NEurope
Shorty

Possible New Forum Software - Have your say

Will we still have multi-quote, thanks, YouTube embed, quick reply and classic stretchable?

He can certainly weather whatever hardships these changes of our posting environment may experience.

Am I doing this right? We're making allusions to Trump right?

Allusions to Theresa May (her catchphrase has been "strong and stable").

Personally, I think Invision is great, much better than what we have currently. I'd vote to make the switch to it, the longer term benefits will far outweigh a couple of initial hurdles.

Will we still have multi-quote, thanks, YouTube embed, quick reply and classic stretchable?

From their site:

Links from services like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Vine and Instagram will automatically embed a rich preview in the post.

Just given it a quick try and its a case of pasting the URL into the response field so don't need to add a tag.

Quick Reply is standard.

Mentions are possible (know you didn't ask, but just seen it on their site).

The response field uses CK Editor so anything on their site (CKEditor.com) is apparently possible, as is custom stuff. Obviously not saying we'd get everything, but gives an insight into possibilities.

Multi-quote is possible.

Classic Stretchable is a theme we implemented to try and account for different browser sizes. This is natively responsive although a quick look at the scheme suggests its just the standard NE one without a header and a tint of blue?

Having a look into the Thanks feature, I've found a contents rating plugin with a range of responses (similar to Facebook's reacts), but I am conscious of the 'misuse' of the thanks feature in the past and wouldn't want to further this. May need to look into it some more. Although the solution I found does cost ($35 and $10 per 6 months which obviously isn't huge, just flagging it up).

I think as much as we need to try and not lose any functionality, we should also be concerned with what can be gained. For example, there might be ways that online matchmaking could be better managed or user game reviews and such forth.

If anything, I'd be more interested to hear ways in which people would like things to improve. Can't guarantee anything but I'm happy to look in to solutions such as that.

Having a look into the Thanks feature, I've found a contents rating plugin with a range of responses (similar to Facebook's reacts), but I am conscious of the 'misuse' of the thanks feature in the past and wouldn't want to further this. May need to look into it some more. Although the solution I found does cost ($35 and $10 per 6 months which obviously isn't huge, just flagging it up).

Personally I would like to see the Thanks feature scrapped. In the past i've mentioned it to various Mods how the feature has been abused and used as a side taking tactic rather than for what it has been intended for.

Personally I agree to be honest, but I think it's too popular a feature to take away just because some people misuse it. I'm pretty sure the new software comes with a "like/react" functionality built in and I'd like to leave it in at first at least to see if it's treated any differently to "thanks".

While we are on the subject of thanks. I just tried to thank your post @Shorty and when I clicked it a box of code popped up. No idea whats going on there.

Personally I would like to see the Thanks feature scrapped. In the past i've mentioned it to various Mods how the feature has been abused and used as a side taking tactic rather than for what it has been intended for.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? Maybe I haven't seen some of the things you're referring to (I don't visit the consoles board so my experience of knee members is much more pleasant) but I think using at is an "I agree" button make more sense than loads of "I agree" posts clogging up the place.

While we are on the subject of thanks. I just tried to thank your post @Shorty and when I clicked it a box of code popped up. No idea whats going on there.

I've had that before. If you reload the page and click it again it should work (did for me).

Is that necessarily a bad thing? Maybe I haven't seen some of the things you're referring to (I don't visit the consoles board so my experience of knee members is much more pleasant) but I think using at is an "I agree" button make more sense than loads of "I agree" posts clogging up the place.

I get what you're saying but when arguments have flared up in the console boards you can tell straight away who will thank what post before it even happens. It's not so much thanking or agreeing with the post, more the the person thanking which side of the fanboy wars the poster is on. It's quite blatant at times.

It's sad really. Given the average age of our members you would think we would be above such things but it is what it is, I guess.

While I don't use the general side of the forum much ( mainly just stick the the footy thread ) from what i've seen on there the Thanks feature does get used the way it is intended, so, as Shorty mentioned, it would be shame to take it away from those who do use it properly.

When we do make the move, would it be worth (you may have to anyway so forgive my ignorance) a general email to all members telling them about it? A fresh start might be a way to get back some members who have left over the years.

Yeah, (very) occasional emails to opted-in users is something I'd like to do anyway.

Yeah, (very) occasional emails to opted-in users is something I'd like to do anyway.

I wouldnt mind a monthly NE Newsletter detailing the events of the past month Nintendo section wars.

We could do a graph showing who got the most thanks and was therefore the most right

If we transferred to a new forum, would our username change limit be reset? Asking for a friend.

I hope this does revitalise the forum a bit. I would love to see the general section become as active as it used to be.

I get what you're saying but when arguments have flared up in the console boards you can tell straight away who will thank what post before it even happens. It's not so much thanking or agreeing with the post, more the the person thanking which side of the fanboy wars the poster is on. It's quite blatant at times.

It's sad really. Given the average age of our members you would think we would be above such things but it is what it is, I guess.

While I don't use the general side of the forum much ( mainly just stick the the footy thread ) from what i've seen on there the Thanks feature does get used the way it is intended, so, as Shorty mentioned, it would be shame to take it away from those who do use it properly.

Yeah I think we should keep it. Also the issues with people on the console boards run far deeper than the thanks feature so removing it wouldn't really change much IMO.

I hope this does revitalise the forum a bit. I would love to see the general section become as active as it used to be.

Ditto for the gaming section. The whole forum has been dying a slow death for a couple of years now.

Also the issues with people on the console boards run far deeper than the thanks feature so removing it wouldn't really change much IMO.

I agree it does but removing it could help alleviate the arguments.

We should be able to keep it across the board but if people abuse it then the best course of action would be to take it away. If this was to happen then ideally the feature should be stripped away from the console side of things but left in the general forums section. I don't even know if this would be possible and it could be more work for Shorty and others than to implement.

Another idea, stay with me because it's quite a radical one, is that everyone takes their head out of their favourite gaming companies backsides and just gets along for a change. :p

Ditto for the gaming section. The whole forum has been dying a slow death for a couple of years now.

I wonder if it would be worth merging all the gaming sections into one big one?

giphy.gif

People argue a lot when they are separated, never mind when they are thrown together. :D

It's an interesting proposition but I think people may not be happy as the Nintendo side of the forum may lose some of it's identity. I wouldn't be fussed either way, just as long as I can still talk about games.

I agree that removing thanks for just the gaming forums would be the best way, if it's even possible to do it just that way.

I wouldn't like to see the Thanks button go. Currently it is used as both Like and Thanks but if we didn't have it, you'd have a lot of useless posts saying "I agree" or "thanks".

But also I wouldn't like additional functionality to cost you guys any more money on a recurring basis.