NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018

I played some NES games online with my mate and it was fun but a lot of the games were STUPIDLY laggy. Dr. Mario and Mario & Yoshi ( I see they were lazy and just left it as Yoshi, kinda like what they done with the SNES mini boxarts ) were fine but things like Soccer, Tecmo Bowl and River City Ransom were a nightmare to play. What's crazy is he only lives up the road and we were having connection issues on NES games! Still, it was a laugh but the selection of games on offer aren't something that I would put a lot of time into and are really only fun little distractions to play around with for an evening.

• Thanks 1

I have things to say, but I'll say them later. For now:

I'm starting Super mario Bros 3 in a minute, if anyone cares to join.

I may change to Mario Bros later. Or maybe something else.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What's crazy is he only lives up the road and we were having connection issues on NES games! 

While it's a valid complaint, this doesn't necessarily have any bearing on your issues.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I played some NES games online with my mate and it was fun but a lot of the games were STUPIDLY laggy. Dr. Mario and Mario & Yoshi ( I see they were lazy and just left it as Yoshi, kinda like what they done with the SNES mini boxarts ) were fine but things like Soccer, Tecmo Bowl and River City Ransom were a nightmare to play. What's crazy is he only lives up the road and we were having connection issues on NES games! Still, it was a laugh but the selection of games on offer aren't something that I would put a lot of time into and are really only fun little distractions to play around with for an evening.

I've not tried any of them online, but I've been hearing that a lot. River City Ransom particularly seems to suffer the most.

I've played some games with @RedShelland yeah there was definitely lag. Noticed it during Balloon Fight and RCR the most. Was fun to play Ice Hockey, never played it before so had to find out controls on the go! Luckily NES controls involve a hell of a lot less buttons. RCR I never played as well but recognized the style from Crash & The Boys Street Challenge. Hope that comes soon as that's great in 2p mode!

Currently playing SMB3 with @Sméagoland aw man I am sucking big time! Either I am very rusty or the controls seem less tight, because I die a lot.

• Like 2

OK, so the site to order the NES controllers is utter garbage, can't even enter my address. It one of those autocomplete forms where it searches your address. Expect it can't find mine and you can't enter one manually.

I eventually got it to work with my parents address.

11 minutes ago, Ike said:

OK, so the site to order the NES controllers is utter garbage, can't even enter my address. It one of those autocomplete forms where it searches your address. Expect it can't find mine and you can't enter one manually.

I eventually got it to work with my parents address.

Where do you even have to go to order them?

Do you need to be signed into your Nintendo Network ID to do so as well?

The trouble you've described in ordering makes it sound similar to the setup the original club Nintendo website had when sending physical goods, if that's the case then I sympathise. :(

They never did send me that Kirby GBA game...

Edited by S.C.G

11 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Where do you even have to go to order them?

Do you need to be signed into your Nintendo Network ID to do so as well?

The trouble you've described in ordering makes it sound similar to the setup the original club Nintendo website had when sending physical goods, if that's the case then I sympathise. :(

https://mynintendostore.nintendo.co.uk I had to dig around for it.

Yeah, you have to be signed in, it's exclusive to those who have the Switch Online subscription.

I got redirected to nintendo.at after confirming the order, I'm a bit worried my order will actually show up. :laughing: :shakehead

Edit: You can get discount vouchers from MyNintendo in exchange for Gold Coins.

• Thanks 1

I saw something about the NES games causing temporary image retention on the Switch's screen, are there also problems with it changing the way the screen shows colours? I played a bit of Mario in handheld mode earlier then docked my Switch to play Hollow Knight, put it in sleep mode while I went out then resumed playing Hollow Knight in handheld mode when I got home and the display was awful - the illuminated part around the player character was really pixilated and the display seemed pretty dim in general. The problem went away when I turned the console off and turned it back on again but it was a bit worrying for a while. Hoping its just issues with the NES games that will be patched out and not a more serious issue with my console.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Edit: You can get discount vouchers from MyNintendo in exchange for Gold Coins.

Is there a limit to how many discount vouchers you can redeem against the controllers?

If there isn't... I'm temtped to go on a mass unsealing of my current... fifty retail Switch titles to claim all of my gold coins. :p

I'd probably have enough to pay for them outright, surely?

7 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Is there a limit to how many discount vouchers you can redeem against the controllers?

If there isn't... I'm temtped to go on a mass unsealing of my current... fifty retail Switch titles to claim all of my gold coins. :p

I'd probably have enough to pay for them outright, surely?

1 voucher per order. Highest voucher is worth £5. https://my.nintendo.com/reward_categories/my_nintendo_store

Just now, Ike said:

1 voucher per order. Highest voucher is worth £5. https://my.nintendo.com/reward_categories/my_nintendo_store

Ah OK, I'll leave them sealed then... for now.

You're right, this address finder for the ordering system truly is horrible. :(

I can manage to get all of my address by working backwards, except for the house name. :blank:

2 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Currently playing SMB3 with @Sméagoland aw man I am sucking big time! Either I am very rusty or the controls seem less tight, because I die a lot.

That was hilarious and fun. Thanks for the game!

Clapping: 90% sarcasm.

How do you do that whistle by the way? Any other actions?

Oh and this version of SMB3 was a bit buggy. Those solid coins..?

Controls are as tight as ever, it's the controller that's lacking (well that, and being rusty :D). NES controllers are superior for actual NES games.

3 hours ago, Ike said:

Interesting, you can play the Famicom games using a UK account.

Yup! Can confirm this works perfectly!

l4xRKQa.jpg

Just download it with a JPN account and play it with your subscribed English account.  Works perfectly! :D 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Ah OK, I'll leave them sealed then... for now.

You're right, this address finder for the ordering system truly is horrible. :(

I can manage to get all of my address by working backwards, except for the house name. :blank:

Well, it wouldn't go through after all that anyway, so nevermind.

I don't need the NES controllers that badly.

6 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Well, it wouldn't go through after all that anyway, so nevermind.

I don't need the NES controllers that badly.

Yeah, I got it by putting in my postcode first. The house number came after the street name for some reason.

Can I just vent for a moment?

Why THE FUCK can’t you just have a plain black background on the NES Online games!? How could they screw up such a basic thing!?

Also, no suspend saves either! Restore Points only! This is the first time Nintendo have ever screwed up with these things!! How could they mess up so bad!?

No button remapping sucks balls as well; yes I know that the NES Classic didn’t support it, but come on!!

As things stand, this thing will not be my primary way of playing NES games.  These things need to be fixed pronto!

• Like 2

Haha. I've just read your rant over on Era. I imagine you are going to get burned alive over there for venting. :D 

• Haha 1

I kinda wanna play through SMB3 with someone who doesn't initiate the stupid Mario Bros. Minigame all the time. Anyone up for that on Friday?

20 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Haha. I've just read your rant over on Era. I imagine you are going to get burned alive over there for venting. :D 

I was more worried that he'd get lambasted for using the term "sucks balls".

And like clockwork, someone called him out on it. ERA is very predictable.

What options for borders are there anyway? And which one is the most garish?

Personally, I want to make custom borders, but Super Game Boy is where that idea died.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Hahaha. Oh god, it really is NeoGAF 2.0 over there.

• Haha 1

Do you need a subscription in order to just play the NES games (local 2-player)? 
Eventually, yes. But I don't know about during the 7 day trial period.
  • Thanks 1