NEurope
Julius

Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon

Due for release globally on November 17th for the 3DS family of consoles, these games offer an alternate story taking place in the world of Sun and Moon, featuring Pokémon that didn't appear in the original versions. New features will allow you to enjoy your adventure even more, making this truly an Ultra title.

mobile-center_sd84kw0d.png

Sounds more like DLC than a new game.

I was gonna say the same thing.

We'll see how much new stuff will be in these games.

I'll see if it's worth picking up either US/UM nearer the time/once i know more information and what's new in each game

As I've said elsewhere, this news is a huge drop of the ball by Pokémon for me.

SM was more of a JRPG than any other game in the franchise, I would argue, with a huge focus on the bonds between characters and the story. To have those great characters progressions and story retconned only a year later with "Ultra" versions?

Darn it Pokémon. I'll wait and see, but I'm 95% sure you've got this all wrong.

No Switch no buy

Not surprising to me considering that Pokémon's general stance is to wait for a large enough install base to warrant releasing games that will sell ~15 million units or so, so next November always looked more likely to me (especially considering Super Mario Odyssey comes out some time this November/December).

No doubts at all that this game is probably already nearing completion (though Eurogamer was wrong about Stars, considering that this is just an upgraded version of SM, wouldn't surprise me if they were right about the games being worked on at the same time).

On the up side, I suppose this lowers expectations slightly for a pair of Pokémon games on Switch, meaning they can surprise us with an excellent pair of games. I still stand by that this move was something of a lazy one on their behalf...

I really didn't like this game.

Won't be a purchase from me. Seems like an odd decision to re-release it with added stuff. Almost like it's giving the new 2ds more of a purpose as I'm sure people will buy into that knowing this is coming.

Not surprising to me considering that Pokémon's general stance is to wait for a large enough install base to warrant releasing games that will sell ~15 million units or so, so next November always looked more likely to me (especially considering Super Mario Odyssey comes out some time this November/December).

No doubts at all that this game is probably already nearing completion (though Eurogamer was wrong about Stars, considering that this is just an upgraded version of SM, wouldn't surprise me if they were right about the games being worked on at the same time).

On the up side, I suppose this lowers expectations slightly for a pair of Pokémon games on Switch, meaning they can surprise us with an excellent pair of games. I still stand by that this move was something of a lazy one on their behalf...

Stars was probably a codename, rather than the intended final name. The rumour wasn't really wrong per-say, just incomplete in that it's a sequel game ALA Black 2/White 2, rather than just an expanded version ALA Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum. It's still fills the role of "3rd version" and the time frame given was correct (it's being released shockingly soon after S/M BTW! Faster than any previous "3rd version" by a long-shot)

The only thing that was wrong (and admittedly, it's a big miss) is that it was supposed to be coming to Switch. Could've gotten wires crossed about Pokken DX though I suppose.

Stars was probably a codename, rather than the intended final name. The rumour wasn't really wrong per-say, just incomplete in that it's a sequel game ALA Black 2/White 2, rather than just an expanded version ALA Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum. It's still fills the role of "3rd version" and the time frame given was correct (it's being released shockingly soon after S/M BTW! Faster than any previous "3rd version" by a long-shot!

Is there something I've missed when watching the Direct and reading up on this game? ::shrug: everything I've seen/read so far has pointed to it being a pair of third version style games as opposed to sequels, hence how gutted I am, and it was alluded to by Masuda as such when calling it an "alternate story" to SM?

Is there something I've missed when watching the Direct and reading up on this game? ::shrug: everything I've seen/read so far has pointed to it being a pair of third version style games as opposed to sequels, hence how gutted I am, and it was alluded to by Masuda as such when calling it an "alternate story" to SM?

That's how Black 2/White 2 were referred to. New story set in the same world. This seems to be the same thing.

I don't know if they'll be labelled as "sequels" though because from my understanding (I am yet to play S/M so correct me if I'm wrong), the two versions of S/M take place at alternate times and that factors into the story with some sort of timey-wimey nonsense. So the story will probably revolve around some sort of time-shifting, meaning that they might take place in an alternate dimension at the same time? (meaning that they might not actually be "sequels" that take place afterwards, but rather an alternate story that takes place at or around the same time).

In the end it's basically the same thing as BW2 anyway.

Edited by Dcubed

The only thing that was wrong (and admittedly, it's a big miss) is that it was supposed to be coming to Switch. Could've gotten wires crossed about Pokken DX though I suppose.

Well didn't it just get listed as being for Switch on their own website and then The Pokémon Company had to backtrack and deny it? Sounds almost like it may have also been planned for Switch but they missed a deadline or something.

