NEurope
drahkon

E3 2017 - PlayStation Live from E3

Just watched the conference with the traditional E3 Chinese food. :D

Really enjoyed it. Can't think of many games that weren't shown that I won't be buying.

If you add up the games shown today and factor in all of the other third party stuff shown in the other conferences...the rest of this year and next year are shaping up to be incredible.

Have to laugh at the "samey games" point or something to that effect, which is just typical @Ronnie, really.

This image I just found on gaf sums it up really. Bored of the endless supply of third person action games from Sony.

bmokqFo.jpg

+ a couple of multiplatform shooters, because obv. Ignoring the fact that it was the same show as last year, it was the most one-note conference I've ever seen regardless.

Edited by Ronnie

I can tell you 100% that at least 3 of those games have incredibly different playstyles regardless of the fact that they are 3rd Person perspective. This is the same type of bitching as first person shooters being too common, except at least then the core fucking mechanic (point and shoot your gun) was the same.

Hey, that image is missing Spider-Man, it's another 3rd Person action game too. I've already played Horizon so I doubt I'll bother with it though.

Stop feeding him.

I'm at work and bored though. Arguing is fun.

This image I just found on gaf sums it up really. Bored of the endless supply of third person action games from Sony.

bmokqFo.jpg

+ a couple of multiplatform shooters, because obv. Ignoring the fact that it was the same show as last year, it was the most one-note conference I've ever seen regardless.

Why aren't you commenting on Undertale.

Oh right, doesn't fit the agenda.

Obviously those games play somewhat differently. It would be pretty laughable if they all played identically.

Yoshi's Wooly World and Kirby Rainbow Paintbrush play completely differently but it didn't stop everyone saying Nintendo only make 2D platformers.

Why aren't you commenting on Undertale.

Oh right, doesn't fit the agenda.

Undertale????

I didn't comment on Undertale because it's an indie game, and not a first party Playstation exclusive shown off at their conference.

I have no agenda, I simply believe that not only does the AAA landscape lack any sort of imagination or variety but in terms of this discussion Playstation first party games are cookie cutter in design, tone and execution.

In terms of my first point, look at the next big thing, Anthem, looks fantastic but it's a mech-based third person openworld shooter set in a dystopian future.

Please don't engage...just don't.

“There are things we have held [back],” Yoshida laughed. “We chose not to show those at E3 2017, but there will be some more news coming out from our teams later this year. No question.”

From PushSquare (

).

Obviously he's going to say that :D But I believe Shu. They didn't need to bring out the big guns, even though it would've been cool.

Looking forward to PlayStation Experience already : peace:

I have no agenda

You clearly do.

I'm banning you from the thread until further notice.

Its interesting how much effort Sony seems to put into the effects for people actually at the conference. Feels like I would enjoy it a lot more if I was there.

Apparently though on the streaming end they were putting out 2 slightly different streams which is weird. Things like the Miles Morales reveal in the Spider-Man trailer were messed up on one but not the other.

Please don't engage...just don't.

From PushSquare (

).

Obviously he's going to say that :D But I believe Shu. They didn't need to bring out the big guns, even though it would've been cool.

Looking forward to PlayStation Experience already : peace:

They usually put on a conference for either Gamescom or Paris Games Week ( I imagine Dreams will show up here due to a more fitting setting ) and always have a Pre-Tokyo Games Show conference ( I think the new From game will debut here ). So there's plenty opportunity to show more stuff off throughout the year.

Its interesting how much effort Sony seems to put into the effects for people actually at the conference. Feels like I would enjoy it a lot more if I was there.

Apparently though on the streaming end they were putting out 2 slightly different streams which is weird. Things like the Miles Morales reveal in the Spider-Man trailer were messed up on one but not the other.

I noticed that as well. On the one I watched I seen the Miles reveal but when I watched the EZA stream they didn't have a clue what was going on as it was botched.

They usually put on a conference for either Gamescom or Paris Games Week ( I imagine Dreams will show up here due to a more fitting setting ) and always have a Pre-Tokyo Games Show conference ( I think the new From game will debut here ). So there's plenty opportunity to show more stuff off throughout the year.

They skipped Gamescom last year, didn't they? But attended Paris Games Week?

I'd like them to attend Gamescom this year. It's Europe's biggest video game expo.

I noticed that as well. On the one I watched I seen the Miles reveal but when I watched the EZA stream they didn't have a clue what was going on as it was botched.

Yeah it was the same with the Giant Bomb stream. They only realised afterwards when someone in their chat told them.

I'd like them to attend Gamescom this year. It's Europe's biggest video game expo.

Was that when Microsoft had a big conference? I remember them skipping Gamescom and everyone assuming it just made sense as they would drown under the other coverage.

Yeah, which was a shame because their Gamescom conference from the previous year was great.

I noticed the effects during parts of the IGN stream. Looked pretty cool, tbh. I'm all for making a "show" out of the whole thing. :D

I think twitch had some issues.

Youtube was fine for me.

