NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018

Just now, bob said:

Eventually, yes. But I don't know about during the 7 day trial period.

You can play the games with the 7 day trail as that's what i'm using.

1 minute ago, MindFreak said:

Just to be clear: You cannot start the games without the subscription at all?

Nope. It checks if you have a subscription before the software launches.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I've played some games with @RedShelland yeah there was definitely lag. Noticed it during Balloon Fight and RCR the most. Was fun to play Ice Hockey, never played it before so had to find out controls on the go! Luckily NES controls involve a hell of a lot less buttons. RCR I never played as well but recognized the style from Crash & The Boys Street Challenge. Hope that comes soon as that's great in 2p mode!

Yeah, was a good laugh. Especially RCR, that had me in stitches! :laughing: Shame it runs so badly, although I have to admit that also kind of adds to its charm. :heh:

The lag in this is a weird one really, it's kind of just like tiny stutters here and there, especially noticeable for me during Balloon Fight though, as it's one of my favourite NES games and something I've spent a lot of time playing over the years.

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Can I just vent for a moment?

Why THE FUCK can’t you just have a plain black background on the NES Online games!? How could they screw up such a basic thing!?

Yep... Incomprehensible. ::shrug:

We can only hope enough people speak up about it, and it gets sorted out. Amazed it was left like that in the first place though, like how the hell did nobody twig during development!? :blank:

• Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

I like the bits on the sides, but the button input text underneath is dumb, they really need to give us a way of hiding that.

4 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Hahaha. Oh god, it really is NeoGAF 2.0 over there.

ResetEra has a ton of problems, but that particular thread seems pretty fair to me.

13 hours ago, Sméagol said:

That was hilarious and fun. Thanks for the game!

Clapping: 90% sarcasm.

How do you do that whistle by the way? Any other actions?

Oh and this version of SMB3 was a bit buggy. Those solid coins..?

Controls are as tight as ever, it's the controller that's lacking (well that, and being rusty :D). NES controllers are superior for actual NES games.

Good fun indeed! My clapping was at least 95% sarcastic :p Didn't notice any whistling though! But it does need more communication options next to clapping. Text chat would be good as well.

And yeah I think those solid coins are because they are bricks with a coin in them (so unbreakable), and that's why I couldn't go through it. Messed up those Koopas trapped inside though.

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Haha. I've just read your rant over on Era. I imagine you are going to get burned alive over there for venting. :D 

I’m shocked they closed it so quickly! It’s not often that they actually appease the Nintendo zealots on there :laughing:

Whatever, I’m sure there will be enough people on there complaining, especially after the SEGA AGES games get it right!  Hopefully enough people from NOA/NOE get the message (I know they both read that forum!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I’m shocked they closed it so quickly! It’s not often that they appease the Nintendo zealots on there :laughing:

It's a negative Nintendo thread, of course it was going to get shut down pretty quickly. :p 

Someone pointed out how biased that place is when it comes to Nintendo stuff. You have people like Emily ( made a name by leaking Nintendo stuff ) and Jonneh ( GameXplain ) helping to run the place, both of which have an interest in Nintendo doing well. I imagine it's why they allow for the Nintendo Direct threads to run rampant instead of just shutting them down, which is what used to happen over on Gaf. Although, it was also pointed out that they probably let this happen due to the ad revenue they get from the views such threads get.

I've disliked the place for a long time. You dare not say anything in case you get banned for something not being deemed politically correct or you don't have the same view as those in charge.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've disliked the place for a long time. You dare not say anything in case you get banned for something not being deemed politically correct or you don't have the same view as those in charge.

I've been banned twice there for that sort of thing. Making a joke about how ludicrous and suffocating the whole "representation" and diversity culture is, and how utterly forced it feels.

The thread about the Cyberpunk account making a "transphobic joke" was a train wreck.

Gaf often jokes about the social justice warriors taking over on ResetEra. So yeah, neither particularly pleasant places but I still browse there as it's a good place for up to the minute news.

• Like 2

You guys realise that as soon as you stop checking ERA for news and actually post there, you lose, right?

Because you are never gonna get your opinion actually taken to account. Half the people don't even read an opening post when they open a thread. They react to titles. Especially if they're of an opinion they don't agree with.

So in other words, I super win because I don't even have an account.

• Haha 1

I don't think it's necessarily Gaf or ResetEra at fault exactly, it's just the byproduct of grouping a huge number of gamers (let's be real, generally speaking, hardly the most mature of communities) together in one place to voice their opinion. 

3 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Good fun indeed! My clapping was at least 95% sarcastic :p Didn't notice any whistling though! But it does need more communication options next to clapping. Text chat would be good as well.

And yeah I think those solid coins are because they are bricks with a coin in them (so unbreakable), and that's why I couldn't go through it. Messed up those Koopas trapped inside though.

Apparently double clicking is a whistle.

