NEurope
Julius

Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon

Right, I'm off to get my copy of Pokemon: Kanto Reference smorgasbord version. So I thought I'd share what @Ugh first aid and I are doing this go around. We're both doing a Gym Leader run. We had a random number generator decide a type (We excluded Dragon and Fairy, because they're OP) and we were only allowed to use Pokemon of that type for our playthrough.

She got Psychic (I gave her a Drowzee Egg to start her off, because none of the starters are Psychic) and I got Grass. Dual types are allowed as long their final evolution has that type. (So she can use Pichu, because Alolan Raichu is Electric/Psychic) Naturally this ends up with a battle between us once we finish the game. No legendary Pokemon, obviously. So that's how we're spicing up the game. Thought it might be nice if other Sun/Moon veterans followed suit.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Got my dual pack, had to pick mine up from the depot because DPD suck. I got Rowlet as my figure, wanted Litten. Oh well.

These don't follow the current trend of not having the age ratings on the game box. :(

So, I've noticed something interesting. I traded with my old Sun file. And afterwards, I activated Game Sync on Ultra Sun.

Naturally, this causes my old Sun File shows up in the Festival Plaza. And that's when something weird happens.

My Sun character is now wearing the exact same outfit as my Ultra Sun character. Which should be impossible, because the default bag is not in Sun. Which leads to my question... Does the game actually know that I traded with myself because both of my files are on the same Global Link account?

17 minutes ago, Ugh first aid said:

...Stuffing me with Drowzee as my starter...Curse you @Glen-i CURSE YOU!

You should treat your RotomDex better then.

So @Serebii, I know you're probably ludicrously busy documenting US/UM and all, but something strange is going on with @Ugh first aid's game. Her RotomDex is always looking depressed.

ZjolPon.jpg

She taps it and it's back to normal, but then 5 minutes later, it's sad again. And we have no idea why. It's not happened once on my game, so it's really confusing.

• Like 2

Surprised to find an Inkay so early, tempted to use it but I don't like Malamar that much.

About to do the Grass Trial, and here's my all Grass team so far. Nicknames in brackets.

Quilladin (Arthur) Lv 29

Dartrix (Bob) Lv 29

Grovyle (Jupitol) Lv 29

Parasect (Parry) Lv 30

Cacnea (Cassandra) Lv 29

What have I learned? Well, the selection of Grass Pokemon in this game is woefully crap. I thought I'd have more choice, but looked up what's there and didn't like most of what I saw. So I transferred a Chespin and Cacnea egg over and used Island Scan to nab a Grovyle. I plan on getting Exeggcute later on. Never used a Parasect before, so that's been fun.

The game once again limits my clothes colours to warm colours, and I can't find a 3 star Blue Dye shop in Festival Plaza and it's making me very upset.

I've had one black out so far, predictably on the Fire Trial. Seems gimping myself is the only chance of getting some challenge and even then, it's only because I had a humongous disadvantage. Grinded around three levels, changed my usual Totem fight strategy (Go for the smaller ones ASAP) and nailed it the second time without a single fainting, typical.

Spoiler

That water trial caught me off guard, they would change the Wishiwashi for a Araquanid when I have a team of Pokemon weak to bug... Battered it though. The Totem fights are still a total joke.

By the way, word to the wise, there's a really cool side quest that gets activated if you talk to a kid on Big Wave Beach after you beat the first Grand Trial. I recommend doing it. Great stuff. Mantine Surfing is loads of fun and seems to be a really easy way to get BP. (Shame I've already got all the Mega Stones on Sun)

But yeah, finding all the small changes has been fun. It's also been interesting to be getting @Dcubed's views, seeing as he never played S/M.

Fun fact: So far, this game has about 20% more Kanto references and 20% more Nebby not staying in the bloody bag!

Oh, and one more thing...

jgKODLE.jpg

Q5amKB8.jpg

8x4yuzc.jpg

The Photo Booth is WAY too much fun!

• Haha 1

On 18/11/2017 at 5:39 AM, Glen-i said:

You should treat your RotomDex better then.

So @Serebii, I know you're probably ludicrously busy documenting US/UM and all, but something strange is going on with @Ugh first aid's game. Her RotomDex is always looking depressed.

ZjolPon.jpg

She taps it and it's back to normal, but then 5 minutes later, it's sad again. And we have no idea why. It's not happened once on my game, so it's really confusing.

This happens to me, but it's probably because I keep poking him in the eye.

Chained a Mareep as soon as I found one, didn't end up with up with a shiny one though. Hopefully got one with good IVs at least.

