NEurope
Julius

Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Can't say I agree. Black 2/White 2 did this with the PWT. Which had all the Gym Leaders and Champions available to battle.

Well, I was talking specifically about villainous team leaders, not gym leaders or champions (in any case, though, PWT also had a sense of finality to it in how it brought all of those characters together in one big tournament that takes it well beyond the point of just being a nod to the older games).

My point was that I’m glad that they didn’t just rehash the PWT from BW2 and went with something similar, but with a twist (that we can face all the past evil team leaders, though I won’t be too surprised if this comes with the caveat that Archie and Maxie are exclusive to different versions). 

My wording that this was the best way to do that is very much an absolute statement that I don’t think I even agree with; perhaps the best way to word it would have been that it’s the next best thing after the PWT :p 

Eh? They reused pretty much all of the tracks though? The only one that got remixed was Red's Theme from G/S.

Sorry, perhaps I should have been clearer (I forgot that quite a few of Pokémon’s musical titles literally have the word “theme” in them); I was referring to musical themes, not tracks titled specifically as “Themes”, such as how the piece Vs Champion begins with the battle theme found at the beginning of Pokémon Red and Blue’s piece Opening.

Also...all of the tracks that “returned” were remixed to some extent (i.e. altered and re-recorded, whether that be added to, taken away from, changed in tempo, etc.), not just “Red’s Theme” (I know what you’re referring to here, but there isn’t a track called Red’s Theme in any case :p). Reusing them would imply that they literally used the same recording from GS in SM.

Even the theme that I used as an example was remixed. Another example: the Champion Blue Encounter track in SM is clearly a remixed version of the original Blue Encounter in RGB.

Edited by Julius Caesar

I think it's interesting Max and Archie are in their original design from Ruby and Sapphire, as opposed to their redesign in ORAS.
The games are supposed to be in an alternate dimension and could tie into more of the multi dimensions hinted in at the previous games.

New details about Pokemon Ultra Sun and Pokemon Ultra Moon were unleashed today. Some of the information pertained to Legendary Pokemon. Both versions will have their own exclusives, and we have the full list below.

Pokemon Ultra Sun

– Ho-Oh
– Raikou
– Groudon
– Latios
– Dialga
– Heatran
– Reshiram
– Tornadus
– Xerneas

Pokemon Ultra Moon

– Lugia
– Entei
– Kyogre
– Latias
– Palkia
– Regigigas
– Zekrom
– Thundurus
– Yveltal

It’s also worth mentioning that a few Legendary Pokemon will require the presence of two others in your party. Here’s the list:

– Suicune (with Raikou and Entei present)
– Rayquaza (with Groudon and Kyogre present)
– Giratina (with Dialga and Palkia present)
– Kyurem (with Reshiram and Zekrom present)
– Landorus (with Tornadus and Thundurus present)

Moon stays winning by having Lugia, Entei, Kyogre and Yveltal in it.

So it's basically rehashing the ORAS post game concept but instead of needing to soar around, you now need to enter other dimensions.

37 minutes ago, markderoos said:

So it's basically rehashing the ORAS post game concept but instead of needing to soar around, you now need to enter other dimensions.

And I mean, Hoopa’s rings in ORAS were more-or-less other dimensions too (or at least they felt like it) :/

I can understand why they make every Pokémon available with every generation of the core series, but there are just so many Pokémon now that I think that there are better ways to go about doing this than just shoving them in for the sake of it moving forwards, such as having 50% of non-native Pokémon available in one generation, the other 50% available in the next generation, etc.

I thought that this was the main reason why Bank was produced. 

I don't understand why they do this with legendary Pokemon while seemingly having absolutely no problem with making it nearly impossible to capture event/mythical Pokemon from older generations. Too many legendary's in one game just feel shoehorned in and it get's very repetitive/tedious to capture them.

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Moon stays winning by having Lugia, Entei, Kyogre and Yveltal in it.

Yo, as someone who has actually trained all of these Pokemon and used them in Battle Tree/Online Battles. Let me drop some actual knowledge on you.

Groudon has Kyogre trumped on so many aspects! Coolness, battle prowess, ability to walk. Thunder Punch catches every Kyogre off guard, works every time.

You're also conveniently glossing over the fact that Sun has Heatran, one hell of a pseudo Legendary, meanwhile Moon has Regigigas, by far the most useless one. It's total dead weight.

