NEurope

Good news @Clownferret, it looks like Ultimate Team is in the Switch version.

https://www.easports.com/fifa/fifa-18-nintendo-switch#

It looks like the Journey mode isn't in or Pro Clubs either. I guess we'll get more info soon.

EDIT:

HOLLYWOOD, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA) revealed the first feature details of EA SPORTS™ FIFA 18 on the Nintendo Switch™ console. The game delivers an authentic and immersive football experience, allowing fans to play the world's game anytime, anywhere.

This new edition brings the modes fans know and love, including FIFA Ultimate Team™, Career Mode, Kick Off and Local Seasons, making it the deepest portable game ever to be introduced by EA SPORTS FIFA. Ultimate Team fans will get to participate in beloved features like Squad Building Challenges, Online and Offline Seasons, Tournaments, and Draft. Players will enjoy live campaigns connected to the narrative of the football season, the Transfer Market, and more Ultimate Team features that will be revealed very soon.

"FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch is the best FIFA you can take with you anywhere, play anytime and with anyone," said Producer, Andrei Lăzărescu. "We're delivering the immersive and authentic experience that fans expect from FIFA, while leveraging innovative ways to play both at home and on the go with Nintendo Switch."

The game takes advantage of the console's unique portability, allowing players to enjoy the game in docked, handheld or tabletop mode, and utilizing local multiplayer connection for Local Seasons. Multiple control schemes are also featured, so whether you prefer to play handheld, dual Joy-Con™, single Joy-Con or Pro Controller, there's an option to fit your playstyle.

The game delivers the most technologically-advanced portable FIFA experience ever, outputting 1080p resolution when docked and 720p on handheld. Players are the most realistic they've ever been due to new Physically Based Player Rendering, and immersive, 3D environments that bring the pitch to life.

In addition to unique control and gameplay features, as well as a robust FIFA Ultimate Team, players can participate in Local Seasons across two Switch consoles, as well as Kick-Off mode, Career, Online Seasons, Tournaments, Women's International Cup and Skill Games.

Join the EA SPORTS FIFA community at Facebook and on Instagram. Follow us on Twitter @easportsfifa and use the hashtag #FIFA18.

FIFA 18 is developed by EA Vancouver and EA Romania and will be available worldwide on September 29 for Nintendo Switch

Sounds great! In for this version, methinks.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Definitely sounding good. I like the idea of local seasons, my brother comes round every Sunday so it's pretty cool that we can have a weekly league.

Now just need to see the game running. Fair play to EA as I really did think they were gonna strip it down completely.

Wonder how big the download version will be?

Now just need to see the game running.

99.9% confident this shows up during Nintendo's Treehouse Livestream, and, I suppose, probably the same goes for Skyrim too.

It's a good start from EA in terms of support (FIFA was always going to be a smart first game option for a console like the Switch), and I'd love to see some EA Originals, such as the just announced (and literally Switch-perfect, from a gameplay standpoint) The Way Out make the Switch.

I am a bit concerned about it not running on the Frostbite engine... means we will probably be getting a last-gen version closer to PS3/360 than PS4/XB1. I will probably get it regardless, but hope the gameplay is just as good.

Edited by Space

Good news indeed. A good version of FIFA on the Switch is right up my street.

Happy days. Now let's hope they put in icons. I wonder if there will be similar pre order bundle like on ps4 and xb1.

As long as the gameplay is good and everything runs smoothly, this is about as good as I could have expected from FIFA on Switch.. and I'm very interested :smile:

Does this give it parity with the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 version?

i expect it to be better then them versions. dont they run @ 30fps? switch runs 60fps.

question is will the new gameplay features that EA are touting this year (such as new crossing mechanics, dribbling, pens and on the fly substitutions) be on the switch version or not?

To be honest I would take FIFA 15/16. That would be good enough for me (besides 17 wasn't much of an upgrade IMO and ruined the game). I think expecting any sort of parity with the Frostbite versions (X1 and PS4) is unrealistic.

Still pumped at this news. Hope there's video footage to come out of Nintys presentation.

