NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018

2 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

I don't particular care that they told us in advance that one day the service will no longer be free, it still sucks that a this is being implemented a year and a half into the consoles life.

Personally I'd rather have it free for a year and a half than have to pay from day 1, but maybe that's just me.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Personally I'd rather have it free for a year and a half than have to pay from day 1, but maybe that's just me.

I'd rather it remained free for the entirety of the Switch's life span as I don't think what they are offering is worth any price (based on what we know right now)

• Like 1

I'd rather it remained free for the entirety of the Switch's life span as I don't think what they are offering is worth any price (based on what we know right now)
This. Nintendo's offering and their games just do not justify paying for online IMO.
  • Like 1

Personally, I'm paying 1 quid 50 pence a month just to play a library of NES/SNES games, and whatever else they add.

Personally, I'm paying 1 quid 50 pence a month just to play a library of NES/SNES games, and whatever else they add.
Hopefully they add some sort of cranial add-on that makes you forget that the last 25 years happened, thus making a library of NES/SNES games seem like a good deal.
  • Haha 5

I'm not saying I'd not want it for free - and personally I don't care about the retro-games at all - but at least it's really cheap. Like... it doesn't impact your economy at all unless you are super broke and then a gaming console is probably not a thing to own. Other than that, meh. I'll probably buy a subscription if I need it but for now, I'll just wait until I actually need it.

• Like 1

Well, for me it's simple...

Do I want to carry on playing Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate online?

The answer is obviously "Yes" so... I'm buying it regardless. ::shrug:

The there's Mario Kart 8 DX every week... (not too fussed about Splatoon 2 or Arms and I don't play Fortnite or anything "Free to Play" generally)

Plus there were retro games mentioned so... I'm interested, though I do prefer to own them, but I already own most NES and SNES games digitially several times over.

But I do want voice chat, on the system if possible as there isn't any way I would be using that awful app... I might as well just use Steam or something. :p

So in summary, I'm buying it but I will be interested to hear what other details are involved in enticing people to buy into it.

A free three month code with certain First-Party and Third-Party titles in the box wouldn't hurt or even digitially as well to get the ball rolling.

I know there is a 7-day trial anyway but... codes in boxes for online access always went down well in the Xbox 360 era, though there would probably be limitations.

Anyway, at least we'll finally get to hear all about it tonight. :peace:

Someone on Reddit has translated the family plan FAQ page on the Japanese Nintendo site. It's being assumed that the US and EU versions will work the same way:

Regarding the Family Plan:

• You cannot be in more than one family [plan].
  • If parental controls were set before 14th May 2018, it'll automatically apply to that account's family members.
  • You have the option to set a member to be the guardian account, and exercise parental controls on other family members. (Only one member can be the Managing account, but you can have multiple guardian accounts).
  • Within a family, members do not share MyNintendo points, eShop account balances, and purchase history.
  • Nintendo accounts linked with different switch systems can also be added as a Family member. [p.s. it says nothing regarding accounts from different regions i.e. whether this applies to an UK and US account as many have asked about, however, I have been able to add my own UK and JP account to one family. I'm unsure how the Online service will apply to this "family" though.]
  • If any member within a Family purchases the Nintendo Switch Online Family Plan, all members can enjoy the Online service. (You do not need to use the same Nintendo Switch console as the person who bought the Family Plan. The Nintendo Switch Online paid service will release in September 2018).

Regarding the Managing Account:

• You can invite other [normal, i.e. not linked with a family] Nintendo accounts into your Family.
  • If the Managing Account holder is 18+, you can create Child Accounts.
  • If the Managing Account holder is 18+, you may set any 18+ accounts in your Family as a Guardian account.
  • By accessing Family Settings, the Managing Account holder can delegate another account to be the Managing account, or remove members from the Family.

If you remove yourself as the Managing Account, the following happens:

• You will no longer be the Managing Account (however, if you held the role of a Guardian as well, your role/privileges as a Guardian remains)
  • All members of the Family, including yourself, will fall under the management of the new Managing Account Holder
  • You may no longer change the login ID nor password for Child Accounts
  • You can no longer add or remove Child Accounts
  • A copy of communication [regarding purchases] from Nintendo to the Child Account will no longer be sent to you (but will be sent to the new Managing Account Holder)

Other Information:

Q: What happens if the Managing Account was deleted?

A: The Family will disband, all accounts associated with the Family will no longer belong in any Family (i.e. they may join another Family), Parental Controls will no longer apply. If any Child Accounts were created under the Family, they will be deleted along with the Managing Account. The only way to prevent this is to give the role of Managing Account to someone else first (see above). If you contact Nintendo within 30 days of deleting the account, it is possible to recover the account.

Q: My family has multiple Nintendo Switch consoles, if we purchase the Family Plan, would the multiple accounts and multiple switches in my family all receive the Nintendo Switch Online service?

A: Yes. Even if the members of your family use separate Switch consoles, if all of the accounts used on those Switches fall under the same Family, all accounts can use the Nintendo Switch Online service. (You do not need to be using the same Switch as the person who purchased the Family Plan)

Q: Family Plans can only be purchased by an Nintendo Account Holder who is 18+, are there any age restrictions which apply to members of the Family using the Family Plan?

A: No. The purchase must be made by someone with an 18+ Nintendo Account, but the members of the Family can be of any age. They will be able to access all aspects of the Online service with the exception of the smart phone app, which has an age restriction of 13.

