NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Pokemon Direct 6th June 3PM

Anything but mystery fucking dungeon please.

Come at me, Glen-i. ;)

You'll get Mystery Dungeon Mobile and you'll like it

Note: This is not indicative of insider knowledge

Been suggesting Kanto-based sequels (20 years after the events of the originals) since before the SM announcement, so I'd be so on board with that, and it would be a great way to feed into this generation of the franchise's celebration. SM sequel/s, RBG sequels ~20 years after the originals, DP remakes, I WILL TAKE IT ALL.

And, as accurate as Eurogamer have been - especially with Nintendo - lately, I seriously hope Stars isn't a traditional third version as they originally suggested it would be.

ROLL ON THE DIRECT! 3 hours 46 minutes to go... :D

Anything but mystery fucking dungeon please.

Come at me, Glen-i. ;)

In all fairness, I love the earlier MDs. Being a JRPG, it makes sense for them to lean into story more than anything else, and that was my favourite aspect of the older MD games. Pokémon games almost always have great soundtracks too, and those games were no exception in my eyes. The mechanics, maybe not so much...

It's nice to see the focus on story translate over to the main series, and I hope they continue that with whatever game comes next.

Yep, positivity and love for games and such were shat on so frequently, people left and just stopped. This place needs a serious injection of passion.

I left for a month, didn't care, came back to organise online games and get excited for e3!!

Note: this a general message.

This isn't the thread for this type of discussion, please stick to the topic.

I'm trying to throw hints in and failing :p

Wait a minute....

It's ok. I have a habit of Going on.
Well I think it may be time to switch that attitude for a more positive one

:yay:

One thing that separates now from then is the fact that Switch is not backwards compatible, a first for Nintendo handhelds. This is the first time a 3rd version of a mainline Pokemon is being released after the successor to its original platform has come out; whereby it can't be played on the new machine.

Sure, Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum/BW2 were all released for the same system as their respective previous versions, but they were also playable on the latest machines at the time as well thanks to backwards compatibility. Not this time though...

As such, there is an actual need for a Switch version this time ;)

Right then, final predictions for this Direct:

• An update on Pokémon GO, including new features such as legendary Pokémon, trading and battling.

• Announcement of a new main series game, Stars, which will serve as a sequel to Sun and Moon and see players return to Alola. And I'm going to go bold here: new Alola forms, Kanto post-game (with the region fully revamped 20 years on from the originals, with new characters, plot, etc. which is why the originals were released on VC: to add to a potential future return) and this game will be rounding off Gen VII (and thus bringing Pokémon's 3DS tenure to an end). More gameplay will come at E3 next week. /end of boldness

No idea when this game comes: to fill the gap of a potential Xenoblade Chronicles 2 delay, perhaps? Can't see it being a Holiday release with Odyssey on its way...

Best of luck to @Serebii with covering this, hope it all goes up without any problems :) 41 minutes remain!

EDIT Surprised no-one else has put this up yet, so YouTube video link to the Direct:

Edited by Julius Caesar

Where they meant to announce Ultra Sun/Moon like that?

Edit: yep.

Yay, g/s VC releases!

Edited by Ike

So little hype here

Guys, get hyped.

No, really.

Get fucking hyped

Oh Serebii....

Two ports and a let's sell you the exact same game with minuscule extra features for full price.

Why didn't they just call the Switch "Wii U Deluxe"

Yeah, i'm not happy with this. Once again Wii U owners who supported the console and played these games are getting the short end of the stick.

I can't believe there's no Switch version of the new games. Disgrace.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Didn't play Pokkén on Wii U, so I'm pumped for this, and looking forward to the VC releases of Gold and Silver.

Really dropped momentum, in my opinion, with the "alternate story" traditional third version nonsense we haven't received since Gen IV (!), and I'm saying this as a huge Pokémon fan. However, I'm glad to see these games, if only because it means we're a step closer to Gen VIII on the Switch - and as a fan of the franchise, it hurts to say that.

It says a lot that the best announcement for me was the Pokémon Gold & Silver versions being made available for the 3DS Virtual Console. :D

With that said, it did feel like damage limitation... a Switch version of Pokkén Tournament, OK nice enough, I might actually play it more this time around. :)

But then showing Pokémon Sun & Moon Ultra versions for 3DS only about a year on from the release of the original games - by the time they come out - just comes across as...

"Well it's too early for a brand new "New" Pokémon game and it'd be a shame to waste all the development time we put into Sun & Moon so why don't we just go with a sequel or upgraded version with some new stuff?"

"Should we release it on the Switch?"

"...nah, who's going to buy that? Plus we're giving them a new port of a Pokémon game anyway"

"3DS it is then... it still prints money afterall"

I don't know, that's my knee-jerk reaction to it anyway. :heh:

Yeah, i'm not happy with this. Once again Wii U owners who supported the console and played these games are getting the short end of the stick.

I can't believe there's no Switch version of the new games. Disgrace.

