NEurope

6 minutes ago, Kav said:

You need an invite system that’s linked to the OS, like the other consoles have.

Otherwise the developer has to go out of their way setting up an entirely new invite system.

I don’t blame EA, they don’t want to spend the further development costs.

You're definitely right about the OS problems.

But can it really be that hard to implement a "Friends room" feature? EA aren't exactly short on cash. It's a little bit lazy.

1 hour ago, dazzybee said:

Oh my fucking god... Why?! Nothing to do with Nintendo, you could play against friends on wii u. You can play against friends on Indies like Playgrounds and FAST. This is 100% EA being cunts like always.

Why do this?! What is wrong with them?

Didn't FAST have to patch it in?

According the Reddit, these types of functions are handled or built in to the other 2 consoles. This is why when you check friends lists on the One and PS4 you get the option to join any game that they are playing. It looks like developers are going to have to put some effort in when making these features for the Switch. Is it lazy to not put these features in? Yes. But you can also see why they wouldn't bother when they are so used to working with devices that do these things for them. It once again comes back to Nintendo's online not being up to scratch or the same as the other 2 consoles.

31 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You're definitely right about the OS problems.

But can it really be that hard to implement a "Friends room" feature? EA aren't exactly short on cash. It's a little bit lazy.

EA are definitely lazy but I still don’t blame them.

44 minutes ago, Kav said:

You need an invite system that’s linked to the OS, like the other consoles have.

Otherwise the developer has to go out of their way setting up an entirely new invite system.

I don’t blame EA, they don’t want to spend the further development costs.

Of course you don’t blame EA, I’ve seen your daily abuse of Nintendo on twitter 🤣🤣

• Like 1

While I do think EA should have included it. Nintendo should have this feature in @ OS level. 

They created an unnecessary problem

I can’t believe the defending of EA... bizarre. So everything othergame from indies to Nintendo to 3rd parties can include it, but FIFA doesn’t and it’s Nintendo’s fault.

33 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

I can’t believe the defending of EA... bizarre. So everything othergame from indies to Nintendo to 3rd parties can include it, but FIFA doesn’t and it’s Nintendo’s fault.

It's the same situation for 2K, as their basketball game doesn't allow for this either. Both 3rd parties and Nintendo are to blame for this mess. Nintendo for not having an online system that is up to scratch and 3rd parties for not wanting to put the effort in. There are faults on both sides of the fence here.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

My copy has arrived from Amazon alas I am out at work today.

Not being able to play a friend seems monumentally stupid, it is an essential feature. Surely one that would be patched soon by EA.

I have not played Splatoon 2 but imagined you'd be able to invite a friend via the Switch mobile app. Is the app supported at all with FIFA?

1 minute ago, Space said:

I have not played Splatoon 2 but imagined you'd be able to invite a friend via the Switch mobile app. Is the app supported at all with FIFA?

Nah. It's still in beta. Only Splatoon 2 is supported by it at the moment.

It is on EA but if nintendo just had friend invites to games  from the OS I really feel this would be avoided. 

• Like 1

It's a weird one.
I think both are to blame. Nintendo for still not offering an online service that is on par with current standards and EA for not putting in a little more effort.

I wonder if this is one of the reasons why reviews for the Switch version haven't been published earlier this week.

• Like 1

Just now, khilafah said:

Eurogamer are blaming Nintendo

Just read this.

What a horrible article. One-sided and it reads like a personal rant. The author might have a point, but the blame is not only Nintendo's to bear.

Yeah, I don't care about whose to blame, it's just crappy that it affects the players.

I hope that both EA and Nintendo understand that they can influence this for their fans/customers.

While I'll mainly be playing random games in Seasons anyway, the omission of being able to play with friends is ridiculous on all sides :nono:

I hope everyone is heading to twitter with their complaints!

If this had been known before launch day I think a lot of people would have cancelled their pre-order out of principle and gone with PS4/XB1 instead. At the very least EA should have been saying the feature isn't going to be ready but will be coming in an update soon rather than keeping it secret.

2 minutes ago, Space said:

If this had been known before launch day I think a lot of people would have cancelled their pre-order out of principle and gone with PS4/XB1 instead. At the very least EA should have been saying the feature isn't going to be ready but will be coming in an update soon rather than keeping it secret.

This could be exactly why the review codes have been held off until launch day. 

It doesn't effect me in any way as I wasn't on planning on playing online with the game anyway, but it's certainly a kick in the nuts for those who were looking forward to playing with friends. Surely EA has to make a statement about this situation? Even if they said it would be coming in a patch later down the line then that would ease peoples concerns. As it stands, it seems that many are starting to cancel or return their orders.

Whilst this doesn't impact on me, as I only really play Ultimate team, it's still a major fuck up. And as most games I have played on Switch seem to have a friend option, this can only be down to EA. I do wonder if you  can play with friends when consoles are linked. All the adverts for Switch really push the idea of meeting up with friends and linking the consoles, so maybe EA thought that's how it will work? At least it's saved @dazzybee from an can of woop ass.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clownferret said:

Whilst this doesn't impact on me, as I only really play Ultimate team, it's still a major fuck up. And as most games I have played on Switch seem to have a friend option, this can only be down to EA. I do wonder if you  can play with friends when consoles are linked. All the adverts for Switch really push the idea of meeting up with friends and linking the consoles, so maybe EA thought that's how it will work? At least it's saved @dazzybee from an can of woop ass.

Apparently you can still play local co-op seasons and friendlies, it's just the online stuff that has been nerfed.

It's pretty appalling, and as others have suggested as poor as Nintendo's online infrastructure is they still have a friends list built into the Switch's OS so it should be a pretty simple job for EA to access it in game. Dozens of other Switch games have done it, including indie title Fast RMX which was developed by a team of 5 people. Granted that feature wasn't available on launch day but it was patched in pretty quickly once they had more info on Nintendo's online system, an excuse that EA can't fall back on given we're 6 months into the consoles life. 

And seriously Eurogamer? What a ridiculous article to publish when the evidence is pretty overwhelming that it's also EA's fault. Hopefully it's something they can sort out soon, I'm sure the backlash will only grow. 

Edited by killthenet

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Just read this.

What a horrible article. One-sided and it reads like a personal rant. The author might have a point, but the blame is not only Nintendo's to bear.

Just read this myself. It's hilarious. It really does read like a full on rant. :D 

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just read this myself. It's hilarious. It really does read like a full on rant. :D 

At points, it reminds me of the drunken thread, but with less typos. So it lacks the charm and about 60% of the fun..

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Clownferret said:

I do wonder if you can play with friends when consoles are linked. All the adverts for Switch really push the idea of meeting up with friends and linking the consoles, so maybe EA thought that's how it will work?

Wondering the same.

I blame Nintendo. It’s their fault for not having an invite/Party system on the OS.

In not having one on yet another console they've created this impression for others that Nintendo fans don’t care much for online gaming - even with friends, hence the lack of proper voice chat options for so long too.

Why should a developer put the extra resources into further development when the consumer base doesn’t have a big enough desire for it?

30 minutes ago, Space said:

Wondering the same.

Yeah you can do local seasons and there is a Switch kick off mode as well; they've got couch/train/pub co op sorter to a tee. Who needs online, eh...😝