Here's a great piece by the guys over at PushSquare.

I write about video games for a living, so I'm used to seeing people overreact on the internet. I've grown accustomed to seeing people spew hilarious hyperbole on a regular basis - hell, I've done it myself - but there's something about E3 that rubs me the wrong way. Namely, the annual Los Angeles event brings out some of the biggest hypocrites that the gaming community has to offer.

Ultimately, publishers simply can't win when it comes to putting on press conferences. The little nugget of wisdom that is "you can't please everyone" applies to almost all aspects of entertainment, but it's been at the forefront of my mind throughout this year's E3. Putting so much effort into crafting a huge press conference only to have it casually dismissed as "boring" or "garbage" by forum users must be infuriating.

Now, I don't think E3 2017 has been that good. We've seen some great looking games that's for sure, but it hasn't set the industry alight. Surprises have been few and far between, and the conferences themselves have been a little lacking in life. I don't think any one presser really stood out, and at the end of the day, I think most of us watch E3 unfold because we want to be entertained. It's a time when games are elevated beyond their status as consumer products - they're put on display like works of art in a really expensive gallery.

But what actually makes a good press conference? What convinces us that a publisher is at the top of its trade? I imagine most would argue that it's all about the games; show us the goods and we'll be happy. Factor in a few key reveals here and there - make the audience gasp in disbelief at least once - and you're onto something special. The only problem is that even when a publisher ticks all the boxes, you'll still get people saying it wasn't what they wanted.

Case in point, let's take a look at Sony. At E3 2015 the PlayStation maker blew us away with three massive reveals: the return of The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and Shenmue III. In terms of pure spectacle, I reckon this was one of the best ever E3 press conferences. However, many will quickly dismiss it based on the fact that only one of those titles has made it to market since. That's fair enough, but if you're going to brush aside mind-blowing reveals in favour of gameplay demos and trailers for games that we know are coming, then you surely can't be too critical of Sony's latest show.

Did Sony have a brilliant E3 2017 press conference? No, I don't think it did. Why's that? Well, because it was light on surprises. For me, a Final Fantasy VII Remake-esque moment would have propped the entire show up, but aside from Monster Hunter World and Shadow of the Colossus, everything was pretty much expected. Sony played it safe, but once again, safe isn't good enough for some people - and that's fine. I just hope these same people aren't looking at Sony's E3 2015 presser and saying it was weak for having too many hollow reveals.

You can't look at the Metroid Prime 4 announcement, which consisted of a title screen, and exclaim "Nintendo won E3!" if you then turn around and dismiss the hype of Beyond Good & Evil 2's CG trailer. You can't complain about Sony's lack of human interaction and then moan when a developer hops on stage to talk for more than a minute elsewhere. You can't rant about exclusives being the only games that matter and then say Sony should have padded its show out with third party titles. You can't criticise a developer for "boring" gameplay demos and then say cinematic trailers shouldn't be allowed. You can't say Sony's VR segment was too long and then claim the company isn't properly supporting the device. You can't shout about fans being planted in the audience to provide some cheer and then complain when there isn't enough "atmosphere". You can't use the classic "companies aren't your friends" line and then cry when one doesn't wheel out the exact things that you want. In short, don't be a bloody hypocrite.

So, publishers can't possibly win when it comes to putting on E3 press conferences - you're never going to please everyone. But what you can do is temper expectations. I've mentioned this many times before, but expectations can be horribly dangerous things. The Xbox fans who convinced themselves that the Xbox One X would be priced at $399 and then swore vengeance against Microsoft when $499 hit the screen? That's their own fault. If you get your own hopes up so high to the point where you're never going to be impressed, then why are you sitting in comments sections and on forums typing "this year's E3 was the worst ever!"? Have some self control. Not just for your sake, but for ours as well.

I know it sounds a bit sad - no one likes to act high and mighty on the bloody internet of all places - but reading such hypocritical guff drives me up the wall. And if this kind of stuff gets to me, then I really hope publishers and events organisers don't take it too personally.

Sony and Nintendo have signature games that seem to be diametrically opposed to each other; Nintendo make aesthetically cartoonish, Japanese-centric games where gameplay is king and story is (almost literally) non-existent; Sony make technically stunning, visually realistic games, with (almost unparalleled) levels or narrative and emotion.

Which I think is fine. Both companies know what they excel at, and they deliver it.

I think it's a slightly less tenable position for Nintendo though since their third party support does not pick up the slack and Sony still do on occasion release games like Ratchet & Clank.

Obviously this is a generalisation but I would say it holds pretty true.

Sony and Nintendo have signature games that seem to be diametrically opposed to each other; Nintendo make aesthetically cartoonish, Japanese-centric games where gameplay is king and story is (almost literally) non-existent; Sony make technically stunning, visually realistic games, with (almost unparalleled) levels or narrative and emotion.

Which I think is fine. Both companies know what they excel at, and they deliver it.

Spot on.

It's why I find owning both of their platforms makes for some great and varied gaming experiences.