NEurope
drahkon

E3 2017 - PlayStation Live from E3

Spider-Man could be special but it's hard to judge how much of it is open world at this point. Insomniac have really pulled it out of the hat though.

Edit: seems pretty open world, fears allayed

That combat system in the Spider-Man game is awesome. Glad there are more games for PS VR.

Spider-Man could be special but it's hard to judge how much of it is open world at this point. Insomniac have really pulled it out of the hat though.

It looks great, and huge at that. If we get the whole of NY open world, it would be amazing.

Not a fan of the real time, slow motion, quick reaction stuff, though. I'd much rather that stay in the Telltale games where it belongs: true linear branching stories. Of course, I don't mind if it shows up occasionally in the game, but if this is every other boss fight, it could hinder my anticipation substantially.

That was so incredibly underwhelming. Detroit was looking nice and I suppose SotC remake was unexpected, but I don't like SotC, so eh.

Monster Hunter World has me more confused than intrigued. Looks more open-world like the rumour suggested, which worries me.

Rest was just dull. 4/10

Oh, but Final Fantasy XV Fishing.

Why?

Edited by Glen-i

That was pretty terrible.

Samey games, no big reveals, everything they announced (too early) last year or the year before shown off again with a release date next year.

Also, Layden's smug "aren't we great" attitude is starting to really bug me.

Shadow of the Colossus was a nice surprise, even though it's yet another remake, otherwise absolutely nothing new of interest.

I think Ubisoft was by far the best conference so far. Every game was completely different to the last, loads of variety, loads of fun. Something for everyone and some fantastic reveals.

Horizon, Days Gone, God of War, Uncharted, Detroit, all third person action games, no big reveals (!!) and all games we'd seen before.

Edit: seems pretty open world, fears allayed

Shame it's so reliant on quicktime events, felt like an interactive film at points.

There was literally almost no talking.

Why bother having a conference though? May as well do a pre-recorded show.

If Skull & Bones and BG&E 2 weren't online games, I'd agree.

Shame it's so reliant on quicktime events, felt like an interactive film at points.

The stuff prior to the helicopter looked fantastic. Shame they had to cinematic with the helicopter. But it looks great. I think Insomniac might pull it off.

I don't understand the no talking.

What's the need for a stage, with a huge audience if you are essentially just going to play video clips one after the other?

I know people want as much games as possible but I do feel this conference's need to have something else other than video after video.

If not just do what Nintendo do.

What's the need for a stage, with a huge audience if you are essentially just going to play video clips one after the other?

I know people want as much games as possible but I do feel this conference's need to have something else other than video after video.

Probably to create spectacle. Apparently the stage was constantly transforming during the conference but obviously us at home don't get to experience that. It's like asking why bother creating these massive booths at E3 when you could just set up a bunch of consoles and then just leave it at that. It's not just about the games but also about showmanship and leaving an impression.

I think for both Sony -- and Nintendo -- having a presence on stage would be a great move, as many fans attending E3 want to see the newest and greatest games promised on the biggest screen possible, etc. Nothing can get you going like a live atmosphere.

I think it would be a great move if Nintendo filled the auditorium and just played the Spotlight after a short introduction, because there's nothing to get a crowd going like a nostalgic publisher/developer like Nintendo, and what they could potentially have in store later could bring a few years to some eyes.

Same goes for Sony, but the big difference, I feel, is that people watching the livestream shouldn't be getting these weird angles inside the auditorium. Short intro followed by a slew of trailers in a row - perhaps with developer comments inbetween in the video - that feels like a show, and ending it off with a final word from them before showing something else. They almost had it right, but it really, really didn't need to be a live feed this time around, and I think it hurt them.

After thinking about it some more:

Good conference. They played it safe but it works because they are in such a great position.

Still, should've announced at least one big new game...

I wonder how Sony will approach Gamescom and their own PlayStation Experience now. Play it safe again? Not sure if they can afford that for three big showings in a year. And I highly doubt they're stupid enough to do that :D

After thinking about it some more:

Good conference. They played it safe but it works because they are in such a great position.

Still, should've announced at least one big new game...

Pretty much. While it's not good to get cocky, they can afford to take it easy, especially in light of the Xbox conference. Sony have highlighted the games for 2018, they've had an amazing first half of the year and the rest of the year is already stupidly strong for the PS4.

Pretty much. While it's not good to get cocky, they can afford to take it easy, especially in light of the Xbox conference.

Yup. I don't think they'll get cocky. If they have similar showings for Gamescom, TGS and PlayStation Experience...I'll stand corrected then :D

Sony have highlighted the games for 2018, they've had an amazing first half of the year and the rest of the year is already stupidly strong for the PS4.

Indeed.

I stand by what I said last night: Unless you're going PC, PS4+Switch will be the best way to play in the next few years.

Nintendo could knock it out of the park later today and I really hope they do. I want those sweet Nintendo IPs and more new IPs :)

I definitely agree - PS4 + Switch for the ultimate experience. The majority of the games shown at that conference are either 2017 and 2018.

Although safe it was a good conference.

Game after game. What isn't there to like? I felt I was sharing the experience with the audience.

Solid but mostly forgettable. I thought it would be a quiet year and as far as quiet years go, it was a good one. But still quiet. But in some ways I'm thankful because the release schedule so far this year has been unrelenting.

I enjoyed the conference. They showed more of the games I'm interested in seeing more of with a couple of surprises/reveals in MH:World & Shadow of the Colossus, that's all I really wanted.

Crazy how many of the games shown I'll definitely be buying. Days Gone, Destiny 2, Detroit, God of War, Horizon: The Frozen Winds, Monster Hunter: World, Shadow of the Colossus (once I've played The Last Guardian), Spider-Man & Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

That is one impressive list of games.

Include Battlefront 2, Metro Exodus, The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2, Fifa 18, South Park and all the games I've yet to buy, I'm set for the next 18 months.

No reason for me to invest in another games console any time soon. Thanks Sony!

Edited by lostmario

Where was Dreams? Another game revealed far too early. Really hope development is going ok, I'm a bit worried about Media Molecule given Tearaway's limp promotion (twice)

Where was Dreams? Another game revealed far too early. Really hope development is going ok, I'm a bit worried about Media Molecule given Tearaway's limp promotion (twice)

They said they weren't showing at E3 as they're busy working on it..

They said they weren't showing at E3 as they're busy working on it..

Revealed four years ago!

I don't much see the appeal of it. Looked nice but boring.

The PS store is updated with an e3 section.

The e3 Marvel vs Capcom demo is up.

Revealed four years ago!

So? If they hadn't revealed it people would assume the company was in danger as they hadn't released anything in so long. Either way, these people can't win.

There's more than enough to play until Dreams comes along.