Well didn't it just get listed as being for Switch on their own website and then The Pokémon Company had to backtrack and deny it? Sounds almost like it may have also been planned for Switch but they missed a deadline or something.

Watch this getting a Switch release in 8-12 months, just to make people buy it again :p

That's how Black 2/White 2 were referred to. New story set in the same world. This seems to be the same thing.

I don't know if they'll be labelled as "sequels" though because from my understanding (I am yet to play S/M so correct me if I'm wrong), the two versions of S/M take place at alternate times and that factors into the story with some sort of timey-wimey nonsense. So the story will probably revolve around some sort of time-shifting, meaning that they might take place in an alternate dimension at the same time? (meaning that they might not actually be "sequels" that take place afterwards, but rather an alternate story that takes place at or around the same time).

In the end it's basically the same thing as BW2 anyway.

From where I'm standing, alternate story =/= new story in a similar fashion to the third version stories, and the promise of new Pokémon followed by a Lycanroc makes me think that these "new Pokémon" will simply be alt. forms that were not available/rare in the originals and other Pokémon from previous generations.

I could be wrong, but the base character model being the exact same (which they didn't do previously with BW2) with new clothes hints at a third version upgrade, perhaps even more so, similar to how RS and DP player characters received updated looks in their respective third versions.

A third version type game would be wholly different to BW2, as that continued the story in Unova; from what I can gather, this game is taking place in Alola, like SM, but will have slight aesthetic and story changes (such as Solgaleo or Lunala being amalgamated with Necrozma).

But alas, if it is a sequel, I'd be a lot more excited, but like I've said, I really don't think such a statement was made clear during or after the Direct.

From where I'm standing, alternate story =/= new story in a similar fashion to the third version stories, and the promise of new Pokémon followed by a Lycanroc makes me think that these "new Pokémon" will simply be alt. forms that were not available/rare in the originals and other Pokémon from previous generations.

I could be wrong, but the base character model being the exact same (which they didn't do previously with BW2) with new clothes hints at a third version upgrade, perhaps even more so, similar to how RS and DP player characters received updated looks in their respective third versions.

A third version type game would be wholly different to BW2, as that continued the story in Unova; from what I can gather, this game is taking place in Alola, like SM, but will have slight aesthetic and story changes (such as Solgaleo or Lunala being amalgamated with Necrozma).

But alas, if it is a sequel, I'd be a lot more excited, but like I've said, I really don't think such a statement was made clear during or after the Direct.

Well we'll no doubt see it at Treehouse Live next week, so not long to go until we get a clearer idea of things either way.

I don't know if they'll be labelled as "sequels" though because from my understanding (I am yet to play S/M so correct me if I'm wrong), the two versions of S/M take place at alternate times and that factors into the story with some sort of timey-wimey nonsense.

You're almost right. They're actually two different dimensions. Which becomes apparent when you use your cover legendary to go into the dimension of the opposite version.

Anyway, Black 2/White 2 had some of the best post-game content in Pokemon history. And it didn't even have a Battle Frontier, so colour me intrigued.

Don't screw this up, Game Freak.

Also, does this make Necrozma a complete rip-off of Kyurem?

A new form got revealed this week for this game

ichooseyoucappikachu.jpg

Jesus.

Surely there must be more left at the bottom of the barrel to scrape than another fucking Pikachu.

Next character reveal for Dokken deluxe spoiled then.

Amazon Canada and USA has revealed a dual Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon steelbook; I think it looks pretty neat, so I hope it comes over the Atlantic!

Exterior

81M0mj2pjeL._SL1500_.jpg

Interior

91F2xiQXW7L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Julius Caesar

Might be USUM related, might not be (my personal opinion is that it's the former, but we'll see). Very intriguing video nonetheless!

8 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

Might be USUM related, might not be (my personal opinion is that it's the former, but we'll see). Very intriguing video nonetheless!

It's not.

This is the latest in a long line of Pokémon Daisuki Club mini sites that delve into the lore of the series. They always promote it with a teaser of sorts and then release the site a week later. This time, they're delving into Pokémon that are not of this world.

They have done this so many times and it is just a part of the Pokémon Daisuki Club website. It's not indicative of anything.

So are we getting three different steelbooks for this?

Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon and Ultra Dual?

51 minutes ago, V. Amoleo said:

So are we getting three different steelbooks for this?

Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon and Ultra Dual?

Yup. Will make up for us inevitably getting it a week later, I suppose.

eufan.jpg

Personally, I'm not keen on the interiors for our solo game ones. OR/AS had much nicer ones. The Primal Groudon artwork is way better than US or UM too.

3ds-steelbox-pokemon-red-simu_ps_3d-zoom

Gorgeous

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1