NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018

Does anyone know, if I just bought a standard single account subscription, can I upgrade it later to a Family Subscription and just pay the difference or would I have to pay full price for the family subscription even though I already bought the standard?

And with the family subscription does it only work for accounts in the family group at time subscription was purchased or if I add accounts to the group after do they also get the subscription benefits?

Basically me and my sister (for her son) thinking going splits on the family sub and I thinking of adding a separate profile on my Switch for my son

13 hours ago, Mr-Paul said:

I don't think there will be any in game change in terms of menus etc. to enable online. I think essentially you will connect to an opponent/friend before entering the software, and one of you will essentially be controller 2 and play multilayer as if you were local. 

10 hours ago, drahkon said:

That would suck. It would basically you can't play with random people, wouldn't it? Unless I'm not understanding it correctly

Sadly this does seem to be the case. You can't play online with randomers and have to organise playing with people that are only on your friends list. Seeing as there is no way to send messages on the Switch, you are once again at the mercy of trying to sort out games via other methods. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Sadly this does seem to be the case. You can't play online with randomers and have to organise playing with people that are only on your friends list. Seeing as there is no way to send messages on the Switch, you are once again at the mercy of trying to sort out games via other methods. 

That's bloody ridiculous...And they have the audacity to charge for this crap.

Only play online nes games with friends. Nintendo never stop being so damn stupid. 

I wish I bought physical copies of MK8D & Splatoon 2 now as I’d trade them in - I don’t see me paying for the service as it is.

There’s no option to remove all the crap surrounding the screen when playing NES games, is there? :hmm: 

How the hell could they mess that up now after getting it right on the NES and SNES minis!? ::shrug:

Anyway, got all my save data backed-up (minus Splatoon 2, obviously) but out of everything I own, including all the eShop stuff, that was the only game not supported. So yeah, a sign that most devs will enable the feature, I quess.

Feels nice getting my save data for games like Zelda and Monster Hunter on there. :) 

Edited by RedShell

Love the UI of the NES app, especially being able to reorder the box arts and have some be bigger than others etc. Very slick. The only thing negative is having that Select = -, Start = + thing at the bottom of every game. Hope they patch that out, cause it's really distracting.

Used my Gold points for the Switch online service, ended up costing £13.70 for the year, lol.

So I signed up for the trial and played Mario Bros. Killed by the first Goomba as I got the buttons wrong.

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Charlie said:

So I signed up for the trial and played Mario Bros. Killed by the first Goomba as I got the buttons wrong.

I take it you won't be renewing your subscription? :D 

• Haha 1

Sucks about the lack of online with random people but its what we expected.

Feels good to finally have my save data backed up, pleasantly surprised to see Football Manager is supported. I'll probably play around with the NES games a bit later on but not sure if i'll play through any of the current crop in their entirety, some of the future releases are on my list though.

Didn't realise Skyrim save data was quite so large, 450mb! Going to take a while to upload with my shoddy connection.

Very easy to back up and/or download cloud data. easy UI. All my games apart from Splatoon support it. Suspect it'll just be the highly competitive ones that won't.

Dived in to a game of River City Ransom with @Nintendo Fan, absolutely hilarious, but mostly because the game runs at 10fps in 2 player mode :laughing:

Was a good laugh even though we both died at the first boss, the clapping thing is pretty funny too. I got a notification from the app to start voice chat but I didn't bother.

This service has a lot of potential, especially if SNES and N64 games are gonna hit soon. Just a shame that RCR runs so badly...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every time I play Ice Climber I start laughing, the controls on that game just never fail to amuse. Unbelievably frustrating. :D 

BTW, what’s the deal with online leaderboards, or has that not been implemented yet? :blank: 

I was just thinking how great it’d be if Nintendo added GB games to this thing too.

Signed up to the trial, and picked up a year via the CDKeys link.  Jumped right into the one game i've not played for years, Dr Mario.  Loving how quickly these games load up, had a few rounds on the train this morning.

7 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Every time I play Ice Climber I start laughing, the controls on that game just never fail to amuse. Unbelievably frustrating. :D

I won't hear a bad word said against Ice Climber.

But you're right

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Dived in to a game of River City Ransom with @Nintendo Fan, absolutely hilarious, but mostly because the game runs at 10fps in 2 player mode :laughing:

So how easy is it to join a game with friends? Can you invite them or did you guys arrange to play the game elsewhere? If it's easy to join then that is a bit  better than I originally thought.

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So how easy is it to join a game with friends? Can you invite them or did you guys arrange to play the game elsewhere? If it's easy to join then that is a bit  better than I originally thought.

I just went online and saw he was playing a game, clicked join and I started watching his 1P game. When he saw I'd joined he backed out and we started 2P. Then I got the notification in the app for voice chat. Very smooth.  

You can opt to play offline or onilne. If you're online, any friends can join the game you're currently playing. The app is great, very slick experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Nicktendo said:

I just went online and saw he was playing a game, clicked join and I started watching his 1P game. When he saw I'd joined he backed out and we started 2P. Then I got the notification in the app for voice chat. Very smooth.  

You can opt to play offline or onilne. If you're online, any friends can join the game you're currently playing. The app is great, very slick experience. 

Thanks. Yeah, that seems better than I expected. Not perfect, but better.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Thanks. Yeah, that seems better than I expected. Not perfect, but better.

It really is incredible how snappy the app is. More games of course would be nice, as would more options (button mapping, borders etc.). For 20 quid a year, I think it's worth it. There's something very novel about playing NES games online with someone. 

1 minute ago, Nicktendo said:

It really is incredible how snappy the app is. More games of course would be nice, as would more options (button mapping, borders etc.). For 20 quid a year, I think it's worth it. There's something very novel about playing NES games online with someone. 

I'll be giving the free trial a go to see how it fares but i'm still unsure if I will actually subscribe. It depends on how much Monster Hunter can keep me hooked.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I take it you won't be renewing your subscription? :D 

Cancelled it already. :D

• Haha 1

Got mine for £14.01 with all the gold points I had. I can’t live without Thursday night Mario Kart league. 

I signed up for the 7 day free trial. It seems if you have some credit on your eshop account (enough to cover at least one month) you can sign up to the trial that without having Credit Card information saved. I unchecked the renew option right away though.

24 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

I signed up for the 7 day free trial. It seems if you have some credit on your eshop account (enough to cover at least one month) you can sign up to the trial that without having Credit Card information saved. I unchecked the renew option right away though.

Yeah, I done the same. I do appreciate just how easy it was to cancel the renewal policy. Lots of companies bury that so you have a nightmare trying to find it.

• Like 1