Those coins though.. That's not how they work. Or I'm really misremembering things, or forgetting some obscure mechanic. Unfortunately I forgot to capture it. I did capture some of your misfortunes though. :p

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I kinda wanna play through SMB3 with someone who doesn't initiate the stupid Mario Bros. Minigame all the time. Anyone up for that on Friday?

Friday is Dark Souls night for me. But after that, I may be up for it. I don't inititate the minigame all the time. I only initiate it some of the time.

36 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Apparently double clicking is a whistle.

Those coins though.. That's not how they work. Or I'm really misremembering things, or forgetting some obscure mechanic. Unfortunately I forgot to capture it. I did capture some of your misfortunes though. :p

Friday is Dark Souls night for me. But after that, I may be up for it. I don't inititate the minigame all the time. I only initiate it some of the time.

@Vileplume2000 is right. Bricks with something in them can't be passed through, even if you hit a P switch.

Some of the time? Hard pass. @Dcubed has scarred me on that game for life.

• Thanks 1

I can not believe I am uncapable of beating the first bloody red demon in Ghost n' Goblins. What is wrong with me?!

Edited by Gourmetsalt

4 minutes ago, Gourmetsalt said:

I can not believe I am uncapable of beating the first bloody red demon in Ghost n' Goblins. What is wrong with me?!

You're playing Ghosts n' Goblins.
The game's really bloody hard!

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

@Vileplume2000 is right. Bricks with something in them can't be passed through, even if you hit a P switch.

Some of the time? Hard pass. @Dcubed has scarred me on that game for life.

Ah ok. Can't remember ever witnessing this myself.

Sounds like @Dcubed and me should play together than, haha. :D Your loss man. Want to get scarred though, play some Dark Souls.

22 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I've played some games with @RedShelland yeah there was definitely lag. Noticed it during Balloon Fight and RCR the most.

There was a setting somewhere to reduce lag; apparently the visuals take a hit (?!).  Played a few games with @dazzybee last night, and from what I recall the reduced lag option appeared to do, well, reduce lag.

Yeah there is a low latency setting in the main menu (not the in-game menu). It's a bit hidden.. Go to settings, and press y. It tells you about the option below.

Had no lag at all with @Vileplume2000, though we're in the same country. Had a few hitches when playing with @Nicktendo, but nothing too bad. Didn't use the low latency setting, I had a full bar and 3-bar respectively.

Someone else having trouble with the app? Got kicked out during Mario Kart, apparently the app thought I wasn't playing the game anymore and no way to reconnect.

46 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Someone else having trouble with the app? Got kicked out during Mario Kart, apparently the app thought I wasn't playing the game anymore and no way to reconnect.

Wondered where you went there. No problems on my end though...

3 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Yeah there is a low latency setting in the main menu (not the in-game menu). It's a bit hidden.. Go to settings, and press y. It tells you about the option below.

Had no lag at all with @Vileplume2000, though we're in the same country. Had a few hitches when playing with @Nicktendo, but nothing too bad. Didn't use the low latency setting, I had a full bar and 3-bar respectively.

Yeah, if you're in Holland then there's a good 2,000km between us. Sucks for me I guess, I'm not geographically close to anyone on this forum. 

What does low latency do?

I really do hope that Nintendo invest some of this money from the online into servers, or is that wishful thinking? In 2027, when Xbox games are running exclusively via the cloud, I guess we can at least hope to be playing NEW Mario Kart 8 DX on Nintendo servers instead of P2P.

Edited by Nicktendo

Really impressed by the online service tbh, including small steps which went completely unannounced like finally letting you voice chat with randoms in games like MK8 and Splatoon (though why you would want to do that, is anybody's guess). The Gamexplain crew had some positive reactions to playing the NES games online, especially with low latency mode active.

Also, the app really is ultra slick. All it needs is button mapping and maybe hiding the controls at the bottom of the screen and it'd be perfect. So much potential in a Netflix like service

So, so far i'm not impressed with the service as such its not that i don't see the potential? if this is as assumed an online subscription that includes the equivalent of playstationNow with Nintendo's back catalog then it will be worth it....in the long run

And that's my issue, we have no information on the intention for the service, no idea of schedule of releases, no idea if like netflix certain games will disapear and right now it feels like this is a beta and i'm reluctant to pay for it and let them know my feelings with my wallet.

I'm sure Nintendo will at some point tell us they intend to provide more info, but i feel they should have given us a lot more info before launching this.

as much as i love Nintendo and as much as i am willing to give them the benefit of doubt that things will improve, the sheer lack of information and selling this right now on peoples rumors and theories is plain wrong

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Agent Gibbs said:

I'm sure Nintendo will at some point tell us they intend to provide more info, but i feel they should have given us a lot more info before launching this.

as much as i love Nintendo and as much as i am willing to give them the benefit of doubt that things will improve, the sheer lack of information and selling this right now on peoples rumors and theories is plain wrong

I think this is part of the problem. We've been saying this for nearly two years.