NEurope

Releasing on the same day as the other platforms, thankfully.

The one thing I will say is that I think the online for this is going to have to work perfectly straight away. I cant see too many Fifa fans moving away from their preferred consoles where the rest of their friends play unless its worthwhile. The handheld aspect will be great but I think it will be much more of a pull for a casual Fifa fan than the ones we always seem to talk about.

@Clownferret Icons are in.

Here's some good details from Eurogamer.

This seems like EA are putting in a fair bit of effort. There will be no more excuses for Nintendo fans if this fails to sell. It's time for them to put up or shut up.

I'm loving all this. Portable Fifa with UT and icons. Job done.

I'm a total football junkie. play, coach, watch & Fifa. I've even written a "rough" book called Football is broken.

EA sound like they've gone back to great days on Wii when they Tiger Woods was the best golf game ever made.

No hiding place for you now @dazzybee

I'm loving all this. Portable Fifa with UT and icons. Job done.

I'm a total football junkie. play, coach, watch & Fifa. I've even written a "rough" book called Football is broken.

EA sound like they've gone back to great days on Wii when they Tiger Woods was the best golf game ever made.

No hiding place for you now @dazzybee

After demolishing you 6-0 last time we played I'm truly petrified... :)

What is icons?

The one thing I will say is that I think the online for this is going to have to work perfectly straight away. I cant see too many Fifa fans moving away from their preferred consoles where the rest of their friends play unless its worthwhile. The handheld aspect will be great but I think it will be much more of a pull for a casual Fifa fan than the ones we always seem to talk about.

Yeah I can't see hardcore Fifa owners moving to this at all. This is or Nintendo fans and casual players only I think.

Here's some off-screen footage of FIFA 18 from Eurogamer but the video doesn't really illustrate anything we haven't already heard..

I wish we could see some proper footage captured from the docked version of the game!

Here's some off-screen footage of FIFA 18 from Eurogamer but the video doesn't really illustrate anything we haven't already heard..

I wish we could see some proper footage captured from the docked version of the game!

I dunno if it mentions this in the video but apparently there are no docked version of the game at the event. It makes sense as I doubt EA would want the PS4 version running side by side with the Switch one. Making it look like a really good portable version of FIFA is the smarter play.

I dunno if it mentions this in the video but apparently there are no docked version of the game at the event. It makes sense as I doubt EA would want the PS4 version running side by side with the Switch one. Making it look like a really good portable version of FIFA is the smarter play.

Yeh.. and while I agree with that, the skeptic in me wonders if they're hiding something :heh:

I'm feeling pretty positive about it all so hopefully footage will emerge over the next few days from somewhere and that we'll get more insight rather than weak analysis found in this particular video!

EA are probably hoping to sell two copies of the game to people who own a ps4/xb1 and a switch .

That (limited) video coverage from Eurogamer look solid. A decent port of 360/PS3 is all I wanted plus the omission of The Journey single player mode doesn't bother me at all - didn't think it added much anyway! Would rather they focus on ensuring online is as smooth as possible.

I'm actually pretty shocked to see that it doesn't look like a flaming tire fire! :o

It looks like EA might have actually put a tiny modicum of effort into the Switch version after all! Unprecedented!

That's a huge feather in the Switch's cap if it's even a semi-respectable version. I still don't trust EA, but I'm well chuffed to see them actually try with this version!

The journey doesn't interest me in the slightest so that omission is not a deal breaker for me.

I kind of like the idea of having this portable too as it is that sort of game but it's not a big deal. All I really play is FUT online so pleased that's included.

If the online is smooth and we have voice chat (and voice chat isn't as horrific as many of us fear) then EA have actually made this a reasonably tough choice for me this year.

I don't like football so I don't play FIFA... but do the players always have those dead looking eyes in the bit at the start where they shake each others hands?

I don't like football so I don't play FIFA... but do the players always have those dead looking eyes in the bit at the start where they shake each others hands?

Chelsea players do.

That video footage looks decent! Deffo picking this up on day one.

is that video docked or handheld mode??????

I assume it's handheld as there are apparently no docked versions at the EA event.

Sold, this is definitely going to be a purchase for me. The most recent dated version of FIFA I have is FIFA 13 on Wii U which is now 5 years out of date in terms of team rosters (Reading are in the Premier League in this game, Monaco are in the second division of French football, RB Leipzig aren't even in the game and some big name players of today aren't even in the game or have really average ratings) and having a proper FIFA game on the console with key features shows that EA are doing a bit better a job this time around. The lack of the Journey is fine with me, it's not a mode I particularly care for.

As patchy as EA are, the Switch needs to have a library of games so following the logic that they gave to not make FIFA anymore for the Wii U after 13 came out, FIFA 18 on the Switch needs to sell enough by EA's standards to convince them to make more. Unless the annoncement was for development reasons entirely and the reason they gave was a cover up and an excuse.

It's bloody annoying that there are no pre-order bundles for Switch. I'm can't see why they wouldn't do the same deals as PS4 and XB1, hopefully this will change soon.

It's bloody annoying that there are no pre-order bundles for Switch. I'm can't see why they wouldn't do the same deals as PS4 and XB1, hopefully this will change soon.

They may not be an official bundle. Sony have the marketing rights for the new FIFA, so this may block any official bundles for the other consoles. That's how it worked in recent years when Microsoft had the marketing rights. It wont stop the likes of GAME bundling it with a normal Switch, though.

I didn't mean console bundle. You can currently pre order this for PS4 and XB1and there are a few versions available. Basic/Ronaldo/Icon but at the moment there is no pre-order option at all for the Switch not even on Game.

I didn't mean console bundle. You can currently pre order this for PS4 and XB1and there are a few versions available. Basic/Ronaldo/Icon but at the moment there is no pre-order option at all for the Switch not even on Game.

GAME

Shopto

Just the standard editions for the Switch. I'd be surprised if there are any other editions other than the normal one.