NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018

On my PS4 I usually wipe the data from the HDD once it's on the cloud, so I can see why people are upset over this.

I see NES games only work if an online check is done once a week. If I did subscribe to the service it wouldn't effect me as my Switch stays in the house but, as @killthenet said, it's yet another mark against online service. 

How big are the saves? Usually it's just a few KB, MB at most. It certainly is not a thing that you'd fill the console with and hence there would be no reason to delete the save files themselves from the Switch. 

On my PS4 I usually wipe the data from the HDD once it's on the cloud, so I can see why people are upset over this.
I see NES games only work if an online check is done once a week. If I did subscribe to the service it wouldn't effect me as my Switch stays in the house but, as [mention=2207]killthenet[/mention] said, it's yet another mark against online service. 
For a portable games console this is kind of silly. You could go on holiday for two weeks and only be able to play on those particular games for one. And not everywhere has free WiFi, and some you can only connect to after visiting a splash page (incompatibility issues).
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's £20. Yeah, it's decent value for essentially what will become a Netflix of NES games.

That doesn't stop the actual online service being substandard. It's still absolute nonsense that voice chat has to go through the app. I still can't get over that they went back to having a friend code rather than using the Nintendo Network ID from the Wii U/3DS era! In many ways, Nintendo's online offering was better in the last generation - you even had a whole online community in the form of Miiverse!

Xbox 360 and PS3 provided a better online service over a decade ago - yes the former charged for it, but we're a decade on now. Surely Nintendo should be at least matching that with their paid service? Yes, it's cheap, but it's no excuse when in some ways it's gone backwards from what they offered before for free.

Hopefully managing cloud saves is simple and it gives you plenty of warning ahead of when your subscription is due to end so anyone who has just got their saves on the cloud doesn't get fucked over.

They really should just keep playing online free, and I'm sure many would pay the £20 a year to have a subscription to NES games.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Mr-Paul said:

Yeah, it's £20. Yeah, it's decent value for essentially what will become a Netflix of NES games.

That doesn't stop the actual online service being substandard. It's still absolute nonsense that voice chat has to go through the app. I still can't get over that they went back to having a friend code rather than using the Nintendo Network ID from the Wii U/3DS era! In many ways, Nintendo's online offering was better in the last generation - you even had a whole online community in the form of Miiverse!

Xbox 360 and PS3 provided a better online service over a decade ago - yes the former charged for it, but we're a decade on now. Surely Nintendo should be at least matching that with their paid service? Yes, it's cheap, but it's no excuse when in some ways it's gone backwards from what they offered before for free.

Hopefully managing cloud saves is simple and it gives you plenty of warning ahead of when your subscription is due to end so anyone who has just got their saves on the cloud doesn't get fucked over.

They really should just keep playing online free, and I'm sure many would pay the £20 a year to have a subscription to NES games.

I agree with everything you've said here. The other consoles have had a better online service for over a decade and have enough improved upon in in that time. Nintendo have actually gone backwards since the Wii U.

This is how I see it too. They should keep the basic online service free and offer their Netflix style NES games service separately. If they beefed it up by adding SNES games, it would be more then worth it.

• Like 1

I've not played most of the NES games so I'm happy with that and looking forward to the SNES games whenever they drop. 

Apart from the free games it's still the same online experience, no messaging, no party invites and still stuck with that dumb phone app. Come on Nintendo you've had years to get this right. 

It's a old video but you can apply it to this Nintendo Online situation. Nintendo still moving at it's own pace. 

• Like 2

So a simple tally.. Who's getting it, regardless of complaints or praises? I want to know who's left to play Splatoon with after the cataclysm.

/raises hand (begrudgingly)

So a simple tally.. Who's getting it, regardless of complaints or praises? I want to know who's left to play Splatoon with after the cataclysm.
/raises hand (begrudgingly)
It's not quite what I was hoping for, especially when it comes to legacy-games, but at that price, it's not too bad. So I'm in!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J530F met Tapatalk

I don't play any games that would require it at the moment, so I'll not bother for now.

No, I don't think what they are offering is worth paying for and I don't personally care for the extras you get with it either.

I can afford it but I'm hesitant to go ahead and offer my support such a shoddy offering. Me paying £20 sends the message that I'm fine with what they are doing and that couldn't be further from the truth. 

There's only really Monster Hunter that I play online with my Switch but I've done what I set out to do on that so its not a huge deal. They've certainly got a lot of players by the balls with this. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I actually think this is expensive for what it is. It's more than half the price of the competitor but it's not even close to half the offering. It sounds like a really barebones service.

• Like 1

"expensive" lol.

Personally I'm paying 1 quid 50 a month for a Netflix style NES library, £18 a year for that suits me fine, especially when they add SNES games. The online, cloud saves and discounts is just a bonus.

Well, seeing as I've already lost all my save files once, and right after the latest Direct managed to drop my Switch onto concrete (didn't close the zipper on my backpack), I'm in just for the cloud saves alone.

• Like 1

I play online sparingly, mostly used it for FIFA but plan on using it quite a bit for Dark Souls but like @ArtMediocre I'm mostly in it for the peace of mind that cloud saves will bring so I'll definitely be subscribing. 

Edited by killthenet

"expensive" lol. Personally I'm paying 1 quid 50 a month for a Netflix style NES library, £18 a year for that suits me fine, especially when they add SNES games. The online, cloud saves and discounts is just a bonus.
It's all relative though when you say something is expensive - expensive doesn't mean it's a lot of money, just a lot of money for what you're getting. And by that I don't mean the actual cost of the games you're getting, but the perceived value - I don't think it's a surprise to say that most people will not place much value on this NES offering.  

They are missing just too many features in their online service (the fundamental part of a paid online subscription) to justify this cost. Saying it's £1.50 a month is all well and good to make it sound smaller but it's still £18 a year for very little to show. I sincerely doubt if online was optional many here would be subscribing for these NES games. Most NES enthusiasts would likely have already picked up the recent NES mini anyhow.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Saying it's £1.50 a month is all well and good to make it sound smaller

It's not "making it sound smaller", that's how much it costs, 1 quid 50 pence a month. It's not a particularly great service, but it's so cheap, whatever. And if the special offers include discounts on eShop games like PS+ does then it'll be even cheaper.

It's not "making it sound smaller", that's how much it costs, 1 quid 50 pence a month. It's not a particularly great service, but it's so cheap, whatever. And if the special offers include discounts on eShop games like PS+ does then it'll be even cheaper.

Well you don't actually pay £1.50 a month - that's the per month cost breakdown if you pay the one-time annual cost up front. So the cost you're paying is actually £18 in one go - if you want to pay monthly then it's £3.49 a month.   

What it feels like you're doing is what you often see in marketing - making something sound less by breaking it down into shorter lengths of time. You can make any amount of money sound small if you do that. I could even argue my PS4 Pro cost just 7 pounds a month over the full duration of when I'll use it to make it sound like a frivolous amount.

I don't see the issue with any of it. It's cheap, you get some free games and most games have cloud backup. Far too many moaning, priveledged princesses around. Far more important things in life than an 18month old Zelda save you'll barely use again.

Edited by Kaxxx

2 minutes ago, Clownferret said:

Hadn't Fortnite proved that you can use voice chat without the app??? 

Indeed but for whatever reason Nintendo wants people to use the app and that will be the only way to communicate in their own games.

Mario Kart will be playable for free online in the not too distant future on mobile phones. I wonder if that'll have a very negative affect on Switch online subscriptions?

Animal Crossing Pocket Camp is already out, Nintendo might find the 'cheap' subscription fee is a harder sell than they think with the more casual players.