NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018

22 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I think he meant ahead of competition regarding online.. 

I misread if that's the case then, fair enough

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Miiverse was a genuine rare moment where Nintendo were actually ahead of the competition in one aspect. But WiiU flopped, so almost everything to do with it was dropped.

Such a shame.

Yeah, its a shame that they threw everything out the window after the Wii U. Miiverse was a pretty great feature when it was integrated into a game, such as comments showing up in-game in Mario Maker levels, bottles in Wind Waker HD and even messages on the game over screens in Mario 3D World. It had so much potential and i feel would have added value to their online service once they started charging for it.

They ditched Miiverse because they wanted people to post about their games on Twitter/Facebook and spread word of mouth there, instead of the closed echo chamber of Nintendo fans on Miiverse who already bought their game.

It's a huge shame though, Miiverse was great

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

They ditched Miiverse because they wanted people to post about their games on Twitter/Facebook and spread word of mouth there, instead of the closed echo chamber of Nintendo fans on Miiverse who already bought their game.

It's a huge shame though, Miiverse was great

The problem with that idea is that most people on social media aren't searching for discussion on a specific game.

Miiverse consisted of people who were looking for conversation based on the game they were playing. It was also a great way for people looking for help to get advice. I mean, most of us probably remember that person playing Super Metroid asking the infamous question, "Why can't Metroid crawl?" Well, he ended up finishing the game with the advice he got from more experienced players on Miiverse.

Sticking with Virtual Console, Miiverse also had a strange influence on older games. Golden Sun: The Lost Age had a few cases of people posting their password from the first game, so that people who only wanted to play the second one, or missed something in the first game, could still see everything the second game had to offer.

Then there was the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games, whose Miiverse board mostly consisted of people who got wiped out in a dungeon asking others for a rescue, so they don't have to start a dungeon again.

Some people even rescued people posting on Miiverse using their original retail copies of the games. It was nutso!

You just can't get that easy access to help on social media, and it bums me out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Then there was the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games, whose Miiverse board mostly consisted of people who got wiped out in a dungeon asking others for a rescue, so they don't have to start a dungeon again.

Some people even rescued people posting on Miiverse using their original retail copies of the games. It was nutso!

I mean, that's really neat! :D

Probably one of the best things to come out of Miiverse, making good use of the service and the established system present in the original games.

It's a shame that we probably won't have that again, even if it came back in a limited capacity, attached to each game start-up menu, that would be something.

Perhaps something similar to the News section could be introduced, but you'd have a page for each game and things could go from there...

Yeah, I know... it probably won't happen but if it's something which people who are subscribing to Nintendo Switch Online want, then who knows?

The problem with that idea is that most people on social media aren't searching for discussion on a specific game.

You don't need to search for anything, Nintendo game content will just appear in people's timeline if they're following the person who made the tweet/has a Switch. It spreads word of mouth far better for Nintendo than talking about it to a bunch of people who already own the game/system.

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Miiverse consisted of people who were looking for conversation based on the game they were playing. It was also a great way for people looking for help to get advice. I mean, most of us probably remember that person playing Super Metroid asking the infamous question, "Why can't Metroid crawl?" Well, he ended up finishing the game with the advice he got from more experienced players on Miiverse.

Sticking with Virtual Console, Miiverse also had a strange influence on older games. Golden Sun: The Lost Age had a few cases of people posting their password from the first game, so that people who only wanted to play the second one, or missed something in the first game, could still see everything the second game had to offer.

You just can't get that easy access to help on social media, and it bums me out.

Oh I agree completely, Miiverse was great and had plenty of uses. I just think from a business pov, Twitter/Facebook make more sense.

• Like 1

Looking back Miiverse was fantastic, I must say.

They should’ve kept it but integrated Twitter/Facebook/YouTube support so that you could choose to share certain Miiverse posts on each of the social networks.

• Like 3

Shit, I forgot to cancel the auto-renewal on this and I’ve forked out another £18 on it when I just don’t play online! :sad:

• Like 1

Shit, I forgot to cancel the auto-renewal on this and I’ve forked out another £18 on it when I just don’t play online! :sad:
I once accidentally paid for LinkedIn pro, and got charged £400. I emailed them and got most of it back though.

Maybe try asking for a refund?
  • Like 1