I had loads of possession, numerous chances, Firmino missing many a shot, went into halftime 0-0. Seems pretty realistic to me. :D

Funnily enough, I also jumped straight into the match against Newcastle without tweaking the lineup.

It's the only game I've played so far as I had to leave the house again shortly after. It was a comfortable 3-0 win.. but the game suggested Amateur was my level :blank:

In fairness, I didn't play particularly well as it kinda felt odd to me throughout. There's definitely going to be a transition period from being so used to PlayStation controllers for football games (Nintendo controllers never feel quite right for that one specific genre ::shrug: ) and also the fact that I've been playing PES 2017 with my brother on PS4 this week.

Coming from that, this actually felt quite poor but I'm sure I'll adjust and also get used to the controller which, for the first time, felt a little cramped when I was trying to do shot cancels and stuff (I am using the Joy-Con Grip)

Also, like @Kaepora_Gaebora I'm all about the alternative controls but I seemed to have an issue where ZL wasn't pace control as specified. I had to go customise it for it to work. It also wasn't convenient transitioning to handheld mode as I had to go into side select and move the controllers across.

It'll all click eventually, I hope!

On a side note, the cartridge art is awful, as anticipated :heh:

Edited by nekunando

For all we know the EA Bucharest team may have been given a small budget plus short development time. 

May have been tough for them

Loving Ultimate Team mode. I've won my first season/cup with my ragtag team and managed to save around 5000 cash.

I'm in the process of making an English only team. I've spent a good while just looking at what transfers are available and have strengthened my squad. I missed out on the Ox earlier but wasn't too fussed as it would have used up most of my winnings.

I caved and ordered it.

Shockingly this will be my first FIFA since FIFA 98 on the Saturn :grin:

• Like 1

Anyone else get this weird slightly transparent circle on screen in-game? In the middle close to the bottom. I tried to ignore it but will pay closer attention whether it's showing up instead of the mini map.

UXOi4g7.jpg

Played a couple of Ultimate Team matches in handheld mode and it plays and looks good. So far feels pretty much identical to FIFA 17 so I'm not getting the usual new FIFA vibe. Early days though.

Still no announcement on the friends issue by the look of it. Surely they've got to comment on Monday.

Edited by Space

Not avaliable on Amazon uk again. Not avaliable on Amazon Germany.  

Amazon France has it. 

My Ultimate Team earned another promotion this morning.

I've continued to only buy English players and now have Deeney and Carroll up front, Noble, Sinclair and Huddlestone in midfield and Heaton in Goal. I also just nabbed Carrick for a sweet 700 coins and Glen Johnson for 650. Bargain!

It's frustrating that this one issue has resulted in largely negative press for the Switch version, when the fact of the matter is that this is a superior version to what we thought we would get.