To be honest I would take FIFA 15/16. That would be good enough for me (besides 17 wasn't much of an upgrade IMO and ruined the game). I think expecting any sort of parity with the Frostbite versions (X1 and PS4) is unrealistic.

Still pumped at this news. Hope there's video footage to come out of Nintys presentation.

60fps is one of the most positive things I've taken out of the FIFA 18 information :smile: The Wii U version ran horribly so I never even considered a purchase but this game sounds satisfactory so far :hehe:

I never expected a game that would compete graphically with the PS4 version or have the gameplay nuances that feature there. An updated PS3 version is probably as good as we could realistically hope for and that seems to be what we're getting!

Due to not wanting PlayStation Plus, the ability for me to be able to play the Switch version online and in portable mode means it should be much more enjoyable despite some sacrifices in gameplay.

It's a shame EA didn't freshen up the old menus, HUD and transitions, though, as that will undoubtedly contribute to the game feeling 'old' but if the game itself is solid then that's a minor complaint.

All of this sounds pretty positive and great to see FUT included.

Let's see - if it's the Ignite engine and 60fps then we could be on to a winner.

Interview with Andrei Lazaresco on Eurogamer.

Engine built from scratch for the Switch. So they have put a lot of effort in. But I'd still rather they'd have tried to get Frostbite to build for the Switch, at least then we'd have a shot at their other games.

question is will the new gameplay features that EA are touting this year (such as new crossing mechanics, dribbling, pens and on the fly substitutions) be on the switch version or not?

That interview confirms that it has the new crossing mechanic but not the quick substitutions.

Let's see - if it's the Ignite engine and 60fps then we could be on to a winner.

Not the Ignite engine but it is running at 60fps.

Edited by V. Amoleo

Interview with Andrei Lazaresco on Eurogamer.

Engine built from scratch for the Switch. So they have put a lot of effort in. But I'd still rather they'd have tried to get Frostbite to build for the Switch, at least then we'd have a shot at their other games.

That interview confirms that it has the new crossing mechanic but not the quick substitutions.

Not the Ignite engine but it is running at 60fps.

Sounds like a good start. Very much sounds like a great portable game and will look more than good enough in handheld mode.

For those that play on TV it might not be the game people want when there are better home console versions.

If it sells well then I assume going forward we will see EA do more with the series on switch.

Edited by liger05

It sounds pretty good to me and the off-screen footage looks smooth and fun :smile:

I think FIFA 18 on Switch will be more than satisfactory :hehe:

@Clownferret Icons are in.

Here's some good details from Eurogamer.

Eurogamer impressions:

- Says game plays well & is at least as responsive as Fifa 17

- Doesn't look as good as other console versions

- Says single Joycon mode is fiddly but does an okay job.

Eurogamer interview with the Producer of the Switch version:

- Completely custom engine for Switch, not Frostbite, not Ignite

- 3D crowds, grass, new lighting

- Icons are in

- Everything in FUT works "almost exactly the same as other platforms", but no Champions.

- Can buy packs, manage your team anywhere you can connect to wifi

- No "new animation every frame", retains old "new animation every step" from FIFA 17

- 60 FPS

- No atmosphere effects/celebrating in the crowd since that's Frostbite

- New overhauled crossing is in the Switch version

- New hard tackle is in

- The new quick subbing isn't in yet, but the producer says he's "adding it to the list"

- No Journey since it's powered by Frostbite

- The producer says they could get Frostbite on the Switch, but they thought a custom engine would be a better experience

- Doesn't close the door on feature parity with the console versions in the future. Need to see where the platform goes from her

This seems like EA are putting in a fair bit of effort. There will be no more excuses for Nintendo fans if this fails to sell. It's time for them to put up or shut up.

If Nintendo could get a retail bundle out for Christmas, that'd be killer.

Though maybe the Sony contract precludes it

Sounds absolutely perfect. Let's be honest! Fifa doesn't feel that much different each year anyway. Sounds exactly what I want so instant purchase for me and no need to get the PS4 version at all.

Also sounds like next year, presuming it sells well and the switch does, they'll go even further with it. Amazing.

This may very well be my first ever purchase of a FIFA game, sounds great!