Raikou is more useful than Entei (Entei only just got a Physical Fire move in Gen 6) and Palkia is better than Dialga (Water/Dragon is a great type combination) Xerneas beats Yveltal (Fairy Legendaries are hard to counter, Geomancy is also hella broken. I do prefer Yveltal though)

The Latis depend on whether you want offense or defense. They're both great. Zekrom and Reshiram are pretty balanced as well. (Zekrom is cooler but White Kyurem is ridiculously powerful) The only pluses Moon has is Lugia (Although it needs it's Hidden ability, which is currently available from G/S VC. Ho-Oh has the same issue) Thundurus is better than Tornadus.

If you want useful legendaries, Sun's the way to go. (Of course, I don't care, I already got them all, EV trained and ready to go)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, markderoos said:

I don't understand why they do this with legendary Pokemon while seemingly having absolutely no problem with making it nearly impossible to capture event/mythical Pokemon from older generations. Too many legendary's in one game just feel shoehorned in and it get's very repetitive/tedious to capture them.

It's because of competitive Pokemon Battling. Currently, under usual Pokemon rules, it's completely illegal to use Pokemon that aren't part of the Alola Pokedex. If it wasn't caught in S/M, it's not allowed to be used. Making every Legendary available in Gen 7 allows them to be used and allows more open choices. Even if everyone does end up having a Landorus on their team...

It's a really irritating rule. Because if I want to use my hilarious Groudon in an online tournament, I have to catch a new one. I can't just use my one from Omega Ruby.

Edited by Glen-i

Is that so they can somehow check for fake Pokemon? How do they check for modded Pokemon?

3 minutes ago, bob said:

Is that so they can somehow check for fake Pokemon? How do they check for modded Pokemon?

I think so, but I'm not entirely sure on how they go about it. So it's time to call the only person you should when something is beyond my scope.

OI! @Serebii! GET IN HERE!  Do you have an idea on how Game Freak check for modded Pokémon? They have been clamping down on it quite a bit over the past year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Yo, as someone who has actually trained all of these Pokemon and used them in Battle Tree/Online Battles. Let me drop some actual knowledge on you.

You seem to have me mistaken with someone who actually gives a toss about competitive and end game battling.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You seem to have me mistaken with someone who actually gives a toss about competitive and end game battling.

Then why even bother with legendaries? Still, fair enough, but some people might care. I'm also not gonna sit back and have you suggest Kyogre is better than Groudon, because it isn't.

Because they look cool and come in handy when battling the Elite 4 or whatever the equivalent is in the game.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I think so, but I'm not entirely sure on how they go about it. So it's time to call the only person you should when something is beyond my scope.

OI! @Serebii! GET IN HERE!  Do you have an idea on how Game Freak check for modded Pokémon? They have been clamping down on it quite a bit over the past year.

Basically checking if the values people create are valid. It's possible to create Pokémon that don't have anything wrong, but people are lazy and miss bits

• Thanks 1

In true Pokemon fashion, leaks of the new games have started appearing.

Spoiler

DOFqDGgVoAAxwJh.png

unknown.png

There's loads of details, including story and full Pokedex that have been leaked. Apparently there are lots of references to the Kanto region. Gooooooooooooood. :D 

Oh yes, more Kanto references! Because S/M wasn't jam packed with those already... Anyway, dead horse beating aside, guess I'm going on blackout until I play through the game.

Liking the new Pokemon designs.

Spoiler

Yeah, I knew Lance's gym would just be a replica (or to do with the portals) and you don't actually go to Kanto.

My copy of Ultra Moon has been despatched. I ordered it from Simply Games.

Seems high scores for something that is essentially the same game released 12 months ago with added features.

I've ordered the game and it may arrive tomorrow but part of me thinks that its a little too early to go through Alola again. It was about a year ago since Sun & Moon was released. I wish that I never bothered with that now.

Also I wish they just released it as DLC but I suppose why bother when the game sells millions. I'm part of the problem.

• Thanks 2

Well, in their own right, the new games are really good as was SM. So the high scores are perfectly believable for new players. For players who played SM, though, there should be another score or verdict. Is it worth the upgrade for those? 

• Like 3

My copy of Ultra Moon arrived today. I'll be playing it on the train to work tomorrow :D

I'm just gonna go to my local independent game shop tomorrow and get it there.

Proper Old School, me. Which I now realise is incredibly ironic given my stance on Pokemon Pandering these days. This game is going to be far worse on that account, isn't it? I bet Team Plasma only gets mentioned once, by Ghetsis and only because he's contractually obliged, as long as they don't pull a "Battle Frontier reference" like in ORAS again. That was actually offensive.