6 hours ago, Ike said:

This happens to me, but it's probably because I keep poking him in the eye.

I think my one was the odd one. Rotomdex is now being depressed for me as well. Still, it seems that if you poke it when this happens a few times, you'll get a chance at Roto Lotto. So it's cool. But now Rotom won't stop giving me "Unwanted advice" I just want it to be my map. But he WON'T STOP TALKING! And he keeps trying to get me to use items after battles. Ugh...

Anyway, Ghost Trial done. And I've noticed that every totem has either a Fire/Bug/Flying/Poison move. They must really have wanted Decidueye to be the wrong choice of starter this time, huh? My team is weak against 80% of the fights I have and it's hilarious.

Team is the same as before, but everyone's evolved now and at Lv 40.

Pokemon Bank has now been updated for use with the Ultra games. Transporter has also been updated for use with the VC versions of Gold and Silver.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Anyway, Ghost Trial done. And I've noticed that every totem has either a Fire/Bug/Flying/Poison move. They must really have wanted Decidueye to be the wrong choice of starter this time, huh? My team is weak against 80% of the fights I have and it's hilarious.

I did my first run of Sun with Rowlet/Dartrix/Decidueye, and though you're right about totem match-up's, the fact he can learn False Swipe made it the perfect partner for completing my Dex :)

I picked the game up during my lunch break and I went with Moon again. I wasn't going to bother but I watched a few videos last night about the changes made to the game and figured i'd give it a whirl. Once I get home from work today I have the rest of the week off work, so i'll be able to get my head down and crack on with it.

I transferred a couple of the Johto starters from my Silver game this morning, so i'll probably rock them ( as well as good old Rockruff ) in my team.

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:00 PM, Ike said:

They could've shortened the cutscenes or something but they added more.

Huh... Funny you should say that... Anyway, Credits rolled and Team Rocket: Fabulous Edition beaten up with nothing but Grass Pokemon. Added an Exeggutor (Called Eggward) to my team. Won't go into what I thought of the plot changes yet, because I'm pretty sure I'm the first N-Europer to do so. Just some loose ends to wrap up. (Totem Stickers, reaching the Battle Tree, etc.) and then I start getting new competitive Pokemon trained up.

Pretty good review, @Mr-Paul. I'd say you were spot on. Anyway, I've started catching legendaries. Not because I want them, I just want to unlock the music.

I've got a Ho-Oh, Tornadus, Raikou, Reshiram, Heatran, Latios and best Pokemon, Groudon, which are exclusive to Ultra Sun. So if any Mooners want some, just ask. Don't care what I get in return.

Edited by Glen-i

On 25-11-2017 at 4:38 AM, Glen-i said:

Pretty good review, @Mr-Paul. I'd say you were spot on. Anyway, I've started catching legendaries. Not because I want them, I just want to unlock the music.

I've got a Ho-Oh, Tornadus, Raikou, Reshiram, Heatran, Latios and best Pokemon, Groudon, which are exclusive to Ultra Sun. So if any Mooners want some, just ask. Don't care what I get in return.

I still need to start US, but as soon as I have something to trade I'd love a Dialga. It's not on your list but as soon as you catch one, that would be great. It's the last Legendary I still need.

6 minutes ago, markderoos said:

I still need to start US, but as soon as I have something to trade I'd love a Dialga. It's not on your list but as soon as you catch one, that would be great. It's the last Legendary I still need.

Weird coincidence, that. Dialga is the only one I'm aiming for now. Once I get one, I'll keep it for you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Weird coincidence, that. Dialga is the only one I'm aiming for now. Once I get one, I'll keep it for you.

Life saver! :)

Dialga caught, @markderoos. So it's ready to go whenever you start your Ultra playthrough (As well as the Castform)

In the meantime, I've been messing around with the photo club again. It's far too much fun!

eAjS5cA.jpg

dFU65Qz.jpg

UqwIXx3.jpg

I'm so proud of that last one!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, markderoos said:

I'm on the fence about buying an official Pokedex book but have no clue what the difference between both these two is:

Book #1

Book #2

@Serebii or @Glen-i maybe you guys know the difference?

Snarky comment about how US/UM doesn't even have a National Pokedex.

After doing some research. I can conclude that the only difference (apart rom price) is the cover. They're both advertising the exact same features. Book 1 has the nicer, slicker cover to boot. So I'd go that route.

Fair warning though, I'd be very surprised if every Pokemon is in there, due to there still being one event Pokemon that hasn't been officially revealed yet.

Great thanx! I find it very weird that two almost identical books get released at the same time for different prices...