Now that we know that they didn’t have much to show during the Direct, I have to say that I am disappointed with Nintendo with regards to Online. I do think that this would be a completely different story had it been available from the very beginning at launch, and if it had been paid for from the very start, but, because it wasn’t, I can’t help but realise that we’ve not seen or heard about anything with regards Online which couldn’t have been prepared for March 3rd of last year. 

That is to say that I’ll likely pick up a subscription when I do get a Switch anyways (more for the sake of convenience as opposed to popping a game in and finding that I can’t use its only functionality), but I do think that this shows poor management of the situation on Nintendo’s behalf. I would like to think that they’ve waited to listen to what customers want implemented, but there’s ultimately not much different about their service which is launching next Tuesday when compared to what we knew of it at the time of its announcement. And, if that’s the case, then why not just be sincerely honest about the situation from the start, as opposed to dancing around topics like Virtual Console, when you know full well that it wasn’t in store? 

I’m not upset with the situation (personally, I haven’t played many of these NES games, so I could get a few hours of fun out of them I’m sure), but I am perplexed by some of their decisions in the last 18 months. 

Yeah, I'm not excited about it, but I'll get it regardless. Even though I have some games I can play without (AoV, Fortnite etc), I want to be able to play all online games. The NES games will provide the occasional fun, but it's nothing to get hyped about. I want to buy them. That said, 3rd party support.. I want TNMT 2 instead of that Capcom bundle.

Here is the list of NES games (stolen from Era) that are to be released.

SP = Special version in EU for some reason. 

Launch titles:

• Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Donkey Kong™
  • Mario Bros.™
  • Super Mario Bros.™
  • Balloon Fight™
  • Ice Climber™
  • Dr. Mario™
  • The Legend of Zelda™
  • Super Mario Bros.™ 3
  • Double Dragon
  • River City Ransom
  • Ghosts'n Goblins™
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • Gradius
  • Pro Wrestling
  • Excitebike™
  • Yoshi™
  • Ice Hockey
  • Baseball

October:

• Double Dragon (SP)
  • Gradius (SP)
  • NES Open Tournament Golf
  • Solomon's Key
  • SUPER DODGE BALL
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (SP)

November:

• Dr. Mario (SP)
  • Metroid (SP)
  • Mighty Bomb Jack
  • Super Mario Bros. (SP)
  • TwinBee

December:

• Adventures of Lolo
  • The Legend of Zelda (SP)
  • NINJA GAIDEN
  • Wario's Woods

Edited by Hero-of-Time

They are good titles.... That I've played countless times by now and the online aspects are not enough for me to care to be frank. I think it's likely I'm going to skip the online service on the switch. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ike said:

Why is Zelda there twice, one being the SP version?

The official site refers to the SP as "Special Edition"

Make of that what you will.

8 minutes ago, Ike said:

Why is Zelda there twice, one being the SP version?

There are a couple of titles that are repeated. I'm still not sure what the "Special" is referring to though.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There are a couple of titles that are repeated. I'm still not sure what the "Special" is referring to though.

I mean, my guess would be online capabilities. Although Zelda is throwing me off there...

8 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Yeah, I'm not excited about it, but I'll get it regardless. Even though I have some games I can play without (AoV, Fortnite etc), I want to be able to play all online games. The NES games will provide the occasional fun, but it's nothing to get hyped about. I want to buy them. That said, 3rd party support.. I want TNMT 2 instead of that Capcom bundle.

Where did you pick up that Fortnite would still be F2P online? I assumed that any game requiring an online connection would be behind the pay wall. 

23 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I mean, my guess would be online capabilities. Although Zelda is throwing me off there...

Why is it throwing you off?

I would assume the same as well.

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Why is it throwing you off?

I would assume the same as well.

What would Zelda have though? Co-op? Leaderboards?

Actually, I'd be down for that. No idea how you'd implement it...

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah I figured time trials (of the whole game) or leaderboards.

Wasn't it rumoured/sort of confirmed that the free to play titles like Fortnite would remain as such, and not locked behind the online paywall.

Overall, Nintendo did a Nintendo with the online info.  Didn't learn anything else we didn't already know, the NES Switch controllers though do look nice.  I'll pick up the online service, as i like a few games of Rocket League and Splatoon from time to time.  Hopefully they provide more enticement to get the online service.  I know Microsoft put codes in each console box for Xbox Live month trial, so maybe Nintendo could do similar.  Would be no harm in doing so, heck as a long shot could even included a years sub in the box for new customers.

The NES titles though, can get a few hours out of them at least.

59 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Unless it's the Satellaview version?

28 minutes ago, Ike said:

Unless it's the Satellaview version?

That's what I was thinking. :D

Or more like, hoping, wishing...

It would be nice though, but then again that's something I'd want to own rather than it being locked behind an online paywall...

...although that's what the game was originally I suppose, so it would be true to its roots. ;)

I like that they are adding more NES title on top of the original 20 but I still only really care about the online service itself having some kind of improvement, which it isn't.

Cloud saves are deleted once your subscription ends, there is no grace period so unless you renew right away your data is deleted. This sounds really bad at first, and people on resetera are expectedly losing their minds over it, but I suppose it'll only really effect you if your subscription runs out while your Switch is out for repair and you don't renew it or if you delete the local save data and forget to renew it but personally I can't imagine a situation where I would delete a games save from my Switch's internal storage, to me the cloud saves are just there for peace of mind and not to permanently replace the Switch's internal save storage. 

Still, its yet another negative headline to come out of Nintendo's online service before its even launched. They have a lot of ground to make up to convince people its a worthwhile venture.