Mario Kart and Pokken (those are the only two ports as far as I'm aware?) are too good to leave stranded on the Wii U.

From a business perspective all of these make sense!

Pokkén can have a much bigger audience on switch than on Wiiu,

and the Sun and Moon engine is perfect for a quick sequel to make some money back.

As a switch owner who had a WiiU these are kind of disappointing though.

I guess it will be a few more years before we see a new main Pokémon generation.

It probably was best to get this out of the way before E3 :)

It says a lot that the best announcement for me was the Pokémon Gold & Silver versions being made available for the 3DS Virtual Console. :D

With that said, it did feel like damage limitation... a Switch version of Pokkén Tournament, OK nice enough, I might actually play it more this time around. :)

But then showing Pokémon Sun & Moon Ultra versions for 3DS only about a year on from the release of the original games - by the time they come out - just comes across as...

"Well it's too early for a brand new "New" Pokémon game and it'd be a shame to waste all the development time we put into Sun & Moon so why don't we just go with a sequel or upgraded version with some new stuff?"

"Should we release it on the Switch?"

"...nah, who's going to buy that? Plus we're giving them a new port of a Pokémon game anyway"

"3DS it is then... it still prints money afterall"

I don't know, that's my knee-jerk reaction to it anyway. :heh:

I'm cool with Ultra SM not being on Switch, if only because of the shortage of the console already. Pokémon always waits for a larger install base to build up before releasing (I'm sure Gen VIII in Q4 2018/19 will sell amazingly), my biggest problem is returning to a third version "upgrade" which we haven't seen since, when was Platinum, 2009?!

Sure, Zygarde fell to the wayside in SM, but the fact that we've gone through FIVE paired releases since Platinum, each game with a new story, since then really ruins what felt like an upward trend in quality for Pokémon, personally.

And I say this as a huge fan of the franchise, so I'm willing to hold off judgement until we know more, but this really doesn't fare well with those who loved SM as third versions almost always serve as a retcon of the paired entries. Even if we go to Kanto at the end of this game with Lillie, what would be the point? She will have undergone different growth to how she did in SM, and as thus, such progression wouldn't feel warranted.

SM were the first games, in my opinion, to make huge strides for this franchise in a long time: as a JRPG, and plenty more so than any previous franchise entry I would argue, the focus was on the story and the bond between characters. To have that story and character progressions retconned?

I have no doubt this will sell well, but this isn't at all the move I was looking forward to to continue moving the franchise forwards.

Just glad I sold Pokken Tournament when I did, the value will plummet fast I reckon after this announcement. Sad the Stars rumour was bogus and is the plot going to be different enough to warrant buying the Ultra versions? Will have to wait and see but glad Pokemon Gold and Silver will be up soon. <3

Oh boy, just so so stupid... so 3ds had the nEw Pokemon last year, they get a slightly newer version of the same game, and they et virtual console release. Switch doesn't get any traditional Pokemon game at all... when there's actually be a reason for people to get a tweaked version of a game they've already bought. Just mental.

Also funny that serebi tries hunting he knows stuff and it's all exciting, and yet again completely wrong :D not a dig serebi, I find it quite charming.

Oh boy, just so so stupid... so 3ds had the nEw Pokemon last year, they get a slightly newer version of the same game, and they et virtual console release. Switch doesn't get any traditional Pokemon game at all... when there's actually be a reason for people to get a tweaked version of a game they've already bought. Just mental.

It's baffling. You have Capcom who are able to knock out a Switch and 3DS version of Monster Hunter and Tecmo Koei do both a 3DS and Switch version for FE Warriors but Game Freak can't put together a Pokemon game on both platforms.

Just caught up on everything. Glad to see I was right about Pokken, that game was screaming for a Switch port :D

BTW, @Serebii, you'd know better than I. From what we've seen, does the Switch version have all the new content from the arcade version that wasn't released on Wii U?

As for US/UM, on one hand I'm a bit disappointed that there's no Switch version, but on the other, I'm glad that it means that the first mainline Pokemon for Switch will end up being tailor made for the platform, like previous titles. Also, it's a sequel, like B2/W2 and I loved those, so overall it's a net positive :)

Guess I can now go ahead and get Moon 1, now that I know I'm not gonna get shortchanged :)

Also I'm really excited for G/S on the VC, though it's a bit crappy that they're not releasing Crystal at the same time; of course they want us to buy the superior game again after buying G/S...

I was really expecting them to skip the 3DS altogether with G/S and just wait for the Switch VC to launch.

Altogether, great stuff! The trailer for Pokken was superb and really makes me want to play it again! :D

Fucking hell. The sooner they let the decrepit 3DS go the better. I was really expecting to see a Switch version of the latest main Pokémon game!

Massive levels of disappointment. Epic fail guise.

Part of me is disappointed but at the same time, expecting an announce of a full on Pokémon game for Switch is a little early. Heck, if Nintendo themselves can only release ports of older games than why expect other studios to churn out anything quicker?

Sign in to follow this